---<snipped>---

If you go see it, I hope you have a safe & joyous experience with your family/friends. There’s no way of understanding the tragedy that unfolded in Aurora, Colorado. I’m upset that a person would take it upon himself to act out what is meant for entertainment purposes only. It’s shattering that several lives were taken, many people were hurt, and others were effected by a horrendous act of violence staged at a movie theater. Seeing a movie in a theater is one of my most prized experiences, and it’s scary that safety is no longer ensured while enjoying an activity I hold dear. I can’t imagine (nor want to imagine) being in this awful situation and hope none of you ever find yourselves in one similar or worse.

I had been anticipating TDKR since it was announced. But as much as I wanted to see it, there was no way I would go to a midnight showing. Before this terrible incident, I actually thought about how I’d be worried to be in a theater at a late time surrounded by a crowd of strangers. I don’t even like sitting in a crowded theater during the day. I suggest they stop hosting midnight screenings.

There is a lot of violence in movies. I read that a trailer for Gangster Squad which originally appeared before TDKR was pulled, since it contains a scene of a theater-shooting. After this whole sick occurrence, I also found out that the scene is going to be cut from the movie, as well.

My thoughts & prayers are with the victims & the victims’ families at this heartbreaking time.

Very well put, Indie. LIke you, I long ago started to feel strangely about what used to be just going to the movies. In an instant, I realized, wow, I'm sitting in a dark room full of strangers - what a crazy thing to do! And going to the movies was forever changed for me ... it just sort of happened.

Likewise my thoughts and prayers for all who attended and suffered through the Aurora incident. Very pleasantly surprised and touched by Christian Bale's gesture as well.

It was a very classy thing for him to do.

Classy, indeed. Just looking at that photo brings tears to my eyes. You can tell his presence is shining a light on a very dark day.

I was happy to see him do that. Ever since his tirade on the sound guy, I always thought he might be a dick. But this provided me wrong. That is pretty awesome he went out there.

Even during Bale’s outburst, I remained a devoted supporter of his. He’s an intense actor who stays in character. The director should’ve stepped in before Bale could’ve done any yelling. We’re all allowed to have our bad days every now & then.

It's even better that Bale is going as himself and not as a representative for Warner Bros.

Very well put, Indie. LIke you, I long ago started to feel strangely about what used to be just going to the movies. In an instant, I realized, wow, I'm sitting in a dark room full of strangers - what a crazy thing to do! And going to the movies was forever changed for me ... it just sort of happened.

Likewise my thoughts and prayers for all who attended and suffered through the Aurora incident. Very pleasantly surprised and touched by Christian Bale's gesture as well.

Going to the movies -- you're sharing a personal experience with a crowd of people you've never met and may never see, again. It's a unique feeling.

Christian Bale is wonderful for taking the time to show he cares.

Christian Bale is showing the noble man he is by paying his respects to the victims and their families.

Raw Video: Bale Visits Shooting Memorial:

Batman Star Christian Bale Visits Aurora:

Some fun food for thought (BEWARE OF SPOILERS!!!!!!): http://www.cinemable...ions-32070.html

Thanks for posting this, Padre! It certainly clears up some of my questions. I already knew going into watching the movie that Joker wouldn’t be mentioned; Nolan chose to not reference him because he didn’t want to “trivialize a tragedy like that by explaining it away in some fashion.” I don’t think it creates a hole; I felt leaving Joker alone is a way to show respect towards Heath Ledger.

After thinking about it for awhile, I have a spoilerish question:

From a story line stand point, was it at all necessary for John Blake's first name to be revealed as Robin? It just felt like such a cheap *wink wink nudge nudge* to the audience that served no other point than just that. I think it can be argued that since we all know about the comic Robin, we come to the conclusion that he will succeed Bruce as Batman (or the equivalent of), but I thought that was already pretty damn obvious way before that.

It could never have happened and I would have been totally cool with it.

From a story line stand point, was it at all necessary for John Blake's first name to be revealed as Robin? It just felt like such a cheap *wink wink nudge nudge* to the audience that served no other point than just that. I think it can be argued that since we all know about the comic Robin, we come to the conclusion that he will succeed Bruce as Batman (or the equivalent of), but I thought that was already pretty damn obvious way before that.

I think it was just a nod to the character, for the fans. I don't think it's really supposed to mean anything beyond that. I'm pretty sure he will just be donning the Bat suit. It's been mentioned through out the series that Batman is a symbol, a legend. I don't think the city would accept another crime fighter so openly. I believe that is why the Bat signal was fixed, in order to call on the next Batman, when the time comes.

