Sign in to follow this  
origin1950

MAX PAYNE

The movie looks pretty siick. But I had a question about the trailer, whats up with the crazy ass supernatural shit? Ive only played the very first game and that was a long time ago, so I dont know whats up with that.

Its all in his head.

He has supernatural visions during several parts of the game.

Specifically when they drug him and he has to follow a trail of blood to his dead child.

I met Wahlberg right before he started shooting the movie and he told me the script was "Fuckin crazy."

The guy's a bad motherfucker in person, so my confidence in his action movies is highly elevated.

-TL

Wahlberg is a damn good choice...not only does he look the part...but he's certainly got some acting chops...and dont even get me started on his ability as an action star.

The guy's tough as nails.

Nice guy, but not somebody you can disrespect without getting a quick "Fuck you say?"

I'm really glad he got MAX PAYNE.

He's too dark for MARVEL and DC.

-TL

ever noticed that the rogue cop thing seems to appeal to alot of people.....i mean i admit i get a kick out of it, but the real ones that i feel stand out are the normal joes that lose it.....Tommy lee jones in "the park is mine"....even Marv in "sin city" if you can call Marv normal. Robert DeNiro in "Taxi driver"......i mean i know cops are normal people too, but for some reason you still expect some kind of justice good bad mortality to be in them somewhere....where as a normal man, you've got no idea where they are going....

ever noticed that the rogue cop thing seems to appeal to alot of people.....i mean i admit i get a kick out of it, but the real ones that i feel stand out are the normal joes that lose it.....Tommy lee jones in "the park is mine"....even Marv in "sin city" if you can call Marv normal. Robert DeNiro in "Taxi driver"......i mean i know cops are normal people too, but for some reason you still expect some kind of justice good bad mortality to be in them somewhere....where as a normal man, you've got no idea where they are going....

Yea I agree with that, its a lot more interesting when just your average joes go nuts and dole out justice the way those guys did. It kind of hits closer to home in that sense because when you think about it anyone you encounter on the street could be that madman that goes off one day. When Taxi Driver came out they had a tagline for it that said "On every street there's a nobody who wants to be somebody."

Found this on the GPA boards:

John Moore, director of the Max Payne movie adaptation, is pissed. Moore has a bone to pick with the Motion Picture Association of America for slapping his movie with an R-rating, something he tells Das Gamer he didn't seek out; Payne was supposed to be PG-13.

Moore says that the MPAA hobbled his movie, financially, with an R because it's dark and "feels R," theorizing that the ratings body "gave The Dark Knight a PG-13 rating and basically sucked Warner Bros. cock."

The Dark Knight, Moore thinks, was "pretty gnarly for PG-13" and that his own film was going to get the same treatment. Not so, despite the film being "not yet rated" officially.

The Max Payne director says that Wahlberg intentionally avoided some salty language and that Moore "didn’t go cutting people’s heads off and ripping their eyeballs out just for the fun of it" to help nab the PG-13, something he's still lobbying for. Perhaps a reversal of MPAA and film studio roles could help, John? MPAA volunteers need blowjobs too.

Moore pissed about R-rating.

niice...thanks for posting that...this movie is looking better and better...Still dont know what to make of those "valkyries", a lot of people think theyre real and this is gonna be Constantine 2. I hope not.

Rated PG-13 officially...its cool though this movie still looks dark as hell and Im going nuts waiting for it.

sorry to triple post but you guys need to see this! (warning, these are a lot of clips...I hope theyre not going all incredible hulk with this movie...All i did was watch the first three and they were badass!)

Visit My Website

The more I see of this film, the more I like. Never did get around to playing this game so I don't know if it looks like the source material, but it looks good.

From what people have been telling me that have played the games...its looking extremely faithful to the games...especially the graphic novel style trailer that they did...it has some of the dialogue from the games and then it also shows what's basically a scene by scene translation of the beginning of the first Max Payne game (which I did play) where Max finds his wife dead in the bedroom.

Rated PG-13.... yeah... that's a good thing...

The one thing I hated about the game was the character Mona Sax. Her first scene with Max in game was dumb, stupid and it didn't make any sense. Max kills a bunch of bad guys, she shows up, they point there guns at each other... he has no idea who she really is and they for some stupid reason have a drink......... I hate revenge characters who fall for someone in a matter seconds or minutes... that's why I hated the her even more in the second game... she became a James Bond girl rip-off.

