Sign in to follow this  
Rosella

Still Worth Watching?

Steve Carell stated that the next season of The Office will be his last. He believes the show has a future after Michael Scott. This is similar to what Charlie Sheen had declared when he almost didn't sign on to continue Two and a Half Men. But thankfully, he'll return. Hopefully. I also remember Kiefer Sutherland had the same views about 24. He said that the show could still work without Jack Bauer. But do you agree with these guys?

Think of your favorite TV show. Would you still want to watch it without the main character? Or would the show no longer be worth watching?

I don't think The Office will be any good without Michael Scott. And I doubt it will survive without him either. He's the center of the whole show. Yea, the other characters are funny but without Michael's stupid antics, they have nothing. The last few episodes of the last season were mainly about Jim and Pam---they should've just called it The Jim & Pam show. LOL

I feel the same way, Aly!

When I watch the show, sure I enjoy all of the characters. Each one has his or her moments. But I watch the show to see what Michael Scott is going to do. See how he'll react to the situation. When he's not on the screen, I'm waiting for him to appear.

The Office is one of my favs, and I hate that they're doing this to the show. I think it's a very bad move. Ratings will go down, and the show will most likely get cancelled. Worst of all, the show will turn into Scrubs, and it won't have a proper series finale.

Now, the only smart move would be to bring in Ricky Gervais. I would watch it and love it. I don't know if anyone on here has seen the British Office, but that show is hilarious. But if they don't do that, I don't see the point of continuing any further.

Steve Carell stated that the next season of The Office will be his last. He believes the show has a future after Michael Scott. This is similar to what Charlie Sheen had declared when he almost didn't sign on to continue Two and a Half Men. But thankfully, he'll return. Hopefully. I also remember Kiefer Sutherland had the same views about 24. He said that the show could still work without Jack Bauer. But do you agree with these guys?

Think of your favorite TV show. Would you still want to watch it without the main character? Or would the show no longer be worth watching?

I don't watch The Office so I can't really say but I was as big a 24 fan as you could get and don't think the show would have survived without Jack as the lead. It did have some great supporting characters but he was always at the centre driving the show forward. I think it would be the same thing with Two and a Half Men if Sheen left. Its all about the interplay between the brothers and if he left who would you replace him with?

I don't watch The Office so I can't really say but I was as big a 24 fan as you could get and don't think the show would have survived without Jack as the lead. It did have some great supporting characters but he was always at the centre driving the show forward. I think it would be the same thing with Two and a Half Men if Sheen left. Its all about the interplay between the brothers and if he left who would you replace him with?

Hey, I'm glad to hear you love 24. I wouldn't have watched 24 if it hadn't have been for Kiefer's Jack Bauer. It's a great show. Don't get me wrong. I love the fight scenes and action, but I am huge Sutherland fan. He's the reason I'm looking forward to the 24 movie.

I don't think Sheen could be replaced on Two and a Half Men. Never. I think he should've only agreed to do one more season, though. That way, fans get to have a planned series finale, and then he could go on to do more movies. But now that he may go to jail, I don't know what's going to happen to the show. Obviously, production will be on hold. I hope the show doesn't get cancelled. That would suck.

The Office is bringing in some great actors in the season finale on May 19th, including Ray Romano, Will Arnett, James Spader, and Ricky Gervais. Very excited to see this! Yes, I really miss Michael Scott. Will Ferrell's episodes were funny. So, who knows? Maybe this show can last without Steve. Maybe.

But......Charlie Sheen's departure of Two And A Half Men is heartbreaking. & now that Ashton Kutcher is joining, may join, or has already joined the show, I may cry. :( First off, not a fan of Kutcher's. He's one of those try-to-be-funny types. Usually, don't hope for a show to get axed, especially one of my favorites. But you better believe I'm hoping this idea backfires & gets 'em canceled. The show should've gone off after losing Sheen. They should've allowed Sheen to finish the 8th season & have a series finale. But no...they gotta lose the star & bring in someone who doesn't fit. Coulda, woulda, shoulda, they didn't.

I guess this couldn't hurt Kutcher's career. Personally he does nothing for me. Neither did Sheen though.

Does anyone know if Kutcher is going to be playing Charlie and its a direct swap or is it another character entirely?

Does anyone know if Kutcher is going to be playing Charlie and its a direct swap or is it another character entirely?

Kutcher will be playing another character. It would be weird if he was to say he's Charlie Harper.

Here's something funny to check out- Jimmy Fallon's Sheen'd: http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/bl...-charlie-sheen/

*SPOILER ALERT*: I share many details about the premiere of the “new season” & get pretty mean. Enjoy! ;)

Well, I watched the season premiere of Two and a half Men last night. Charlie Sheen can support it (though, I think he’s only acting sincere about the situation) all he wants, but I didn’t enjoy it. The funeral of Sheen’s Charlie Harper was in poor taste and is very disrespectful to loyal fans who have been tuning in for the past 8 seasons. A loved one dies and all you can do is make jokes? How is that realistic at all? Every time it seemed like a character was being sweetly sentimental about the loss, a wisecrack had to follow. I should’ve known dignity would be thrown out the window by a man who reveals his feelings and opinions through his vanity cards.

