-=Sci=-

The official G.I. JOE movie thread!

Slideshow from Yahoo:

G.I. Joe Cast

Ok, so before I head out to the gym there's alot here for me to cover.

I'll start off with the Snake Eyes FULL reveal on the count that this thread began with Ray's casting.

snakeeyes8bhw2.jpgsnakeeyes5blo4.jpg

snakeeyes3bno5.jpgsnakeeyes4blc2.jpg

DENNIS QUAID IS BRIGADIER GENERAL CLAYTON "HAWK" ABERNATHY

dennisquaidgijoebcv9.jpgdennisquaidgijoe4bnz2.jpg

dennisquaidgijoe2bmv2.jpgdennisquaidgijoe3bku3.jpg

More below...

-TL

Now the role Jane shoulda taken...

CHANNING TATUM IS FIRST SERGEANT CONRAD "DUKE" HAUSER

channingtatumisdukebmv0.jpgchanningtatumisduke2bye1.jpgchanningtatumisduke3bue3.jpg

And here's the reason why I would have taken it without even reading the script...

SIENNA MILLER IS ANASTASIA "THE BARONESS" DeCOBRAY

siennamillergijoebka1.jpgsiennamillergijoe3bqr0.jpg

siennamillergijoe2bot0.jpgsiennamillergijoe5bdr2.jpg

-TL

Now the role Jane shoulda taken...

CHANNING TATUM AS FIRST SERGEANT CONRAD "DUKE" HAUSER

channingtatumisdukebmv0.jpgchanningtatumisduke2bye1.jpgchanningtatumisduke3bue3.jpg

-TL

I gotta respectfully disagree with ya on this one TL.

Tom would have balked heavily at this costume for one.

I don't think he'd be caught dead in it.

And with Summers helming I don't think there was ever a chance.

Stephen specializes in the kind of fare that makes us both cringe.

And while GI Joe is a cool concept (and even cooler with Ray as SE), this already seems like 90210 with martial arts, explosions, violence, and a veteran actor who looks uncomfortable in these gallery shots.

I totally understand folks excitement, but it SEEMS like it's another in a long line of "event" popcorn fare.

Long on hot young actors and short on substance.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Totally cool, I'm not downing the formula . . . OK, yes I am ;)

What I mean is, I'm not downing anyone who's into it.

Jane sniffed the formula all over this one from DAY one, mainly because of the fingerprints.

I for one am very glad he passed. Maybe he could have sucked in some jack and some younger fans along the way.

But that has never been his style.

From my personal perspective the costume looks like a vid game style armored leotard.

I've seen way too many permutations of this style of design, though I'm sure many will love it regardless.

- tB

Ok, I say Quaid looks uncomfortable, what I mean is, stiff.

- tb

PS - and I never realized what a huge melon he has ;)

He's giving Robert Patrick a run for his money!

Well, I don't think Quaid's outfit is any less comfortable than Jane's in The Punisher. Standard Urban Strike BDUs and a fitting t-shirt.

Tatum on the other hand - yes I can see your point.

Why do I think Jane made a mistake in turning this down so bluntly? He coulda made it awesome.

Alot of actors (and this don't make 'em conceded individuals high off their own supply) know their sole involvement in a questionable project as this one can literally make an enormous difference. This is not a formula that always works, but it does in most cases. The cast as it is now is not bad (Quaid and Sienna Miller are certifiable), so the idea of Jane leading it - seemed very promising.

For instance, The Mutant Chronicles looks very similar to this. Its based partly on a video game from the 90s and its an ensemble (team) cast led by Jane. Its a sci-fi film about necromutants and it was shot for less than $10 Million. Then there's Simon Hunter which hasn't really done anything worth remembering. I mean, Jane takes this tiny little British project that landed John Malkovich (who's been decaying as an actor horribly) and Ron Perlman (which will do whatever) for probably zero money and he turns down fuckin G.I. JOE. Popcorn or no popcorn its fuckin G.I. JOE.

As generic as it may sound, I gotta say that this looks far more promising even without Jane.

-TL

I mean, Jane takes this tiny little British project that landed John Malkovich (who's been decaying as an actor horribly) and Ron Perlman (which will do whatever) for probably zero money and he turns down fuckin G.I. JOE. Popcorn or no popcorn its fuckin G.I. JOE.

