sidewaysgaze

I Melt With You

I never pay much attention to this stuff, Noeland is the guy in the family who loves digging into films and disecting them frame by frame. I'm just an actor and dopey fan boy, just enjoying what is put in front of me by a whole lot of hard working people...so, imagine my suprise when it finally dawned on me that the Mark Pellington I had the great enjoyment of working with on Kid Rocks CARE video (not yet released) is the one and same Mark Pellington who directed I MELT WITH YOU. He was a blast to be around. The weather was brutal the day we shot, 35 degrees and raining, we had mud everywhere, but Mark kept everyone focused and on the task at hand, and he did it with great humor and caring. Like I said, I don't pay much attention to all the details of a movie, I just watch the god damned movie...so the whole time we are shooting the video... I didn't even know he was the guy who did the freeking awesome ARLINGTON ROAD (Love that flick!)I'm twice as much looking forward to seeing this film now. Damn but I'd love to work with a director like that on a real set someday. Can't wait to catch this film.

Here's some of the stuff I worked up with Pellington and Rob Cowan for Marketing.

None of this was used with the exception of the jacket design for Richard (TJ) LeClaire's first novel, Reel Around The Fountain -

Early concept design featuring "the note", with a flower/skull/cocaine motif I came up with. I like the simplicity of this, and I have to say I'm proud of the tag-line I came up with - The Flower Of Youth Wasted -

I really thought they might use that ;) This was meant to be more of a 'teaser', since we didn't have actual actor assets yet.

IMeltWithYouR1c.jpg

This was the next iteration of the one-sheet. The note is again part of this design, but now we've got some cool shots of the actors to work with.

I still like this one even though Mark decided to throw a big change-up and do a 180 on the concept with the landscape style "falling down the dunes' one-sheet.

No one liked the shot of Tom I picked for this one except me ;) It was the cigar in his face everyone had an issue with, so I find it ironic that the new posters feature Tom with a big cigar in his face. Hmmmm.

I was in the midst of changing the shot of Tom when Mark put the brakes on me and we went for the dunes concept.

IMeltWithYou11102011C.jpg

This was another 'landscape' style one-sheet design we played with. I really like this one, but ultimately the other dune shot won out.

MELTKEYTIFF300R1.jpg

And here's the book jacket design for Reel Around The Fountain. Tom called me up late one night and asked me if I could drop what I was doing and come to the rescue.

The book jacket they had was . . . well, it could have been better, so TJ advocated for me to come in and take a swipe at it.

I knocked it out in a marathon 5-6 hour session and did good enough to impress Pellington. It was after this that he recruited me for the poster stuff.

There is familiar imagery here for anyone who knows my Hellblazer #213 cover. I borrowed the right side of that cover for the boy imagery, and used the torn image motif as part of my composition.

Just having that 'pre-made' element to work with sped things along nicely and gave me a sweet platform with which to build the rest of the design around.

I thought of that Hellblazer cover almost immediately once I knew what the novel was all about, though wasn't entirely sure it would work until I got it placed in there and began to play with it.

MeltReelAroundTheFountainR2FLATsm.jpg

Hope you all dig this little look behind the curtain ;)

- TB

Just spoke to Mark and he sent me this little tidbit.

I'm planning on attending this screening, hopefully I'll drag HESS along since I don't think he's caught this yet.

This screening is not listed anywhere on the web yet so far as I can tell.

Folks in the LA area -

-2.jpg

HA! It just occurred to me that I'm not sure what theater this is.

Only info I have is that this screening is in/at Northridge . . .

Soon as I get the full intel I'll pass it along!

- tb

OK - Courtesy of Brian McQuery -

The Screening on December 2nd is at - California State University Northridge, the CSUN Cinematheque at the Armer Theater inside of Manzanita Hall. The theater only seats 130.

I don't see an address for the theater specifically, you'd probably have to get directions on campus. The school is:

California State University, Northridge at 18111 Nordhoff Street, Northridge, CA 91330

I'm sure parking is going to be for shit. Fucking campus . . . ;)

- tb

Thanks for the look, Tim. I wish there was a better shot of the book in the film. You hardly see it. Looks good though, way better than most jackets get, and I'm sure they get more than 6 hours to come up with them.

