Tim Bradstreet

Dark Country on DVD

Done. Just waiting for it to post. Good God, people are, well, like the one person said about the film, retarded. Does anyone even care what they post for the public to read? If you didn't like it, fine. Just make it sensable, or at the very least ledgable. And what's with the lines of symbols?

I'm not familiar with I-tunes, but I'd be happy to post a review, if I could figure out where to do it. I put Dark Country in the search box and got all kinds of weird things. If someone can give more specific direction on how to get to where I can post a review, I would appreciate it. Sometimes I'm just technologically-impaired. :(

I'm not familiar with I-tunes, but I'd be happy to post a review, if I could figure out where to do it. I put Dark Country in the search box and got all kinds of weird things. If someone can give more specific direction on how to get to where I can post a review, I would appreciate it. Sometimes I'm just technologically-impaired. :(

If it's not popping up when you type in "dark country", click the MOVIES tab at the top. That should get it to pop up.

If it's not popping up when you type in "dark country", click the MOVIES tab at the top. That should get it to pop up.

Thanks. That helped. I did finally figure out how to leave a review there. Pretty sure I signed my life away to iTunes in the process. :blink:

I also left a review on Netflix earlier. The reviews are not so drastically negative there. More of a mix. I threw mine in anyway.

Geoff, I know you've heard it before, but your lighting on both Dark Country and Mutant Chronicles is excellent. How different was it to light something knowing it was being filmed for 3D?

It meant that I would use a slightly more dominant foreground light than I would in 2D.

It seemed to be the way to focus attention where you wanted it rather than use selective focus as you probably would in 2D.

Not a frame was wasted.

JWeber said it best! :D

As promised, I took some notes when I watched it again last night. Some of these probably don't mean anything, but we might find some interesting things here. They are in chronological order.

DRIVING SCENE

- Bitten apple in his passenger seat (much like Gina's in the motel)

- Sheriff says "Leave no turn unstoned" ?

xNLx - interesting breakdown of certain points of the film. I like the bitten apple image. When I saw Gina eating the apple at the start of film, I thought of 2 things: Adam and Eve, with Gina being Eve and biting the apple, and also Gina as Snow White...

I missed that quote from the Sheriff, but it's funny! It makes it sound like maybe Dick's been on a hallucongenic trip with the "stoned" part, but I'm stretching there... :lol:

Jen

Okay, I'm going to ramble on for a bit now, because I've *finally* seen Dark Country during the winter break - and it's a freakin' fantastic film.

I was riveted to my seat for the duration of the film. It's a dark delight of a film noir, psychological suspenser (and more) with tense, totally believable performances from Tom and Lauren German, and amazing images and scenes. The tone, the pace, the visuals, the editing - the way the whole film played out was wonderful.

Tom is a multi-talented artist and his passion and devotion to his craft(s) shines through, especially with Dark Country.

I love how all the scenes were beautifully and intricately lit and shadowed, the color schemes that heighten the overall mood, and the at-times ominous score. While I appreciate the twistiness of the film's end, what I enjoyed most was the interaction and development of the 2 main characters and the aspect of unpredictablity (which was mentioned in the commentary) and the way the film looked.

My one quibble is that Tom should have focused even more on himself in some scenes! :lol: There were times when he was just too much in the shadows...

The 2-people-in-a-car format was cool, but it was great to see all the varied scenes in the film too that break out of that more claustrophobic environment.

Like xNLx before, I'm just going to jot down some of the impressions I had while watching Dark Country:

dreamy, disorienting feeling

smoothly moving shots

intriguing

apple bitten by Gina (referencing Eve or Snow White?)

quote: "weirdos are taking over"

gorgeous images and shots

amusing to see how Dick and Gina are finding out more about each other

It's amazing Dick could drive at all during the ice cube scene :P

interesting how cracks in the facade of characters happens as they blame each other for getting lost, the suspicion

I almost forgot Ron Perlman was in the film til I saw him :lol:

Tom is great when pushed/pressed/under duress

cool car chase scene

definitely keeps up the tension/suspense

Jen

Okay now comes some of my theories and questions...

