Sign in to follow this  
Rosella

Lie to me*

Lie to me* returns tonight, June 7th @ 8pm. I have been waiting for it for quite sometime. It's odd for it to finish its second season during the summer. There are only nine new episodes, and it's already been renewed for a third season. Yay!

I love Tim Roth as Cal Lightman. It's such a great character for him to play. I wish Fox treated the show with a little more respect, though. But if the show isn't Glee (Yuck), Fox doesn't care to promote it.

I don't know if anyone on here watches Lie to me*, but it's one of my most favorite shows on television, so I felt it was at least worth mentioning.

It's Tim Roth on TV! How does that concept not strike someone's interest?

If you have not seen it, give it a try. You may enjoy it.

Heya -

Well, I just saw my 1st episode yesterday. I had been wanting to at least tune in and check out Tim Roth, but never did for some reason. I was also watching for the actor Jason Dohring because I like the roles where he seems sweet 'n' innocent, but ends up being not so nice.

Would you say the "Beat the Devil" episode of last night is indicative of the whole series?

I thought there were good parts, like the toothy repartee between Tim's character and those 2 women (one who works for or with him and the professor) and the start of the show that pits Tim's character against Jason's character in front of all the students.

I also love how Tim's character just barges around and cuts to the chase; no niceties or formalities from him! :lol:

I think this episode should have been a 2-parter though; it wrapped up way too fast and was a bit too simplistic in explaining the baddie character.

Okay, I don't want to get too spoiler-ish...yet. :)

Jen

I'm so glad you saw it, Jen. I started watching this show from the very first episode, and I'll have to say that the writing gets better and better as it goes. Tim's Cal Lightman does have a way of getting right down to business. And that's one of the many reasons why I love this character. Also, I enjoy the way he stares at people, reading them. It's part of his job, and I know I'd be nervous if I ever got the Lightman stare down.

So far, I would say that the "Beat the Devil" episode shows what the whole series is. It's a great episode for beginners. A nice introduction, despite this episode is mid-season of season two.

I can see why you would want a two-parter, but all of the episodes of this series are meant to stand alone. Eventually, there will be story arcs that go together, but that hasn't really happend, yet. Just so you know, Fox tends to play the episodes out of order. So, if the episode seems confusing, or moments seem out of place, you'll know why.

I hope you continue to watch Lie to me*.

Here's a nice interview with Tim Roth, as well as a brief video of what the cast thinks of Roth:

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/lie-to-me/...alks-37061.aspx

Cool, thanks for that info. :D I do love the way Tim Roth (well, as his character) stares at people. He is definitely interesting to watch, and not just in this TV series.

What is the plan for airing this show? Was it on the chopping block recently, but then it got renewed? I haven't kept up with all of that...

Jen

Keeping up with the way Lie to me* airs has been confusing. It was never a show that would be cancelled; it was a show Fox placed on the back burner. The second season began in the fall, like normal, and ended in December. It was meant to take a brief winter break. Then, it was going to remain off until April. In late April, Fox began re-running the episodes. You know, so people could be reminded the show is still on. And finally Fox returned the series to Monday nights on June 7th. (The show used to be on Wednesdays, then switched to Mondays)

The fact that Lie to me* has already been renewed for a third season means that Fox isn't paying attention to the summer ratings. But, the show is only renewed for a short order for the third season so far. That's how Lie to me* gets treated. They only do short orders at a time. Never a full season.

In all of the movies I've seen of Tim Roth's, I've always loved him. He is one of my top favorite actors of all time. What other Tim Roth movies have you seen?

Have you ever seen Tim Roth in a movie called Four Rooms? That movie is pretty funny and Tim does a superb job in it! If you haven't seen it, check it out...

Have you ever seen Tim Roth in a movie called Four Rooms? That movie is pretty funny and Tim does a superb job in it! If you haven't seen it, check it out...

I love Four Rooms! I especially enjoyed when Ted the Bellhop (Roth) had to take care of those kids. :D

In that movie, Tim has the funniest reactions.

I'm glad you liked it.

In all of the movies I've seen of Tim Roth's, I've always loved him. He is one of my top favorite actors of all time. What other Tim Roth movies have you seen?

I'm just looking over Tim Roth's filmography and I realized I haven't seen The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover yet!!!! :o Must...see...it!!

I've seen his "known" films, like Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but I haven't seen his recent work.

He was captivating in a twisted way in Captives (please tell me you've seen him in that!), funny 'n' sad in Gridlock'd, and sick and twisted, but riveting, in Murder in the Heartland.

Then there are films that I know I've seen, like that Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead movie, but I've totally forgotten what happens, etc... :P

What are you fave movies of his?

Jen

Please don't think less of me, Jen, but I have not seen Captives or Murder in the Heartland. Wow, I feel ashamed now for actually admitting that.