I thought it was stupid, like they felt the need to dumb things down for the audience.

The Robin "nod" didn't bother me. Kinda made me chuckle. I enjoyed the flick for what it was and pretty much it met my expectations. I don't really see a continuation of this (Nolan's) Batman world. I think a new team needs to take it into a new storyline.

They probably could continue with JGL, which could be interesting with the right people behind it. But I think rebooting is best thing to do, the fanboys got their grim 'n' gritty Batman, now I think it's time for something a little less depressing and dare I day fun.

I would like it to remain dark and some what realistic, but I would also like to see some of the more unrealistic characters, like Killer Croc, maybe clayface. Wouldn't mind seeing mr. freeze done properly. Kind of like in the arkham Batman games.

ok i'm going to chime in briefly. i LOVED the first two. for me there are no other Batman's. this one left me cold. except the very end, which i thought was pretty. i love mushrooms.

i love mushrooms.

:D

'nuff said.....

Great question!

I think it was just a nod to the character, for the fans. I don't think it's really supposed to mean anything beyond that. I'm pretty sure he will just be donning the Bat suit. It's been mentioned through out the series that Batman is a symbol, a legend. I don't think the city would accept another crime fighter so openly. I believe that is why the Bat signal was fixed, in order to call on the next Batman, when the time comes.

& that’s the best answer! Well, it's same reasoning I thought, anyways.

I though it was stupid, like they felt the need to dumb things down for the audience.

I don’t think it dumb things down. By calling him Robin, it’s just a way of confirming Blake’s destiny.

The Robin "nod" didn't bother me. Kinda made me chuckle. I enjoyed the flick for what it was and pretty much it met my expectations. I don't really see a continuation of this (Nolan's) Batman world. I think a new team needs to take it into a new storyline.

The Robin “nod” made me smile. I doubt Nolan will do another. TDKR feels like a final for him & his gang.

They probably could continue with JGL, which could be interesting with the right people behind it. But I think rebooting is best thing to do, the fanboys got their grim 'n' gritty Batman, now I think it's time for something a little less depressing and dare I day fun.

I had loads of fun watching these Batman flicks. Sure, they’re dark, but it’s a dark character. Any other way, and it becomes too cartoony for me. But we all have our preferences.

I would like it to remain dark and some what realistic, but I would also like to see some of the more unrealistic characters, like Killer Croc, maybe clayface. Wouldn't mind seeing mr. freeze done properly. Kind of like in the arkham Batman games.

I had wanted Mr. Freeze to be the villain this time around, but it didn't happen.

ok i'm going to chime in briefly. i LOVED the first two. for me there are no other Batman's. this one left me cold. except the very end, which i thought was pretty. i love mushrooms.

:P Most endings save movies. I like to think of Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises as the only Batman movies, myself. I love all three for various reasons, as well as, for one important reason -- Christian Bale. One of the few things I still don’t like about the third installment is the title. I would’ve included the name Caped Crusader in it. Not that the title ruins the movie for me at all.

Q for Batman comic book readers -- Has Robin’s name ever been ‘Robin John Blake’ in any series or is that a Nolan concoction? I always only associated Dick Grayson with Robin.

Q for Batman comic book readers -- Has Robin’s name ever been ‘Robin John Blake’ in any series or is that a Nolan concoction? I always only associated Dick Grayson with Robin.

I don't think so no. I think the character is meant to be a combination of all the different versions of Robin from the comic.

Dick Grayson was the first Robin, Jason Todd was the second, Tim Drake was the third Robin, Stephanie Brown the fourth, Damien Wayne the fifth.

I don't think so no. I think the character is meant to be a combination of all the different versions of Robin from the comic.

Dick Grayson was the first Robin, Jason Todd was the second, Tim Drake was the third Robin, Stephanie Brown the fourth, Damien Wayne the fifth.

Thanks for the helpful info, guys!

Here's a neat round up of the comic storyline's that inspired the film: http://www.ew.com/ew...20613554,00.htm

Cool! Good to know they did their research and wanted to stay true to many of the elements from the comic books.

I read it first as an insult, like some kid on set pissed him off, and so Bale called him a "cancer patient."

I read it first as an insult, like some kid on set pissed him off, and so Bale called him a "cancer patient."

Heh. I didn’t read it like that until you pointed it out.

Bale may get angry, but he’d never call a child, or anyone, a "cancer patient" in a cruel way.