-TL

I gotta disagree, this is why John Malkovich is still great .

Well, I don't think Quaid's outfit is any less comfortable than Jane's in The Punisher. Standard Urban Strike BDUs and a fitting t-shirt.

I agree, but the outfit wasn't what I was referring to, the outfit is fine. I'm just saying DQ looks a bit stiff is all.

Probably just the nature of getting gussied up for a gallery shoot at 5 in the morning ;)

Tatum on the other hand - yes I can see your point.

Why do I think Jane made a mistake in turning this down so bluntly? He coulda made it awesome.

There is always that hope ;)

Alot of actors (and this don't make 'em conceded individuals high off their own supply) know their sole involvement in a questionable project as this one can literally make an enormous difference.

There is a certain amount of truth to this, I concede . . .

This is not a formula that always works, but it does in most cases.

Most cases? You are slipping off my road here TL :) Granted it's happened, but I'd say more often than not it goes the other way.

And in those cases it makes it tough to find work for the actor in spite of a good performance, case in point The Punisher. And while it may have it's fans, most Hollywood power people give it a thumbs down.

The cast as it is now is not bad (Quaid and Sienna Miller are certifiable), so the idea of Jane leading it - seemed very promising.

Quaid and Miller are the real thing. Park is exciting to watch. The jury is still out on the rest.

But you're right, having Jane would have made it better.

For instance, The Mutant Chronicles looks very similar to this. Its based partly on a video game from the 90s and its an ensemble (team) cast led by Jane. Its a sci-fi film about necromutants and it was shot for less than $10 Million.

Exactly, the one thing Mutant has going for it as a concept is that it IS based on a vid game from the 90's. It's largely off the radar now, so it's not like there are hundreds of thousands of people (as with GI Joe); their childhood toys clutched firmly in their meaty little fingers, hovering on pins and needles with major expectations. I think the lower budget was a blessing, and the truth of the matter is 10M looks more like 50M when you see it on screen, a testament to Simon, Geoff Boyle, and their vision.

Then there's Simon Hunter which hasn't really done anything worth remembering.

But, passion and smarts go a long way. He SOLD Jane on doing it. That's something that recently, Renny Harlin and a number of other directors WITH a track record haven't been able to do.

I mean, Jane takes this tiny little British project that landed John Malkovich (who's been decaying as an actor horribly) and Ron Perlman (which will do whatever) for probably zero money and he turns down fuckin G.I. JOE. Popcorn or no popcorn its fuckin G.I. JOE.

Jane took it because he liked the script and and loved Simon's passion. In the case of GI Joe, neither the script or the director ignited TJ's flame.

Still, I completely understand the disappointment. But I'm more disappointed that Dark Country ended up conflicting with Tom playing The Comedian in The Watchmen!

As generic as it may sound, I gotta say that this looks far more promising even without Jane.

Fair enough, but I have a feeling you might be changing your mind.

Until then Mon Frere.

- TB

-TL

Street I have to agree with you on the reality of well known directors going to shit through mainstream projects.

I also concur on the fact that I am but one of few that considers Jane's Punisher a great film. I wanna take this opportunity to specify that it's not an opinion based purely on Jane's performance. I hate when people use the comment "The movie sucked, but Jane was great." I say to that "What a load of shit."

I loved hearing you back up Jonathan Hensleigh on the podcast. He shot Jane as if Jane were Eastwood or Bronson. The overall film is a throwback to the Leone/Peckinpah/Siegel westerns of the late 60s and early 70s. I'm assuming that's why Jane took the project. People seem to think that he was brain-dead when he signed on. He read the script and obviously liked it as well as Hensleigh's intentions for it.

I hated hearing that Jane turned down The Watchmen, but he was sorta makin another [throwback] film in the desert. I respect that alot. That remids me of another recent general opinion that I despise - if an actor turns down a mainstream role he's automatically fuckin "Robin Hood: Leader of the Cinematic Rebellion". To that I say "What a load of shit."

Some blockbusters can be very good. There's no shame in accepting a role that comes with a $20 Million paycheck.

Street (and Thomas), you know I will be in the theater watching Mutant Chronicles the first day it comes out regardless of its implications to be an inferior film to what Jane's G.I. JOE coulda been.