Surprisingly, my favorite part of the episode is John Stamos (never thought I’d say that); he actually made me laugh; his remark was crude but funny, which was a past signature of the show. :lol: At the funeral and during the moment Alan’s (Jon Cryer) holding the urn, I go back and forth between shedding tears and rolling my eyes; they leave little room to mourn. Though, I almost bawled my eyes out just for the fact of reminiscing of my favorite character Charlie and knowing that his end happened as a result of taking things personally.

My least favorite moment is when Alan flings Charlie’s “ashes” into the air b/c of Ashton Kutcher’s Walden’s arrival, which is the worst introduction to a new character I’ve ever seen. Right from the start, I’m against him b/c he just walked through the show’s 8 year-long anchor’s ashes. :angry: He never says anything funny. Not even remotely. But that silly audience laughs (on cue, duh) like he’s Mr. Hilarious 24/7. His entrance is random and his decision to buy the house in the first episode makes no sense whatsoever.

Okay. So Kutcher’s playing Walden, a rich man who’s good at getting ladies but isn’t smart enough to realize it (so much irony when he says he’s ‘smart‘). And unlucky in love Alan is going to be his wingman. THAT’S the new direction of this show? :blink: Cryer and Kutcher have zero chemistry; this arrangement isn’t going to work. Send in the life rafts, folks! This ship is sinking!

When I saw & heard Ashton speak, I cringed. I really did. I couldn’t wait for the episode to end. I kept thinking, “This is what they had that annoying, constantly, reminding countdown for?”. :unsure: I didn’t care for Kutcher walking around naked. Twice. His “nudity” was completely pointless and unimpressive; it was such a low for them. Kutcher’s acting was so bad and his lines were so unfunny that I’m convinced Chuck Lorre’s plan is for this show to fail. I honestly believe he wants out and his best way to do so is getting the worst actor possible (terrible casting decision). <_<

There wouldn’t be a mess had they let me make the decision. ;) I would’ve signed Charlie on for ONE more season when he was debating the renewal of his contract. That way, the 8th season would be the FINAL (it is for me). My perfect ending for the series would be Alan moves out for good and becomes neighbors w/ Herb & Judith; Jake graduates High School and journeys on a road trip; Charlie and Rose get married in the final episode (and he doesn’t cheat on her, another disappointing announcement they didn’t have to include). This way everyone’s happily moving on in their lives and I can move on, as well. B)

Yes, I understand this is only a TV show. But it was my TV show; I always considered it my favorite. No one will ever be able to comprehend how much this show meant to me. Well, now I can only say there are 8 seasons of laughter and my series will never really be complete. :(

If you saw the show, I’d love to read your thoughts. Or if you have an opinion for anything I addressed or any other related topics, please don’t hesitate to share.

I won’t be watching this new version. With Charlie Harper dead and Jake mostly absent, an odd way to set up a sitcom, the show became One Man pretty quickly. They really must change the title of the show to something else. I don’t like the name Two and a half Men being associated with this “spin-off.” I don’t know how any true Two and a half Men fan can watch this show weekly. For as long as Charlie Harper’s deceased, this show is dead to me. :(

Guest AdminGuyX

I watched it. The only scene I laughed hysterically at was when he threw the ashes in the air. Not because of that, but because of his little yelp. It was just hysterical. Ashton Kutcher is not an actor I pay much attention to, but neither was Sheen, to be honest. But, that said, I thought it was a strange way to intro his character. But the scenes was very much saying "We're throwing Charlie out, and bringing Ashton in" in more ways than one.

I'm not sure criticizing it for not being realistic is fair. Has the show ever been realistic? The episodes I've seen have always been over the top and bawdy, and that funeral seemed to fit right in to me. But you mind that they killed Charlie off. I don't. That's your sticking point, so to keep watching is only going to bother you unless you can let that go.

Sheen has very different timing than Kutcher, and comedy is all about timing. Different people like different kinds of comedic timing. I prefer sarcasm. The darker, the more pointed, the better for me. But, the show isn't going to be the same with Kutcher in the lead. Not only because he has a different style about him, but because the producers and the writers need to move on too.

I can tell you take the show very personally. Maybe a little too personal? I'm not getting down on you, I've done it myself. (Example: When I found out that they killed off Hicks and Newt for alien 3. I still shake my head over that one. But t the time, I was livid.) If this is your favorite show, and Charlie was your favorite character, then yes, the show is over for you.

The opening funeral was, in my mind, the writers and producers letting lose and having some catharsis. Which they probably deserve. Working with Sheen has to suck. They let real life bleed into the show. It's inescapable when you work with a person like Sheen. Even weekend warrior drug users can be a real handful, and make the best work environment toxic. So I hope they can enjoy a better work environment for at least a little while. I'm just glad all those people didn't lose their jobs because of Sheen.

