Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

P R O M E T H E U S - ALIEN prequel from Ridley

That's right folks, many of you already know about this, the official teaser trailer went online December 22nd -

For those that have not caught it yet, you can check it out here -> http://trailers.appl...fox/prometheus/

Logline: A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe.

There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

Script by Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof

Directed by Ridley Scott

Film is set to open June 8th, 2012

Prometheus stars Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Charlize Theron, Patrick Wilson, Idris Elba, Logan Marshall-Green, Sean Harris, and Rafe Spall (son of actor Timothy Spall).

The film's composer is Marc Streitenfeld, who scored Ridley's Robin Hood, and the forthcoming Liam Neeson thriller, The Grey

More info here on the official Prometheus website

promethesus_teaser_poster_high_res_1.jpg

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I've watched the trailer about 20 times a day since it's hit the web. I will only be more excited when Ridley starts working on the new Blade Runner film.

I'm very excited for my good friend, Thomas Champon, who let me know earlier today that he's been signed on to Prometheus.

Thomas is a guy I spent a lot of time hanging out with in Italy when we worked together on the animated Anne Frank biopic.

He's a Mo-Cap whiz and is heading up a team working on some of the Special FX sequences.

Prometheus could not be in better hands with Thomas and his experienced, hand-picked team.

He works out of Paris, so I'm guessing a lot of the FX work is being done in Europe.

If I get any interesting tidbits from Thomas I'll share it here ;)

- TB

I was talking to someone at work about this over Christmas, and I made the comment this is the most anticipated film for me, ever. They asked how long I've been waiting and I answered "21 years"

After seeing Alien for the first time, I've been facinated with the "other aliens" in this universe. Giger's designs are pitch perfect, and I have yet to see a film rival the amount of detail put into this film (okay, Noeland, I'll give you Blade Runner, you don't even have to twist my arm there ;) ) Prometheus looke like it's following in the same steps. I was glad to here Scott was back on board, and I can't wait to see the new work Giger has put into this. It's nice seeing part of his work on the one-sheet.

The art of film has come a LOOOOOOONG way in the 33 years since Alien first burst forth upon audiences in 1979.

I really can't wait to see what Ridley has in store now that he's back working in the Sci-Fi genre. He's been away far too long.

Leading edge movie tech in the hands of someone who knows just how to use it. That gets me where I live.

Looking at some of those shots flying by in the trailer sends those creative shivers rippling up my spine.

The master has returned.

This is gonna be fun.

- tb

Yup, looking forward to this. Though with a bit of trepidation, Alien is arguably his best movie, his films since have been okay to good, so it'll be interesting to see if he can bring that same energy that he had when he made Alien to this one.

Also, didn't know Idris Elba was in this, that's pretty awesome. In my list of new Frank Castle's he's my current favorite fan cast to get the role.

Here's a little blast from the past -

A couple Mobius concept drawings of the space suits from A L I E N.

mobieus_alien1.png

alienmobiusspacesuitfindl4.jpg

And one of Ron Cobb's concept illustrations of the Nostromo interior -

alien1.jpg

Fun stuff!

- tB

I always forget that Cobb did work on this film. He did some amazing work. That is part of the genius of Scott. He put together a great art team to realize this film, and it shows.

Well, Scott got lucky on ALIEN, primarily because Dan O'Bannon brought in his friend Ron Cobb, as well as his conceptual team from Alejandro Jodorowsky's ultimately doomed film adaptation of D U N E, which consisted of Moebius (Jean Giraud), Chris Foss, and H.R. Giger. What a team! Those guys had worked together for 6 months in Paris on Dune, and when that fell through, they landed in Ridley's lap thanks to O'Bannon ;)

Here's a cool tidbit -

O'Bannon introduced Scott to the artwork of H. R. Giger; both of them felt that his painting Necronom IV was the type of representation they wanted for the film's antagonist and began asking the studio to hire him as a designer. 20th Century Fox initially believed Giger's work was too ghastly for audiences, but the Brandywine team were persistent and eventually won out. According to Gordon Carroll: "The first second that Ridley saw Giger's work, he knew that the biggest single design problem, maybe the biggest problem in the film, had been solved. Scott flew to Zürich to meet Giger and recruited him to work on all aspects of the Alien and its environment including the surface of the planetoid, the derelict spacecraft, and all four forms of the Alien from the egg to the adult.

