-=Sci=-

The official G.I. JOE movie thread!

Looks like a stupid good time of a movie... Can't wait!

If Ray Park wasn't gonna be cast as Snake Eyes, I would never make an attempt to see the film.

OK. Well, beyond the terrible CGI work on display in the trailer, I don't think it's a good idea, in a film titled "rise of the cobra" for one man to be asking another man about his unit. ;)

Green fog melting the Eiffel tower didn't grab me at all. It just seems totally out of place. But, so does the gymnastic CGI robot guys flipping away from the slow motion explosion. I just find myself wondering why they remind me of the dancing halo avatar gifs we see online.

The casting. I really don't understand a large part of the casting choices (with the exception of that one chopper pilot though), and this trailer didn't ease any of those concerns. I guess overall, that's my real issue. I needed this trailer to make me want to see it, not put me off from seeing it.

I really hate the overall direction they've taken with the look and design of the film, the art direction is terrible. I dislike the design work done on snake eyes intensely.

This kind of film should be a production designers wet dream, and a guy like me who loves movie props should be excited to see what they've cooked up. But I'm not because Scarlett's handguns look like black and decker drills, and they are issuing GI Joe the same weapons I see every friday on Battlestar Galactica, right down to the scope.

But, the trailer overall. Nothing was compelling about it. Nothing wowed me. Quite the opposite.

The green fog melting the Eiffel tower is like something straight out of the cartoon, this movie should be played up with a bit of camp, but with Sommers it just never seems to work out.

Guest AdminGuyX

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40881

GI Joe:Resolute aired on the cartoon network last night. It was pretty good. They used real guns (as opposed to the lasers used in past cartoons) and a lot of folks were killed. Violently. Some really decent anime style death and mayhem.

Never expected to see a GI Joe cartoon like this. Go check the preview vids for a cool Snake Eyes segment that goes a long way to making the whole film.

The whole thing is online at adult swim, I really don't see the movie being better than that.

Well, it ain't gonna be better than the Resolute cartoon. Then again it's just G.I. Joe and I'm all too invested in the charaters so if it's just gonna be dumb fun, hopefully it'll be good dumb fun.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40881

GI Joe:Resolute aired on the cartoon network last night. It was pretty good. They used real guns (as opposed to the lasers used in past cartoons) and a lot of folks were killed. Violently. Some really decent anime style death and mayhem.

Never expected to see a GI Joe cartoon like this. Go check the preview vids for a cool Snake Eyes segment that goes a long way to making the whole film.

My friend Dan Norton was Lead Art Designer on this project. I don't know GI Joe very well, but just as a stand alone animated feature, I really enjoyed it. There were quite a few scenes particularly the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow fight that had the blood edited out of them as a last minute decision by Hasbro. Dan said they will likely release it to DVD next and probably add a few scenes to it.

The feature was broken into 11 webisodes that are available on youtube for those that missed it.

If anyone on this board saw it, I'd love to let Dan know you all thought of it.

Mike

So no one here on the forum is talking about G.I. Joe this weekend, huh? Can't blame you. I was expecting a trainwreck. My roommate is a HUGE fan. He worked on the film. He saw a press screening. The crew screening. Got to interview people on the red carpet at the premiere. And offered to buy my ticket to see it today. His third time, by the way. He insisted that while it wasn't true to Joe lore (he would know) it's fun and entertaining.

He was wrong. It was awful. I hated it. Not as much as WOLVERINE. But I hated it. I grew up on X-MEN comics and G.I. Joe toys and this summer took a big shit on my childhood memories with two awful films.

First of all, how do you get SNAKE EYES wrong? His mask looks terrible. He has a mouth, which looks stupid. The visor is not cool. It's a terrible design. You cast the perfect actor, Ray Park, who could actually do everything you would ever want SNAKE EYES to do. But he does nothing in this film. His fight scenes with STORM SHADOW are completely boring and poorly shot. There is absolutely nothing exciting about them. In the Paris sequence, he hangs onto a car for 10 minutes. They don't even try to give him any sort of personality. He's just there. He's not cool. He's not badass. He's not memorable in any way in this film.

Lots of things blow up in this movie. It's full of awful CGI, just like every Stephen Sommers movie. There are huge action sequences where nothing really of consequence happens. You're never invested. You never care about anyone. Most of the time, it's difficult to tell what's going on because it's so poorly photographed. And whenever someone is in harm's way or if there's a bad guy about to get caught, some ship or other cheat flies in to save the day. It's really sad. I would say that Stephen Sommers should be ashamed, but he's such a hack, I don't think he knows better. I bet he actually likes this picture. And it's so dumb and so slick, it will probably make a pile of money and lead to a series.

