Sign in to follow this  
sidewaysgaze

Tom to appear at I-Con

Okay, this is hugely last-minute, but I just happened to see something online about this.

http://www.sbpress.com/2011/03/31/nerds-unite-i-con-is-back/

Tom is one of the 2 headling guests!!

Here's the official site: http://iconsf.org/

I hope some of you here can go see Tom and then let us know how it all was! :D

Jen

Guest AdminGuyX

Tim will also be there, and I'll tag along with my camera to film the hijinks. I believe our member "frottage" will also be there!

;)

Tim will also be there, and I'll tag along with my camera to film the hijinks. I believe our member "frottage" will also be there!

;)

Can't wait to see the footage, have a great time!

damn I wish these things happened in the UK.

;)

Ha, Indeed "Frottage" was there. I can't log into that anymore though, I don't know if I unitentionally changed my name, or my ex-assistant did it for me. I'm sans Frottage :(

Guest AdminGuyX

Try logging in to frottage again D. Let me know if it works.

It was a fun show. It had it's issues, sure as sin, but the good company of good friends, meeting Tom for the first time, and meeting Joe and Kasey Landsdale was well worth any troubles. I really look forward to doing it again!

Just in case you guys had any doubt whatsoever, Tom is as cool a person as you would hope he would be. I'll admit I was mildly nervous I'd encounter some hollywood bullshit attitude at some point during the weekend, but never did.

In order to fully appreciate I-Con and all it has to offer, you must be in peak physical condition. I fell down on the way to a panel Saturday morning and didn't get up until late that evening.

Tom is the cat's pajamas. Tim, despite his no holds barred abandonment, is the bees knees. I was nervous about meeting Noeland again.

In order to fully appreciate I-Con and all it has to offer, you must be in peak physical condition. I fell down on the way to a panel Saturday morning and didn't get up until late that evening.

Tom is the cat's pajamas. Tim, despite his no holds barred abandonment, is the bees knees. I was nervous about meeting Noeland again.

awesome time! great to meet some of the cats from the boards. NOELAND - thanks for the ride!

awesome time! great to meet some of the cats from the boards. NOELAND - thanks for the ride!

Tom, I have to say, that panel we were on there (directors and producers... maybe?), you said some pretty damn inspirational stuff. I don't think any of us knew what that panel was about, so to have taken anything away from it was very cool. I don't know how many times you've gone through the process of Dark Country and your experiences and what you'd like to continue doing, but sitting there hearing it genuinely struck punk rock chords with me,

I really do hope other potential directors and producers get to hear it and see the way things could be done, or just adopt the same approach through their own passion. The world could use it.

Frottage is BACK.

I-Con was, to put it bluntly . . . Not perhaps our normal cup of tea.

"Inconvenience" was the word of the weekend, that along with INDIGNANT ;)

Hotel was 45 minutes away from the convention, panels and programming were spread out across Stony Brook campus which made everything doubly difficult.

The show was completely over-programmed for most of us. We come to shows to meet the people and hopefully earn some bread, selling our wares at the table.

Programming is an EXTRA. Guests simply attending the show are the draw. Programming is not widely considered to be the FOCUS of the appearance. At I-Con that's all they think about.

For me, the show comes alive at the table. One or two panels is fine, maybe even three. But I was booked into showing at no less than 9 panels across 2.5 days.

A lot of humping from here to there. You end up spending NO time at your table because it's not just the hours blocked for programming, it's the TRAVEL between it all.

Microcosm - First panel I did was a panel on cover art, how it's made, what's the thought process that goes into it . . . Stick with me . . . .

It was hosted by Michael Wm Kaluta, Michael Golden, and myself . . . 4 people showed up and THEY CAME WITH ME.

I hate to say it out loud but I-Con 30 was run like a Jr. College gaming and RPG show. At least as far as the guests and the programming is concerned.

After a day and a half of hitting panels no one was attending I simply gave up the programming to stick at my table.

I-Con is not the home for a comics track . . . YET.

