sidewaysgaze

I Melt With You

Ahhhh come on guys I havent seen it yet!

Geoff. Your a good man but stop reading this thread until after you see the movie!

The Art for the film over there is ...disturbing. To me.

To Me, I Melt With You is a LOVE story. Not what we always think of when we see that term but really something deeper.

So is there hope after 40? Who are the role models?

I think, yes, of course there's hope after 40. I'm having a good time despite working my ass off at a job I hate and also working towards opening another school of my own and I still write.

I work the job because I have to feed my kids and provide them a good life.

I work at teaching and writing because they call to me. I can't stop myself. When I have been tired and frustrated I have considered and tried quitting one or both but they wake me in the night and scream back at me from mirrors.

I reject the programming of where we are supposed to be when. The program didnt make me take wrong turns. I took wrong turns that brought me here and but really what's wrong with here?

From here I get to see my son speak three different languages before he's 15. I get to see him play trumpet and guitar and kick ass in Krav Maga.

I get to see my daughter win the Presidents Award of Excellence in both Academics and Athletics. I get to see her fall in love with art and animation and create both non-stop during this summer vacation. Every day I come home and there's more drawings, an apple, a glass, a horse or a lion and on top of that at 12 years old she still comes and hugs and kiss' me when I walk through the door.

This is where I'm supposed to be.

Role Models are the enemy. The Programming tells us we need role models. It's an impossible task. To become someone else.

I saw Robert Plant when I was in High School. I was a singer in a band. I thought he was amazing. I had PIN straight hair and asked my Mom to give me a perm. I looked like a freakin poodle. A light went on. I could NEVER be Robert Plant.

Or Rambo. Or Bruce Lee. Or The Punisher, Jim Morrison, Hemingway, Bukowski, etc.

I need to be my own Role Model.

Esco - I didn't necessarily love the movie but I loved your post. Thank you for those thoughts, especially the last sentence - embracing it, indeed.

You are right, the hopeful ending is my own. I suppose if it wasn't so dark I wouldn't look for that tiny ray of hope. I knew he couldn't survive once he killed his friend, I just wished they all weren't so fucked up!

Doesn't it say something about the film that you look for that though? That you invested an iota of emotion that you truly, from the outside, almost wanted to shake them, to tell them to straighten up and fly right? That you wanted them to be less fucked up? It's almost heartbreaking watching the demise of people and having that feeling of not being able to do anything about it. I think it's that investment that lets you walk away from the film with the "make your own destiny better" mentality. That they were SO fucked up that it almost has an adverse effect on the viewer.

Hitchcock had said that he created movies about murder as a way to get it out of one's system. You watch so you don't have to do. I'm not likening this film to anything in the Hitchcock catalog, obviously, but that feeling of adverse effect for the viewer is certainly present.

This movie actually brought back some really rough times for me personally,Never was much for drugs but between 05 and 08 my group of closest friends really hung it out there with the partying,We'd just get together and get destroyed spend weeks on benders..I was hosptalized twice before we started to figure out that this was'nt "it"..I could see how in this type of environment with reality being completey distorted this could happen...Thank god we were strong enough too straighten up "Not an easy task"..i was really upset that richard did what he did in the end..

Doesn't it say something about the film that you look for that though? That you invested an iota of emotion that you truly, from the outside, almost wanted to shake them, to tell them to straighten up and fly right? That you wanted them to be less fucked up? It's almost heartbreaking watching the demise of people and having that feeling of not being able to do anything about it. I think it's that investment that lets you walk away from the film with the "make your own destiny better" mentality. That they were SO fucked up that it almost has an adverse effect on the viewer.

Hitchcock had said that he created movies about murder as a way to get it out of one's system. You watch so you don't have to do. I'm not likening this film to anything in the Hitchcock catalog, obviously, but that feeling of adverse effect for the viewer is certainly present.

I missed seeing your comment, but you are right, I was emotionally invested thus hoping for a happier ending. The movie stirred a lot of emotions like it was supposed to. I wanted to help these guys so wishing for a better outcome would have helped me.

I finally - finally saw the bitter end of this film!! I had seen almost the whole film months ago, but I missed the very last crucial minute of it. Now I've seen it and I'm crushed... :(

Anyway, I think it's running on Showtime and has been starting this month, so if you get that service, you can see the film! :D Just be prepared to be crushed... Emotionally, that is. :blink:

Jen

i love this film...but i have one simple question. when thomas jane is on te phone in the beginning of the film and he meows afew times...was that in the script? and if it wasn't why a meow? guess i want to know cos according to people i know say i have an bad habit of making a high pitch meow sound out of the blue?(yeah i do it at times just to piss them off) oh, and just some trivia i found out last year... mozart did the same thing.the reason i found that interesting is...we share the same birth date.what does that mean...nothing i'm bored! so if anyone can answer my question...cheers

well I finally watched it last night (we are really slow here in the UK), AND WOW what a fucked up masterpiece! I dont know how else to describe it to anyone. When it ended I was silent! (kind of how I was at the end of The Mist) just silent, still taking everything in! music, acting, writing, direction, colours, everything was off the hook and TJ you were fucking inspiring mate! great performance.

Ive never seen this film I dont think its ever been shown on tv. Which is a shame. But I have read up about it. And from what Ive read it looks really good. ?

Its widely available on dvd from Amazon. We dont get a lot of TJ's films but there are few shown on Netflix and we get a fair few on Sky.

However this is one to definitely invest on a dvd purchase.

Image result for i melt with you special screening thomas jane rob lowe jeremy piven

This picture just cracks me up....Haven't seen it for years.

I can just hear what Rob is saying...

"So there I am with a needle in my vein but, but , you, you.....you have this guy shove a pillow over your face ya pansy"

Punk aint dead......

c5516326a031f26116849705491d10e9--thomas-jane-anime-manga.jpg

53 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Punk aint dead......

c5516326a031f26116849705491d10e9--thomas-jane-anime-manga.jpg

Punk will never die!!!!!

The picture makes me happy. 

melt-with-you-piven-lowe_320.jpg

20 minutes ago, Geoff said:

The picture makes me happy. 

melt-with-you-piven-lowe_320.jpg

Me too!  😁