Sign in to follow this  

The current title is now Lock-Out. For a while it was called MS One: Maximum Security.

I've been keeping an eye on this one for a while, but it seemed like it was about to be burried. The original release was set for Febuary, then dissapered. Now I see it is going to hit in April.

Luc Besson is going back to Sci-Fi, though it seems a bit more rough than The Fifth Element, but in a good way ;)

Here is an artical and trailer: http://www.joblo.com...or-movies/news/

Here is a better one:

Looking at the films they compare it too, I found it odd that the obvious did not strike them, Escape From New York, only on a space station. Even down the the name (Snow instead of Snake) it seems like a slicker version with a bit more humor. Guy Pearse is taking on the lead.

Other cast members includes Lennie James (HUNG) and Peter Stormare.

Really looking forward to this one. It looks like a lot of fun, and Guy Pearce as a badass can only be a good thing. And I'd definitely prefer this to an actual remake of Escape From New York.

Guest AdminGuyX

Wow, that dialogue is pretty terrible. But, I like it anyway.

:)

He's a loose cannon!

Of course he is.

I just got home from seeing Lock-Out, and I got to say I was a tad dissapointed. It's fun, but just average run of the mill fun. I'm not sure how much Luc Besson gets involved in these projects, but I'm guessing its in name only. That, or he's really loosing it. Guy Pearce is really the only reason to see this ( although, I always do enjoy seeing Stormare on the screen). He carries the entire film with swagger and a lot of one-liners.

The set up was basic, set-up man on a mission story, but that's the problem of the film, everything is basic and chiche'. That, and the really horrible CG during the freeway chase. The rest of the film did not look too bad, but the freeway chase was Sy Fy movies of the week bad.

All that aside, it's still a fun romp. I'm kind of torn about it because while I kind of dug it for the fun of it, I also hessitate to recomend seeing it in theaters. Deffinatly a rent flick, but if you're not a fan of the actors or mindless sci-fi action flicks, you might be a bit dissapointed.

Walking out of the theater, all I could think of was why don't Carpenter and Russel get Snake out for another go.

Hey JWeb! I saw Guy Pearce interviewed on the Tavis Smiley show and the clip of Lock-Out did evoke a slicked-up version of Escape from NY to me as well. But you're right - either you dig the cast and embrace the fun of it or just skip it - no harm, no foul. :)

I dug it. Agree that some of the ambition was limited by the budget (especially during that freeway chase) but overall it's a fun 95 minutes. It doesn't hold a candle to Besson's own future set Fifth Element or even Stallone-Snipes' underrated gem Demolition Man but it's not supposed to. Guy Pearce is very much in John McClane-Snake Plisken mode and has some funny one liners throughout. I'd recommend it for a matinee at the theater.

JWeb's review nailed it. We had some time to murder in Orlando before our flight took off and we checked this out. It was perfect for killing the time BUT it did leave me really wanting more.

No where near the depth (not sure that's the word) of Escape from NY or even the Fifth Element. It seemed like they had this cool idea and a few cool scenes and then....wound up on the set shooting and made up the rest as they went along. Not bad but it had a flat tire somewhere. It became pretty predictable pretty damn quick. Pierce is great though I'm not sure I'd want to see him in a role like this again. I did think it was Marky mark up there a few times.

LOCKOUT review:

In the early ‘90s, Luc Besson wrote and directed two of the best action movies of the last 25 years, LA FEMME NIKITA and LEON THE PROFESSIONAL. Since then he has directed a handful of movies, some really good, some okay, and has written and produced tons of action movies. But why are most of them so mediocre? There have been a few gems, DISTRICT B13 and TAKEN come to mind, but most of them are weak. How could they come from the same man who made NIKITA and LEON?

LOCKOUT is relatively entertaining, but very forgettable. Comparing it to ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK is rather insulting to John Carpenter and his classic film. People are still talking about it and watching it 30 years later. People won’t be talking about LOCKOUT next year.

The screenplay is very by the numbers and the dialogue often tries way too hard. Guy Pearce is good here, but with a stronger screenplay, he could have been great. Lennie James is good as always and the rest of the cast is okay.

The opening interrogation scene is probably the only thing that I really liked in this movie. And I was able to watch most of that for free online a week or so before the movie came out.

Early on, there is a motorcycle chase that has to be seen to be believed because suddenly the movie shifts to subpar video game graphics featuring Guy Pearce. It looks awful. Clearly this movie had a decent budget because the space prison looks great. So why even include such a terrible looking sequence like this? Was this a practical joke?

There are two key moments in this movie where there is a reveal of someone off screen, yet within a foot of the characters on screen. It was shocking that the scenes were played as though the characters couldn’t see these people who were a foot away, simply because they were not on camera! That’s horrible directing.

I’m glad I saw this for free, and while it was relatively entertaining, I really can’t recommend it.

Oops! I never intended to imply comparison of this film to Escape from New York -

The clip I saw just reminded me of it in a minimal tiny plot point of it being the President's daughter that needed rescuing from a penitentiary - a little twist on the President needing to be recovered in the first. And a slicked-up "wanna-be" version, if you will.

I love Escape from New York and hold John Carpenter in the highest regard, always!

Oops! I never intended to imply comparison of this film to Escape from New York -

The clip I saw just reminded me of it in a minimal tiny plot point of it being the President's daughter that needed rescuing from a penitentiary - a little twist on the President needing to be recovered in the first. And a slicked-up "wanna-be" version, if you will.

I love Escape from New York and hold John Carpenter in the highest regard, always!

I definitely wasn't referring to you with regard to ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK and John Carpenter. I wrote that review a while back and posted it on my Facebook page. Then decided to post it here. Sorry if you thought I was! I had heard that a lot leading up to the film's release.

Guest AdminGuyX

I think Jweb is being way too kind. I thought it was complete shit. I hated it. I had no fun. I was embarrassed for Guy Pierce. He's so much better than this. It was like they wrote it for Jason Statham and when they hired Guy Pierce they just didnt have time to give the character a soul. I thought the dialogue was bad all the way through (with the exception of the opening interrogation scene). The editing was almost blunt force trauma. It hurt my head. And the performances were just terrible. I was positive at some point it would be revealed that the escape was planned and that the inmates were working for someone off the prison, because they seemed to know exactly what they were doing from minute one. They just behaved immediately like there was a big plan. But . . . nope. No plan.