TJ's panels were a bit more successful.

I had to watch writer GUEST OF HONOR Joe R. Landsdale and his daughter Kasey, HUMP their own luggage across campus from panel to panel to radio appearance from the time they touched down from the airport until after midnight.

No one could watch their bags? And while they were doing all that walking and talking they never got a chance to be at their table and greet fans OR make $

That's fairly inexcusable. And this was how it was for most of the guests I spoke to.

I do have to add that our hosts were as nice as could be, and they helped as best they could given the amount of chaos.

I showed on Friday and had no table. So they put me at Tom's table in the media section. Tom and I were supposed to have 2 tables, one each. Now we had to split 1?

They fixed that and made sure we had snacks and drink, though we had to send our runners out to the "Green Room" which was located an inconvenient 10 minute walk from the dealer's room for anything more than nibbles.

We were conveniently located DIRECTLY in front of the restrooms. I couldn't have scripted this better.

All things considered, we made the best of it and had a BLAST anyway, cause there were GREAT friends and new friends in attendance.

Special shout out to - Noeland Collins, Patrick Kennedy, Damian Maffei, Tommy Jane, Joe R. Landsdale, Kasey Landsdale, Marcus Koch (Marcus Territory), Brian and Liz, Kitty, and Valery.

Frottage is BACK.

Hotel was 45 minutes away from the convention, panels and programming were spread out across Stony Brook campus which made everything doubly difficult.

The show was completely over-programmed for most of us. We come to shows to meet the people and hopefully earn some bread, selling our wares at the table.

Programming is an EXTRA. Guests simply attending the show are the draw. Programming is not widely considered to be the FOCUS of the appearance. At I-Con that's all they think about.

For me, the show comes alive at the table. One or two panels is fine, maybe even three. But I was booked into showing at no less than 9 panels across 2.5 days.

A lot of humping from here to there. You end up spending NO time at your table because it's not just the hours blocked for programming, it's the TRAVEL between it all.

Microcosm - First panel I did was a panel on cover art, how it's made, what's the thought process that goes into it . . . Stick with me . . . .

It was hosted by Michael Wm Kaluta, Michael Golden, and myself . . . 4 people showed up and THEY CAME WITH ME.

I hate to say it out loud but I-Con 30 was run like a Jr. College gaming and RPG show. At least as far as the guests and the programming is concerned.

After a day and a half of hitting panels no one was attending I simply gave up the programming to stick at my table.

I had to watch writer GUEST OF HONOR Joe R. Landsdale and his daughter Kasey, HUMP their own luggage across campus from panel to panel to radio appearance from the time they touched down from the airport until after midnight.

No one could watch their bags? And while they were doing all that walking and talking they never got a chance to be at their table and greet fans OR make $

That's fairly inexcusable. And this was how it was for most of the guests I spoke to.

I do have to add that our hosts were as nice as could be, and they helped as best they could given the amount of chaos.

I showed on Friday and had no table. So they put me at Tom's table in the media section. Tom and I were supposed to have 2 tables, one each. Now we had to split 1?

They fixed that and made sure we had snacks and drink, though we had to send our runners out to the "Green Room" which was located an inconvenient 10 minute walk from the dealer's room for anything more than nibbles.

We were conveniently located DIRECTLY in front of the restrooms. I couldn't have scripted this better.

All things considered, we made the best of it and had a BLAST anyway, cause there were GREAT friends and new friends in attendance.

Special shout out to - Noeland Collins, Patrick Kennedy, Damian Maffei, Tommy Jane, Joe R. Landsdale, Kasey Landsdale, Marcus Koch (Marcus Territory), Brian and Liz, Kitty, and Valery.

All of that sounds like one really chaotic scene.

Frottage is BACK.

That about sums it up, although Tim had the common sense to stop going to panels long before I did. And the various panel attendance was bizarre. I had no idea so many people wanted to hear me and Marcus Territory talk about books turned into film. I'll still not forgive them for forcing a table on me, then putting it 20 minutes away from everything else. Although with 37 panels to go to, I would have had little more than time to wave at the table, had I wanted to return to it.