I don't have gargantuan hopes for G.I. JOE, but I think it can go places despite Jane dissaproving of it. Didn't the guy turn down Synger's X-Men?

Last but not least (and very off topic) I still wanna know what Mr. Racine thought was wacky about a 7 foot white man that weighs 350 lbs forcing Frank Castle to stab himself in the chest with an 8 inch butterfly knife. That podcast I am really looking forward to, mainly because Racine's immediate opinion on the issue proves that "Hollywood Power People" today and the general public they base their decisions on are afraid of brutal violence on-screen despite the effectiveness of it. We live in a brutally violent society and any artistic depiction of that violence makes a large impact on us because we know it could happen. Violence isn't wacky. Blood isn't wacky. Pain isn't wacky.

-TL

I may be a tad negative about GI Joe and Mr. Summers but I've said this before and I'll say it again.

I'm fully ready to eat a heaping helping of CROW if Summers ever pulls off something that meets my holier than thou criteria ;)

I don't hate the guy and I have no hate for GI Joe (just no passionate love either).

Given that, I hope it IS good, and I hope it is a step above the normal "let's take a beloved property and turn it into a movie franchise" modus operandi.

Good observations above TL.

And we'll have to take Racine to task over his obviously callous dismissal of a lovely brutal scene next show.

Clue me to the podcast in question so I can go back and listen in preparation for making him pay the piper.

I love to see a man defend his position whilst sitting in a deep fryer.

Only the nose full of french-fried Racine glute will take a little of the enjoyment out of it for me.

- TB

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic . . . .

Two hotties that'll make the movie a whole lot more fun to watch...

RACHEL NICHOLS IS MASTER SERGEANT SHANA "SCARLETT" O'HARA

rachelnicholsgijoe2biy8.jpgrachelnicholsgijoe5bhd9.jpg

rachelnicholsgijoe3bdv5.jpgrachelnicholsgijoebxq4.jpg

KAROLINA KURKOVA IS CORPORAL COURTNEY "COVER GIRL" KREIGER

karolinakorkovaiscovergsg6.jpgkarolinakorkovaiscovergzv5.jpg

karolinakorkovaiscovergyz9.jpgkarolinakorkovaiscovergdq1.jpg

*Observation. Having a vast knoledge of Military ranking and paygrades, I'm noticing alot of these young actors couldn't possibly reach their ranks at their ages. It takes a minimum of 12 years (4 service stripes) to make E-8 - the grade that Tatum (27) and Nichols (28) are supposed to be. Jane at 39 woulda been perfect to play an E-8 First Sergeant. So far the only accurate selection has been Quaid, who at 54 is at the most common age range for a starting General (Brigadier/1 star), which is 45-55.

-TL

Thank God for tailored BDU's.

'Been a shame to have covered all those curves with standard issue.

Scarlett's apparel looks like a leftover from Mimi Rogers from Lost In Space.

But she's awful cute.

- tb

Guest AdminGuyX

As a kid I watched the cartoon every day, and I collected the action figures. I was a fan.

I was very much looking forward to this flick, and the first batch of Snake Eyes photos had me pretty geeked for it.

Then, I saw his mouth. His fucking mouth with what looks like black rubber lips.

:(

He might as well be pink with bunny ears. Obviously they covered his mouth with solid shadow black in the initial photos for a reason. Beyond betraying what the character is, it just looks terrible. From a purely aesthetic perspective, it just doesn't work for me. I mean, when he speaks will we see shiny white teeth? And since his mouth is showing, I think we can count on him being a regular chatterbox in the film. Otherwise, why do it? I doubt there will be much eating, smoking, oral sex, or whistling.

Duke's costume looks a bit starship troopers, and a bit like floor mats my friend has in his truck. And giving him a scar and some boy band facial hair ain't gonna age him.

And the fact that they all look so young bothers me. They might as well be in high school, and Dennis Quade is the grumpy principal. It will probably be the same dynamic.

I'm going to bet that DQ did some balking about the costumes. I don't care for the GI Joe logo on the camo, but I don't hate it either. I do like his 1911 and the holster rig though.

The Baroness looks like they threw a pirate belt and some holsters on a costume from X-men. Really uncreative design.

I cringe at the thought of what they are going to do with Destro and Cobra Commander.

