Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Apologies for being away

Thanks once again to all of you good folks who help our forum GO every day, every week, every month, etc . . .

Tom has always been a lurker and infrequent contributor but over the past 6 months I've fallen into that category myself!

For shame!

Thankfully, you guys keep the ball rolling and we do heartily appreciate that.

I'm sure it's a lot more lively when the hosts of this here shindig are more present.

That is something we hope to rectify now that a big portion of beastly schedules are behind.

What exactly have I been doing?

If you truly give a shit, read on ;)

Well, I've been trying to spend more time with my family first of all. It's no fun to live with someone who is also married to their work, and I'm not just married, there is no possibility of divorce!

I live my job. That's tough for folks around me who depend on me. So I've been giving a bit more there.

On a professional front it's just been one thing after the other with no rest in-between. Even jobs stacked on top of each other.

That kind of busy can take the fun out of work, that's for sure.

Let's see, I've been doing Clive Barker's Hellraiser covers for 8 months now. Jennifer Blood covers for the past 9 months. I also have a bi-monthly series of novel covers I do for a swell book called Rogue Angel.

3 months ago I took on Star Trek for IDW, a Walking Dead poster for AMC, a series of ads blending illustration and graphic design for an outfit called Iron Star, featuring MMA fighters . . .

I took a break to illustrate Lance Henriksen for his new, ultra-cool autobiography, Not Bad for a Human|The Life and Films of Lance Henriksen . . . and for the past 2.5 months I've been working on a huge job for White Wolf/CCP, photographing and illustrating 13 Vampire clans for the all-new Vampire: The Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition. Also a poster for V20 marketing. Basically what amounted to fitting in an extra 13 cover illustrations into a 2 month period WHILE handling all my other deadline commitments. In addition, I've developed a relationship with Scholastic Inc, doing covers for a Vietnam Era book series (there are 4 books).

And even took a stab at illustrating a cover for their new big release for 2012 - The False Prince -

Unfortunately I was the second person that made the attempt, and I failed too ;(

It'd be fairly EASY to make a GREAT cover for False Prince but they have their sights set on imagery that likens unto Game Of Thrones.

Great show, big fan, but they need their own identity. They seem so focused on this same idea that now 2 people have tried it and it seems no one can make them happy.

I wish them the best of luck. I have a concept that is SWEET. But I am not the art director. In this capacity mine is simply to do what is asked.

There have been other small jobs, other projects as well, namely The Devil's Commandos. Todd is right now writing a polish from notes Tom gave and it's just a long process.

Then we also have Tom's baby, A Magnificent Death From A Shattered Hand in the works for him to star in and direct.

We've been doing a lot of work on that recently and it's currently in the process of being financed by a producer we really like. Can't say more than that.

Just that if we're able to do what we set out to do with Shattered Hand, it is gonna SMOKE.

In between all that there have been conventions and travel. Dallas Comicon happened just when I was at a crescendo of deadlines. Oh, the timing!

Then Atlanta for photoshoots, and lemme tell ya, trying to hit deadlines in the midst of travel is like trying to pick up a bubbly hot marshmallow with a toothpick.

Thankfully I have opposable thumbs ;)

I keep good attention to Facebook but I even abandoned looking at that for nearly a month while working my way out of the evil forest of deadlines.

Hell, I haven't even updated my website since April 2nd!

Then . . . Comicon loomed . . . I was two weeks out with 13 figures to illustrate, and a Star Trek cover to do.

Pretty much worked from the time I'd get up until the time my head hit the pillow.

Still, I was forced to miss the first day of the show, Preview Night. Finally finished that trek cover at around 3AM Thursday morning.

Got my shit together Thursday morning and headed out to the show where thankfully, Mike Hess and Chris Frobose had our booth set up and looking sweet as pie.

Burned the candle 24/7 for 4 more days and then faced the annual Dead Dog party Sunday night. Got home around 3AM.

But of course, it's not Comicon without stragglers. I had house guests for the next 4 days.