Matters little anyway, as it's all prelude to the gobs of fun that went down afterward. Except for Friday night. Friday night sucked. Cold pickle with a side of indignant.

Pickle-Slaw combo . . . AWAY!

Just spammed Frottage with a sic pic of my side dish from Ronkonkoma Diner.

Yeah, that was fucked. I figured we were just going back to hotel for beddy-bye after we dropped you off and then someone mentioned food.

Bar was closed so we ate. I hadn't eaten since the evening before.

Sorry you got jipped out of the food-hang. Inexcusable. It's Patrick's fault ;)

x - tb

Pickle-Slaw combo . . . AWAY!

Just spammed Frottage with a sic pic of my side dish from Ronkonkoma Diner.

Yeah, that was fucked. I figured we were just going back to hotel for beddy-bye after we dropped you off and then someone mentioned food.

Bar was closed so we ate. I hadn't eaten since the evening before.

Sorry you got jipped out of the food-hang. Inexcusable. It's Patrick's fault ;)

x - tb

I knew Patrick had something to do with that. His whole "not being there" tipped me off to that. He's either in there, hands on, or pulling strings from a distance.

For a limited time only I offer up my newest profile pic. For interested parties, PM me and I'll send a photo copy of this pic signed by Tim Bradstreet, misspelled and in my handwriting.

Guest AdminGuyX

At least you got to hang out on saturday night D. I got jipped out of that! That WAS Patrick's fault. He told me a few times that I would not be able to attend that dinner, so I figured I should head out before it got much later. Into the driving rain I went thinking I was in my own for vittles. Next thing I know, Tim's calling me telling me Tom is "inviting me". OK. Cool. I turned around and thanks to the terrible storm, I got very lost, and nearly killed by a semi truck. I was lucky to find 495 and my way back to the hotel.

NOELAND - thanks for the ride!

Thanks for navigating, and the junkfood! I had no fucking idea where I was going. :) It ended up being one of the highlights of the weekend for me Tom, just to get a little time to chat and talk family in the middle of the show was nice. And we ended up driving through some pretty neighborhoods.

Yeah, Tim summed up the show perfectly. I don't think I attended a single panel I was supposed to. Just means the next show we all attend together will be that much better!

I can't wait.

At least you got to hang out on saturday night D. I got jipped out of that! That WAS Patrick's fault. He told me a few times that I would not be able to attend that dinner, so I figured I should head out before it got much later. Into the driving rain I went thinking I was in my own for vittles. Next thing I know, Tim's calling me telling me Tom is "inviting me". OK. Cool. I turned around and thanks to the terrible storm, I got very lost, and nearly killed by a semi truck. I was lucky to find 495 and my way back to the hotel.

Thanks for navigating, and the junkfood! I had no fucking idea where I was going. :) It ended up being one of the highlights of the weekend for me Tom, just to get a little time to chat and talk family in the middle of the show was nice. And we ended up driving through some pretty neighborhoods.

Yeah, Tim summed up the show perfectly. I don't think I attended a single panel I was supposed to. Just means the next show we all attend together will be that much better!

I can't wait.

Only because I hijacked Tom and Tim's would-be driver. And after he got lost 4 times and Marcus, Marcus from Florida, from Florida territory, told him he had passed the restaurant for the 4th time... we got there. I didn't know this though, I was informed that you had just "gone back to the hotel". Like some kind of pooper of parties. This is terrible news, Noeland. Worse than that Ben Johnson story. I don't think you missed anything at that "awards ceremony" though. Except us trying to get the hell out of there.

Perhaps 3rd time is the charm with our convention going. Although if it isn't I'm packing it in.

Just wanted to say thanks on the RAW forum! It was great having you at I-Con and way cool talking film. I'm also glad you had the pleasure of watching Joe R. Lansdale using me for the martial arts demo. Oh, and huge kudos on HEADSHOT! Walter Hill and Stallone? Outstanding!