Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Richard Corben

I've been a fan of Richard Corben for decades, ever since I first saw his work in Creepy Magazine, and elsewhere in the late 70's.

From his early underground days to the mid 80's successes of Rip In Time, Mutant World, Jeremy Brood, Vic and Blood, etc . . . .

A lot of artists begin to stagnate and their energy begins to fall off the older they get, but Corben? He just gets better and BETTER.

He even got his own segment (Den), in the Heavy Metal animated film . . . How fucking cool is that?

He blew back into the comics scene in 2000 with sequential work on Hellblazer, then to Vertigo's anthology series'.

And then I saw something that literally fucking blew me away, Corben's adaptation of William Hope Hodgson's, The House on the Borderland, for Vertigo.

Absolutely STUNNING, and a fantastic little hardcover package, very sweet.

His success continued at Marvel for Banner, and Cage, and in between he continues to knock my eyeballs out of their sockets with the occasional cover . . .

. . . . Like this one for Eric Powell's, BUZZARD.

buzzard1b.jpg

I can only say "Holy Fucking Shit!"

If I don't end up owning this I'm going to have to kill someone ;)

I almost had the chance to work with Corben on Blade II but he doesn't like to travel and he decided not to work on the film.

I've always been seriously bummed that I missed out seeing the guy do his thing for real.

When TJ and I first discussed Bad Planet, we wanted Corben to be the artist. Didn't pan out. Damn again.

Luckily we've just secured Richard's services for a project we'll be announcing soon.

Stay tuned for that.

In the meantime, if you have never seen Corben's work before then google image his name for God sakes!

Go find The Bodyssey, DEN, Bloodstar, Neverwhere, Son Of Mutant World, the list goes on and on.

I also highly recommend his art book, volumes 1 and 2 if you can find them - > http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Corbens-art-...2/dp/188492400X

All I can add really is that Corben is hands down one of my top 10 favorite artists, EVER.

- TB

Corben is one of my all time favorite artists (next to that guy Bradstreet!). His work in the early Heavy Metal magazines and Warren publications inspired me so much. I always dreamt of his illustrations with my words. I remember sending him a story when I was 15 - he sent me back a handwritten review and a really encouraging letter - it was the first time a professional ever responded to my work. I'm 43 now and I work full-time as a professional writer but a part of me still wishes I was working with Corben.

In the meantime, if you have never seen Corben's work before then google image his name for God sakes!

Go find The Bodyssey, DEN, Bloodstar, Neverwhere, Son Of Mutant World, the list goes on and on.

I also highly recommend his art book, volumes 1 and 2 if you can find them - > http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Corbens-art-...2/dp/188492400X

All I can add really is that Corben is hands down one of my top 10 favorite artists, EVER.

- TB

I started to draw comics when I saw the Brazilian black and white version of his work in "Indeep" with the story of Bruce Jones. That artwork changed my life.

Almost 30 years later I found Bruce in the Myspace contacted him and he gave me Corben´s adress !!

To me, that was like contacting some Olympian gods . :)

I'm finding it VERY hard to believe that he's going to be 70 years old this October.

I'm not kidding about him getting better and better. I truly believe his paintings and illustration are better now than they've been at any point in his career.

Corben's style is so singular that in spite of his work being so popular (especially among artists) there is STILL no one out there that I've ever seen who has even attempted to ape his style.

We all know what I'm talking about, from Frazetta, to Wrightson, to Phil Hale or Moebius; Any artist who reaches a certain level will often find him/herself being copied - that sincerest form of flattery. The afforementioned and MANY others are often imitated but never duplicated. But my God, I cannot think of a single artist that has been able to follow in Corben's footsteps.

The closest I can think of is maybe Danijel Zezelj, but Danijel's stuff is so raw, dark, and visceral, I couldn't actually compare the two. There is perhaps a relationship in there, but I'm not even sure if Zezelj was influenced in any way by Corben.

The point is, here's that rare artist of massive skill and vision who has no equals or pretenders to the throne. There is only one Richard Corben, and no one else even close.

That's just fucking cool.

One of the other things I just adore about Corben's work is that oddball imagination for things horrific.

When Corben creates creatures they, again, look absolutely singular. Like staring at the victim of a car accident, you are repulsed and yet somehow you cannot look away, they draw you IN.

06ircxc6.jpg

And let's not even talk about the subject matter, horror, sci-fi, pulp adventure, post apocalyptic, gothic horror, all these themes are dear to my heart.

I've always felt a tight connection to Corben's work because of these themes, and I'm forever locked into his one of a kind vision.

- TB

Cover to The House On the Borderland -

Great adaptation by Corben and long-time collaborator, Simon Revelstroke.

the_house_on_the_borderland.jpg

Awesome.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I think I was 10 or 11 the first time I saw Corben's work. Not sure, but it was in heavy metal magazine. Even then I could appreciate his work as hypnotic and incredible. He was just one of those artists I was always pulled in by. His work has been a mainstay in my visual arts diet for most of my life.

I don't know if I could say he's an influence though. I just love his work, through and through.

I'm not surprised to read you guys are trying to work with him. I love that you and Tom only seek out top notch established talent for your books. I just friggin' love it!!

:)

Too bad Uncle Forrey didn't live to see the re-launch!

Can't wait to see the whole cover ;)

- TB