One way to look at the film and its events is that Dick represents all men and Gina, all women, and the whole film is a metaphor for marriage as an institution that traps a free person into an endless loop of paranoia. :lol:

Another way would be in the Christian religion sense of Dick being Adam and Gina being Eve (representing redemption of man, until that apple-biting scene), and their expulsion from Eden (the motel room).

Or, and I think this was said before, it's all in the twisted, dark terrain of the mind...

I don't want to harp on this too much, but I like to believe in "cause and effect" (action and reaction), so to have this endless loop going and not understand in my feeble mind "how" the loop started (or "where"), is driving me a bit nutty. What *is* the cause of Dick's predicament?

Here's my take: In "reality", Dick has to have killed Gina (for some unknown reason), and then die/transform/be in purgatory after his car crash for Bloodyface to exist. Otherwise, the sudden appearance of Bloodyface makes no "sense".

So, my question is, if that's the case, what happened that made Dick kill Gina? On this Forum others have mentioned trust issues with Gina, and idea of Dick actually being the creepy guy that was stalking Gina - which maybe makes sense, otherwise how would Dick/Bloodyface know anything about that Cheetas place that Gina worked at(?)?

Ack, this all seems like a chicken vs. egg conundrum. :lol:

I'm not sure if I've explained myself correctly or completely here; I do look forward to finding out more about the backstory of the creation of Dark Country. :)

Jen

Okay now comes some of my theories and questions...

One way to look at the film and its events is that Dick represents all men and Gina, all women, and the whole film is a metaphor for marriage as an institution that traps a free person into an endless loop of paranoia. :lol:

Another way would be in the Christian religion sense of Dick being Adam and Gina being Eve (representing redemption of man, until that apple-biting scene), and their expulsion from Eden (the motel room).

Or, and I think this was said before, it's all in the twisted, dark terrain of the mind...

I don't want to harp on this too much, but I like to believe in "cause and effect" (action and reaction), so to have this endless loop going and not understand in my feeble mind "how" the loop started (or "where"), is driving me a bit nutty. What *is* the cause of Dick's predicament?

Here's my take: In "reality", Dick has to have killed Gina (for some unknown reason), and then die/transform/be in purgatory after his car crash for Bloodyface to exist. Otherwise, the sudden appearance of Bloodyface makes no "sense".

So, my question is, if that's the case, what happened that made Dick kill Gina? On this Forum others have mentioned trust issues with Gina, and idea of Dick actually being the creepy guy that was stalking Gina - which maybe makes sense, otherwise how would Dick/Bloodyface know anything about that Cheetas place that Gina worked at(?)?

Ack, this all seems like a chicken vs. egg conundrum. :lol:

I'm not sure if I've explained myself correctly or completely here; I do look forward to finding out more about the backstory of the creation of Dark Country. :)

Jen

Is it just me, or is this film starting to take on a sort of Lost Highway mystique? It seems that everyone has their own interpretation of what's happening in the movie, or what it's about, or what certain things represent. That's exactly what has happened to Lost Highway, which has firmly fixed that film into the pop-culture subconscious because no one can figure out exactly what's going on in that movie. And it seems that DC has begun to take on that sort of life of its own. I'd bet that this ends being one of those kinds of films that is never a huge hit, but it simply sticks around in the public's subconscious for years and years, because it's like a riddle that has more than one answer, and people could debate it forever and never agree on it.

Other than the fact that it's just a damn good movie. :P

See now you all are doing exactly what you should be doing with a film like this.

Yes there are lots of questions on everyone's mind, there is imagery that lead many to believe that there is some symbolism directing us, or subtly pointing the way towards a clean conclusion.

The truth is that it is all subjective, an enigma wrapped in a conundrum. It's supposed to make you ask those questions seeking some answer yet never letting one put their finger on it once and for all.