And as an aside, I seem to remember Jane saying he thinks they failed at achieving what they were trying for with The Punisher. I would agree. But, I am of the opinion that the movie sucked but Jane was excellent. And that's NOT a load of shit TL.

Mutant Chronicles looks good. The costume design works, and the overall feel of the shots I've seen make it look very good. And the steam powered props kick ass.

Anyway . . .

Knowing is half the battle, and now I know the characters look odd.

:)

And I know, I know, early promotional costume photos always look like ass. I know this.

PS- The contoured booby armor is just silly looking, IMHO.

Then, I saw his mouth. His fucking mouth with what looks like black rubber lips.

When I first looked at it I thought it was Ray's own face painted black.

But upon closer scrutiny it looks like some kind of black face mask.

Which seems odd when you could just do the mask without the facial details and nail it.

Which leads me to wonder why.

Why would they do that?

There has got to be a reason.

Or at least one would hope so given that they've changed a pretty sacred element of the Snake eyes look.

Shit, now I'M speculating!

Sheesh.

- tb

You know, I always thought Quaid would've have made an excellent Harvey Dent.

The costuming is just bland.

Noeland your opinion on Jane's Punisher is so typical I'm generally annoyed by having to reply to it.

"I think the movie sucked, but I loved the lead character that was on-screen 90 of the 120 minutes." NO.

That right there is an excuse to avoid taking a solid stance on a film. You either liked it (all of it) or you didn't like it. Just pick one.

Jane's not gonna get mad if you speak up, nor is Bradstreet. Hell, Street liked it. He just didn't love it. I have never heard him say "It sucked but Jane was excellent."

Statements like that are a load of shit. You don't vote for both parties. You don't cheer on both teams in a football game. Jane IS the movie and if you thought the movie was shit - well just remember Jane's face is ALL OVER that shit.

And another thing, Jane's mention of The Punisher's failure in the podcast wasn't directed at the first film. He was talkin about the failure of not being able to do his version of Punisher II on the count of the studio's ignorance.

I don't even think you're a fan of Jane's. You didn't like The Punisher and I'm pretty sure that you haven't seen him in much else. My personal theory is that your only interest in Jane lies with Street's involvement with him. That's it. I think this whole "Jane was great in Punisher" thing you got goin' on is purely out of respect. And that's cool man.

Now back to G.I. JOE...

I was surprised to learn that Skip Woods wrote this film. Woods wrote and directed Thursday, Jane's second lead role in a film and in my opinion his second best performance. I would have expected Jane to wanna regroup with his comrade from the early days, but perhaps they didn't remain friends after the film.

LEE BYUNG-HUN IS THOMAS "STORM SHADOW" ARASHIKAGE

siennamillergijoe6copykp2.jpg / siennamillergijoe4copyso9.jpg / siennamillergijoe5copycg3.jpg

So far, my favorite shots are Ray Park as Snake Eyes and Dennis Quaid as Hawk. Quaid has the perfect mug for the General, and that beret looks incredibly natural on him. Rachel is just smokin hot in that outfit and words cannot describe (really) my thoughts on Sienna's hotness. As for the body suits on the good guys...I can dig it.

-TL

From a purely aesthetic perspective, it just doesn't work for me. I mean, when he speaks will we see shiny white teeth? And since his mouth is showing, I think we can count on him being a regular chatterbox in the film. Otherwise, why do it? I doubt there will be much eating, smoking, oral sex, or whistling.

I don't know about that, Noeland, considering the need for booby armor and all, ya know.

Just sayin'

Noeland your opinion on Jane's Punisher is so typical I'm generally annoyed by having to reply to it.

"I think the movie sucked, but I loved the lead character that was on-screen 90 of the 120 minutes." NO.

That right there is an excuse to avoid taking a solid stance on a film. You either liked it (all of it) or you didn't like it. Just pick one.

Jane's not gonna get mad if you speak up, nor is Bradstreet. Hell, Street liked it. He just didn't love it. I have never heard him say "It sucked but Jane was excellent."

Statements like that are a load of shit. You don't vote for both parties. You don't cheer on both teams in a football game. Jane IS the movie and if you thought the movie was shit - well just remember Jane's face is ALL OVER that shit.

