Sign in to follow this  
-=Sci=-

The Mel Gibson tapes

I refuse to listen to that. I don't think it's right what was said, provoked or not, but Mel's worth watching without letting something like that enter my head everytime I watch Mad Max. Unfortunatly, it probably did kill is career.

If someone could get work in the film industry only if they were a practically perfect person, there would not be anything in the theaters to see. Considering the news cycle, we'll be hearing about someone else's private problems being aired in public sooner rather than later.

Mel can have a long career behind the camera.

I refuse to listen to that. I don't think it's right what was said, provoked or not, but Mel's worth watching without letting something like that enter my head everytime I watch Mad Max. Unfortunatly, it probably did kill is career.

It's kinda hilarious actually. I mean it's fucked up, but just how over the top it is and some of the shit he's saying is ridiculous.

It's kinda hilarious actually. I mean it's fucked up, but just how over the top it is and some of the shit he's saying is ridiculous.

YES! Like he's playing a role, but sadly he isn't. And it's too late for Mel to use the Andy Kaufman defense...

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, it won't bother me to still watch his films. But I tend to think of celebs as people, flawed and fucked up just like the rest of us. They just have to live it out in public some times. Which is tragic in it's own way.

I'll still be able to watch Lethal Weapon and The Road Warrior with no problem.

I've never spoken to another human being in the ways he speaks to this woman, even in my deepest darkest moments of rage. On a personal level, I find it incredibly demented, and very wrong. I don't care what she did to him. I mean he gets so enraged he runs out of breath. If you do listen to them Jweb, you'd get more from listening to the unedited stuff on radar online then you ever will listening to bits and pieces on the news that's bleeped out. But I have a feeling you're a smart enough guy to read between the lines and separate art from artist.

There is a lot more than just the quotes going on here, and a lot more than just Mel being a psychopath. Mel is pretty clearly sick and does need to seek out help, but that's not the whole story by a sight.

I think I'll end up moving this discussion into it's own thread guys, I want to keep it separate from Fury Road.

If someone could get work in the film industry only if they were a practically perfect person, there would not be anything in the theaters to see. Considering the news cycle, we'll be hearing about someone else's private problems being aired in public sooner rather than later.

Mel can have a long career behind the camera.

Well, lets be honest though, there is a difference between being not perfect, and threatening to kill someone after you have physically and verbally assaulted them. Granted, I agree that this kind of stuff is none of our business, but it's public now and we all have a right to log an opinion in our own small way.

I've often said that when you watch a film, and buy DVD's you are supporting all the bad habits of everyone who worked on the film, from the grip to the lead actors, you're probably supporting activities you would not want to be involved in yourself. But, this is true all over. You buy a car, how many of the people involved are wife beaters, convicted felons, and pedophiles?

Heck, your favorite diner probably has one of those three people working as a line cook.

At this point, I think Mel will have a tough road no matter what he chooses. He was already under criminal investigation for abuse, long before these tapes came out. I know a lot of people have said she set him up, and that she's trying to look like an angel, but what was she supposed to do? You're from another country, you marry Mel Gibson, he starts kicking the crap out of you, and acting like a psycho. You think people will believe you? You know they won't. The best way to prove your case is to record the behavior.

Should it have gone public? I don't think so. I think it should have been heard by lawyers and a judge, and even a jury only.

Yeah, I can separate the art and the artist. I'm just at a point now where I figure this kind of stuff has been going on for a long time now (they are human). I've hear plenty of stories about Sinatra's temper, the only diffrence is that Frank had the benefit of not having the internet around.

The only time something like this has ever hindered my watching something was Christian Bales' rant, only because I sat through the whole film and could not find a scene he was in that was so emotionally taxing that he flew off the handle like he did.