While it may be true that Tab, or Tom could tell you exactly what their impression is, my guess is that it would be different from yours, yet whose to say that their version of the events is the correct interpretation? Allcock has his take from story boarding the thing, Geoff Boyle has his take, Tom and Tab's are likely similar. But the end result is I think that we hoped there would be a lot of head scratching, not the frustrating kind where it's obvious something was left on the cutting room floor and we're really missing something because the narrative has a certain flow with gigantic holes. No, the head scratching I'm talking about has been illustrated quite well by everyone who has chimed in. Like a great book or mystery the answers are left to the reader's/onlooker's imagination. It's for you to fill in the blanks to make sense of it in your own way. And yes, that is a very Lynchian tool. David Lynch makes art and it'a supposed to be open to interpretation. There are no right and wrong answers it's what you want it to be.

And to that end I think TJ was very successful with this film.

Some people hate it, despise it, primarily because it's asking them to make their own sense of it. They are all too ready to be spoon-fed their drama in formulaic 3 act doses.

They don't know what to do with it. But I'll just bet you that years from now when so many of the haters have evolved and grown more discerning in their entertainment choices they'll still be thinking of this little film that pissed them off so much. They will revisit it and some will fall into a different camp, the camp of people who enjoy something besides surface fare.

Keep watching, keep turning your friends on, help make this film the cult classic it should be someday.

- TB

I got to to see this movie on bootleg (sorry) while I was over in the desert. The Kuwaiti's love to bootleg movies! But, unfortunately I had to watch it on a laptop (with a crappy copy). I got the jist of it though! And I LOVED IT! The guys I watched it with were asking a whole bunch of questions that I couldn't answer and it kinda pissed me off. Why can't they just love the movie and appriciate it like I could? I Just shook my head at 'em and told 'em "they weren't ready for shit like this!" LOL They all laughed at me....apparently you can't tell soldiers fighting in the field that type of shit! :lol:

I got to to see this movie on bootleg (sorry) while I was over in the desert. The Kuwaiti's love to bootleg movies! But, unfortunately I had to watch it on a laptop (with a crappy copy). I got the jist of it though! And I LOVED IT! The guys I watched it with were asking a whole bunch of questions that I couldn't answer and it kinda pissed me off. Why can't they just love the movie and appriciate it like I could? I Just shook my head at 'em and told 'em "they weren't ready for shit like this!" LOL They all laughed at me....apparently you can't tell soldiers fighting in the field that type of shit! :lol:

Unfortunately most of our armed servicemen are more at home with Shoot 'Em Up, Crank, and Warzone.

That's OK, the need for quick, easy gratification is valid too!

Someday they may embrace. Someday when they are safe at home in the arms of their loved ones.

Glad you found your way into it!

- TB

Okay, I think I've finally found the perfect word(s) to sum up how I feel about Dark Country - it's impeccably shot. :D

I can't think of another film where each shot (frame? Sorry I've forgotten the lingo for film) is exactly what's needed for the film. Nothing superfluous.

Jen

It’s taken me forever, but I finally bought Dark Country. I would’ve bought it a few weeks ago, but it wasn’t for sale. A Movie Gallery near me is closing, and they had huge signs declaring “Everything Must Go!”. I was sad to see that they’re closing, but happy because I knew they’d have Dark Country. They did. Two copies. But it was a rental on their New Release shelves, which they weren’t selling. They were still going to rent out those particular movies for a little longer. They were selling the shelves! I don’t think of movies that were released in October of last year as “New,” but I didn’t feel like fighting. I was sad holding Dark Country in my hands and not being able to buy it.

Last Sunday, I saw that Movie Gallery was still open. I went in and saw that everything was for sale. Finally! I go to where I left Dark Country and found only one remaining. I bought it. And now it’s nestled safely on my Thomas Jane shelf. (I organize my movies by actors.) I watched Dark Country last Thursday and watched it with commentary on Friday. I’m so glad Tom did commentary. I wish he could’ve spoken in the featurette. At least Bradstreet did.

