Sign in to follow this  
ReCoil

Thomas Jane playing Miley Cyrus's father in LOL

It's playing in Akron here in Ohio, about an hour from where I'm at. I can't imagine it'll be there for very long with Dark Shadows coming out this week and Avengers still making bank.

It's playing in Akron here in Ohio, about an hour from where I'm at. I can't imagine it'll be there for very long with Dark Shadows coming out this week and Avengers still making bank.

Get thee to the theater double time!! :P Well, or wait for the DVD release where you can watch the Miley Cyrus-driven vehicle in the comfort and safety (away from the public - LOL) of your own place.

Jen

Just another link to tidbit with interesting quotes from the director about the film. Also, a rundown of where the film was released by state - No New York release! Crazy...

""I really thought this movie could be universal," Lisa Azuelos, the director of both the American and French versions of "LOL," told Ben Fritz and Amy Kaufman of the Los Angeles Times. "Usually teen movies are tender or scary or have vampires in them, but they’re never realistic. This story isn’t too dirty and not too stupid."

Unfortunately, the Cyrus version of "LOL" seems to have gotten caught up in studio politics. According to the Times, those executives who were initially excited about the film became less so as the months passed. "LOL" got lost in the wake of Lionsgate titles like "The Hunger Games" and "What to Expect When You're Expecting."

"LOL" ended up being released in eight states -- California, Ohio, Illinois, Tennessee, Texas, Minnesota, Missouri and Utah -- but not New York."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/08/lol-miley-cyrus-movie-bomb_n_1499368.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D159011

Jen

Get thee to the theater double time!! :P Well, or wait for the DVD release where you can watch the Miley Cyrus-driven vehicle in the comfort and safety (away from the public - LOL) of your own place.

Jen

If it's still playing up there I just might catch it and the Avengers again. Besides, there's used dvd stores up there I scour for Mystery Science Theater 3000 boxsets.

"LOL" ended up being released in eight states -- California, Ohio, Illinois, Tennessee, Texas, Minnesota, Missouri and Utah -- but not New York."

http://www.huffingto...26pLid%3D159011

Jen

Ouch, only eight states? You'd think with Miley Cyrus' name attached to it it would get a little wider than that.

Here's the link to detailed review of LOL, and it ain't that pretty. LOL

"Anne's dilemma is determining her attraction between two men. Should she keep on having physical dalliances with her non-dependable ex- husband (Thomas Jane)? Maybe Anne should start fresh and cultivate a brand new intimate bond with a drug law enforcement officer (Jay Hernandez)?"

http://voices.yahoo.com/lol-film-review-11331914.html?cat=25

Jen

Here's the link to an article/review that goes a teeny bit more in depth about Tom's role in this movie:

"Alan (Thomas Jane) is the ex-husband of Anne (Demi Moore) and Lola's father - a man who can't seem to let go of his ex-wife."

and

"The other relationship minefield concerns Lola's mother and father - a marriage that refuses to die - and the persistent cop who adds to the complicated threesome."

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/plus/goingout/articles/2012/05/30/4010684-film-file--lol/

Jen

LOL will be available on BluRay on July 31st.

Details here:

"In an early announcement to retailers, Lionsgate says 'LOL' is coming to Blu-ray on July 31."

and

"The Blu-ray will feature 1080P video, a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack, and supplements include: Commentary with director Lisa Azuelos and cast members Ashley Hinshaw & Lina Esco, The Cast of LOL, Like Mother, Like Daughter, and Lots of Love For Lisa Azuelos."

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/Lionsgate/LOL_Announced_and_Detailed_for_Blu-ray_/9514

Jen

In a review here in Norway, he said Tom was the only highpoint of the movie. So there's that :P

I know some people did not like the fact that he did this movie. But I really do think he did this for his daughter who is a miley cyrus fan. And I watched an interview he did and he was taking Harlow with him so she could meet miley cyrus. To me that shows he is a very good daddy.

I know some people did not like the fact that he did this movie. But I really do think he did this for his daughter who is a miley cyrus fan. And I watched an interview he did and he was taking Harlow with him so she could meet miley cyrus. To me that shows he is a very good daddy.

