sidewaysgaze

A Magnificent Death from a Shattered Hand

Link to brief update on Mag. Death, as well as Tom's possible move from actor to director in the future.

"I'm not even sure if I'm going to continue with the acting thing too much longer. I guess my spirit's been moving into the direction of creating my own stuff for a number of years now, with RAW Studios, writing, and creating my own comic books." Later on Jane elaborated, saying, "They just don't make the movies I'd be good in.""

http://www.filmschoo...irons-jgiro.php

Jen

It would be sad to see him retire from acting. But he is a good director and he has a good head for business especially for raw studios and the comic books. So maybe change would be good. Who knows.

I think Tom is good, often great, in the movies he's been in. I think he instantly brings up the general feel of any film he's in. The film is instantly more interesting, instantly more watchable. Tom's got layers and is an original. I think the problem is Hollywood is a pain in the ass.

I'm kind of mixed on this one. I think Tom will be an amazing director and I look forward to seeing what he has in mind. I just hope he's still open to taking the occasional cameo (ala Scott Pilgrim) or even leading role when the right film comes around. Tom has a keen sense of what he wants to do and how he want it to look. Anyone who has seen the RAW books knows, this guy makes things look good, and if he can't do it himself, he finds someone who can.

Unfortunatly, Esco is right. Hollywood is a pain in the ass. Most of them don't get it, and timing always seems off. Maybe directing will help Tom to get the films he wants to be in get made. But, if he does decide to hang it up, I wish him the best.

Yes. I forgot to mention, I enjoy Tom in his films but I really dug Dark Country and I would be just as excited to see a film he directed.

I'd really like to see him go the Written, directed and starring route. Judging by the response from Dirty Laundry Tom's got a rabid following who are willing to pony up to see him break bad guys up. It's front page news all over the net.

IF Marvel doesnt move to get Jane a Punisher film, why not write his own DeathWish-type script or a Faster (Dwayne Johnson flick)?

Can't wait till this movie is out. I know he hasn't even started filming it yet. I heard he is going to start filming it in september. :) :)

Here's the link to a short interview w/ Tom at Comic Con (with Tim there too) about AMDFASH, with a pan of the camera on the film's poster artwork - nice!

http://www.fearnet.com/videos/exclusive-thomas-jane-magnificent-death-shattered-hand

Jen

Articles discussing the film:

http://www.variety.c...632?refCatId=13

http://www.screendai...5048580.article

"Thomas Jane is set to make his directorial debut on A Magnificent Death from a Shattered Hand..." ??? Um…am I missing something here? Why aren’t they counting Dark Country?

Um…am I missing something here? Why aren’t they counting Dark Country?

They may not be counting Dark Country because it was released direct to video. There is a tendency to ignore short films and anything not given a theatrical release. Frank Darabont was kind of the same way in that he directed short films, a TV movie and a direct-to-video movie all before The Shawshank Redemption, but Shawshank was and still is regarded as his "Directorial Debut" because it was his first "theatrical feature."

"Thomas Jane is set to make his directorial debut on A Magnificent Death from a Shattered Hand..." ??? Um…am I missing something here? Why aren’t they counting Dark Country?

It could be a lot of diffrent takes. Mango Tango makes a good point that since Dark Country was DTV, they might not include it, but my guess is that (especially now in the internet age) someone is a shoddy reporter and didn't do their homework.

It could be a lot of diffrent takes. Mango Tango makes a good point that since Dark Country was DTV, they might not include it, but my guess is that (especially now in the internet age) someone is a shoddy reporter and didn't do their homework.

Oh like that is a big surprise. Don't understand how they could of missed that.

They may not be counting Dark Country because it was released direct to video. There is a tendency to ignore short films and anything not given a theatrical release. Frank Darabont was kind of the same way in that he directed short films, a TV movie and a direct-to-video movie all before The Shawshank Redemption, but Shawshank was and still is regarded as his "Directorial Debut" because it was his first "theatrical feature."

Yeah, I figured that would be the reason behind it, but I still think it’s a mistake. The fact that Tom considers Dark Country as his directorial debut should be valuable enough to recognize it as such. I was about to bring up that we also shouldn't forget Jonni Nitro, but Tom doesn’t even consider that as his debut.

