Thomas Jane

DARK COUNTRY 3D on BLURAY!

Guest AdminGuyX

Geoff, if I may ask, have you employed any of the techniques you used on Dark Country in any of your projects since?

I hope to pick your brain in person some day! I don't get to talk about this stuff in person often enough.

ya know it could have been a whole lot worse. i'm pretty happy. now i gotta figure out from Sony what the USA Blu Ray plans are...

I'm considering this too, but a Director's Cut would really squeak my monkey.

The infamous 'moving hand' on the French Blu Ray box is funny though. Watching it en français would be interesting.

It's true, the 3D version is available to download on PS3. We called it up at my house and it was $30.

Speaking of the 3D version, Thomas was here last week with the "Czar of Noir" Eddie Muller at the Castro Theater in San Francisco for this:

aa7prm.jpg

I love this artwork the most.

QUOTE (Mike V @ Mar 24 2011, 07:22 AM)

Hey ho whatta ya know, I found the Blu-ray cover. It doesn't have the terrible rectangle of floating heads, so it is a step up.

84533434.jpg

ya know it could have been a whole lot worse. i'm pretty happy. now i gotta figure out from Sony what the USA Blu Ray plans are...

I really loved this movie. And I like the cover to.

QUOTE (Thomas Jane @ Jun 25 2011, 01:01 PM)

I'm considering this too, but a Director's Cut would really squeak my monkey.

The infamous 'moving hand' on the French Blu Ray box is funny though. Watching it en français would be interesting.

It's true, the 3D version is available to download on PS3. We called it up at my house and it was $30.

Speaking of the 3D version, Thomas was here last week with the "Czar of Noir" Eddie Muller at the Castro Theater in San Francisco for this:

aa7prm.jpg

I love this artwork the most.

The artwork is great kind of creepy looking but that is what I like.

On 3/24/2011 at 2:49 AM, Thomas Jane said:

so i just got an email from a French distrib co. - Dark Country is being released on Bluray... in 3D!!

next month.

they want me to do a few interviews and such to promote the film, and i'm both thrilled, and disappointed.

thrilled because we finally have the film put out the way it was meant - in 3D!

disappointed because NO ONE TOLD ME about his earlier - i would have loved to have lobbied for a directors cut.

i've been dying to cut down the beginning sequence in the hotel room - Sony made me add a few minutes to reach the 88 minute minimum they weirdly have on their films.

and it's alway bugged me.

and i would have loved to give them TIM BRADSTREET's art for the poster - much cooler than whatever they are gonna come up with.

i havent seen the art yet - when i do i'll post it here. the French are pretty groovy though, so fingers crossed they come up with something slightly cooler than the american dvd poster Sony put together.

ahh, well -looks like the directors cut will have to wait!

oh, and they are also putting the regular dvd out in 3D - anaglyph!

TJ

I ordered it 😊

Should arrive in a few days... impatience... again...

Received it today! Just watched Dark Country for the second time 🙂

Yes the 3D is really adding to this feeling "I'm in the middle of it with them" and I'm glad to have seen it both ways. However, I have to admit that I would recommend to buy this version only if either you possess a 3D Blu-Ray player or are a hardcore fan. I belong to the second category only and had to use the anaglyph glasses delivered with the DVD. I'm sorry to say the quality is terrible. The white color of the dress or the shirt was reddish yellowish and I had regulary a ghost image. I wondered if maybe it is linked to what Tom explained with the layers of color in the Bible: the foreground was really perfect in 3D but the other person, either Dick or Gina was showing a shadow.

This effect would certainly not have been visible under theatrical circumstances and a good projection quality.

On the other hand, for those discovering the Dark Country, there is also the standard 2D version of the movie on the Blu-Ray and the DVD, so I must say, you get 4 movies for the price of one 🙂 and if like me, you still have the mind of a 6 years old, enjoy! but start with 2D first.

Oh and Tom speaking French is feeling as wrong as that now iconic shovel on the cover! I listened to it during two minutes for fun.

19 hours ago, Enaira said:

Received it today! Just watched Dark Country for the second time 🙂

Yes the 3D is really adding to this feeling "I'm in the middle of it with them" and I'm glad to have seen it both ways. However, I have to admit that I would recommend to buy this version only if either you possess a 3D Blu-Ray player or are a hardcore fan. I belong to the second category only and had to use the anaglyph glasses delivered with the DVD. I'm sorry to say the quality is terrible. The white color of the dress or the shirt was reddish yellowish and I had regulary a ghost image. I wondered if maybe it is linked to what Tom explained with the layers of color in the Bible: the foreground was really perfect in 3D but the other person, either Dick or Gina was showing a shadow.

This effect would certainly not have been visible under theatrical circumstances and a good projection quality.

On the other hand, for those discovering the Dark Country, there is also the standard 2D version of the movie on the Blu-Ray and the DVD, so I must say, you get 4 movies for the price of one 🙂 and if like me, you still have the mind of a 6 years old, enjoy! but start with 2D first.

I never got around to getting the 3D Blue Ray.  Think I'll stick with the two versions I've got. 

3 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Think I'll stick with the two versions I've got. 

Bragging!  😉

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I never got around to getting the 3D Blue Ray.  Think I'll stick with the two versions I've got. 

And meanwhile, some of us can't even find one version to watch!

Am a bit astonished. Amazon had several versions to offer. Strange... 

14 minutes ago, The Goktor said:

And meanwhile, some of us can't even find one version to watch!

Dark Country (With Special Features) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003KOVQX8/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_b9BsDbHWYB9SE

Here on Amazon. 

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Dark Country (With Special Features) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003KOVQX8/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_b9BsDbHWYB9SE

Here on Amazon. 

I have nothing to play DVDs on! (Nor BluRays.) I am completely digital! 

But thank you for looking - much appreciated. 🙏

14 minutes ago, Enaira said:

Am a bit astonished. Amazon had several versions to offer. Strange... 

Yes but none are digital!