Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

P R O M E T H E U S - ALIEN prequel from Ridley

I guess I didn't find it empty. I thought it had a lot to offer in terms of conversation creating. I will agree that a lot of the supporting cast was just there for getting slaughtered. This really should have been a 3 hour film to truly flesh it out, but I thought Ridley did an amazing job with everything else.

The proto-alien could have been a bit better. I've seen some of the concept art, and it looks a lot cooler on paper. As for the xenomorphs being an accident, I don't think that really matters much. Most of our inventions/creations have been created on accident while trying to find something else.

Everything about the movies is really good, except for where it really matters, the script. It's half-baked and has stupid people doing stupid things, which I find kinda funny after The Cabin in the Woods.

If this is any indication, then I am pretty much dreading the Blade Runner sequel.

Guest AdminGuyX

The creature at the end was not a proto anything guys. He's not the first xenomorph. It's a different creature altogether that has no direct lineage to Alien. It's a suggestion, a nod, that the engineers make certain kinds of weapons. Parasite/Host based weapons.

The ship on LV-426 is already crashed there while we're watching the events in Prometheus. The idea is that the xeno we've come to know and love was indeed created by the big guy in the big chair (the engineers), and it got out and turned on him.

Call them mental gymnastics if you want, but I walked out of Prometheus fully aware that this film does not tie directly into Alien. I enjoyed the film a great deal. The flaws didn't bother me in the least. I know what they are, but I love the film despite them.

The first time I saw the film, it was very bright 3D on a new digital screen and the 3D was incredible. Just immersive beyond anything I've seen before in a theater. Nearly every shot in the film had some sort of dynamic element that looked quite amazing on that screen. The second time was not as great. Really dim screen that more or less negated the 3D. But I still loved the film.

Now, I'm a Ridley Scott fanatic. I even like Robin Hood (which took a few viewings, but once I understood it was really a film about the Prince John legend, and not the Robin Hood legend, I liked it a lot more) but Blade Runner is my obvious favorite from him, with Alien a close second.

So, the notion of seeing a 75 year old Scott return to science fiction was a cheap thrill for me. Honestly, he could have filmed Fassbender on the ship alone for 2 hours and I'd of loved it. I watched all the viral stuff, and did not shy away from spoilers previous to seeing the film (including knowing the ending) and what I was most looking forward to in the film was the visuals, and the production design. I knew I would love David 8 in the film, knew I'd like the creatures (and knew we would not see any xeno's) but the first viewing was mostly spent with a dumb grin taking in a Ridley Scott science fiction film. But by the end I had a notion that Scott was telling this story from the Android's point of view.

The second viewing I walked in thinking "David is the lead character here, and I want to watch the film with that idea in my head." and with that in my head, thinking about the film entirely from David's point of view, man, does the plot ever click along nicely.

Sacrifice is the true theme of the film though. Characters sacrifice themselves for others over and over again in the film and what brings those characters to that decision is the story being told.

I didn't get the sacrifice thing at alll. To me it was really just dumb people doing dumb things, and dieing. There was some half-assed attempt at subtext with the faith stuff, but it was again, half-assed.

My son went and saw it and he said it was totally excellent. I want to see it but I have to find someone to go with me cuz none of my friends want to see it.

Guest AdminGuyX

I didn't get the sacrifice thing at alll. To me it was really just dumb people doing dumb things, and dieing. There was some half-assed attempt at subtext with the faith stuff, but it was again, half-assed.

Yeah, that's certainly the major point of contention for many a film goes. Stupid people doing stupid things. They hate the creature design. Hate the lack of gore and violence. Hate the film for not being as dark as Alien. They don't understand the end. They hate the writing. They think Damon Lindelof is the devil and Ridley Scott is a senile old man who can't direct his way out of an old folks home. Lots of fans are disappointed in the film. No question about it.

I'm not among them though. :) I think it's a damn fine piece of old school science fiction story telling. I think it has a lot going for it despite the problems.

My only issues are pretty much with the script, plot holes and dumb characters. Really the only decent charaters in the movie were David, Stringer Bell, and Theron. Even though Theron was supposed to be the cold evil corporate bitch, she was basically the only smart person on a ship filled with scientists.

I wholly disagree on any critisim of the direction, because it is a great looking film. The script really does suck though.

Guest AdminGuyX

I would have enjoyed Vickers having more screen time. And maybe in the extended cut she will. I have heard that the extended cut, like the longer cut of Kingdom of Heaven, is much different and fleshes out the story a lot more.

The Captain was probably my favorite character in the film though, besides David.

I don't see an extended cut doing much for the film. This sin't going to be another Kingdom of Heaven.

Noeland, I guess I can forgive you for not liking Drive ;)

The photo above is taken from a scene I really wish they would have left in. I'll be looking forward to seeing it when the Blu-Ray comes out. Prometheus was always meant to be a two-part film, and I'm glad the first one did as well as it did so we can see what happens next. It was smart doing the first one how they did. If it had bombed, you still have this great, thought provoking film that stands on it's own, but since it did well enough to give us a sequel, we get to see what Shaw and David do next.

Still waiting for my Prometheus: Art of the Film to show up. I hear there is a lot of neat things in that too.