They are both on my must-see list, I promise you. (Well, my goal is to see every single one of his movies) So far, I only own 38 of his movies. But, I'm trying.

I really do like Gridlock'd. That's a really great one. And I haven't seen The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, either. Since it's rare, I've always seen it as really expensive.

It's funny you mentioned Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, because that would have to be my most favorite. It's a comedy, and I love seeing Tim act hilariously.

I also love Killing Emmett Young, Deceiver, The Hit, Meantime, Return to Waterloo (which is just fantastic for any fan of The Kinks), The Legend of 1900 and Youth Without Youth.

I do love Reservoir Dogs, Hoodlum, Rob Roy, and Pulp Fiction. Who doesn't? B)

And every Tim Roth fan needs to see Made in Britain. If you haven't, you really should. Roth gives such a powerful performance.

The one I really want to see is the TV movie Skellig, but that isn't a US release. And I'd have to order it online, which I will eventually have to suck up and do. Anyone who knows me knows that I prefer buying items in stores. That's why I only have 38 of his movies. Finding movies is sort of a game for me. Actually finding the movies is always a proud moment. And feels so much more rewarding than simply hitting the Buy Now button. Call me old-fashioned, I guess.

Well, now you know that I'm crazy about Tim Roth. I even find him very attractive. He's sexy; I can't help it. ;)

If I listed unfamiliar ones to you, I hope you check them out. :)

Hey -

No, it's cool that you haven't seen every single thing Tim's ever been in. Some of it is sooo rare, I don't know how you'd be able to track it down these days!

I only saw Murder in the Heartland when it was originally on; I don't think it ever came on TV again or is available elsewhere...

Captives I had on tape a long time ago, but I don't have it anymore. :(

Yeah, that Cook, Thief, Wife, and Lover one is supposed to be really wicked somehow. Hopefully someday we'll both be able to see it. :)

I'll have to find Rosencrantz and G. are Dead and watch it again. I know at the time when I was trying to watch it, I was doing other stuff and not paying attention 100%, which is probably why I don't remember it that much.

I want to see Deceiver (I've seen the preview; looks chilling in a psychological way) and Made In Britian.

I totally understand the "buying in the store" mentality. I'm like that too, where it's always a thrill to uncover a rare CD or DVD or tape of something you want. :D Not too many people understand that these days...

I still do Amazon if need be, but not that often.

Do you know if you can get Skellig as "Region 1" DVD or would it be in the Region 2 format? That's one problem with buying tapes or DVDs if they are from a different country than where you live.

Oh, well, I hope you can see Tim's whole filmography at some point! :D

Thinking of Tom Jane's filmography, there's that darn episode of a TV series called High Tide that he was in that I've never seen - and I don't think that's available anywhere... :( So my Tom-viewing is incomplete!...

Jen

Whew! I'm so glad you're not disappointed in me. :)

Yeah, tracking down tv shows is a whole different story. Pretty much impossible. Then, again. I did luck out recently. I went to a Goodwill and found both of Doug Hutchison's X-Files episodes on a VHS tape. Wasn't even looking for it. (That's usually when I find what I want) But, I'll consider finding that as being lucky.

Is High Tide the only work you haven't seen of Tom's? If so, that's very impressive.

But it can be frustrating at times to want to see something so bad and not be able to because it's discontinued. Which ups the price, if you're even lucky enough to locate it.

Sorry you no longer have Captives. Maybe you'll find it, again in the future.

You got to see Murder in the Heartland when it was on? That is so amazing!

As for Skellig, it's only available for Region 2. I really want to get a Region Free DVD player, so I can be able to watch any Region. I'd even be curious to watch different Region formats of American films just to see the different Special Features. I happen to know for a fact that Tim's film Funny Games had features for another country. Want to know what mine has? Nothing. Not even a trailer!

Yes, you really should watch Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, again. If you do get around to it, please tell me what you think. I'm always curious to hear/read other people's thoughts on that particular film.

If you liked the preview for Deceiver, then I know you'll like the film. It's such a great film from beginning to end. I especially love the ending. It's one of those endings where you either love it or hate it. I chose love. And it has Tom's dream co-star Rosanna Arquette in it, as well. ;)

I had asked for Made in Britain for my birthday one year. And my Mom ordered it for me online. Before I had got it, I searched for it at Hastings (my favorite store in the whole world) but couldn't find it. After I had gotten it for my b-day, I returned to that store several weeks later and found one copy. I think I know what happend. I look up movies/music on their computer system, and I bet it keeps track. How else would they order one copy of that on their own? Too coincidental for me.

When I go to flea markets, the movie section is where I hang out. And I will look at every DVD/VHS there.

Thanks for pulling for me to actually see all of Tim's filmography. I hope I am able to reach this goal, too.

