sidewaysgaze

I Melt With You

I'm already moved by their performances just by watching the teasers and trailers.

Here's an EXCLUSIVE CLIP: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/...h_you_clip.html

I checked the facebook page, but have not seen any release dates? Has anyone heard anything?

Two more questions. Is Tim doing any title work like Malone, and are going to see the RAW logo on the big screen with this? It'll be nice to see RAW splashed on a 30 foot wall in all it's glory ;)

i know the prem is monday night. so it should be coming out soon after. its on VOD i think right now!

no RAW logo on this one - it lists yours truly as a producer. too much paperwork to get RAW on there this time. and its not really a genre thing.. not that raw is strictly 'genre.'

hopefully we'll see RAW up on the big screen soon!

i know the prem is monday night. so it should be coming out soon after. its on VOD i think right now!

no RAW logo on this one - it lists yours truly as a producer. too much paperwork to get RAW on there this time. and its not really a genre thing.. not that raw is strictly 'genre.'

hopefully we'll see RAW up on the big screen soon!

Just booked my tix for the AFI Fest premiere! Should be an "interesting" way to start the week!

The movie's On Demand right now. It was $9.99 well spent.

...and $10.99 for HD version, which sounds good to me! :D That's how I plan to spend a 'relaxing' Sunday afternoon...

Jen

Since my stitches will not allow me to sit through a whole film in a theater, this will be perfect. Been waiting to see this for some time.

Too bad about the RAW logo, maybe next time. I have a feeling when it hits, it will be with the perfect film.

Guest AdminGuyX

Finally had the chance to sit down and watch this. It packs a punch.

I have to say, first and foremost, this is a beautifully shot film. The scenes on the dunes with Tim and Richard waiting for the tow truck, in particular, just looked gorgeous. Eric Schmidt is on my radar now. The only other thing I've seen from him was the remake of The Mechanic, which I thought was decent but the camera work in that never stood out as anything special to me. His work on this film stood out a whole lot, so I might go back and re-watch it.

Secondly, WOW they do a lot of drugs. How the fuck did it not kill them the first day? Seriously, one oxycodone makes me oxycomatose (but after back surgery, that's OK). These guys were popping them like skittles, and drinking, how did they even stay awake? Oh yeah, the mountain of blow.

What really grabbed me about this was the natural chemistry of the performances. It played so well. I don't have friends I get together with every year, but I do have friends from childhood and high school that I am still close with, and this depiction of that kind of relationship is well done. Outside of the obvious, of course. :) But it made me miss them, actually. Thankfully I'm going to see them all in a few weeks. Instead of drugs, our vacations usually involve firearms and explosives, but everybody has their form of crazy fun right?

I loved the end of the film. I'm talking about the last 15 minutes here. I'm not going to give it away. But even though you know what's coming it's still very interesting. I really wanted to see the aftermath, BUT I think it ends right where it should. That's all I say.

Also, I think the right people know it's a RAW film. Meaning, all of us. ;)

Noeland-------

P.S.- for the DVD/Blue Ray I hope we get a lot of behind the scenes material. This is the kind of film I'm just dying to know what equipment was used and how it was used, what the shooting schedule was like, production challenges, etc. Maybe next time I see you Tom, I can pick your brain about this stuff.

Finally had the chance to sit down and watch this. It packs a punch.

I have to say, first and foremost, this is a beautifully shot film. The scenes on the dunes with Tim and Richard waiting for the tow truck, in particular, just looked gorgeous. Eric Schmidt is on my radar now. The only other thing I've seen from him was the remake of The Mechanic, which I thought was decent but the camera work in that never stood out as anything special to me. His work on this film stood out a whole lot, so I might go back and re-watch it.

Secondly, WOW they do a lot of drugs. How the fuck did it not kill them the first day? Seriously, one oxycodone makes me oxycomatose (but after back surgery, that's OK). These guys were popping them like skittles, and drinking, how did they even stay awake? Oh yeah, the mountain of blow.