The villains were cookie-cutter, the over-all plot was boring, there wasn't ENOUGH violence and what they had was toned down, and the shirt was an unnecessary change. And I can give most injuries Frank takes over to movie and comic fantasy, but they shot him through the chest center mass at point blank range. Barring immediate and major surgery thats a kill. Period. But Jane had the look and the voice. He carried himself the right way, he delivered his lines the right way, and as far as being Frank Castle he did a damn good job. And yes, I hated the film. I like the Republican Mayor of New York, hate the Republican President. I don't care about football so when I watch the game I cheer whenever someone does something amazing no matter what team they are on. I live in a part of the world that has a middle ground and I'm guessing Noeland and a few other people do too.

I was surprised to learn that Skip Woods wrote this film. Woods wrote and directed Thursday, Jane's second lead role in a film and in my opinion his second best performance. I would have expected Jane to wanna regroup with his comrade from the early days, but perhaps they didn't remain friends after the film.

Not everyone that works together in film become friends. It's a job like any other. Actors and directors are known to both like and hate eachother on set. And if they did become friends that doesn't mean that is somehow lost just because you don't take every opportunity to work together.

As for the pics of the G.I. Joe cast. I liked the Snake Eyes costume (especially the helmet) until I realized that he's wearing a latex body suit designed to look like real skin. Why would he need that? Just put him in the full-body armor. Sans mouth definately. And I think what TB was meaning about Quaid looking stiff was that he looks like someone put him in a goofy halloween costume and told him to "look cool" for some pictures. He looks like he doesn't feel right posing for it. The rest wouldn't be too bad if they didn't look so new. So I'm hoping that for the film they age the wardrobe and get some wear and tear into them.

Orion I will say this once and once only.

When a post of mine is in part directed to a certain individual (as is The Punisher section in my last post) don't be slick enough to invite yourself to a reply.

As for your thoughts on The Punisher, I won't even warrant them with a response. "The shirt was an unnecessary change." Oh Brother. So instead I'll let Thomas Jane tell you how he felt about it...

"In today's market, if it's not a blockbuster, then it's somehow considered a failure. I just don't understand that point of view. It saddens me that if a film doesn't sell a million Happy Meals that it's considered to be a failure, and that is just incorrect. We need to change our view of that. In today's market, there's certainly a place for the blockbuster type of film, but if you can make a film for $30 million and its grossed like 50-something so far worldwide and then do a bunch more business on DVD, then that film has done its job. I like movies that don't have to cater and appeal to everybody. Those movies are great, movies that cross the board and you can take your six-year old kid and your grandma, and everybody loves it. Fantastic! And there should be more movies like that and there will be, but there should also be movies that cater to people who like to see something different. People that have a need to see something that is off-the-beaten path a little bit. That's what The Punisher is there for and that's what it's there to serve. It's for the fans and I'm very proud of it. I hope they don't ever process it down and turn it into something that it shouldn't be. I like what it did and I like the place that it ended up having. My expectations for the film were not exceeded and I wasn’t let down either. I didn’t ever think that this was going to be a blockbuster film because of the nature of the material and the brutality of it, and the conditions of what we’re living in today. If this film had come out in the ‘70s, it would be a whole nother story. But today, we’re just not as a massive culture, we’re not into that. And I knew that. And that’s why I did it. These movies, there needs to be a market and what we’re seeing in films today is the overbloatation of selling happy meals and rides and shit to ride behind a film. Which is fine and there’s a place for that and more power to them, but what’s happening is the balloon is getting so big at the top that there’s nothing in the middle. It’s either that or you’re watching internet porn. There’s very little in the middle. What’s in the middle is being neglected. The Punisher was made for a specific audience and it catered to that audience and that audience got what they paid for."

But thank you for making your final thought on the film a final thought. You hated it and I can respect that.

Now back to G.I. JOE (AGAIN)...

-TL

I mean, when he speaks will we see shiny white teeth?

Snake Eyes won't speak because he's a mute..... So in my opinion, it doesn't matter if his mouth shows or not. He has romanced Scarlett so maybe he wants to kiss the woman? Or maybe he just needs to breathe from all the ass kicking he's gonna do ;)

As for Storm Shadow, I could dig his costume if he had a mask on. Where the hell is the mask?

-Raffi

The mouth bothers me, as did the mouth on Optimus Prime in Bay's Transformers. If it's just a molded face mask, then fine...and in the right lighting will read as black anyway. If he talks, or that mouth opens I will walk out of theater.

