Sign in to follow this  
Mike V

Art Shit

So in the past couple of months I've been getting back into drawing/doodling, and I was just wondering if Tim or any of the other artistically inclined members on this board could recommend some affordable quality art supplies. Because all I've had to work with are a ball point pen, a mechanical pencil and a sharpie.

So in the past couple of months I've been getting back into drawing/doodling, and I was just wondering if Tim or any of the other artistically inclined members on this board could recommend some affordable quality art supplies. Because all I've had to work with are a ball point pen, a mechanical pencil and a sharpie.

Well, I use mechanical pencils all the time. 03, 05, 07 and 09. Depends how heavy a line I want. 07's and 09's are awesome for shading. You can even buy them in a couple of different lead types, EXPERIMENT! Have fun!

I also use a lot of sharpies...I know that technically for comic work it is considered a BAD THING...I still do it. In the digital age it all scans black and stays black...the original done with a sharpie will eventually fade into an odd purple blackish color. Also, sharpies and drawing pens will soak down into the paper. INK will generally not do that...it will stay on top of the page and can be erased in case of mistakes.

I also use a lot of drawing pens, PIGMA is my favorite, but my brother Noeland swears by the LE PEN. I almost never use a brush and india ink anymore, instead I just use pentel BLACK brush pens. No mess no fuss.

For comic work, I draw to size...I know, it's another "No-No", but it works for me. I draw on bristol board, but I buy it at staples, 250 sheets for 9 bucks, versus, comic paper from blue line pro, 20 sheets for 25 bucks. I just draw in the margins, know which printer it is going to, so I know the "LIVE" area for the art and word bubbles.

Other than that, Hell, go to an art store and wander around, buy some cheap shit and try it out. If you enjoy it, Great, if not, hell, no real lose!

Look forward to seeing your work!

Everything I've done lately has been digital, but I do always go back to the basics every once in awhile.

For light sketching I use 2H to 4H pencils; they'll let you put down a soft line that's easily replaceable. You can get sets that have a bunch of different assortments, or just buy them by pencil (probably 50 cents, give or take). For inking, I prefer Fabre-Castell pens (.005, .2, and brush), but I'm not made of money, so the Pigma's work (they also ain't bad quality, and a little cheaper).

Guest AdminGuyX

I would advise you to hit your local hobby lobby, Pearl, or Michaels and buy some different pencil and pen products, papers, bristol boards, and some thin brushes and india ink, and just experiment. Every now and again I will do this to test out tools I haven't used before, or haven't used in a long while, just to see what I like and what I can do with it.

While yeah, I do love my Lepens, I also love a good brush pen too. They are a lot cleaner to goof around with than brushes and ink.

:)