I hope we're both able to track down these hard-to-find films/tv shows we want. Then, we'll be able to feel a little more happy in life. ;)

I just saw last night's episode - the Exposed ep. I liked it, but what the Cal character did near the end was verrry dangerous, to keep the heat off his guy...

Okay, I know that sounded cryptic, but I don't want to go blabbing yet about the plot. I'm not sure how to do that "hidden spoilers text" thingie... :lol:

What did you think of the episode, Indie? Or anyone else who saw it.

Jen

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

I really enjoyed watching as Cal played everyone the way he did. Plus, I'm happy to see Burns go. Wasn't really too crazy about him. And I didn't think he and Gillian made such a great couple. I didn't see the connection.

My only complaint--I wish we could see more Loker. I don't understand why he has become the Mark Valley of Boston Legal. ( I don't know if you know what I mean when I say that.) On Boston Legal, Mark's character becomes partner, and yet you hardly ever see him get in the courtroom; you only get to see him pop up during the personal moments of the show. The writers stopped utilizing his talent. So, I really want to see more Lightman w/ Loker. That would be great.

Stupid on a plate? :D

Jen, don't know if you have a Twitter, but Tim Roth now does. It's interesting to see what he tweets; mostly, pictures from the set, which are quite fun to view.

Yesterday, I got 2 responses from Tim Roth himself on Twitter. Life is good. :D

Yesterday, I got 2 responses from Tim Roth himself on Twitter. Life is good. :D

Wowza, that's amazing! Just the thought of Tim Roth tweeting though is kinda funny. :P

Jen

Wowza, that's amazing! Just the thought of Tim Roth tweeting though is kinda funny. :P

Jen

I know, right? I believe Tim Roth is already addicted to it. He tweets like crazy. But it's definitely a great way to reach his fans. :)

Well, it's finally going to happen. 2 of my most favorite actors are going to be working together. DOUG HUTCHISON will be guest-starring on an upcoming episode of Lie to me*. :D

http://www.movieline.com/2010/11/lost-alum...n-lie-to-me.php

I still can't believe it! Somebody, pinch me!

If only Tom Jane could guest on Lie to me*. That would be something. B)

I know that the show had to come back early because of the way-too-quick and undeserved cancellation of Lone Star.

Jen

Lie to me* is still on. But Fox has yet to give the 3rd season a full order. I hope this show doesn't get cancelled.

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled when it returned early. I don't like it being on Mondays. Too much competition in the same timeslot. I wouldn't be surprised if they move Lie to me* back to Wednesdays.

Well, there's only 1 more ep. for this season. (Surprisingly, there's still a chance to see a 4th)

But if there's 1 episode you watch of Lie to Me*, let it be last night's "Gone"; Doug Hutchison delivers an Emmy-worthy performance. Best ep. of all 3 seasons!!! :D

http://www.hulu.com/watch/209385/lie-to-me-gone

Roth & Hutchison brought tears to my eyes.

After months of endless campaigning to save a beloved series, Lie to me* has been cancelled. :(

http://www.examiner.com/tv-in-chicago/fox-...and-breaking-in

Understand that it's all about the ratings, but it's still sad to see a show get axed despite having a huge fan base. Tim Roth starring on a TV show--How did that not grab more people's attention!? I just don't think that LTM received the proper respect. Its 1st season had 13 episodes (standard), then the 2nd had 22 (now, we're talking), but the 3rd again had 13. & it didn't help that the 2nd season played in both fall & summer. Yikes! It's almost as if Fox wanted LTM to fail. <_<

Also unhappy that Human Target was cancelled, as well. It's a really great action-packed series. Mark Valley can't catch a break.

I'm very disappointed that Human Target was cancelled. I can't say I was thrilled with the direction they went in during the second season, though.

I only watched Lie to Me once in a while. Mostly because I never knew when it was on and when it had new episodes. I always enjoyed it, though. I never could get into their secondary characters. Maybe that's just me.

I'm very disappointed that Human Target was cancelled. I can't say I was thrilled with the direction they went in during the second season, though.

I only watched Lie to Me once in a while. Mostly because I never knew when it was on and when it had new episodes. I always enjoyed it, though. I never could get into their secondary characters. Maybe that's just me.

I'm just tired of Mark Valley joining shows that get canceled. Maybe he could join Hung. For sometime, it's been a dream of mine to see TJ & Mark work together.

Exactly--You never knew when LTM was on b/c the time/day kept changing. & unless a person was really tracking it, it was very confusing. I only really loved Tim Roth's Cal Lightman & his group. But they kept bringing in so many new characters who didn't really mesh well with the others. I still wish it was given a fair chance. Many people are hoping LTM gets picked up by another network, but the producers have their doubts about that happening.