I can see updating things costume-wise, BUT given hollywood's penchant for putting everyone in black leather I am happy to see that only the Baroness sports that type of outfit....at least they didn't go X-Men or Matrix with these. Nothing more stupid to me than Wolverine in a aesthetically pleasing costume with fucking PIPING. He looks like a dancer. Terrible. That guy should look like he simply doesn't give a rat's ass about costumes. Flannel shirt, jeans and claws. Done. MAYBE a military thing, but the guy has no use for anything but his claws...so why waste space with pouches? The rest of of them, fine I guess....but they all look like people who lost a bet, or failed to make the cut in try outs for the band Stryper.

NOW...this Duke outfit... the generic composite armor does nothing to enhance the individuality of the characters. All the Joe's had such unique costumes, so Scarlet and Duke having virtually the same outfit does nothing to create interesting palette or silhouettes for them. Duke especially should feel much more military, like Quaid's outfit. Scarlett looks okay, but the complete lack of color on her is disappointing. Best visuals for these characters IMO are from Jae Lee's Gijoe-Transformers book from Devil's Due some years back. I agree with Tim, they look like leftovers from Lost in Space, or Final Fantasy: Spirit's Within...and every cookie-cutter sci-fi video-game property out there. Covergirl has a much better outfit, even if it is tailored to grab onto her curves. How about functionality? Duke, Scarlet, and the Marlon Wayans' character all have the same outfit...they all look like they forgot to put on their pants.

To address some of the comments about Tom playing Duke, I will say this... I appreciate what Tom brings to the action genre, and Mutant Chronicles is something I cannot wait to see, but he's just too much a presence for a movie which in my opinion should BE ALL ABOUT SNAKE EYES and STORM SHADOW. Putting Tom in the role of Duke would easily make the focus turn too much to that character. Duke is a boring, generic military guy. He was always boring. I was so glad they killed his boring ass in the animated movie. Tom would make him interesting, as would several other actors of Tom's caliber, but I LOVE that they cast someone like they did. NO ONE CARES ABOUT DUKE. .... I grew up with Gi-Joe, and every kid who went outside to the park to pretend-play Gi-Joe wanted to be Snake-Eyes. Duke? No. He's not interesting. Snake-Eyes is this guy who never speaks, never shows his face....so much more interesting. BUT....even the cartoon failed to spend enough time on him. Instead they played up Duke, and Flint more. OR WORSE....Quick-Kick and Shipwreck. The All-American, blonde, red-white-and-blue hero is so 2 dimensional and white-bread by comparison to the darker, more mysterious and enigmatic Snake-Eyes. I would rather see the story focus on someone with an interesting story. I DO like the love triangle with Duke, Scarlet and Snake Eyes....and like X-Men We all hate Cyclops and want Wolvie to get Jean, because Cyclops and Duke have that same generic, conservative, far less than dangerous vibe. They are characters without depth or passion. They are not scarred by life experiences, and only serve as contrast to guys like Wolvie or Snake-Eyes.

SO...Tom, no. I think they made the right choice. They got the PERFECT Duke. Some no-name guy who looks like the stereotypical 85 I.Q. enlisted frat-boy I see drunk, fighting civilians in bars, pissing in bushes after puking on dumb slags any random night in Pacific Beach.

That harsh? Maybe. BUT...for the love of Thundara...make this movie about Snake Eyes, have some balls and drive the film on someone who never speaks. THAT would be original. Something tells me they will blow it. ALSO, I want to give Stephen Sommers SOME credit here. I LOVED The Mummy. It was the perfect comedy-action formula, and I can watch it over and over and never get tired of it. Great Score too. That does not mean I think he can do Gi-Joe justice, but I have hope.

Also....what's with the formal attire for Storm Shadow? That pic of him and The Baroness looks like their 1983 pre-Prom photo. L-A-M-E.

s'all I gots.

--JD3

The rest of of them, fine I guess....but they all look like people who lost a bet, or failed to make the cut in try outs for the band Stryper.

--JD3

Stryper? L.O.L! I'm dying, that's a perfect comparison.

Guest FADoss

INCREDIBLY WELL FUCKING PUT!!!

Though there were a few other cool GI Joes...most of them also didn't get the coverage they deserved.