What really grabbed me about this was the natural chemistry of the performances. It played so well. I don't have friends I get together with every year, but I do have friends from childhood and high school that I am still close with, and this depiction of that kind of relationship is well done. Outside of the obvious, of course. :) But it made me miss them, actually. Thankfully I'm going to see them all in a few weeks. Instead of drugs, our vacations usually involve firearms and explosives, but everybody has their form of crazy fun right?

I loved the end of the film. I'm talking about the last 15 minutes here. I'm not going to give it away. But even though you know what's coming it's still very interesting. I really wanted to see the aftermath, BUT I think it ends right where it should. That's all I say.

Also, I think the right people know it's a RAW film. Meaning, all of us. ;)

Noeland-------

P.S.- for the DVD/Blue Ray I hope we get a lot of behind the scenes material. This is the kind of film I'm just dying to know what equipment was used and how it was used, what the shooting schedule was like, production challenges, etc. Maybe next time I see you Tom, I can pick your brain about this stuff.

LOL, Nice review man.

Was fortunate enough to attend the premiere at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood as part of AFI Fest. There was a small press/red carpet area where I glimpsed Mr. Jane having his photo taken alone and then with co-star Sasha Grey. He was looking dapper in a three piece suit. It was a packed house and the movie started 15 minutes late. An AFI programming director spoke about I Melt With You's unique perspective and strong acting performances. Director Mark Pellington took the mic and thanked his committed cast who were also in attendance: TJ, Jeremy Piven, Rob Lowe, Sasha Grey and Carla Gugino. He thanked Magnolia Pictures for helping them get the movie out and described it as a "punk rock movie" and "renegade filmmaking".

The movie started, from the opening title cards, it was an experience. Raw, fast, intense, funny. At the same time it was dark but not bleak. Heart breaking but not melodramatic. There's no "cry for me" pandering to the audience. No endless pontificating on the meanings of life. No questions without answers. The script and filmmakers made a choice and followed through. If you're lucky enough to have a few strong lifelong friends like I do, watching the annual gathering in the film is particularly endearing.

Performances were solid across the board. Mr. Jane brings his gruff-suave-weirdcoolness to the role and gives his character latent and potent aspirations along with a few laughs. Jeremy Piven has some great moments as the protective, providing father yet morally bankrupt business man. Rob Lowe is heart rending as the vacant doctor with despicable clients dealing with divorce and his son calling someone else their Dad. Christian McKay brings a sadness to his role as a man dealing with loss and guilt who just needs someone to talk to.

I thought this film would be more divisive. One of those films you love or hate. Get or get bored by. But it wasn't. I dug it all the way through, wasn't squirming in my chair or checking my watch. A few people walked out but the audience seemed to dig it and most of them stayed after the credits rolled.

The cast came up along with Pellington and the writer, Glenn Porter. Pellington did most of the talking, about how he was frustrated with the studio system, nobody making films for a 49 year old man, making a small picture that was contained. Getting the script, the cast. Shooting in 18 days, TJ being there on set everyday while Rob Lowe shot his role in 14. Lowe talked about being sober for 20 years and basically staying up all night and working with Pellington to get the performance right. When asked about the palpable camaraderie on screen, Piven told a story about watching Rob Lowe in his youth and feeling a connection to the star. Lowe mentioned that they were all peers and all fighting in the same weight class so it was easy to get in sync.

Mr. Jane didn't seem to be in a talkative mood, he chimed in that he was there to remind Rob Lowe what it was like to be drunk and got a big laugh.

Afterwards, I was a bit wired. I just felt like living.

Agree with Noeland that a loaded up DVD is in order. A commentary, behind the scenes, something to show us how this experience was all created and captured.

[in a nutshell] a tasty trip through middle-age hell that bravely showcases the cinematic weight of its actors, its a truly bold effort by Pellington, wonderfully brought to life by the delicious madness of Thomas Jane and served with a shot of abstract. 8/10.

Here's one of the latest critic reviews online, at least that I've seen:

"The Upside: The four turn in decent performances (with Thomas Jane and Rob Lowe standing out the most)..."

Ummm, then there's also a downside...LOL

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/film-fest...h-you-alori.php

Jen

Here's the link to Mark Pellington's Director's Statement (and Glenn Porter's Writer's Statement) specially for the On Demand film:

"I was interested in exploring how middle aged men become far different creatures than they imagined they would be, and how they deal with it."

http://ondemandweekly.com/blog/article/mar..._melt_with_you/

Jen

Guest AdminGuyX
Afterwards, I was a bit wired. I just felt like living.

