Sign in to follow this  
SonOfTheDark

Ironclad

The guys just finished this viral video today.

This came straight to my inbox from director Jonathan English, so please spread the word via facebook and twitter.

Andrew

saw it. Loved it. Purefoy was great. Giamatti was awesome.

Just bought on BluRay and it was worth it ;)

Big kudos for Jonathan English and the great DP, David Eggby (Mad Max, Quigley Down Under)!

Looked great, terrific performances. B Cox is always outstanding, Purefoy RULES, and no one chews the scenery like Paul Giamatti as King John ;)

Too bad marketing had to fuck this one up.

The poster is mostly uninspiring, like some monkey who does TV movie of the week fodder had no imagination, again.

Yes, the tagline is juvenile and unjustified. This is much more of a film than what that truncated-ly implies.

If you like sword and guts movies this is a good bet.

- TB

I picked this up too, slightly to my dissapointmet. I was under the impression it was going to hit theaters, not the store shelf in July. Damn shame.

On the plus side, I now own it. Spectacular little flick. They had an amazing cast in this one as well. Brian Cox was just friggen cool.

Tim is correct on the marketing side. The tag line made me cringe so hard I thought I was going to break my neck. The cover art was uninspired, especially sitting next to Season of the Witch on the shlef. They almost look identical.

Looked great, terrific performances. B Cox is always outstanding, Purefoy RULES, and no one chews the scenery like Paul Giamatti as King John ;)

Giamatti is a bit of an odd choice for the role but he's really great in it. He's absolutely ferocious in the scene where he explains his God given right to be king.

And between this and Solomon Kane Purefoy really should be a much bigger star.

Giamatti is a bit of an odd choice for the role but he's really great in it. He's absolutely ferocious in the scene where he explains his God given right to be king.

And between this and Solomon Kane Purefoy really should be a much bigger star.

I agree completely.

Yeah, Giamatti could have been spectacularly miscast in this film but he turned in a wonderful performance.

I especially like the subdued scenes like when he walks out onto the lake and you can see the anguish lancing his face as the blood drips down his hands.

A major-league tyrant but he believed what he was doing was right, as ghastly as that was.

Shit, scenes like that almost humanized him too much for my liking ;)

While it lent great insight into his character it also made me almost somewhat sympathetic.

Can you imagine what it must have been like to be the King of a great power who let that power slip away to the people?

Had he simply been a good and just King, he'd have never been forced into signing the Magna Carta, so he really only had himself to blame.

- tb

Forgot I saw this flick until I saw this thread! Actually caught it at an AMC theater in southern California. Was definitely intrigued by the men on a mission storyline and medieval setting. Of course the promise of muddy, bloody, sword brawling helps too. Overall a cool flick, capable cast and some decent action. But has anyone seen 13 Assassins? Similar premise, a few fight many to combat a tyrannical ruler leading to a big ass, kick ass last act of crazy action. 13 Assassins just did it a little better.

Yeah 13 Assassins was really great. It might be the best film I've seen in the cinema so far this year. Its a simple story expertly told, with some great performances and a fantastic hour long action scene to top it off.

Yeah 13 Assassins was really great. It might be the best film I've seen in the cinema so far this year. Its a simple story expertly told, with some great performances and a fantastic hour long action scene to top it off.

Totally concur, had the chance to see it twice in theaters and it was magnificent both times. If some of Hollywood's big summer flicks could have infused some of the heart, character and prevalent themes the way 13 did, maybe studios wouldn't be asking why audiences are rejecting 3D movies or not coming out for well publicized affairs like Green Lantern or Cowboys and Aliens. I just sat there with an "aw shit!" expression on my face for two hours during 13 Assassins.

Red State caught me by surprise as well, really enjoyed that. Anybody else seen?

I finally say Ironclad a couple of days ago and my first thought was that there must have been a lot of folks suffering from PTSD during medieval times. Knowing that this was based on a true event made it more engaging. I'm not one for gratuitous violence, but you watch this knowing this is what it was really like. And it was nasty, bloody stuff.