Sign in to follow this  
Mike V

Inception

This movie was really, really, really good. Dare I say great. I'd say it's the best of the year so far (then again it's been kind of a shit year). But Nolan knocked it out of the park, and I was pleasantly surprised that he seemed to have learned how to shoot a fight scene. I was worried that the fight scenes in zero G were going to be incomprehensible like the fights from the Batman films, but thankfully you can actually see what the hell is going on.

It's been getting great reviews from what I've seen. I like the cast of it too. I wonder if it ever crossed Nolan's mind to recast Joker with Gordon Levitt, since he and Heath look somewhat similar. It won't happen, but whatever.

I can't wait to see this one.

Tom Hardy was the standout for me in this. He's one of those actors that can change with each role, hopefully he'll hit really big after the Mad Max films.

Also, it's great to see Dileep Rao popping up in these big movies, after Drag Me to Hell (which he was great in).

At the risk of upsetting the Nolanphiles... I only thought it was good. Well directed. Well acted (with the exception of 3rd Rock from the Sun kid). For the most part visually very impressive (there were some rather unconvincing composites in the Paris dream like the exploding cobble-stone for instance.) I just felt like it was trying way to hard to be a Philip K. Dick style story college students can argue long hours into the night over.

*semi-spoiler follows.*

I mean during the final shot of the spinning top I half imagined hearing Gaff saying "Too bad she won't live! But then again who does?"

Guest AdminGuyX

Andy and I saw this over the weekend, and we both walked out thinking "Well . . . I didn't hate it. Didn't love it." But I did like it.

It tried very hard to be a complicated caper film with a heart, and it just ends up being kind of a predictable studio action movie full of characters with no background. For me, I would say the film was good. I'll watch it again on cable and see if I missed anything significant in the story or a meaningful visual metaphor, I don't feel I did. Maybe because of the hype I was expecting to be extremely challenged on an intellectual level. The end was, well . . . you see it coming.

However you take the ending, which I thought was a bit of a let down, the film toys around with compelling subject matter and has some really great visuals and interesting ideas presented. But, that's really all it does. It presents the ideas and gives you the rules, and then everything works exactly as it's described and you never go farther than what is explained. It had some elements of the story repeat, over and over, needlessly IMHO. It had some needless action scenes, and at one point it felt like I was flipping back and forth between 3 different movies with the same actors, and that should of blown my mind. It didn't though, but I was entertained.

It had a few cool props in it, and the performances were the reason to watch the movie. I thought they were all pretty good. It was one of the better films I've seen this year, and I am happy to see it successful. It's the kind of movie I want to see more of made. It was interesting to watch Tom Hardy knowing he's going to be Max. In a good way. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the role.

I thought Michael Caine was entirely wasted in what is basically a cameo.

:)

Andy and I saw this over the weekend, and we both walked out thinking "Well . . . I didn't hate it. Didn't love it." But I did like it.

It tried very hard to be a complicated caper film with a heart, and it just ends up being kind of a predictable studio action movie full of characters with no background. For me, I would say the film was good. I'll watch it again on cable and see if I missed anything significant in the story or a meaningful visual metaphor, I don't feel I did. Maybe because of the hype I was expecting to be extremely challenged on an intellectual level. The end was, well . . . you see it coming.

However you take the ending, which I thought was a bit of a let down, the film toys around with compelling subject matter and has some really great visuals and interesting ideas presented. But, that's really all it does. It presents the ideas and gives you the rules, and then everything works exactly as it's described and you never go farther than what is explained. It had some elements of the story repeat, over and over, needlessly IMHO. It had some needless action scenes, and at one point it felt like I was flipping back and forth between 3 different movies with the same actors, and that should of blown my mind. It didn't though, but I was entertained.

It had a few cool props in it, and the performances were the reason to watch the movie. I thought they were all pretty good. It was one of the better films I've seen this year, and I am happy to see it successful. It's the kind of movie I want to see more of made. It was interesting to watch Tom Hardy knowing he's going to be Max. In a good way. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the role.

Well, I almost went and saw this movie this weekend---glad I didn't---I'll wait until it comes out on DVD...

Instead, I went and saw Dinner for Schmucks! It was pretty funny! Love Steve Carrell...

Well put Noeland. I have not really given this movie any thought since we viewed it...which is very rare for me. I normally mull over movies, liked,loved or hated for a couple of weeks...this one? Nothing...not sure that means anything...I really didn't like the ending though...stupid. I think Aly had it right, we should have seen dinner for schmucks.

The end was, well . . . you see it coming.

However you take the ending, which I thought was a bit of a let down, the film toys around with compelling subject matter and has some really great visuals and interesting ideas presented. But, that's really all it does. It presents the ideas and gives you the rules, and then everything works exactly as it's described...