I began this calendar year by being pretty damn ill for the first two months. It's been a bitch.

Nothing serious, just colds that wouldn't go away, strep throat, sore knees (football was fun, but . . . )

Then in June I had some MRI's done on the knees and learned I had tears in the medial meniscus on one and medial collateral on the other.

Arthroscopic surgery in is my future.

Been a bastard of a year so far but it's been as good as it's been bad.

That's life eh?

Hope you are all sticking around and checking out all the cool shit we have in store.

Great stuff to come . . . AND, we may have solved our Bad Planet problem and found our new artist!! Woooo!

Not sure if you all know about it but we lost Greg Staples to higher paying work. We were paying a fairly fat rate but the dollar doesn't stretch as far for the UK guys.

We understood his reasons but obviously he left us in the lurch. Even more painful because of how fucking great the work was that he was doing.

A tough act to follow but you know we don't settle for a weak solution.

More on that soon.

Vivat!

- TB

PS - I leave you with a little something I put together for pre-viz for Shattered Hand - Enjoy -

aMDfaSHtitlecardF1.jpg

Guest AdminGuyX

That's some exciting shit! I'm glad we'll be getting such a flood of work from you.

Sorry about the knees though. That sucks on ice.

Sounds very promising and exciting Timmy! We missed you sweetums

No worries, Tim! It feels so great to have you back. I always know when you're not on here that you're busy w/ family & work. One should never have to apologize for living life. ;)

Sorry about your knees. :( With all your other stuff, there just has to be one more thing to deal with, right? Try to find some time to take it easy & rest.

We mostly pass the time on here talking about other movies, so it's always nice to hear some updates on RAW projects every now & then. I understand that you can't disclose all the details, but I appreciate your sharing whatever you can. :)

Your image for A Magnificent Death From A Shattered Hand -- Completely enjoyed. Thanks!

Bless you, R -

You know how it is.

Just hate to have you all holding the fort for such a long stretch.

Sometimes it is rather impossible to do everything you'd like to do.

I have people that are genuinely pissy with me when I don't respond to email.

Hell, I go 2-3 months without even talking to my own parents!

It's nice when folks understand.

You can just never take a loss of communication personally.

So MANY things to take into account. For folks to get angry when I'm sure they have similar situations occur in their own lives . . . Well, it just seems a tad narcissistic to take on that attitude.

Now I gotta call my folks ;)

- TB

PS - And so glad you enjoyed the little pre-viz sneak peek at a title card treatment for Shattered ;)

I knew it! I knew he would pull the family card! Whatever!

LOL! I'm just kidding!

Dude I hear you. I work at a shit job all day, come home and teach 2-3 1/2 hrs, catch up with my wife and kids over dinner then I write until my eyelids fail me.

My wife has complained for years. This year we finally went away for the first time BY OURSELVES. It was weird at first but it went great. We had to get to know each other again and luckily she still liked me!

When your not around I got faith. I'll wait. I know you got a family and that's ALL I need to know. Only a ass would begrudge you spending time with your family!

I try an take the time, and I sometimes fail, but I try and wrap my arms around my daughter and watch spongebob(or whatever she's watching) for a half hour and just listen to her laugh. It never gets old and it re-energizes me.

Knees. I know shit about knees but I had a buddy had his hip replaced. 50 yrs. of doing Martial Arts. Very high level, pro kickboxer. Hip just deteriorated to shit. After he got the new hip, Dude's kicking like he's in his 20's again.

Scary what they can do today. Hope it all works out.

I'll tell ya, I got a 5 year old and she's the light of my life.

I always spend as much time with her as I possibly can ;)

We have special days where I'll take off work, we go to a movie, hang out all day taking pictures, goofing off, etc . . .

Great stuff. Work be damned ;)

- tb

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, before ya know it you'll be threatening the life of boys trying to date her.

Welcome back to the fold, Sir!