From FilmSchoolRejects.com:

Posted by Neil Miller:

Why is no one worried about the quality of Max Payne, the latest in a long line of video game adaptations? Because it looks badass, that’s why. It was also directed by John Moore, the same guy who brought us Behind Enemy Lines — the guy is no Spielberg, we know, but he certainly isn’t Uwe Boll either. Add that to a decent cast, one that includes Mark Wahlberg returning to the action genre after his little vacation to nowhere, also known as The Happening, and we’ve got a movie worth getting excited about. And in order to keep that excitement train rolling, we’ve got a full gallery of images from the film, which hits theaters on October 17th. Have a look for yourself, and don’t forget to say hello to your mother on behalf of Mark Wahlberg.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/thes...ur-teeth-in.php

I just sat through this movie, the 10:40 am showing at my local cinema...no spoilers here...just a comment...

I'd rather sit through a 48 hour non-stop GHOSTRIDER marathon than see Max Payne ever again....

Ok, so here's what I have to say about MAX PAYNE: It sucked.

I am particularly aggravated with this film because the Trailers were VERY promising and I've made my admiration for Mark Wahlberg on this Board very clear.

So let me tell you about the problems with this movie.

First of all it has NOTHING to do with the game.

Ok, maybe a few things - but barely anything at all.

And as many of you already know, I ENCOURAGE change.

This was simply aweful.

Max's introduction is completely one dimensional, we truly have no reason to give a shit about him.

In the game, the intro is incidental and it builds a conflict that follows Max which we now WANT to follow.

The supporting cast has only one person worth talking about and its Mila Kunis.

Her performance is right on cue, but unfortunately she doesn't have much to do in the film.

*Her best scene involves beating up a cop.

The origin story is altered in a miniscule way - but the alteration itself is POINTLESS.

Almost everything is pointless.

At times I had to ask myself WHY I was watching this.

The plot's only interesting area recides in Max's commitment to find the men who killed his family.

What ruins that (because yes, everything is ruined) is the way that culminates in the film's climax.

Mark does a GREAT job in a simply TERRIBLE movie.

He's dry and mad, but because the story is so meaningless, we have no real reason to like him.

The best scene in the film was completely blown on the Trailer (like everything else), and it involves Max nearly freezing to death in a river of bodies.

I felt a sudden rush of excitement during those 5 minutes and to my dissapointment I never felt it again.

The shootouts are too LIMITED.

The one thing I thought would work regardless of the crappy story was the big John Woo shootouts.

BUT NO.

Not even that.

The look of the film was perfect, but for what?

I give this film SUCH a thumbs down, and that bothers me HEAVILY because the game is so GOD DAMN GOOD.

*There's a scene after the credits that woulda been great if I gave a shit about all the scenes before it.

Hopefully Aronofsky's The Fighter will redeem Mark Wahlberg.

-TL

you did better than me...i didn't make it to the credits.

Oh the Payne.

I'm not suggesting anything other than a passing resemblance but I thought this bore a side by side.

payne.jpg

Everyone knows I'm not the biggest Wahlberg supporter.

But I honestly did hope that this movie would be good. I don't hate the guy by any stretch. Just not a fan of the breadth of his acting career.

I bet Mark's a great guy and I sincerely do wish him good with all that he does. I'm a fan of Mark the man.

I was kind of hoping the reviews here would get me out of the house to see this movie.

Don't think that will happen now but am still in a slight holding pattern until a few more people chime in.

Doesn't look good though, especially when TL comes back growling.

Happily I'll wait for Aronofsky's film. Mark has proven that when he has an able director behind him he can be very effective.

I have a good feeling about the next one.

- TB

Oh the Payne.

I'm not suggesting anything other than a passing resemblance but I thought this bore a side by side.

payne.jpg

Everyone knows I'm not the biggest Wahlberg supporter.

But I honestly did hope that this movie would be good. I don't hate the guy by any stretch. Just not a fan of the breadth of his acting career.

I bet Mark's a great guy and I sincerely do wish him good with all that he does. I'm a fan of Mark the man.

I was kind of hoping the reviews here would get me out of the house to see this movie.

Don't think that will happen now but am still in a slight holding pattern until a few more people chime in.

Doesn't look good though, especially when TL comes back growling.

Happily I'll wait for Aronofsky's film. Mark has proven that when he has an able director behind him he can be very effective.

I have a good feeling about the next one.

- TB

When I first saw that poster I thought to myself..."damn this looks familiar"...Now I know what I was thinking about...As for the movie, I still might see it just because I tend to enjoy movies other people hate, but I'm extremely cautious right now...

But 'The Fighter' sounds kool...I became a fan of Mikki Ward after his three wars with Arturo Gatti...A movie about that guy should be good...Matter of fact I know about a lot of Professional fighters who's careers would be interesting to see on the big screen..