If you haven't seen it... we're entering into spoiler territory here... so like uhm turn back now.

Right here are the two issues that really ruined the experience for me. First the ending is a cheap hollywood cookie cutter cop-out. On that final cut to black someone in the audience in the theatre I was in actually screamed "ASSHOLES!". I laughed... because inside I was screaming too. That ending is a forced, gimmicky, deliberately wanna-be-philip-k-dick-o-my-god-is-decker-a-replicant hack move.

As to the "rules" I wish it HAD obeyed its own laws. I'd have been able to stay willingly in suspension of disbelief longer. But when the van rolled and didn't kick them out... well I was kicked out of the experience at that point. I stopped buying the story.

What's more... what's the big deal about limbo if all you have to do to get out of limbo is shoot yourself in the head?

Well, I almost went and saw this movie this weekend---glad I didn't---I'll wait until it comes out on DVD...

Instead, I went and saw Dinner for Schmucks! It was pretty funny! Love Steve Carrell...

I couldn't bring myself to watch this movie. Why? DiCaprio. Not a fan of him. Since it's a very long movie, well.....I don't know if I could take that much of the guy.

I'm with Aly.

Saw Dinner For Schmucks. Loved it! I laughed even during the opening credits sequence. Plus, Steve Carell's look will make you laugh. :lol:

As to the "rules" I wish it HAD obeyed its own laws. I'd have been able to stay willingly in suspension of disbelief longer. But when the van rolled and didn't kick them out... well I was kicked out of the experience at that point. I stopped buying the story.

I thought it didn't kick them because they needed a kick in the real world and in the dream - timed with the music. Or in the case of layered dreams a kick in each dream world - so at the end it went snow base explosion > elevator fall > van in the water > (wait for sedative to wear off) wake.

I thought it didn't kick them because they needed a kick in the real world and in the dream - timed with the music. Or in the case of layered dreams a kick in each dream world - so at the end it went snow base explosion > elevator fall > van in the water > (wait for sedative to wear off) wake.

OK. But Arthur is only one dream deep. There's nothing to synchronize for him. The van or hitting the railing should have pulled him out.

OK. But Arthur is only one dream deep. There's nothing to synchronize for him. The van or hitting the railing should have pulled him out.

No, he's two levels deep: plane > van > hotel. So he would need a kick on his level as well as the van crashing to jolt him out.

No, he's two levels deep: plane > van > hotel. So he would need a kick on his level as well as the van crashing to jolt him out.

OK. The judges will allow it.

OK. The judges will allow it.

Well, after sitting through the whole annoying thing...I WANTED to kick him.

Hubby & I saw this last night @ the $3 theater.

1) I did not participate in any of the pre-release hype so I didn't know a thing walking into the theater. (Yes, I willingly live under a rock. No cable & the TV is an instrument to view DVDs, I believe in Hulu & streaming Netflix. We see 2-5 films a year so we're not inundated w/ trailers. This forum is how I hear about what films to see.)

2) I was totally aware that I was watching a film, so no suspension of disbelief, no immersion. It was an enjoyable puzzle developing in front of me while I munched on popcorn.

3) I'm not a big DiCaprio fan, he'll always be Arnie Grape to me. By chance, the last movie we saw was Shutter Island, so I felt that DiCaprio was just playing a variation on a theme - well executed but familiar nonetheless.

4) It was a total Philip Dick rip-off. And yes, Lord Dubu, I felt the same "o-my-god-is-decker-a-replicant" vibe. But it was FUN.

5) Tom Hardy is HAWT. So excited that he's the new Mad Max! I loved him in RocknRolla but he is now the uber-hottie of my dreams. I went directly home & watched his Heathcliff in a BBC remake of Wuthering Heights. I'm still in love w/ my husband & TJ is smokin', but if Tom Hardy knocked on my door, well....let's just say I could not be held responsible for my actions. :lol:

3) I'm not a big DiCaprio fan, he'll always be Arnie Grape to me.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. :lol:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. :lol:

HA! Several of my friends f/ college worked on that film, it was their 2nd gig after Last of the Mohicans. I saw it just to see the scenery they created (EVERY tree in that film was brought in, friend of mine put on every leaf!!). So when DiCaprio came on, I actually thought he was a disabled actor - not the other way around!!

HA! Several of my friends f/ college worked on that film, it was their 2nd gig after Last of the Mohicans. I saw it just to see the scenery they created (EVERY tree in that film was brought in, friend of mine put on every leaf!!). So when DiCaprio came on, I actually thought he was a disabled actor - not the other way around!!

That's really cool about knowing people who worked on that film. :)

As for your mistaking Dicaprio for truly being a disabled actor----Don't worry. The jury is still out on that one. ;) (crude thing to say, I know)