What are my thoughts on the film? If I were a top-rate critic writing a review, I’d use one word--“Wow!”. That’s how I felt by the end of it. I’m gonna have to mark this one as one of my favorite Tom Jane movies. Dark Country is so great. It leaves us wanting to know more; I love that it does. Not everything needs to be explained. By not having a totally straight-forward ending, I can make up my own. I’m able to take from the movie what I want. People have different ideas and that’s fine; people shouldn’t have to be forced to change their thinking. Though when I watch it again this Saturday with my mom and brother, I may come up with different theories.

Here’s what I think of everything and everyone in Dark Country:

Lighting/Scenery- It’s called Dark Country, so I expected it to be just that---dark. But there are scenes that are lighted, and I think it was done artistically. I love the shadowing of the characters. I also enjoy the light from the moon and stars; both act as a lovely nightlight for the desert sky. My favorite background is when Dick and Gina are in the car, and the scene of Dick at the diner is behind them.

Music-Wonderful. The music sets the tone for the film brilliantly. If there had been a soundtrack for sale, I would’ve bought it without hesitation.

Dick/Bloodyface- I can’t say I predicted the whole ending, but I did guess that Dick is Bloodyface very early. It was during the fight scene between the two that gave it away. When Dick was looking at Bloodyface, he looked like he realized, if even only briefly, that he was killing himself. I thought Dick turning out to be Bloodyface would be perfect, but I didn’t know I’d be right.

Why would Bloodyface smoke? Dick said he didn’t care for smoking. Was this a way to throw us off the scent?

The Loop- I think the loop starts when they wake up in the hotel. If it wasn’t for the opening dialogue during the ending credits, I’d say the loop begins when Dick first meets the Stranger. Hearing the opening dialogue during the credits makes me think the cycle is starting over yet again. Plus, I think it makes sense that when Dick wakes up, he’s waking up to another chance. How can the loop be broken? I think by staying on 95, the loop will end. By not staying on 95, you take a wrong turn that transports you to thirty years ago. Since Dick has no memory of the whole incident, he can’t stop it. The question I keep asking myself is what number loop are we seeing? Does Bloodyface scream, calm down, and try killing Dick every time? He’d have to right? Why else would Dick kill Bloodyface? I would love to see the first time it happened.

This is how I view the road layout:

Present/30 years ago/Present

Dick and Gina start in the present, hit Bloodyface 30 years ago, and Dick gets caught by the Sheriff in the present. When Dick’s car disappears, it leaves the present and goes back to thirty years ago.

The Stranger- Dick said it best; he’s a weirdo. I think he’s responsible for the loop. He’s the cause of it. Somehow, he leads the couples to the Dark Country. He’s a strange man who gives you directions. Why would you listen to a nut for assistance? You wouldn’t. It’s all reverse psychology. He tells you what to do, and it makes you not want to do it. Who cares that he’s a cop? He’s a dirty cop. Trapping people in a loop is a sick, twisted game to him.

Gina- Who killed Gina? I hate making this decision, but my vote goes with Bloodyface. I’m not saying he meant to kill her. I think he approached Gina, she freaked out, and he tried to grab the gun from her. During the struggle, he accidentally shoots her thirty years ago, placing her now in the present rest stop. Shouldn’t she have blood stains when the cops dig her up? Not if Bloodyface only grabbed her arms and hands; he could’ve easily cleaned her up, just as when they had cleaned each other up when they first arrived at the rest stop. I hate that Gina’s outfit changes when the cops pull her up. Maybe it’s a representation that she’s not always wearing the same outfit each time. And Dick is starting to remember the other times. Why else would Bloodyface kill Dick/himself? He's trying to stop the loop.

Dick‘s Watch- He wouldn’t have had these problems if he had never got it engraved. It’s found near Gina, but why? If Bloodyface never did die, he could’ve escaped the grave, found the watch, put it on himself, and have it fall off when he had to bury Gina. That hole that Dick and Gina dug wasn’t deep at all. It wouldn’t keep someone who was buried alive trapped forever.

