-=Sci=-

The official G.I. JOE movie thread!

Hey I've said this before on another forum...

Am I the only one who gets a Starship Troopers meets Street Fight (and I'm talking the Van Damme film) vibe from this...

Because that is a very scary vibe... a very scary vibe indeed.

I hope when the trailers come out it doesn't turn that vibe into a deep rooted gut feeling.

(who knows... G.I. Joe could end up being the scariest movie of 2009)

My roommate PA'd on this flick. He's a hardcore Joe fan and he's all over the Joe boards. From what he saw, hardcore Joe fans will be disappointed, but the general public will dig it. Apparently it's not a very faithful adaptation story wise.

But his first day was a sword fight between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow and apparently that was pretty fucking cool to see in person.

Sommers has only done one truly fun movie and that was Deep Rising, and I really don't see this being on that level at all.

Sommers has only done one truly fun movie and that was Deep Rising, and I really don't see this being on that level at all.

I would have to agree with you. DEEP RISING was way more fun than I thought it would be.

I did also like his Elijah Wood HUCK FINN movie, though I haven't seen it since it came out. Everything he's done since is garbage.

TV Spot is online. I'm getting a Van Helsing vibe from it, and you know it's GI Joe so it shouldn't this serious gritty film. But it's Sommers, so it'll most likely be crap, he shat away all of his Deep Rising goodwill years ago.

This Super Bowl spot is TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. I know a lot about this flick, but it looks so much worse than I imagined.

Are we really gonna use WAR ZONE as the bar for anything?

Well...

And...I was also IN GI Joe...so fuck it. I vote GI JOE. :)

Well...

And...I was also IN GI Joe...so fuck it. I vote GI JOE. :)

LOL - Yep, get behind it Fred.

And thanks for telling me a little about the experience.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, Fred, you know I love ya buddy, but the trailer makes me cringe.

I'm going to see the film to support you though.

Well, Fred, you know I love ya buddy, but the trailer makes me cringe.

I'm going to see the film to support you though.

What was so bad about it other than some potentially over-the-top CGI? It's going to be a popcorn flick for sure, but I don't think that's a surprise to anyone. I think it actually looks pretty cool.

And I appreciate the support. :)

What was so bad about it other than some potentially over-the-top CGI? It's going to be a popcorn flick for sure, but I don't think that's a surprise to anyone. I think it actually looks pretty cool.

Was there anything good about it? They looked ridiculous. The action was over the top. The CGI was obvious. I would love to see a great G.I. Joe movie. But this looks horrible.

And I appreciate the support. :)

Like I said, Sommers has shat away all the good will he had from Deep Rising with Van Helsing.

It very well may end up being fun, but Sommers lost the right to get the benefit of the doubt.

Different thresholds of tastes going on here and that's cool.

GI Joe is likely not my kind of movie but I'm going to support Fred and take our friend's two boys to go see it when it comes out.

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised to a degree. Maybe I'll be indifferent, maybe I'll hate it. But it is what it is. GI Joe is not the kind of material that really needs to be much more than a popcorn movie with a certain target audience. Good or bad, that target audience will still shell out significant dough for the JOE.

Yes, I normally rail against this (specially Sommers, who I'm sure is a good guy in spite of my not liking the majority of his films) kind of popcorn entertainment . . . But in this case I make an exception in support of one of our members. We can all afford to take a day off from being movie snobs once in a while ;)

- TB

Agreed on the benefit of the doubt thing Mike. I was not a fan of Van Helsing at all and THAT is being tactful. :)

Tim, thanks for the support. Means a lot to me that you'll be dragging yourself to this one for me! I know how you hate movies without heart. Wish I had something cooler under my belt to show you all, but so far this is about it...unless you're into romantic comedy...or if roles happen to open up in something I can really do some cool shit on. :)

I'm also not trying to be overly defensive of G.I. Joe. I am primarily excited about seeing RAY PARK as Snakeyes and still would have been pumped to see this EVEN if I wasn't a small part of it.

Fred

Agreed on the benefit of the doubt thing Mike. I was not a fan of Van Helsing at all and THAT is being tactful. :)

Tim, thanks for the support. Means a lot to me that you'll be dragging yourself to this one for me! I know how you hate movies without heart. Wish I had something cooler under my belt to show you all, but so far this is about it...unless you're into romantic comedy...or if roles happen to open up in something I can really do some cool shit on. :)

I'm also not trying to be overly defensive of G.I. Joe. I am primarily excited about seeing RAY PARK as Snakeyes and still would have been pumped to see this EVEN if I wasn't a small part of it.

Fred

Im going to go see it buddy, along with my friends. I have to! I have so many child hood memorys! I loved the toys the orginal Cartoon! I cant wait.

Guest AdminGuyX
What was so bad about it other than some potentially over-the-top CGI?

I'll tell you my thoughts as long as you promise not to take it personally.

Guest AdminGuyX

OK. Well, beyond the terrible CGI work on display in the trailer, I don't think it's a good idea, in a film titled "rise of the cobra" for one man to be asking another man about his unit. ;)

Green fog melting the Eiffel tower didn't grab me at all. It just seems totally out of place. But, so does the gymnastic CGI robot guys flipping away from the slow motion explosion. I just find myself wondering why they remind me of the dancing halo avatar gifs we see online.

The casting. I really don't understand a large part of the casting choices (with the exception of that one chopper pilot though), and this trailer didn't ease any of those concerns. I guess overall, that's my real issue. I needed this trailer to make me want to see it, not put me off from seeing it.

I really hate the overall direction they've taken with the look and design of the film, the art direction is terrible. I dislike the design work done on snake eyes intensely.

This kind of film should be a production designers wet dream, and a guy like me who loves movie props should be excited to see what they've cooked up. But I'm not because Scarlett's handguns look like black and decker drills, and they are issuing GI Joe the same weapons I see every friday on Battlestar Galactica, right down to the scope.

But, the trailer overall. Nothing was compelling about it. Nothing wowed me. Quite the opposite.