It's always a breath of fresh air when you return after a stretch. It's nice to hear so many people want you involved in their projects, but I can relate to it crawling into your personal life, causing some rifts. Taking those breathers become a necessity. Looking forward to seeing what you have been up to.

Yeah, before ya know it you'll be threatening the life of boys trying to date her.

Ahh, that shit happens. Someone tries to mess with her though, there's gonna definitely be some trouble.

I have get out of jail free cards in 35 of the 50 continental states, barring manslaughter of course ;)

I'm equipping this girl to take care of herself, and so is my lovely lady, Missy. And there aren't too many fools who mess with her.

The boys trying to date her will be the ones in trouble ;)

And hey, thanks for the kind words , mistah JWeber!

X - TCB

Ha! I've been teaching my daughter to fight since she could move her arms!

She brings home her yearbook (6th grade) and tells me "this is my friend Maddie, This my friend Jessica, and that's (can't remember). I think he's really cute. I'm gonna ask him to go the movies."

"Um, no, ...your not."

"Someday."

"We'll see."

And my son chimes in. "That kid is Puerto Rican!" Which is hysterical only because I am half Puerto Rican.

Heh, I'm not the one teaching her to fight. I'm a scrummer, all self-taught ;)

She's getting ready for Aikido lessons though. I'm a firm believer of mind, body, spirit, and self defense.

She's pretty excited. She also wants more ballet. After she learns to swim. You can't own a pool and not know how to survive in the water . . .

I think we're training a superhero in the making ;)

When she's old enough I'll send her to her Great Uncle John Donovan, who was a professional mercenary, and a contributing editor for Soldier Of Fortune Magazine(demolitions). Then she'll REALLY get an education.

Never force shit though. Kids want to do it then their hearts will be in it . . . OK, I forced swimming but c'mon ;)

Gotta run, we're watching Tangled, ala BluRay!

- tb

Gotta run, we're watching Tangled, ala BluRay!

- tb

Tangled is a damn fine movie. Liked it a lot more than I had any right to.

Tangled is a damn fine movie. Liked it a lot more than I had any right to.

Shawn - I second that emotion ;)

Disney definitely came through with gorgeous graphics and animation as well as a top notch story with fun characters.

The fucking horse . . . Yeah, just a well done film.

- tb

It happens every year . . . Comicon fallout.

All the rush, all the maelstrom of activity leading up to the show. All the jobs that stack up that HAVE to be done.

Then the prep for SDCC itself. After the show is over on Sunday night it's sometimes 2 weeks before I can get the engine rolling again.

I'm fighting it now. Lots of stuff that needs attention and my energy and focus is still feeling drained.

All I wanna do is surf and watch movies, lay around and just R E S T.

Geez, you'd think I just got off a tour of duty in 'Nam!

Time to re-energize ;)

- tb

I enjoyed reading your update, Tim. Never a dull moment, ay? I've been hit and miss around here for a while, but am popping in more lately.

Bless you, R -

You know how it is.

Just hate to have you all holding the fort for such a long stretch.

Sometimes it is rather impossible to do everything you'd like to do.

I have people that are genuinely pissy with me when I don't respond to email.

Hell, I go 2-3 months without even talking to my own parents!

It's nice when folks understand.

You can just never take a loss of communication personally.

So MANY things to take into account. For folks to get angry when I'm sure they have similar situations occur in their own lives . . . Well, it just seems a tad narcissistic to take on that attitude.

Now I gotta call my folks ;)

- TB

PS - And so glad you enjoyed the little pre-viz sneak peek at a title card treatment for Shattered ;)

People get upset over the silliest of things. These people who get mad over your being unable to contact them need to read you’re blog. Then, maybe they’ll understand that your insanely busy. Then, again, some people never understand.

If you can balance a life of working & spending time w/ your family, then you’re doing it right.

Did you really call up your parents, Tim? If not, you should whenever you have time. ;)

Guest AdminGuyX

Tim, I think the best way to apologize for your absolute betrayal to all of us is to post up some new work.

;)

Thirddddddddd.

P.S.

I can't swim.