Even though the first episode broke some records, I think that rating was just curiosity. I don't imagine the show will last past this season.

There was no way he was going to be hired back. Imagine yourself running a show, and your lead actor is trying to kill hookers, he's driving cars into rivers, and locking himself in hotel rooms with buckets full of crack and blow. That shit gets old. BUT, that's not the same as going on TV and talking shit about you. Had Charlie Sheen gone on TV and disparaged you, you would not want him back either. And really, no one else would. He put several other jobs in danger by causing the network to seriously consider canceling the show.. A sitcom employees lots and lots of folks, and had the network decided to ax it, it would have been Sheen's fault.

All that aside though, they need to keep something in mind. "That 70's Show" is on a million stations and it shows every single day. Some stations show a 2 hour block of it. He had a few moment in the show where I saw Kelso in his performance. That is the kind of thing I'd be worried about if I was them. I'd of written the character to be so far removed from Kelso that it would offer some comedic range, and I'd of pushed him to make his performance reflect that as much as possible.

Two and a Half Men is a shitty sitcom, so I don't think it was worth watching in the first place.

Two and a Half Men is shitty sitcom, so I don't think it was worth watching in the first place.

I'll second that.

Personal? Oh, yeah. ;)

Charlie Sheen is one of my favorite actors. I love the guy. Yes, Charlie has lead a wild life. His reputation is that of his being Hollywood’s Bad Boy. Everyone knows that. The character Charlie Harper was based on his life. Favorite character? You bet. He’s the reason I watched every episode and bought every season.

Realism? It's TV, so not exactly. But ever watch the show Scrubs (another show that didn't end properly)? As ridiculous as that show's episodes could get, they made death real.

They really didn’t have to kill him. They already had a fake funeral for him in an episode guest-starring Charlie’s brother Emilio Estevez. So by having this funeral, they pretty much repeated themselves only without the humor. Why couldn’t they have left it that he was away? That way, they could make funny remarks about what he’s been doing. But this is Chuck Lorre’s reaction: Let’s not just take it out on our star; let’s punish the fans who became invested in the character.

A lot of people don’t like Two and a half Men. You either love it or you hate it, I guess. But no one can deny that it’s lasted so long thanks to Charlie. I wasn’t surprised by the high ratings for the premiere. I also won’t be surprised when the ratings drop (they will). This is the definitely the beginning of the end. Two seasons w/ Ashton? I don’t see it happening.

As for Sheen criticizing me, he wouldn’t. We’d get along just swell. I’m passionate but not difficult. B)

I can't call myself a fan of the show. I mostly watch an occasional repeat on FX. But it always made me laugh, and occasionally cring. I did watch the season premiere out of curiosity. I would have watched again last night, except I had to be somewhere. Kutcher is okay, but he isn't a draw for me. I just wanted to see how they would handle the transition.

If Charlie was going to die in Paris, I would have expected him to have gotten twisted up with some French chick during tantric sex and losing his balance while on the Eiffel tower. So, I thought the way he died was rather unimaginative. But I thought the funeral was pretty realistic. If you're going to sleep around with dozens and dozens of women, you'rte going to start passing around, herpes and genital warts and clamydia, etc. And his Mom acted in a way consistent with her character. It is a sitcom after all.

Charlie ending up in a dustbuster seemed apropos. And Alan was doing what he's always done - helping someone out and ending up with the short end of the stick, as usual.

I think it's interesting that Charlie Sheen once replaced Michael J. Fox in a sitcom, and now Charlie is being replaced by Ashton Kutcher in a sitcom. Very different circumstances, though.

It’s Alan’s reactions that bothered me the most. He should’ve been more affected by his only brother’s death.

The ratings have already dropped. The only way they have a chance is to get guest stars. Lots & lots of guest stars.

Yup. It’s true. When Sheen replaced Fox on Spin City, it was such a different situation. Luckily, Fox got to return to his series. The show only lasted 2 more seasons w/ Sheen in charge.

I watched the season premiere of The Office and enjoyed it. And last night’s episode was pretty great, as well. :lol: James Spader is such a wonderful actor; his character Robert California is so alluring. I’m happy that Ed Helms is the new manager. However, I really do miss Steve Carell. A lot. His absence is definitely felt. It helps that it was his decision, so things don’t have to be awkward for the cast. I’m sure we haven't seen the last of Michael Scott.

QUOTE (Mike V @ Sep 21 2011, 02:13 AM)

Two and a Half Men is shitty sitcom, so I don't think it was worth watching in the first place.

I'll second that.

I'll third that was never a big fan of charlie sheens acting.

I liked Charlie Sheen in Ferris Bueller's Day Off...and that may be it. :lol: Oh, maybe a bit in Lucas, and Navy Seals...oh, no wait; I liked Michael Biehn in that one...

Jen