Yeah, the film had the same kind of effect on me. I was in a good mood after watching it.

Great post! Wish I could have been there. I'm not a very big fan of Mark Pellington, but I'd still have enjoyed his time talking to the audience I'm sure.

The movie started, from the opening title cards, it was an experience. Raw, fast, intense, funny. At the same time it was dark but not bleak. Heart breaking but not melodramatic. There's no "cry for me" pandering to the audience. No endless pontificating on the meanings of life. No questions without answers. The script and filmmakers made a choice and followed through.

Very well put. You summed it up so much better than I did. It also has that "what would you do?" moment that I thought worked so well. By that time in the film I was hooked on the story and had to see it play out.

This certainly isn't a film for everyone, it is unapologetic about the leads behavior and choices. I liked that.

Here's one of the latest critic reviews online, at least that I've seen:

"The Upside: The four turn in decent performances (with Thomas Jane and Rob Lowe standing out the most)..."

Ummm, then there's also a downside...LOL

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/film-fest...h-you-alori.php

Jen

I saw that this morning and replied to it. Not really the type to disagree with someones opinion but this lady just rubbed me the wrong way. She speaks on behalf of the entire audience in her review. You're one person, don't speak for anyone else! She also couldn't put together some, what I thought, were basic traits of TJ's character.

The power and the folly of the internet, everyone has a voice and journalism really doesn't mean much anymore, does it?

Yeah, the film had the same kind of effect on me. I was in a good mood after watching it.

Great post! Wish I could have been there. I'm not a very big fan of Mark Pellington, but I'd still have enjoyed his time talking to the audience I'm sure.

Very well put. You summed it up so much better than I did. It also has that "what would you do?" moment that I thought worked so well. By that time in the film I was hooked on the story and had to see it play out.

This certainly isn't a film for everyone, it is unapologetic about the leads behavior and choices. I liked that.

Not a fan of Pellington's previous work or what? I haven't seen much of it so... It was cool to hear him speak about the project, the passion. The fact he just got off his ass, stopped waiting for a movie to be made and made a movie.

It's definitely not a film for everyone, for some reason I don't think women would enjoy it. But one of my female friends liked it a lot, thought it was intense, strong performances, etc. The other didn't know what to make of it, she was still trying to process it at the end of the night. Liked the acting but had no desire to watch it again.

I rented this today, and I must say, I was impressed. I loved what Mark did with the script. Like mentioned before, the diolouge does not bash you over the head with existential thinking on what the meaning of life is. And it didn't have to. Everthing these guys where going through made it on the screen and that's what makes this unique. It gives you quick info on what you need to know, characters say things that need to be said to push forward, and thats it. The rest is a visual explosion on the screen. Some fast, some slow, all amazing to look at.

This is not a film for everyone. Should you check it out? I would. Even if Tom was not in this, I'd check it out. Films like this are a rarity, and it pulls no punches. The characters lives in this could go either way, and not matter which way that is, they still don't have a very positive out. All four of them, for very diffrent reasons, have a deep level of self loathing. Some see it, and some refuse to. The Tim character, for me, had the most endering line, and it's a line that sums up the film for me. There is a scene on a boat, and the owner of the boat is talking to Tim about losing his wife. Tim talks about losing his "other", and is asked if he believes in heaven. He says, "No. But I want to." Here is a guy so guilt ridden that he can not even give himself the peace of thinking there is a better place, and you can see on his face that he really want to.

In the end, you can walk out feeling depressed. I'm sure you will not come out laughing ;) But as mentioned above by others, there is a feeling of "living" after seeing it. I agree with that. It is a long, dark decent to the end, no doubt, but Richard's last line kind of sums it up. In the end that's all he had, and as dark as the story was, I find that message positive (though, the outcome not so much).

I Melt With You will certainly have a divided audience. I liked it, but I have a hard time thinking of anyone immediatly at work who I could say would like it at much, but you never know. It's deffinatly worth the time to check out, but I can say this, we can all agree it has a kick-ass soundtrack.