In the first two posters, I really dig what you did with the "pact". Simple, yet powerful.

Irish, that's story is sad and funny at the same time ;) Mark has some amazing music videos under his belt, you can check them out at his site: http://www.markpellington.com/

Even if it's an after thought, it's still cool to say you were directed by Mark Pellington.

Loving the posters!

This film is well worth watching again and again & have been because of this distracting crush I've had... on a house. I've been here before. This (also) 40-something house was first spotted on a flyby over the coast and was re-listed a few months ago. So, if any of you out there want to live here, it can be yours too. By the way, the California housing market is kind of like how dog years are to real time for everyone who thinks we're crazy, eccentric fools over here. The price has actually been reduced by 500K... :^]

Here's the listing:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-...3451?source=web

30u900n.jpg

23s6b1v.jpg

2hnwdpl.jpg

c58cz.jpg

2aig0oh.jpg

2d9zcw6.jpg

2v9sv9s.jpg

There's a heroin feel to the flick & the soundtrack reflected it with visuals and a pulse (No Gun Club, but Filter's 'Hey Man Nice Shot' has always been a favorite). Some details sparked smiles, like the Dorian Gray reference and the Maserati trident on the nape of Thomas' jacket (he drives this black Quattroporte... & I think that thing is slick as snot). It really was a great location for the theme that flows through this story. Big Sur is something of a wide open think tank. And yes, Big Sur is beautiful... hauntingly so.

It took a few reviews to get beyond the familiarity of the house, this & that, but each time something else gets noticed. The painting in storage of Point Sur (by little 'Winston Atherton') is pretty cool. It looks like a mouth from far away. The Maserati emblem isn't a logo after all (It's a cross). All of the alcohol bottle labels are turned, torn or blurred (except for the beer). Those at sea shots were one man's dedication to the 'Method'. Beer and boating (whew) & washing it down with... more beer = rinse and spin cycle (urg). How you've suffered for your art Thomas. The squid cleaning was surely the cherry on top there.

Each character seems to be a human having a personal experience rather than a person having a human experience. Lost in one's own head and the ego won't permit an easy exit without going through it face first. The long way around usually is just that and it's all right where it was left, waiting to be faced again. Big Sur is a hot spot for many who don't want to do that. Famous for suicides, part of the highway was altered to reduce speed by the drive off points. The Bixby Bridge is more famous for jumpers and someone's got to clean that mess up, but the Golden Gate bridge still has the highest number of suicides in the world.

Watching the film again without sound gave it a late 60's, early 70's flavor, but with crisper photography. Removing the soundtrack and imagining an older film score was an interesting experiment. The music clearly anchors it's intended target. Each time it's watched, it grows on me a little more & that's ingenious.

I may be skipping that screening announced above for an altogether different screening in the LA area . . .

Details are still coming together so I can't report on when and where yet, but it's coming up at the end of the month.

I'll keep folks posted right here, and also on my facebook page.

If it comes together there will be a Q&A after the screening with Mark Pellington and Tom, maybe others . . .

Fingers crossed this works out.

Stay tuned, LA area fuckers! ;)

- tb

Feb. 28th is the date for the DVD/Blu-Ray.

Thanks! Calendar is now marked! :)

Here's official news about the I Melt With You soundtrack:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LAKESHORE RECORDS TO RELEASE I MELT WITH YOU

Soundtrack Album Features Tracks By The Pixies, Bauhaus, Adam and the Ants

and Modern English

(November 14, 2011 – Los Angeles, CA) – Lakeshore Records will release the I Melt With You – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, available digitally on November 29th and in stores on December 20, 2011. The soundtrack features classic new wave, modern rock and punk tracks from artists including Bauhaus, The Pixies, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and an updated version of the eponymous track by Modern English.

Richard (Thomas Jane), Ron (Jeremy Piven), Tim (Christian McKay), and Jonathan (Rob Lowe) are friends from college who gather for a weekend each year to celebrate their friendship and catch up with each other. On the surface, they look like other men going through life: they have careers and families and responsibilities. But as with many people, there is more to them than meets the eye. As the weekend progresses, they go down the rabbit hole of excess. Fueled by sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll, their bacchanalian reunion drives them to an unexpected place where they are forced to confront themselves and the choices they’ve made.