Noeland, I guess I can forgive you for not liking Drive ;)

The photo above is taken from a scene I really wish they would have left in. I'll be looking forward to seeing it when the Blu-Ray comes out. Prometheus was always meant to be a two-part film, and I'm glad the first one did as well as it did so we can see what happens next. It was smart doing the first one how they did. If it had bombed, you still have this great, thought provoking film that stands on it's own, but since it did well enough to give us a sequel, we get to see what Shaw and David do next.

Still waiting for my Prometheus: Art of the Film to show up. I hear there is a lot of neat things in that too.

I don't know about another one, it hasn't really made enough to be condisered successful, and it's doubtful it will.

I guess I'll never get how filling a film with plot holes and dumb characters equals smart filmmaking.

Worldwide, it's made $218 million. In the US alone, in two weeks it's made just shy of $90 million, and it's budgeted at $130 million. Plus, it's R rated, and stuidos see that as a major hinderance. I'd say it is a sucess.

Whether or not you liked the film, you've got to admit Prometheus is not a bad thing. Even if you hated it, the bottom line is it's going to help other R-rated Sci-Fi get made. I don't think we are going to see a flood of them, but it is going to help. And the fact that it was an idea that involved little action and explosions, not giant robots is all the better.

After the opening weekend, I remember hearing the producers gave Ridley the go ahead. I believe it had the 12th highest opening weekend for an R rated film. Though it lost the weekend to Madagascar 3, I did take it out Friday night, and it had 1000 less screens.

Worldwide, it's made $218 million. In the US alone, in two weeks it's made just shy of $90 million, and it's budgeted at $130 million. Plus, it's R rated, and stuidos see that as a major hinderance. I'd say it is a sucess.

Whether or not you liked the film, you've got to admit Prometheus is not a bad thing. Even if you hated it, the bottom line is it's going to help other R-rated Sci-Fi get made. I don't think we are going to see a flood of them, but it is going to help. And the fact that it was an idea that involved little action and explosions, not giant robots is all the better.

Released budgets are not really accurate, I think Soderburgh said to basically add at least an extra $50,000 to budgets for big films. So the movie basically broke even, but if that's enough to get it a sequel from Fox, more power to them. I'll still take smart low-budget sci-fi over Prometheus. Hell, I'll even take something that isn't that smart, but just fun over Prometheus.

Guest AdminGuyX

Whatever the case is with release budgets, and Prometheus' profit margin, they are moving forward with another one Mike. I think there is plenty of room for all kinds of sci-fi, even films that offer a little B-movie with their high minded ideas, which is what Prometheus is at it's heart. It's a drive in B monster movie. If you go back to films like Planet of The Vampires, and World Without End, IMHO, that's what Ridley Scott was making. But I love old science fiction films from the 40's and 50's. Twilight zone, etc.

I wouldn't put it past Fox to try and continue the Alien franchise in a more direct fashion with action oriented stories that feature the xeno as just more cannon fodder. My understanding is that Sphaits first pass at the script had a squad of corporate soldiers hidden on the then named "Magellan" and there was a big action ending to the film with pulse rifles and explosions.

You never know, Fox may return to an idea like that just to boost ticket sales for the franchise. I'd watch it.

I like something pulpy or schlocky as much as the next guy, so that has nothing to do with my dislike of the film. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but it was a shitty script that was lazy and filled with dumb characters and plot holes. It was really no better than any of the subsequent Alien sequels, and that includes both AVP movies.

Also, if this was a big action spectacle, I probably would have still not liked it.

I figured that much, but there are others I thought might want to know.

I recived my copy of Prometheus: Art of the Film today. It's an amazing book. Even folks who didn't care for the film might find it interesting. My copy of Giger's Alien is pretty well worn, so now I have this to thumb through.

I was disappoimted in this film, but I don't hate it. It seems to be another case of Lindelof thinking he's some kind of superior genius, so he can say things like "People just didn't get it!". Like he said about Lost. We got it Damon, we just didn't like it.

Anyway, I love the look of the film, and how it strived to be different then the others, but I thought it was a little too different. There was little action, and what was there wasn't very good. There was nothing at all scary about it. I thought the cgi was pretty lame in a few cases, like the old man make up could have been better. The engineers seemed kind of off. I liked the direction they went with them, but I didn't like their final look. They looked way too clean and rubbery.

I would have liked this better if we KNEW the next part was coming out next year. Right now, the sequel will probably come out in 2015 at the earliest, and I won't care as much then, but I'll still check it out. Overall, I'd give it a 6/10. It wasn't terrible, just disappointing.

Well, Scott got lucky on ALIEN, primarily because Dan O'Bannon brought in his friend Ron Cobb, as well as his conceptual team from Alejandro Jodorowsky's ultimately doomed film adaptation of D U N E, which consisted of Moebius (Jean Giraud), Chris Foss, and H.R. Giger. What a team! Those guys had worked together for 6 months in Paris on Dune, and when that fell through, they landed in Ridley's lap thanks to O'Bannon ;)

- TB

I was fortunate to meet both Dan O'Bannon and Ron Cobb!!! The former talked about writing horror films and I couldn't get over his voice, because I remember him in "Dark Star" and I just get this picture of him stuck in the elevator! I have a friend who is friends with Ron and he introduced me to him once, but he lives in Sydney now, so perhaps one day when I get back over there...