johnpweber

Scott Pilgrim

I've never gotten around to reading Scott Pilgrim, but the film looks pretty funny. It's Edgar Wright, the guy just knows how to do funny films. Also, I think Jason Schwartzman is highly under-rated as an actor.

Reading some of the early reviews, I was shocked to find out Tom has a cameo in the film. I have not found much info on this, but one of the reviews I read stated that Tom has one of the best cameos in any film ever. Now I've got to see this.

I've never gotten around to reading Scott Pilgrim, but the film looks pretty funny. It's Edgar Wright, the guy just knows how to do funny films. Also, I think Jason Schwartzman is highly under-rated as an actor.

Reading some of the early reviews, I was shocked to find out Tom has a cameo in the film. I have not found much info on this, but one of the reviews I read stated that Tom has one of the best cameos in any film ever. Now I've got to see this.

A cameo of Tom? What!? This movie just went from a "Maybe" to a "Definite." Jason Schwartzman is the reason I had planned on seeing it. I love this guy. One of my favorite movies is Rushmore.

Yeah, I heard about it. I think I may know what it is, which sucks for me because I've heard it's a great surprise.

Either way I've been looking forward to seeing this since it was first announced, I mean it's Edgar Wright. I'm his bitch when it comes to his movies, I'll see them no matter what.

I've seen the film and Tom definitely has a cameo alongside another really cool actor. It was a total shock to me and a very fun cameo.

That being said, I absolutely hated the film. Scott & Ramona are not compelling characters. I never cared about them. So despite all of the fancy gimmicks, the film never hooked me and I was totally bored. After Scott fights 2 of the Evil Exes, my friend Marc turned to me and said, "You know, there's still 5 more." We both groaned.

Edgar Wright is very talented and there's some very cool visual stuff going on. But at the end of the day, you still have to have a great story, compelling characters, and a great screenplay. A bunch of video game characters running around and fighting each other does not make for a good movie.

On the other side of the coin, I dug the film. Was I completely enthralled and excited? Absolutely not. The only reason I wanted to see it was because Edgar Wright directed it, who actually coaxed an alright performance out of the one trick pony, Michael Cera.

This is one where I think you're either going to have a really fun time watching it, or completely dump on it. Either way is fair game.

I really dug the comics since it didn't take itself seriously but was disappointed in the final volume so I'm pretty sure I'll feel the same way about the movie. Scott and Ramona aren't really compelling characters in the books either but I think that's the whole point. Scott is introduced in the book with a 'rating of awesome' and then you quickly find out he's just a slightly below average guy with nothing really special going on for him. I see the scott pilgrim graphic novels as more of a humorous statement on my generation of 20 something year old video game playing comic book nerds. Still a pretty fun romp though.

Kinda too bad that TJ's cameo is out of the bag, it is a sweet surprise if you don't know it's coming.

Tom and I ducked into the SP screening at San Diego Comicon and let me tell you, love the film or not impressed, I've NEVER seen anything like THAT crowd.

Packed theater and it was playing to the PERFECT crowd. I've never seen an audience react like that throughout a film, insane.

Cheering was non-stop, applause came in waves. Everyone was plugged IN. Pilgrim SLAYED at SDCC.

After the credits (no one got up and left) Edgar came out and teased the crowd. The applause still had not completely died away and he asks, "So what did you think?"

The house came DOWN.

Then he brings the cast out to the stage one by one until finally Jane leaps from the shadows and jumped up with 'em.

People were freaking the fuck OUT. It was like The Beatles were standing there.

Then the cast filed out and people made a mad scramble for the theater's exterior side door so they could get a closer glimpse.

I made my way through the thick not knowing if Tom was riding back on the shuttle (complete with it's phalanx of security guards) or he was going to sneak back and reconnect with me some way.

The cast came out and the cheering and screaming was deafening. I saw TJ get on the shuttle so I started to text him when he comes back off and tries to carve his way through the maniacal throng.

I pull him out and we walk back up to the corner and he's MOBBED. It was actually pretty freaking cool. He took a few pics and signed a few Hancocks and then I got him out of there.

I only saw the back third of the film and I've never read the comic but I have to say that crowd was just infectious. I had fun. Like to see the whole thing.

- TB

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed I found out about it. But, it was never-the-less great seeing him burst through a wall with Clifton Collins, Jr., that was a great moment. But the greatest moment of the cameo was their exit, "YEAH!" *high five*.

I had a fun time with the movie, I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the theater. I haven't laughed that much in a good long while.

For me, the movie was just okay. It seemed to take a while for it to pick up any momentum and I really didn't care for Scott or Ramona as characters. The supporting cast was pretty good, and I loved the music. TJ was hilarious, but for me, it was Kieran Culkin who stole the show. The theater was pretty empty, I could see how it would play better in a crowd.

Tom got a pretty good reaction from my crowd, and yeah Kieran Culkin stole the show.

For those of you following along with the books...

The character shows up in vol 3, Scott Pilgrim & the Infinite Sadness.