Fred

The mouth bothers me, as did the mouth on Optimus Prime in Bay's Transformers. If it's just a molded face mask, then fine...and in the right lighting will read as black anyway. If he talks, or that mouth opens I will walk out of theater.

I can see updating things costume-wise, BUT given hollywood's penchant for putting everyone in black leather I am happy to see that only the Baroness sports that type of outfit....at least they didn't go X-Men or Matrix with these. Nothing more stupid to me than Wolverine in a aesthetically pleasing costume with fucking PIPING. He looks like a dancer. Terrible. That guy should look like he simply doesn't give a rat's ass about costumes. Flannel shirt, jeans and claws. Done. MAYBE a military thing, but the guy has no use for anything but his claws...so why waste space with pouches? The rest of of them, fine I guess....but they all look like people who lost a bet, or failed to make the cut in try outs for the band Stryper.

NOW...this Duke outfit... the generic composite armor does nothing to enhance the individuality of the characters. All the Joe's had such unique costumes, so Scarlet and Duke having virtually the same outfit does nothing to create interesting palette or silhouettes for them. Duke especially should feel much more military, like Quaid's outfit. Scarlett looks okay, but the complete lack of color on her is disappointing. Best visuals for these characters IMO are from Jae Lee's Gijoe-Transformers book from Devil's Due some years back. I agree with Tim, they look like leftovers from Lost in Space, or Final Fantasy: Spirit's Within...and every cookie-cutter sci-fi video-game property out there. Covergirl has a much better outfit, even if it is tailored to grab onto her curves. How about functionality? Duke, Scarlet, and the Marlon Wayans' character all have the same outfit...they all look like they forgot to put on their pants.

To address some of the comments about Tom playing Duke, I will say this... I appreciate what Tom brings to the action genre, and Mutant Chronicles is something I cannot wait to see, but he's just too much a presence for a movie which in my opinion should BE ALL ABOUT SNAKE EYES and STORM SHADOW. Putting Tom in the role of Duke would easily make the focus turn too much to that character. Duke is a boring, generic military guy. He was always boring. I was so glad they killed his boring ass in the animated movie. Tom would make him interesting, as would several other actors of Tom's caliber, but I LOVE that they cast someone like they did. NO ONE CARES ABOUT DUKE. .... I grew up with Gi-Joe, and every kid who went outside to the park to pretend-play Gi-Joe wanted to be Snake-Eyes. Duke? No. He's not interesting. Snake-Eyes is this guy who never speaks, never shows his face....so much more interesting. BUT....even the cartoon failed to spend enough time on him. Instead they played up Duke, and Flint more. OR WORSE....Quick-Kick and Shipwreck. The All-American, blonde, red-white-and-blue hero is so 2 dimensional and white-bread by comparison to the darker, more mysterious and enigmatic Snake-Eyes. I would rather see the story focus on someone with an interesting story. I DO like the love triangle with Duke, Scarlet and Snake Eyes....and like X-Men We all hate Cyclops and want Wolvie to get Jean, because Cyclops and Duke have that same generic, conservative, far less than dangerous vibe. They are characters without depth or passion. They are not scarred by life experiences, and only serve as contrast to guys like Wolvie or Snake-Eyes.

SO...Tom, no. I think they made the right choice. They got the PERFECT Duke. Some no-name guy who looks like the stereotypical 85 I.Q. enlisted frat-boy I see drunk, fighting civilians in bars, pissing in bushes after puking on dumb slags any random night in Pacific Beach.

That harsh? Maybe. BUT...for the love of Thundara...make this movie about Snake Eyes, have some balls and drive the film on someone who never speaks. THAT would be original. Something tells me they will blow it. ALSO, I want to give Stephen Sommers SOME credit here. I LOVED The Mummy. It was the perfect comedy-action formula, and I can watch it over and over and never get tired of it. Great Score too. That does not mean I think he can do Gi-Joe justice, but I have hope.

Also....what's with the formal attire for Storm Shadow? That pic of him and The Baroness looks like their 1983 pre-Prom photo. L-A-M-E.

s'all I gots.

--JD3

gi-joe-20080507004210928.jpg

breakert.jpg

dennis_quaid.jpg

heavydutysmall.jpg

full_movieimage_16823.jpg

duke_blog_exclusive.jpg

DESTRO-205_F_tn.jpg