Sign in to follow this  
sidewaysgaze

I can't sign on to Forum from a different computer...

Hey everyone -

I've had this issue on 'n' off since the Forum's inception, but I keep forgetting to mention my problem. Not sure if anyone else has this problem.

Basically, I sign on to the RAW Studios Forum from a specific computer. Once in a while though I'll use my own laptop and I enter my name and password and click to sign in, and the same screen comes back, saying something is "incorrect" (I think?), in a reddish box, and to log in again...

Any way to fix this? Has this happened to anyone else?

Jen

This has happend to me. A lot, actually. But I thought I was the only one having the problem. I don't get it, either. I use my laptop now, too. That's when it happens. But it doesn't always do it everytime.

Guest AdminGuyX

I'll check in the admin CP for log in issues and see what I find. Best I can do for now until I can do some poking around.

I've signed into the forum from 3 or 4 different computers and never had that issue.

If it happens again, or if anybody else is having this issue, please try and record what the box says, or what kind of error message it is, and relay that to me please. Might help.

Cool - thanks for looking into this - and when I try to log in this weekend, I'll note what pops up.

I want to say I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this problem, but maybe that's not good either! :lol:

Jen

I use 4 diffrent computers to log on but have no problem. Looking at Jen's and IFC's post though, I wonder if it's just from using a laptop?

I didn't have time to sign on from my laptop this weekend.

Maybe it is a laptop issue, but that sounds kinda strange...but who knows, in the world of computers and technology it seems like anything's possible! :lol:

Will try to log on soon and give the info -

Jen

The fact that I now use Internet Explorer 8 shouldn't make a difference, should it? :huh:

Just taking a stab in the dark, really.

Okay, when I try to log in from a remote computer/laptop, the regular sign-in screen pops up again and says this near the top:

"The following errors were found:

The board administrator requires all members to log in"

and then underneath that is the same stuff of name and password boxes...

So, not sure what's going on with that and if it is due to using a different Internet Explorer or ??!

Jen

Okay, when I try to log in from a remote computer/laptop, the regular sign-in screen pops up again and says this near the top:

"The following errors were found:

The board administrator requires all members to log in"

and then underneath that is the same stuff of name and password boxes...

So, not sure what's going on with that and if it is due to using a different Internet Explorer or ??!

Jen

It has always looked that way to me Jen so I didn't think there was anything wrong with mine...

Guest AdminGuyX

I think the issue might be an IP redirect security issue.

If you don't log off from one computer, the next time you use that exact computer to view the board you will probably not have to sign in. The board will just show up for you, ready for posting. It not only recognizes the IP, it recognizes the specific computer you are using to access the board.

But if you try and sign in from a different computer, even on the same network, the board automatically runs a security protocol that will ask you to sign in, this is to make sure co-workers or people on a public network like a library or a cafe, can't just go to the board and post under your name, and get into your member control panel.

I post on the board from my main computer in the office upstairs, and when I'm downstairs I use my Iphone. I almost always have to resign in when I change computers like that.

By the way, no errors in the sign in logs that I could find. I even checked the security logs.

Thanks for that info Noland. :)

I wonder if the issue could be with the fact that I uncheck the box that says 'keep me signed in' on the main log-in page?

Maybe if I keep it checked, then it would 'recognize' me and not run a security check each time I try to go on?

I'll try that next, where I keep it in the logged on function and see what happens...

Will report here once I know anything. :)

Jen

Thanks for that info Noland. :)

I wonder if the issue could be with the fact that I uncheck the box that says 'keep me signed in' on the main log-in page?

Maybe if I keep it checked, then it would 'recognize' me and not run a security check each time I try to go on?

I'll try that next, where I keep it in the logged on function and see what happens...

Will report here once I know anything. :)

Jen

I never checked that box, either. So, maybe we're getting somewhere with solving this mystery. B)

I've been using my laptop for awhile. But this week, I had to use my other computer a few times. And now that I'm back on my laptop, I haven't had the problem. I believe I experience the issue maybe once a week now. It did use to be everyday.

It's not very consistent.

But the IP address theory sounds the most logical, so thanks Noeland for coming up with that. You know more about this stuff than I do.

RAW on an Iphone!? Fancy, Noeland. ;)

I'm also wondering if it's a speed issue. I've found that the problem with signing in was only happening when I was on dial-up and using my laptop.

I've recently been at a WiFi area and using a laptop and I've had no problems signing in.

Maybe the dial-up was so slow that the request to sign-in timed out or something like that.

Just a thought. :)

Jen

I'm also wondering if it's a speed issue. I've found that the problem with signing in was only happening when I was on dial-up and using my laptop.

I've recently been at a WiFi area and using a laptop and I've had no problems signing in.

Maybe the dial-up was so slow that the request to sign-in timed out or something like that.

Just a thought. :)

Jen

I don't have dial-up, but I would still have the problem. So, I'm not sure if that's it.

I had the problem today. I haven't had it for awhile, then all of a sudden....Boom! Problem!

At first, I wasn't bothered by the issue. But the fact that no one is 100% positive of what's causing the problem makes me really want to get to the bottom of this. B)