I totaly agree! :D Plus, the original French movie was a hit and had some substance, or at least good performances and modern day issues. I saw it a couple of weeks ago (with bad English translations) and it was good for its niche. I haven't seen the "Hollywood" version yet though... If Tom has the role I think he has in the French one, then he's not in it a whole lot though; maybe 1/12th or 1/16th of the movie...?

Oh, well! Better than no Tom!

Jen

Hello people!

Who has already seen this film?

I didn't cauze i am not sure.. how much screen time does Tom have in thins one?

ps: can't wait to see a "Red Machine" trailer..

Saw the movie last night, only 2 and a half minutes of Tom. Very much screentime for Demi Moor..

Yeah Miley does look good, but it doesn't make the film better.

Saw the movie last night, only 2 and a half minutes of Tom. Very much screentime for Demi Moor..

Yeah Miley does look good, but it doesn't make the film better.

Thanks for the heads-up on Mr. Jane's screentime. Good to know so as not to be dissapointed ... cheers!

Yes, thanks for that info, MCEdiu!

Here's the link to a kinda detailed review of LOL that basically says it's neither good, nor bad - just the same old stuff about teenagers and familial and social relationships that has been done ad naseaum:

http://kdvr.com/2012/07/26/review-lol-blu-ray/

Jen

Link to detailed review of LOL:

"Thomas Jane and Demi Moore are the real anchors of the film, playing the parents of Cyrus’ character with opposite approaches. Jane is the cool father that shows up whenever his kid needs a life lesson and whenever he suddenly has an urge to reconnect with his ex-wife and Moore plays the caring mother that is described as overprotective, but really just a mom that cares about her daughter’s well-being.

LOL is almost a watchable film because of their performances, yet the familiarity of the story holds it back from becoming something special. I’m surprised by how much hate it has received so far, because the film is mostly your average teenage romance."

http://wegotthiscovered.com/Blu_Ray-review/lol-bluray-review/

Jen

I've finally - finally kinda run through LOL, just to spot where Tom is in the movie. I haven't had the time to actually sit down and really watch it yet.

Anyway, the movie seems to be a faithful adaptation of the original French version, as far as I can tell on fast-forward.

Tom's scenes are sprinkled throughout the movie, some very fleeting, and some a bit longer, like the coffee convo w/ Demi Moore, and near the end of the movie w/ Miley Cyrus. There may be about 6 to 7 scenes total of Tom in the movie.

So, not a cameo like in Scott Pilgrim, but not a substantial role for length of time at least.

Jen

Hey, Jen - that's cool - there's many times I've run through on fast-forward a DVR full of free-trial movies!

There's only so much time in the day! ;)

Good to know to look out for Tom's scenes instead of just a cameo, thanks!

The TV channel EPIX is broadcasting LOL several times this December, starting tomorrow, Dec 17 at 8pm EST in USA, Tuesday, Dec 18 at 9:15am, again at 4:30pm, Friday, Dec 28 at 12:30am, 8:30am, and 3pm.

Check your local listings for any differences.

Jen

Link to review of LOL with some pertinent info about Tom...LOL...here: "The two most important things to take away from LOL: this movie should have been all about Thomas Jane, who plays Lola's father, and Anne is a horrible mother. She treats Lola like a sister, she looks like Lola's sister..."

http://chrisandelizabethwatchmovies.wordpress.com/tag/thomas-jane/

Jen

Link to review of LOL with some pertinent info about Tom...LOL...here: "The two most important things to take away from LOL: this movie should have been all about Thomas Jane, who plays Lola's father, and Anne is a horrible mother. She treats Lola like a sister, she looks like Lola's sister..."

http://chrisandeliza...ag/thomas-jane/

Jen

That's awesome - true dat!

This is currently streaming on Netflix so my lady and I gave it a shot. The lives and problems of rich, white, teenage girls aren't exactly things I can relate to but LOL wasn't good or bad per se. TJ is sprinkled throughout the film and does the most with his minimal part. It's nice to see him as part of an ensemble and he gives a pretty solid yet weirdly funny performance that makes the most of his limited screentime.

Yeah I bought it (just for the TJ collection) but not brought myself to watch it yet, seems to be getting further down the list. Shame.

ok, look since im with friends here I would like to own up. I bought this film to go with my TJ collection. I know I know, but I must be safe here amoungest my friends............................Right.............?