When I saw Channing Tatum in A GUIDE TO RECOGNIZING YOUR SAINTS, I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He was fantastic in that film. I had never seen nor heard of him before. I thought, this guy's gonna have a big career. Aside from a decent performance in STOP-LOSS, I haven't seen him do anything near that caliber since. For the most part, he was embarrassing in FIGHTING. There were a few good moments, but his performance was rotten. And here he's dull. He has the kind of role here that Michael Biehn used to play in the '80s. But you couldn't take your eyes off of Biehn in those roles and you absolutely rooted for him. He was dangerous. Badass. But true blue. Imagine a G.I. Joe movie in the late '80s/early '90s with Biehn as the lead and James Cameron at the helm. That's what the franchise deserves. But nothing like that is ever gonna happen.

I could go on and on about how this film does not even try to be logical. It really makes no attempt at logic whatsoever on any level.

It's also a wasted opportunity, because they only focus on a handful of known characters. There are so many opportunities to cameo characters from Joe lore in this picture. A couple lines here, a couple lines there. But they can't be bothered.

Stuart Beattie wrote this screenplay in 6 weeks. He was hired 6 weeks before the WGA strike. He spent 3 weeks outlining and a whopping 3 weeks writing. And it shows. I know he was brought back during production and there are other writers credited here as well, but the damage was done. I will never understand how a studio sinks upwards of $150 million into a potential franchise launching picture like this with a screenplay that was written start to finish in 6 weeks. That's the worst investment ever. It's a horrible by the numbers screenplay that does not even try to be fresh in any way. I guess you can't expect much in 6 weeks, but why hamper yourself like this? Did they really need to hit a release date that bad?

The only good thing about this picture is Sienna Miller as The Baroness. And she's hardly great, she's just better than everything around her. She's actually compelling to watch. Rachel Nichols is pretty good too actually.

I take that back, I did like something else about the film. The flashback scenes of young Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are really fun. Their fight scenes are way better than the adult fight scenes. And they're actually photographed pretty well.

As I said at the top of this post, my roommate, Josh Eggebeen, conducted some red carpet interviews for Yo Joe.com. I helped him out and edited the footage, which can be seen here. It's some pretty fun stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/antarcticajoe

Brian buddy, you need some Alka-Selser? ;)

Guest AdminGuyX

Yes, one of our own, mister Fred Doss has been killed both by Transformers, and now Cobra, which I think is pretty cool. Not everybody can walk around saying that.

The opening scene did have some intensity, but it was diffused by Duke running after "Anna" yelling her name.

I didn't like the film either, but as I've told some of my other friends, I'm not judging it too harshly because it's a kids movie, and really doesn't try to be anything more than a live action saturday morning cartoon. I don't think this was ever going to be anything but a spy kids type flick.

And if you watched the cartoon, you know that these kinds of cheesy action scenes, and simple plot devices are what GI Joe has always been about.

I didn't like Tatum as Duke. As I posted elsewhere, they should have used Fred. He would have given the performance some gravity and authority. The scenes after he was captured in particular he came off as a hip hop club kid with an attitude, not a trained soldier. He never came across as a natural leader.

As someone who collected the figures as a kid, I hated the way Cobra Commander was written, and the fact that everything was tied to Duke so closely. I thought Sienna Miller was pretty hot in it though.

The Paris chase was too long, and I agree, Snake eyes was wasted in the film.

The other thing that bothered me about the movie.

"When all else fails, we don't."

Unless Cobra comes around, then we fail on an epic level. Over, and over again until one of them turns on their own and helps us.

;)

Yeah, I'm not sure why they designed Snake eyes the way they did. I was waiting for some sort of explanation about his fake mouth and odd muscle armor.

Thanks for the love Noeland. I really don't have a problem with folks not digging the flick. I think it's on a level with flicks like Transformers and The Mummy and is going to keep me in residuals for awhile.

I was also VERY happy with my scene. I actually got to shoot at stuff. 3 of the 4 apache folks from the film have accounts on facebook if anyone is interested. Ken Thomas, who was also decapitated in Sin City is one. Buzz Covington, the real deal apache pilot currently serving in Iraq, is another.

I agree with Noeland that the film captured the essence of the cartoon on a grand scale. It's probably going to catch a lot of hell for giving fans of the original cartoon almost exactly what the show gave us, with a much higher body count.

I could have also gone for more Ray Park, but at least it wasn't Darth Maul (we'll get him back in a sequel) and I totally agree about the mouth thing. WTF?

In short, I dug it. I think it was way more true to the source material than Transformers was and I think the film will be successful in the same way Armaggedon was. :)

I woulda been happy as fuck is Doss was Duke. Shit. I've said and expressed very clearly how I don't approve of Tatum as Duke.

I'm still debating on whether or not I should see it though. I'm gonna have to because our man Fred is in it.

Fred, I love ya but I can't go see Joe at the theater.

I can't do it to myself. But I promise to rent it or illegally download it after theatrical run!

Kidding about that last bit ;)

Anyway, You know i love ya, this is more about Sommers than anything else.

'Sides, sounds like box office is treating Joe right so you don't need me anyway.

Glad you got to do your thing and I hope you loved it!

Way to go buddy!

- TB