Tracklisting

01. All Going Out Together - Big Dipper

02. Blue Thunder - Galaxie 500

03. Skyscraper - Julian Plenti

04. Hey Man, Nice Shot - Filter

05. Maggot Brain - Funkadelic

06. Do The Dog - The Specials

07. Just Like Honey - The Jesus and Mary Chain

08. Kundalini Express - Love And Rockets

09. Caribou – The Pixies

10. All We Ever Wanted Was Everything - Bauhaus

11. I Melt With You 2011 - Modern English

12. Dog Eat Dog - Adam and the Ants

13. The Lawn - Deep Six

14. Here - tomandandy

Magnolia Pictures presents I Melt With You on demand November 4th and in theaters December 9, 2011. I Melt With You – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack on Lakeshore Records will be released digitally on November 29th and in stores on December 20, 2011.

###

For more information contact: cinemediapromo@yahoo.com, or @cinemediapromo on Twitter

This should have been a 2 disk set. A lot of cool songs not on there. The one I dig the most that is missing is Defeatist by Cameras. It's the song that plays in the trailer.

This is tomorrow (Thursday) night in Hollywood, so those in the LA area be warned -

Free screening of I MELT WITH YOU - followed by a Q&A with screenwriter Glenn Porter and director Mark Pellington!!!

Where?

The Los Angeles Film School

6363 Sunset Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90028

Parking is free in the lot next to the theater on Ivar.

COME EARLY so you can get a seat!

This is the Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith, a very cool series of screenings with a big following.

You can check out the Q&A on iTunes, so I'm sure this will be posted soon.

Or you can download here as soon as it's posted - http://www.theqandapodcast.com/

Tom was all signed up to appear at the Q&A but they switched from Wednesday to Thursday at the last minute and now he cannot attend.

However, this will be a great opportunity to hear Mark Pellington and Glenn Porter talk about their film, in person!

I'll be there . . . Will you?

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Hey, sorry I missed the posters and book covers earlier. Those are damn nice. Love the skull flower! That should be on a shirt.

Wow, that was magnificent.

Cut I saw was 2hrs 20 minutes, wish I could have seen all of the Sundance cut with the first choice music cues. Mark talked a lot about that tonight . . .

I (or someone who catches it first), will be sure to post a link to Jeff's Q&A with Mark and screenwriter Glenn Porter when it goes up, very informative, especially as it was directed at the LA Film School crowd on hand.

Don't really want to spoil anything - Just see the movie.

I love Pellington's visual approach, it's evident even in that short that he and Jane did when they were trying to raise capital.

They shot the film on Canon 5D's (5 of them) in less than 2 weeks on a shooting budget of under $650,000.00 - That's a lot of movie for under a Million.

Mark reserved over a quarter of the budget to obtain rights to the music he knew had to be there.

I was telling Glenn after the show that I felt like I was seeing the film as I read the screenplay, it was very visual, one of the best screenplays I've ever read, seriously.

Mark and Glenn were very gracious after the Q&A and stuck around outside afterward answering questions from a gaggle of film students for about an hour.

My host, Mr. Brian McQuery and I hung out for a while and shot the bull with Glenn and Mark, and then sauntered over to our after-film haunt, Mel's Drive-In for a bite, and naturally our favorite server NATE was working again.

Nate takes very good care of us ;)

Awesome night that would normally be hard to top were I not headed back up tomorrow evening for dinner with (hold onto your hats), TJ, Darabont, Perlman, Edgar Wright, and Neil Marshall.

Neil's in town for a few days from the UK so we're gonna show him a good time ;)

Thanks Brian!!!

- TB

Wow, that was magnificent.

Cut I saw was 2hrs 20 minutes, wish I could have seen all of the Sundance cut with the first choice music cues. Mark talked a lot about that tonight . . .

I (or someone who catches it first), will be sure to post a link to Jeff's Q&A with Mark and screenwriter Glenn Porter when it goes up, very informative, especially as it was directed at the LA Film School crowd on hand.

Don't really want to spoil anything - Just see the movie.