...and another one...

"...the unleashed whirlwind of performances — especially by Thomas Jane and Rob Lowe — are truly inspired, or at least impeccably intense..."

http://smellslikescreenspirit.com/2011/10/...ith-you-review/

Jen

Unfortunately itunes is not releasing this in Canada.

But I was able to find it off of Super Channel on demand last Friday. In case any Canadian viewer wanted to know :)

I am a big indie fan. Once I heard about it, I have been looking out for it since January.

Finally, I got to see it and it turned out to be exactly what I had imagined it to be and more.

I have to say as everyone has mentioned it is not a film for everyone but people who love film will appreciate

all the metaphors along in this movie.

What more can you ask for...gorgeous cinematography, great tunage and the leading hunks...well need I say more.

Eventhough it was a depressing film...knowing this going in ~

I must say it kept me interested throughout the whole movie...I was never bored.

It did keep me on my toes at times because you didn't really know where it was going to go.

But most of all I enjoyed the chemistry between the cast. It was believable as far as high school friends go and the

acting well...just SUPERB!

Let's give Thomas Jane another round of applause for his phenominal performance.

One more to add to his collection of great films. Congratulations Thomas!

I really do hope you get the recognition you truly deserve in this film because I think it's time ~ enough already!

Paola

They were not kidding. This is going to be a limited release: http://www.magpictures.com/dates.aspx?id=2...61-4de117a39815

If you are in the area, even if you feel this might not be your cup 'o tea, I urge you to check it out in a theater just for the experience. The visuals are friggin amazing. I really need to buy a projector.

And, if you have seen the film and wished there was a soundtrack, here is a listing. There is an interview with Mark talking about the soundtrack, and there were two songs from this list that had to change from the Sundance screening, one was the Jane's Addiction track and I believe the other was the Cure track. Can not remember what they changed them with.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/immaculate-noi...u2-clash-pixies

Since my stitches will not allow me to sit through a whole film in a theater, this will be perfect. Been waiting to see this for some time.

Too bad about the RAW logo, maybe next time. I have a feeling when it hits, it will be with the perfect film.

OT: Did I miss something, JWeb? - Hope you're alright - take care, mon Admin.

Thanks for everyone's reviews - will definitely give this a viewing, however I can.

Cheers -

Glad that some of you have been able to see this (in my opinion) remarkable little film.

Some say it's a bit self indulgent but hey, that's what trips like these ARE for the most part. There is a lot of the director in this baby.

And that's the cool thing. It's fairly unmarred by studio interference.

It's got to be hard to cut and splice such a personal journey.

The performances are top notch. I feel like TJ and Rob Lowe are at the top of their game here.

Piven is strong too. Christian McKay is a terrific young actor, really terrific. But he was the odd man out here in a way, being British and being somewhat of an outsider to the festivities.

I'm guessing it was more difficult for him not to feel like a 4th wheel as the other 3 guys could likely identify with the story in a more personal way.

I haven't seen the final cut yet. I've seen most all of the film having viewed much of the raw footage but have really not seen the last 20 minutes of the film yet . . .

I'm struggling to wait until I can see it on a theater screen. Just have to hope that it does play somewhere close as Magnolia continues to add cities and showings to it's schedule.

It should be opening a bit wider after December.

If I decide I can't wait I guess I'll try and order the VOD. I'd go iTunes but I want to see this on something besides my friggin' computer screen.

I'll be posting some goodies, like the cover to Richard's (TJ's) first novel, and some of the poster designs that were aborted.

Gotta beat a deadline today so maybe I'll toss some of that up later tonight.

Cheers all - TB

OT: Did I miss something, JWeb? - Hope you're alright - take care, mon Admin.

Thanks for everyone's reviews - will definitely give this a viewing, however I can.

Cheers -

Had my gallbladder taken out. Bit of a mess, but they got it out okay.

I guess I never realized this, but reading some older interviews (years before I Melt With You), Mark's wife passed away. There was one interview in particular where he mentions not wanting to get out of bed and was considering suicide. Glad he hung in there.

Tim, you need to show some of that stuff, after the deadline of course ;)