Thomas Jane

DARK COUNTRY 3D on BLURAY!

so i just got an email from a French distrib co. - Dark Country is being released on Bluray... in 3D!!

next month.

they want me to do a few interviews and such to promote the film, and i'm both thrilled, and disappointed.

thrilled because we finally have the film put out the way it was meant - in 3D!

disappointed because NO ONE TOLD ME about his earlier - i would have loved to have lobbied for a directors cut.

i've been dying to cut down the beginning sequence in the hotel room - Sony made me add a few minutes to reach the 88 minute minimum they weirdly have on their films.

and it's alway bugged me.

and i would have loved to give them TIM BRADSTREET's art for the poster - much cooler than whatever they are gonna come up with.

i havent seen the art yet - when i do i'll post it here. the French are pretty groovy though, so fingers crossed they come up with something slightly cooler than the american dvd poster Sony put together.

ahh, well -looks like the directors cut will have to wait!

oh, and they are also putting the regular dvd out in 3D - anaglyph!

TJ

I see how this is going to be bittersweet.

Since it's a French company, does this mean it's for overseas only, or is this going to hit State side?

As I don't have a 3D tv, I'll check out the dvd.

Worst case scenerio, we get more cool custom covers by Tim and Allcock!

I'm with you there! But, don't forget to toss your work in the ring, Mr. Sparkle ;)

I did do some very, very early work for a Blu Ray cover for fun... Hopefully the cover we get will be just fine though.

So with such little announcement, I take it we aren't getting any new special features? That would be a bummer.

Hey ho whatta ya know, I found the Blu-ray cover. It doesn't have the terrible rectangle of floating heads, so it is a step up.

84533434.jpg

Hmmm...

Dark-Country-2009-Front-Cover-15024.jpg

It's a definite step up. Though, the American release still has a chance of pulling a Malone on us.

Quick question, do the 3D Blu Rays offer a 2D version? That way I can just buy the 3D and not have to repurchase if I ever got a 3D tv.

It's a definite step up. Though, the American release still has a chance of pulling a Malone on us.

Quick question, do the 3D Blu Rays offer a 2D version? That way I can just buy the 3D and not have to repurchase if I ever got a 3D tv.

What do you mean by that, I'm pretty sure its only coming out in France for the time being.

;)

What do you mean by that, I'm pretty sure its only coming out in France for the time being.

Crap, I jumped the gun on that one! Well... hopefully a US release will happen some day :D

I am just baffled that our director is not even given a heads-up yet is asked to participate in promoting the film's release - which of course he would do anyway - but why not just check in with him before hand? Simple courtesy. Sheesh - and, ironically, for release in a country that LOVES her directors. ;)

Stupid question time: Is anaglyph the one where you need the glasses or don't need the glasses to see the 3D?

Still has the stupid shovel on the cover. I wish that was gone.

Did anyone in marketing even watched the film? I still have yet to find that shovel ;)

Just switch it with the tire iron. It's more menacing anyway.

Guest AdminGuyX

What's with the giant hand? I know it's supposed to be a forced perspective, but it just looks like a giant fucking hand coming out of the ground right in front of them.

Only a very slight step up for me. But I am often in shock by DVD sleeve art, even on films that were big hits you find complete shit photoshop hack jobs left and right.

We need an artistic revolution in film marketing.

But hey, I'm just happy as a spanked monkey that someone released this film in 3D. That's awesome.

It's like it says in Berni Wrightson's art book, the suits just don't like posters to look like art.

Bittersweet, indeed. The words Dark Country belong w/ 3D. However, why can't we have it? Tom, you should have control on the release. I thought you wanted to release it when 3D televisions had been perfected. Though, I wouldn't mind watching the regular DVD in 3D. That could be interesting.

I've been dreaming of a Dark Country: Director's Cut. It needs to happen. Whose arms do we have to twist?

As for the 3D cover, I wouldn't call it a step in any right direction. Now, all I can see is that non-existant shovel. So glad I have the correct cover--Tim's--on my DVD. I sleep better at night because of it. ;)

Still has the stupid shovel on the cover. I wish that was gone.

Yes! They dug with their HANDS damnit, THEIR HANDS!

It's about as ridiculous as Ving Rhames on that shitty Malone DVD cover holding a gun . . .wha?

- tb

I don't know which is more annoying, the shovel or that ridiculous hand. I mean, both are obviously added in as afterthoughts, and very poorly, I might add. Not to mention that NEITHER one of them has anything to do with the damn movie whatsoever. Honestly those talking heads who make those decisions are a bunch of braindead morons.

Speaking of, I've got the Bradstreet version of the cover, but how do I print it to make it fit the dvd case? When I print it, it's always too small.

oh, and they are also putting the regular dvd out in 3D - anaglyph!

Coupla questions- anaglyph is the one with the red and blue glasses, right? So it won't be the RealD version that you showed at the 3DFF last year? How is that different? Does it look different on screen?

And this is only available in France for now, right? No word on when we might get a US release, huh?

Does anyone have an idea of UK release date. It seems a bit much to move to the US in order to get Tj films first hand......... But then again!

Not sure on what the UK reigon code is, but the French Blu Ray is B (I think BD's only have 3 codes). If that works in the UK, you might want to track one of these down.

Not sure on what the UK reigon code is, but the French Blu Ray is B (I think BD's only have 3 codes). If that works in the UK, you might want to track one of these down.

Hi, thanks. I think that the UK region code is 2?? but will try and track one down and get it shipped over, legend, thanks.

Hey ho whatta ya know, I found the Blu-ray cover. It doesn't have the terrible rectangle of floating heads, so it is a step up.

84533434.jpg

ya know it could have been a whole lot worse. i'm pretty happy. now i gotta figure out from Sony what the USA Blu Ray plans are...

ya know it could have been a whole lot worse. i'm pretty happy. now i gotta figure out from Sony what the USA Blu Ray plans are...

Maybe a Director's Cut is still a possibility for the US? ;)

so i just got an email from a French distrib co. - Dark Country is being released on Bluray... in 3D!!

next month.

TJ

My copy arrives from Amazon.fr tomorrow but I have already downloaded a rip from the web :-(

It was available, and very good quality as well within a week of the Blu Ray being released!

I hope to show this Blu Ray at the Z-Axis club monthly meeting in London on the 13th of July.

Tom, tell me what I should cut out os the opening scen and I'll make a directors cut for the showing!!

Geoff