Or it's just a typo. But here's the poster for it.

Wow! Oh. My. Goodness! *jaw dropping in slow-mo* That incredible poster would look great on my bedroom wall. ;)

Yup. It's pretty sad when an online "journalist" doesn't take the time to Google. :blink:

That is an awesome poster, loving this!!

ok,now i'm up to date on this film. sounds fantastic! and i want the poster!

poster is great, ain't it? that's our own Timmy B, but i guess you knew that. i kinda dig that they don't include the DTV or tv movies in a director's oeuvre. it gives us a chance to polish the silver.

update is: we have the financing. now we are casting the crucial roles, with big enough names to make everybody feel secure. the ol' 'name game.' i have high hopes that we'll find our guys (and gals) and be hitting the high desert in the Spring.

i will let ya'll know what happens!

oh and speaking of polishing the silver, i just got out of the bowels and back alleys of Sony Studios, where an amazing cat named Joe Virsi sat down with me and did a 'television cut' of ye olde Dark Country! not really a tv cut at all, Joe let me take out the 8 minutes that i had to put in when we did the original cut, to make some crazy dvd time minimum. we threw in a couple easter eggs too. man, that felt good. i never thought i'd get the chance to do my version. never. i had buried the idea long ago. But Joe, must be some kind of guardian angel to the film gods. if it's ever picked up for tv, Joe will push the 'tv cut' which is really the directors cut! which i'm calling the 'Midnight Man' cut. thanks Joe!

all sounds great! much good luck...cause i do want the poster, t-shirt and action figure for this one! midnight man cut....when?

Congratulations on the financing. You already have some cool names attached, I'm sure it won't take much to draw more in. And like we mentioned before, with the sucsess of Django, maybe people will be more open to Westerns again. The way it should be ;)

poster is great, ain't it? that's our own Timmy B, but i guess you knew that. i kinda dig that they don't include the DTV or tv movies in a director's oeuvre. it gives us a chance to polish the silver.

update is: we have the financing. now we are casting the crucial roles, with big enough names to make everybody feel secure. the ol' 'name game.' i have high hopes that we'll find our guys (and gals) and be hitting the high desert in the Spring.

i will let ya'll know what happens!

oh and speaking of polishing the silver, i just got out of the bowels and back alleys of Sony Studios, where an amazing cat named Joe Virsi sat down with me and did a 'television cut' of ye olde Dark Country! not really a tv cut at all, Joe let me take out the 8 minutes that i had to put in when we did the original cut, to make some crazy dvd time minimum. we threw in a couple easter eggs too. man, that felt good. i never thought i'd get the chance to do my version. never. i had buried the idea long ago. But Joe, must be some kind of guardian angel to the film gods. if it's ever picked up for tv, Joe will push the 'tv cut' which is really the directors cut! which i'm calling the 'Midnight Man' cut. thanks Joe!

The poster would be a HOT item in the store.

I like DTV & TV movies being counted as debuts -- How many times can you have a first time? ^_^

Congratulations on getting the financing for A Magnificent Death from a Shattered Hand!

Tom, just your being in it makes me a happy camper. Jeremy Irons & Nick Nolte are two great names, as well. Now, I gotta think of who else you might get. Perhaps Ron Perlman (please)? Of course, he’s already been “Magnificent” before. ;)

I think this is the cast of 2013 that I’m looking forward the most to seeing be filled.

Dark Country “Midnight Man” Cut -- That’s AMAZING news! I’m so happy you got to make the version you wanted & had intended to make. I could feel the emotion in your words; I got a little teary-eyed. :wub:

so mr.TJ...i know you are so busy with this and other projects, but...can you give us anything more? casting, sites , smells, tones of the film? will it have a grainy look?soundtrack? is this a dirty teeth western? will it have a lonely or lonesome feel? throw me a bone...thanks

Hey sinn - Check out this article about AMDFASH with lots 'o' quotes from Tom. He says it's going to be a more classic Western with natural locations and not a revisionist Western. Sounds good to me! :D

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogssundanceblog/55695621-50/jane-western-location-ford.html.csp

Jen

MR. JANE...you must carry on of these in this film. a Lamat 42cal, 9 shot, 1 buck shot pistol. if you don't know this civil war era gun check it out