sidewaysgaze

Jonah Hex - animated short film

That's what the production company is saying. There's an extra on Batman: Under the Red Hood DVD, a Jonah Hex short. Here are the details:

"...animated short in the all-new DC Showcase series – which features the

popular DC Comics character, Jonah Hex. The short is scripted by renowned author

Joe Lansdale and stars the voices of Thomas Jane (Hung), Linda Hamilton (The

Terminator), Michelle Trachtenberg (Mercy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Michael

Rooker (Days of Thunder)."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Let...S/news/?a=17544

Jen

My friend Dan Norton is Art Designer at Warner Brothers Animation on this project. I mentioned to him that Tom was a Big Jonah Hex fan and that he would make a fantastic voice for him. Dan and his director agreed and convinced the studio executives on the move. So Dan worked through Tim and Tom agreed. I understand Tom did 3 variants of the voice, just before Comic Con last year. Dan said the darkest voice was awesome, but the studio execs went with the next milder version.

I'm not certain when and where the Jonah Hex and about 5 other DC shorts will be released.

Dan was recently promoted to Art Director on a new Thundercats Animated series. I believe that's coming out in late June on Cartoon Network.

I can't wait to check this out!!!

Maybe a full length animated Hex feature could be in the works?

Maybe a full length animated Hex feature could be in the works?

I don't believe WB has any direct plans for full length animated features based on the 6 or so DC Showcase animated shorts they are now starting to release.

Mike

Guest AdminGuyX

Thanks for posting that link. Great interview, and the photos included with it were very cool to see as well.

I'm looking forward to this one!!

Really, really nice short. I'm glad the look of Hex turned out to be better than the pictures suggested.

Blogger Review of Animated Jonah Hex short:

"let me start off by saying that Thomas Jane did a fantastic job voicing Jonah Hex."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Ins...L/news/?a=20761

and

Another review of short Jonah Hex film:

"Thomas Jane (who wanted to play the part in the live-action film) voices Hex and he is awesome."

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/batman-unde...0-movie-review/

Jen

Tom introduced Jonah Hex animated film to Long Beach Comic Con audience:

""There're a few great characters out there, and [Jonah Hex] is one of them," said Jane. "I'm honored to bring my version of Jonah Hex to life.""

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=29223

Jen

This is what I wanted from the Hex film. Is alone made it worth buying Batman: Under the Red Hood (though the Batman film is pretty good too)

I really hope they plan on doing more of these.

This is what I wanted from the Hex film. Is alone made it worth buying Batman: Under the Red Hood (though the Batman film is pretty good too)

I really hope they plan on doing more of these.

I think they are done with these, they put out the 22 minute Superman/Shazam DVD with all the other shorts (which were apparently extended versions). I don't think it sold enough to warrant anymore shorts.

I think they are done with these, they put out the 22 minute Superman/Shazam DVD with all the other shorts (which were apparently extended versions). I don't think it sold enough to warrant anymore shorts.

The project was completed and I believe they were only intended to be a market teaser with the hope of doing a potential spinoff animated series based on any one of them. Although they are available in a compilation DVD the primary distribution was through other titles, like the Batman "Under the Red Hood," that had the Jonah Hex short attached to it. The Showcase Shorts director, Joaquim Dos Santos, has since left WB Animation to continue work on new Avatar the Last Airbender episodes.

I just had the opportunity to visit Dan Norton, Showcase Shorts Art Designer/Shattered Empire Artist, at WB Animation Studios. I got to see the priority shots af the first episode of the Thundercats, he is Art Directing now. I also got to see some of their other big project, the animated Young Justice Series.

Another point of interest on the Showcase Shorts is that Steve Niles wrote the Spectre short and provided audio commentary on the compilation DVD. The shorts certainly have an unexpected association with RAW.

Mike

This is supposed to be based of off one of Jimmy and Justin's Hex stories, but I'm not sure which one it is. I'm still missing a few issues. Anyone have any idea?

This is supposed to be based of off one of Jimmy and Justin's Hex stories, but I'm not sure which one it is. I'm still missing a few issues. Anyone have any idea?

I thought it was just an original from Joe R. Lansdale.

I thought it was just an original from Joe R. Lansdale.

Joe R. Lansdale does the audio commentary. I can listen to it again and see what he says about the story and/or ask Dan about it too.

I loved this Jonah Hex short film; it was the reason I wanted Batman: Under the Red Hood. If they were to make more of 'em, then Tom would have to do the voice.

I loved this Jonah Hex short film; it was the reason I wanted Batman: Under the Red Hood. If they were to make more of 'em, then Tom would have to do the voice.

me too - i was pretty happy with it when i saw it. ya never know how somethings gonna turn out, so this was a pleasant surprise.