Guest AdminGuyX

Mad Max: Fury Road

Guest FADoss
Well, um, damn. Anyway. I just don't think Mad Max should be made again. I don't think Lethal Weapon should either. I love Mel Gibson, the guy is a God, and I'm talking about his acting, what he does on his own time whether it be drinkin', gamblin', etc, is none of my business. No one can replace him, and as much as I hate to say it, he is a dying breed. He's getting old, him, Kurt Russell, Clint, Bruce, all of 'em, and it really pains me to see that because I'd like them to be young forever and make movies. Ya know? But anyway, I think if another Mad Max is made it'll be trashed and put to rest and quite possibly be a disgrace to Mel Gibson, the franchise, and so that's just my opinion.

Also, not to get off topic, but Gerard Butler finally dropped out of the Escape from NY remake, thank God and it looks like it won't be made now. Sorry but to me that's good news.

JO

I'll agree that I don't see the point in doing a remake of either movie. However, remakes have generally done very well at the box office. To be honest with you, I have huge problems with most movies made before 1977 due to editing choices. I like seeing those films remade...however some things are sacred.

I wouldn't mind seeing another Mad Max movie though...a continuation...passing of the torch. Again, though, after LA, I think Snake is done with the big screen. Crappy film.

Frederic

Guest AdminGuyX

Thank you Tim.

Well, I think the mad max world is still a viable pallette for story telling, and some great on screen destruction. Like I said before, after watching Miller make movies about pigs, and penguins, I'm ready for him to return to the world that made him a famous director, and wreck some shit.

Njc-------------

The thing about remakes is, they have to stand on their own two legs. You can't always rely on just a title and familiar plotline to make it good. Maybe if we didn't have such good access to old movies, things would be different. But anybody can go out and buy a copy of the original Escape from NY or the original Mad Max and not think twice about saying it stomps the crap out of the remakes. So unless you've got an original twist or a VAST improvement in some technical aspect over the original version, it's best not to mess with it... I would think directors and writers would wind up just feeling like tools if all they do is remind people of why the original is superior.

I'll wait and see on any remake, but it's got to be special in the end.

Guest AdminGuyX

Fury Road isn't a remake guys. It's a sequel. Made by the same director who did the original, the blockbuster sequel, and co-directed the third film.

Come on guys, GTO's, razor sharp boomerangs. Lord Humungus. Two men enter, one man leaves. Chicks with mohawks. You know the movies.

We're not talking remakes in this thread.

I'm thinking Simon Baker would be good in the role. You may have seen him in Land of the Dead. They may want someone even younger, though. If you've seen him in LOTD or the TV series The Guardian or in Red Planet, you "might" agree with me. If not, that's okay.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048932/

He smiles too much in the pics posted on IMDb. You have to see him in action. He's not unknown, but certainly not a big name.

Guest AdminGuyX

He played a thief on the gone too quick "Smith" with Ray Liotta.

It just hurts to think about the role recast, but honestly, that ain't the worst suggestion I've ever heard.

Fury Road isn't a remake guys. It's a sequel. Made by the same director who did the original, the blockbuster sequel, and co-directed the third film.

Come on guys, GTO's, razor sharp boomerangs. Lord Humungus. Two men enter, one man leaves. Chicks with mohawks. You know the movies.

We're not talking remakes in this thread.

You're right, of course... guess it applies more to the Escape from NY stuff. Sorry.

I'm very cool with another Mad Max movie. The Road Warrior is my favorite from the series, but they're all good. Mel Gibson was iconic in the role but I have a feeling the part can be recast with minimal pain.

No recast of Max, make the same world but someone else who is in it. Ya know? Same time, same environment but someone else who is also surviving in this world. Make him have a fuckin' Pontiac GTO JUDGE. ;)

JO

Guest AdminGuyX

For all the world it seems as if the movie is moving forward with a recast Max. SO, not saying we have to be happy about it, but we may as well talk about actors, ideas for re-inventing the character, and what kind of flick we'd like to see with FURY ROAD.

Maybe we should discuss how we'd like to see Max the character in the film without even mentioning the actor playing him.

For all the world it seems as if the movie is moving forward with a recast Max. SO, not saying we have to be happy about it, but we may as well talk about actors, ideas for re-inventing the character, and what kind of flick we'd like to see with FURY ROAD.

Maybe we should discuss how we'd like to see Max the character in the film without even mentioning the actor playing him.

I really liked the first two films the best, the second one really grabs you by the balls. He's dirty, raw, gritty, in your face and is fucked up pretty badly. Takes a lickin' & keeps on tickin', ya know? He had scars galore and a limp. A really fuckin' cool wardrobe and the guy just reminded me of something fierce.

About like the time I saw the film, Near Dark. Lance Henriksen was a complete badass in that film. So I think he should have a car, I always thought a custom would be cool. Like Johnny Cash's song, One Piece At A Time. I always thought it would be pretty cool if he took parts from broken down cars and put them on one he was fixing. It would have a go to hell look. What you think? Like put a big hemi in it, and have one side with no seat and nothing but weapons stacked, also have certain weapons rigged to the car. That would be interesting to see.

JO

Anybody see Doomsday? A really fun movie, with a lot of the elements from some of our favorites--namely Road Warrior and Escape. Very over-the-top, and totally worth the time and money i spent to see it. Looking forward to picking up the Unrated version soon.

Sorry, i should have checked first--totally my mistake.

Guest AdminGuyX

No big deal Parker. Just letting folks know the feature is there if they want to use it.

And the doomsday discussion was pretty fun. Jump in.

:)

MAD MAXATHON. March 20th & 21st. 8pm. New Beverly Cinema in Los Angeles. $10. If you live in L.A., you can't miss this!

Guest AdminGuyX

AICN has a new story up today. I'm not quite sure what they are saying though. Either there is a reboot afoot with Miller at the helm, or Fury Road has finally found some fuel and is rolling down the highway, just with a new actor as Max.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41110

They lost me with "digital tools". If there is anything that could not be more out of place in a Mad Max film, it would be CG car stunts. Old school all the way!

I don't know if anyone still has the Road Warrior on VHS, but the stunt feature they had on it was amazing (for some reason it was not on the DVD).

The Road Warrior is one of my all-time favourites and I don't wanna see a CGI heavy Mad Max either. There is a lot post-apocalyptic stuff coming out, with Terminator: Salvation, The Road, The Book of Eli etc. I guess sooner or later a remake or reboot is inevitable, I hope they will get it right. I think a sequel with Mel Gibson as an older Max would be interesting, but it's doubtful that it will happen. If they really wanna reboot it, then I could see Sam Worthington taking on the role...

AICN has a new update saying it is go. I guess the vehicals been built almost a year ago and have been waiting for the film the film to start. Also, the PS3 game is on it's way as well.

I still think Mel has it, and it would be great for him kick start his acting again. I don't know what Miller has against it.

Hardy dosen't seem like too bad of a choice, but I liked it better when they were tossing around Jermey Renner's name.