sidewaysgaze

I Melt With You

JoBlo's got a great review from Sundance.

I love it when a film divides an audience so quickly.

Once again, TJ's making choices that make people uncomfortable - keep it up.

There's going to be an awesome soundtrack for this film (or at least for the music used in the film).

"Director Mark Pellington pulls out all stops, with Talking Heads, Beasties, the Cure, Joan Jett..."

More info at:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/immaculate-noi...u2-clash-pixies

Jen

Isn't it great? I haven't thought of Cabaret Voltaire in YEARS. I must admit, though, in that fabulous line up that includes X, DK's, Cramps, etc., he might be missing The Fall.

or

or, even better,

Deadbeat Descendant and this video features DIVINE walking the streets of Baltimore!!

Oh, man, the reviews are rough...This film's gonna be a heavy ride, but I think we knew that already...

" I Melt with You is cinematic poetry. The kind that really bums you out. It stars Thomas Jane, Jeremy Piven, Rob Lowe, and Christian McKay. It also stars a very moody soundtrack... It’s about these four men, who reunite every year to escape their mundane lives, to do massive hardcore drugs, and reminesce, and bond, and talk about how much they hate their lives."

Read the whole review (and don't stop before the end of it or you "get" what the reviewer is saying):

http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/i-melt-...s-and-heavy.php

and

"I wasn't exactly expecting likable characters, but boy are these guys a piece of work."

and

"As far as the performances are concerned, all the actors are fine..."

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/...ught-mess-24214

and

"To Pellington’s credit, the actors look like they’re having a blast and he was obviously trying to make a point with the film..."

http://www.slashfilm.com/i-melt-you-thomas...undance-review/

Jen

JoBlo's got a great review from Sundance.

I love it when a film divides an audience so quickly.

Once again, TJ's making choices that make people uncomfortable - keep it up.

Thanks for finding this review! Insteresting to read after those other ones I found. :)

Jen

God I can't wait to see this! I'm all about stories that evoke some kind of emotion out of me, whether it's "piss my pants happy" or "hello teenage angst!" I like stories well told.

Don't want to steal any thunder from the reviews, but I did a little warm of sketch of Jane from the mono-log: http://nightlink.deviantart.com/art/Jane-I...h-You-195053350

According to Variety, Magnolia Pictures has picked up the rights to this movie at Sundance. Don't know what kind of release they're planning, but let's hope they treat it better than what Give 'Em Hell Malone or Dark Country got.

According to Variety, Magnolia Pictures has picked up the rights to this movie at Sundance. Don't know what kind of release they're planning, but let's hope they treat it better than what Give 'Em Hell Malone or Dark Country got.

Coolness! Maybe some of us will at some point be able to see it! :D From what I recall, Magnolia's released other films Tom's been in in the past.

Jen

Another review-type article that gives a great take on why this film is dividing audiences so much:

"Pellington displays a bold visual sense, makes evocative musical choices, and has his clear connection to his characters, all of whom are 40-something men grasping to reclaim their idealistic younger selves."

http://www.movieline.com/2011/01/the-case-...lt-with-you.php

Jen

Magnolia are pretty good with most of their releases, though they mostly are limited. So I Melt with You does have a better chance of showing up on the big screen.

One of the things I'm most excited about for this film is it's awesome score . . . Score, you say?

We all know the soundtrack is going to be unbelievably cool, with tons of great shit from the era the character's spent their youthful wad of hell-raising in . . .

But the score is something special too. I sat down with Tom to watch a bit of the film over at Pellington's offices the other night and was pleased as poking to learn (and hear) that Pellington re-teamed with former collaborators . . .

TOMANDANDY, who also scored Pellington's Arlington Road, and The Mothman Prophecies

If you aren't familiar with either Tom or Andy then hit the link above where you can listen to their stunning work and review their musical catalogue.

Their work on I Melt With You will fucking MELT you.

I don't read reviews normally. I watch the trailers and go from there. I can't wait to see this flick.

Magnolia are pretty good with most of their releases, though they mostly are limited. So I Melt with You does have a better chance of showing up on the big screen.

"The film has been picked up by magnolia with a statement reading:

"Mark Pellington has made a maverick, stylish and powerful film that resonates for days after viewing," said Magnolia SVP Tom Quinn. "Thomas Jane, Rob Lowe, Jeremy Piven and Christian McKay give some of the best performances of their entire careers and attention must be paid.""

http://flickeringmyth.blogspot.com/2011/01...-of-no-one.html

Jen

Short Interview with Tom and cast of I Melt With You from Sundance:

"Many of the audience members who participated in the post-show Q&A professed their love for the film (one man positively equated the movie with being on a bender), and on my way out, I chatted with another guy who thought the picture was commendably brave."

and

"Jane, for one, reveled in the opportunity to experiment and improvise during the unorthodox shoot. "The camera just followed us around," said Jane. "We felt like we could try out stuff, and Mark would keep rolling [the camera].""

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/28/sund...-melt-with-you/

Jen

I don't read reviews normally. I watch the trailers and go from there. I can't wait to see this flick.

Yeah, especially with this film, it's probably better to go in blind and then get blown away! :D

In a link to one of the articles I just posted they mention that Jeremy Piven's mom was in the audience for the screening, and he apologized that he didn't give her fair warning of what the film was like... :lol:

Jen

Yeah, I've seen the trailer of Tom and some of that rang some bells in my head. Being around that age myself.

Poor Piven. Can you imagine? "Maaaa! A-ha! Hey, uh, you want to get some gummi bears?"

Like the poster Tim, I'm assuming you being the tagline generator that you are came up for the one for I Melt with You.

I-Melt-With-You-Poster-from-Tim-Bradstreet.jpg

Like the poster Tim, I'm assuming you being the tagline generator that you are came up for the one for I Melt with You.

I-Melt-With-You-Poster-from-Tim-Bradstre

that he did! Timmy's got a real ear for those catchy phrases, huh? Tim, you could have been an ad guy!

but for some reason, i just can't picure him on the set of MAD MEN...

What a great cast man! Looking forward to seeing this one. If it's half as good as Dark Country, it will be a multiple view for me.

that poster is great. i'd like to have this in my collection. oh, how i hope this movie will be released in germany.

right on! yeah i have a feeling the Krauts will dig the dark, twisted journey that is MELT.

I-Melt-With-You-Poster-from-Tim-Bradstreet.jpg

Really cool poster Tim. Hope it gets used when the film is released.

And a happy birthday too ;). Have a good one.

right on! yeah i have a feeling the Krauts will dig the dark, twisted journey that is MELT.

even DARK COUNTRY wasn't released here. that sucks. sometimes i just hate this country. <_<