Sign in to follow this  
Guest AdminGuyX

Coen's TRUE GRIT

Guest AdminGuyX

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46744

This looks pretty good. I'm officially looking forward to it.

The original True Grit is one of my favorite westerns, and favorite John Wayne flicks. Nothing rubbing me wrong about this re-adaptation so far.

Even Matt Damon doesn't bother me.

I'm thinking I'll be seeing this...more than once!

Would this be considered a re-make since it is based on a book? I know everyone knows it as the John Wayne film, so I thought I'd ask.

That said, I can't wait to see this :D

Would this be considered a re-make since it is based on a book? I know everyone knows it as the John Wayne film, so I thought I'd ask.

Good Point. I often forget about stuff like that :P . Same as Rambo being based on a book. Maybe we can call it a re-imagining? I'm also curious about how "Let me in" will differ from the original movie.

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, that's why I called it a re-adaptation. :)

Good Point. I often forget about stuff like that :P . Same as Rambo being based on a book. Maybe we can call it a re-imagining? I'm also curious about how "Let me in" will differ from the original movie.

I've heard Let Me In is more or less the same It's suppose to be and really well made though.

Guest AdminGuyX

You're right though, a lot of folks (most maybe?) don't even know it's a book. It's a John Wayne film for them and that's all.

I've never read the novel, maybe I will after I see the new flick.

You're right though, a lot of folks (most maybe?) don't even know it's a book. It's a John Wayne film for them and that's all.

I've never read the novel, maybe I will after I see the new flick.

Just bought it used at a local store for 50 cents, give it to you when I'm done with it.

This was really good, between the two, I'll go with this one over the original.

This was really good, between the two, I'll go with this one over the original.

They are almost 2 different films to watch. I loved JW in the original, but Cambell as La Beef...god, he almost makes the original unwatchable. I also enjoyed the "Fill your hands you son of a bitch" scene, in the original a lot more than the new version. But overall, I enjoyed the remake much more than the original. Just a better movie overall, much better acting on all fronts and a just a better western to boot. Very good film!

Guest AdminGuyX

I saw this today finally. I enjoyed it. I don't think it's "better" than the 1969 version, but that's one of my favorite films ever, so I wasn't really expecting to like it more. 90% of the dialogue is exactly the same, as they both stay very close to the book. The main difference is in the new version, everything looks dirty. ;) Hathaway made the landscape a character in the 1969 version. There are some gorgeous landscape shots. The new film is also well shot, but much more claustrophobic.

I was laughing once I saw Ned Pepper. They cast Barry Pepper to play Ned Pepper. That's going to make me chuckle for a long while.

Wayne played Cogburn as a Marshall first, and a drunk second. Bridges played him as a drunk first and a mercenary second, and maybe a Marshall if it suits him. It was an interesting take on the character and I liked his take quite a bit.

Both great films in their own right, based on a very good book.

I have not seen the original, so for me it was a whole new experience. I've always been an Eastwood fan, so my Wayne veiwing experience has been lack. I've been catching a few here and there, have yet to see True Grit.

The Coen's version as amazing. I didn't realize that it was supposed to be comical. I had seen a few reviews and it kind of shocked me that it would be. Anyone would be after seeing the trailer with the Johnny Cash song. It looked dark as hell. In the end, it was dark as hell, and comical, but comical in the same vein as Fargo. My kind of humor.

Bridges was spectacular. I could see him taking home the Oscar again. Damon was hillarious, and Brolin as a scumbag. I'm with Noeland, I too was laughing at the thought of Barry Pepper as Ned Pepper. I didn't even know he was in this, but he as pretty danm good. And the actress who played the little girl. Wow. I hope she gets some recognition for her work. Just great. I feel bad for her because Bridges is getting all the attention (deservedly).

I was see True Grit has reached the 100 millon dollar mark, which is great. It is the first Coen film to reach this mark, which is kind of surprising and sad. They have so many great films.

All in all, great film, even if the Johnny Cash trailer had me thinking things would have been a bit diffrent.

Guest AdminGuyX

You're not alone. I think many people were expecting the story to be darker than it was, or more intense than it was. I was surprised with how some of the shots in the trailer were so bad ass, but in the film they were almost throw away moments. Cogburn pulling his gun out at the entrance of the silver mine for instance was one of my favorite shots from the trailer, but in the film it's kind of a joke.

You should really only see the '69 film if you like the old western aesthetic. It's a 60's western through and through. It would be cool if Bridges won an oscar, since the role gave Wayne his only oscar. That would be very fitting.

I also agree with my big brother, the "fill your hand you son of a bitch" moment was just cooler in the '69 version, of course Wayne had a different rig than Bridges. Wayne was flip cocking a winchester 92 lever action rifle during his charge.

I wasn't expecting it to be really dark, honestly it was PG-13 and the Coens even said they were going to inject more of the humour from the book into their version. So I pretty much got what I was expecting from a Coen Brothers film.