I love Pellington's visual approach, it's evident even in that short that he and Jane did when they were trying to raise capital.

They shot the film on Canon 5D's (5 of them) in less than 2 weeks on a shooting budget of under $650,000.00 - That's a lot of movie for under a Million.

Mark reserved over a quarter of the budget to obtain rights to the music he knew had to be there.

I was telling Glenn after the show that I felt like I'd seen the film as I read the screenplay, it was very visual, one of the best screenplays I've ever read, seriously.

Mark and Glenn were very gracious after the Q&A a stuck around outside afterward answering questions from a gaggle of film students for about an hour.

My host, Mr. Brian McQuery and I hung out for a while and shot the bull with Glenn and Mark, and then sauntered over to our after-film haunt, Mel's Drive-In for a bite, and naturally our favorite server NATE was working again.

Nate takes very good care of us ;)

Awesome night that would normally be hard to top were I not headed back up tomorrow evening for dinner with (hold onto your hats), TJ, Darabont, Perlman, Edgar Wright, and Neil Marshall.

Neil's in town for a few days from the UK so we're gonna show him a good time ;)

Thanks Brian!!!

- TB

Two hours and twenty minutes? Was this an extended cut or something closer to the Sundance version? The version I saw at the AFI premiere was around two hours I think.

That dinner sounds awesome!

I ordered this off on demand the day it went up.

After hearing Tom and Mark's interveiw on JoBlo I didnt know what to think and kind of held off until I had a chance to watch it alone. With two kids in the house it was tricky. I watched it tonight. And all I can say is thank you. Blown away on multiple levels.

Right ON!

I love how Pellington comments/defends his film on the negative press Melt was getting out of Sundance . . .

Apparently the crowd was not into a dark film like this. I don't totally understand the love it or hate it reaction . . . Even so, reactions on both sides are strong, and to me that's pretty fucking validating.

Mark's response is right on the money, so I hope you all get to check out the podcast when it's up. Should be soon.

- TB

The film is deffinatly dark, and does have a cutting edge to it, but a lot of films to come out of Sundance in the past have to same feel to it. I don't get the "love it or hate it" either, but I guess it's good to get that kind of reaction, becuase if you hated it, it's most likey that it got under your skin a bit and made you uncomfortable, which in that case, Mark and the crew did their job.

I always thought Sundance was a haven for indie films, but in recent years, some commerical fair has been making it's way in. Maybe the walkouts were part of people expecting a "safe" film. I just wish I could have been there the other night to shake Mark's hand and tell him thanks for making something that made me have an emotional reaction and still has me thinking about it, several weeks after the fact.

I think Tim's wrong on the running time. I think it was about 2 hours. I think the Sundance cut was closer to 2:20.

It's inspiring, and I told Mark Pellington this, that he essentially willed this film into being. Jeff Goldsmith's Q&A was about 100 minutes and was really interesting. But see the film before you listen because it's full of spoilers.

I love that Pellington is interested in telling stories he's passionate about and wants to continue to do so at low budgets like this. Just because you've made big budget Hollywood films doesn't mean that's all you have to make.

Great time as always hanging out with Mr. Bradstreet. Very jealous of his dinner last night!

But tomorrow I'm going to be seeing our dear friend Rena Owen, who just won a Best Supporting Actress TV Award in New Zealand and is also up for one in Australia!

I thought Jeff had listed the running time at 2hrs 20 minutes, which I also asked him about while we were lingering before the show started.

Perhaps he was a bit distracted with all the folks coming in at that point, or misunderstood me.

What Brian says makes sense though, since I know Mark cut additional footage after Sundance (not necessarily because of Sundance).

Also, the walkouts are nothing to guage a film by at a buyer's screening. Many buyers figure out they won't be picking up a certain film after the first 10-15 minutes, sometimes longer . . .

Those occasions are not a true measuring stick of performance since much of the audience is there for one reason only . . . . Can we make money with this product?

Not sure if Melt screened to a purely viewing audience at Sundance or not. Perhaps Brian knows.

Congratulations to Rena!!! Many of you who have seen Once Were Warriors (among many other excellent roles) will know her work.

She fucking rocks.

- TB