Dessert sounds so good right now.

Saw this movie and really liked it. I had fun watching Scott Pilgrim. I thought the fight scenes were cool and also each one had some stand-out moments. There was only one fight that I just couldn't wait until it ended.

This movie will definitely keep you awake. I love all of the unique transitions and cuts. Great music. I laughed at pretty much everything Michael Cera said; I've always loved his delivery. But if there was anyone who stole the show, that would be Kieran Culkin. He became my favorite pretty quickly. (nice to see others on here feel that way, too)

I enjoyed all of the little video game visual effects. Those were entertaining to either see or read.

Having known that Jason Schwartzman is the final ex, I always had him to look forward to. He plays a bad guy so smoothly. How can you not love him? He's definitely my overall favorite character. Being part of the final showdown, his fight with Pilgrim is the most exciting. I wanted it to go on forever, because I didn't want to see him turn into coins.

I also loved Chris Evans (as always) and Brandon Routh (hardly ever). Loved Evans' deep voice; it made him turn into a whole new person on-screen. Wasn't sure I was going to like Routh as a blonde, but then he somehow made the look work. And plus he's actually funny when he's talking about a maid and dusting. :D

As for Ramona, I was expecting her to be exciting. She was too blah for me. Knives was a much more interesting character, even though she does the same routine all of the time. I'm not familiar with these characters, but I thought we'd at least see Ramona as a thrill-seeker. I don't know how she got the attention of her exes. The only wow-factor she offers is her hair color.

Then there's the cameo by Tom. Even though I knew he was in it, I never found out who he was or when he'd popped up. A place I thought he'd be, he wasn't. Then he enters. And boy did I become excited seeing him on-screen as......I won't say. I don't want to ruin an already spoiled surprise.

All I'll say is that he's funny and random--a beautiful combo. :P

And I was relieved after I saw him. Why? Because I spent the time before his arrival trying hard not to blink. I didn't know how long his cameo would be. Wonder if his character will get a spin-off. (I'd see it) And the high five? Classic. :lol:

If you like fun movies, you'll like Scott Pilgrim.

This is one of those movies that should've been in 3D and isn't. Go figure.

https://www.slashfilm.com/edgar-wright-movies-ranked/

Edgers films ranked on the 15th anniversary of Shaun Of The Dead.

I personally loved Scott Pilgram, I had no idea what it was when I watched it and whilst aware of Toms cameo I dont think it detracted too much from how awesome it was and kinda enables Scott to move on to be fair otherwise Brandon would have kicked Scotts ass!

Yeah (High five!) 

From Tom's Insta yesterday. 

IMG_0309-1024x768.jpg

11 minutes ago, Geoff said:

From Tom's Insta yesterday. 

IMG_0309-1024x768.jpg

If you look up ‘cool’ in the dictionary, this is all it needs to show!!!

Behold...2019 SDCC EXCLUSIVE POP! VINYLS: THE VEGAN POLICE!!!!!!! 😍🙌😎

https://www.funko.com/blog/article/2019-sdcc-exclusive-reveals-scott-pilgrim 

vegan-fondo.jpg

39964_ScottPilgrim_VeganPolice_2PK_POP_G

Now, the chance of getting one of these is gonna be limited. But it's still SO EXCITING to see TJ become a POP! Vinyl figurel!! & I hope he'll get one! 😃

23 minutes ago, Rosella said:

Behold...2019 SDCC EXCLUSIVE POP! VINYLS: THE VEGAN POLICE!!!!!!! 😍🙌😎

https://www.funko.com/blog/article/2019-sdcc-exclusive-reveals-scott-pilgrim 

vegan-fondo.jpg

39964_ScottPilgrim_VeganPolice_2PK_POP_G

Now, the chance of getting one of these is gonna be limited. But it's still SO EXCITING to see TJ become a POP! Vinyl figurel!! & I hope he'll get one! 😃

Brilliant!

Oh my God!  They’re brilliant!!! 😂

1 hour ago, Rosella said:

Behold...2019 SDCC EXCLUSIVE POP! VINYLS: THE VEGAN POLICE!!!!!!! 

Hey Rosella, you're at SDCC?

Geoff, any chance TJ attends now that he has "free time" written on his schedule? Or maybe he'll work on Lycan during the coming days? 

Thomas is still off line currently so haven't spoken with him so I'm honestly not sure. With schedules changing anything is possible at the minute. 

23 hours ago, Geoff said:

Brilliant!

I know, right!? It took them long enough. 😄

23 hours ago, Gail Bentley said:

Oh my God!  They’re brilliant!!! 😂

They make me smile, that's for sure. 😃 I love that they come as a pair. I just wish that they weren't an SDCC Exclusive. 

22 hours ago, Enaira said:

Hey Rosella, you're at SDCC?

Geoff, any chance TJ attends now that he has "free time" written on his schedule? Or maybe he'll work on Lycan during the coming days? 

I wish!! That's the mother of all cons. 😁