Another interesting bit from Ron Cobb (on his designs for Alien)

I resent films that are so shallow they rely entirely on their visual effects, and of course science fiction films are notorious for this. I've always felt that there's another way to do it: a lot of effort should be expended toward rendering the environment of the spaceship, or space travel, whatever the fantastic setting of your story should be–as convincingly as possible, but always in the background. That way the story and the characters emerge and they become more real.

Basically, O'Bannon deserves due praise for the success of the film, visually. Ridley utilized them like a master, but the film would have been VERY different without O'Bannon's band of merry men ;)

- TB

Don't think any of the old crew of artists is working on Prometheus, perhaps Giger, though it's uncredited for the time being . . .

One guy that IS working on Prometheus is a cat named Julian Caldow. He's a digital guy who's worked on a long list of great, visual features.

He's one of the main concept guys on Game Of Thrones . . . Check out his work here - > http://www.krop.com/juliancaldow/

Very impressive.

- TB

Dan was an amazing character. He worked on a lot of cool films. After he passed, his wife set up a site for him and his works. Sadly, after the inital posting, there has been no updates.

Jodorowsky's DUNE is another project I would have loved to have seen. There is a lot of cool artwork floating around on the web from this project. I have a soft spot for Lynch's DUNE, but this would have been a whole other animal altogether.

One of the other elements that really worked in ALIEN was Ash. You never really suspect he's a bad guy until things unravel, and then the reveal that he's not even human, perfect. I was a bit disheartened that Theron mentioned in an interview

that she's not exactly "good" in the film, stating that you find out she works

for the company.

As for Giger, I saw this about a month back: http://www.comicbook...r/news/?a=41472

It could be bogus, but I hope not. Some of the images from the film look a lot like his work.

Doesn't sound bogus but you never know!

I'm inclined to give that story the benefit of the doubt since IMDB can be tragically slow with updating.

My thinking is this - If Ridley is back doing a new Alien film, it makes total sense that he'd recruit Giger back into the fold.

What Giger brought to Alien is IMMEASURABLE, and he has the Academy Award to prove it ;)

- tb

PS - I'm not sure I wanted to read that bit of a spoiler above. Now you must die!

Wonder who will get to do the score for this? There are a few good choices out there, but I'd like to see Elliot Goldenthal have a go at it. Say what you will about Alien 3, the score was amazing. Not as atmospheric as Jerry Goldsmith's score for Alien, but still damn good.

Wonder who will get to do the score for this? There are a few good choices out there, but I'd like to see Elliot Goldenthal have a go at it. Say what you will about Alien 3, the score was amazing. Not as atmospheric as Jerry Goldsmith's score for Alien, but still damn good.

JWeb - See first Entry in the thread - composer is Marc Streitenfeld.

He's real good ;)

- TB

Now that I've seen the trailer I'm going to do a total media blackout on this. I want to walk into it as fresh as possible.

Very excited about this!

By the way, Scott mentioned that Giger is doing a bit of work on it:

Will you be using any of Giger’s original design for this film?

RS: We’ve had a pretty good relationship with Giger for many years. I was the first one to go see him in Switzerland, and persuade him to get on a plane. He wouldn’t get on a plane, because he was afraid of flying. And he finally came to Shepperton. He was with me for eleven months. Never went into town, stayed over a pub in Shepperton. Very non-Giger, not exotic. You’d think he’d be in a suite in a hotel. He’s in a pub. He was in a room over a pub, and he was very happy there. And yeah, I brought him in, I showed him what we were doing, showed him the story and he liked it a lot. So he’s doing a little bit of work for me. He’s been doing some murals, big murals, which we’ll see in almost one of the first chambers we encounter when we land where we’re gonna go.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2011/12/17/ridley-scott-talks-prometheus-giger-xenomorphs/

The fact that Ridley wants to make a sequel to Prometheus already is a very good sign in my opinion. All of a sudden he's full of piss and vinegar again. Between a new Blade Runner trilogy and a possible Prometheus trilogy the man can do no wrong.

Jim

The last few movies he's made were pretty much on the more mediocre side in my opinion, so I do hope he's lit a fire under his ass with this one.

Christ I can't wait to see this.