The Car- It's one of the coolest vehicles I've ever seen. I don't know if it's some sort of time-traveling machine. But, notice when it speeds up, there's heat lightning, and it goes to a different time. That's all I'm saying. I think the car's very important to the loop. Maybe the Stranger sold it to Gina. If that's the case, I bet he's been selling all of the women their cars. Who knows?

The Sheriff- I think he’s in the loop. Unlike Bloodyface, he doesn’t know that there’s a cycle. The Sheriff has unknowingly played a key player in the game every time. He’s the person who’s responsible for delivering Dick to the grave site. He’s the Stranger’s puppet.

Missing Husbands-The cops can't find the husbands, because the men are in Dick's situation. They're all in their own loops.

I know that Dark Country may not have turned out exactly like Tom Jane had planned, but I love it. A person’s toughest critic is himself. ;)

Dark Country sets a high standard for what an excellent, interesting movie should be in every aspect. Dick and Gina may have taken a wrong turn in the movie, but not seeing Dark Country would be even more wrong to anyone who's a fan of films. Dark Country is a journey the mind needs to take.

Here’s what I think of everything and everyone in Dark Country:

Lighting/Scenery- It’s called Dark Country, so I expected it to be just that---dark. But there are scenes that are lighted, and I think it was done artistically. I love the shadowing of the characters. I also enjoy the light from the moon and stars; both act as a lovely nightlight for the desert sky. My favorite background is when Dick and Gina are in the car, and the scene of Dick at the diner is behind them.

Music-Wonderful. The music sets the tone for the film brilliantly. If there had been a soundtrack for sale, I would’ve bought it without hesitation.

Dick/Bloodyface- I can’t say I predicted the whole ending, but I did guess that Dick is Bloodyface very early. It was during the fight scene between the two that gave it away. When Dick was looking at Bloodyface, he looked like he realized, if even only briefly, that he was killing himself. I thought Dick turning out to be Bloodyface would be perfect, but I didn’t know I’d be right.

Why would Bloodyface smoke? Dick said he didn’t care for smoking. Was this a way to throw us off the scent?

The Loop- I think the loop starts when they wake up in the hotel. If it wasn’t for the opening dialogue during the ending credits, I’d say the loop begins when Dick first meets the Stranger. Hearing the opening dialogue during the credits makes me think the cycle is starting over yet again. Plus, I think it makes sense that when Dick wakes up, he’s waking up to another chance. How can the loop be broken? I think by staying on 95, the loop will end. By not staying on 95, you take a wrong turn that transports you to thirty years ago. Since Dick has no memory of the whole incident, he can’t stop it. The question I keep asking myself is what number loop are we seeing? Does Bloodyface scream, calm down, and try killing Dick every time? He’d have to right? Why else would Dick kill Bloodyface? I would love to see the first time it happened.

This is how I view the road layout:

Present/30 years ago/Present

Dick and Gina start in the present, hit Bloodyface 30 years ago, and Dick gets caught by the Sheriff in the present. When Dick’s car disappears, it leaves the present and goes back to thirty years ago.

The Stranger- Dick said it best; he’s a weirdo. I think he’s responsible for the loop. He’s the cause of it. Somehow, he leads the couples to the Dark Country. He’s a strange man who gives you directions. Why would you listen to a nut for assistance? You wouldn’t. It’s all reverse psychology. He tells you what to do, and it makes you not want to do it. Who cares that he’s a cop? He’s a dirty cop. Trapping people in a loop is a sick, twisted game to him.

Gina- Who killed Gina? I hate making this decision, but my vote goes with Bloodyface. I’m not saying he meant to kill her. I think he approached Gina, she freaked out, and he tried to grab the gun from her. During the struggle, he accidentally shoots her thirty years ago, placing her now in the present rest stop. Shouldn’t she have blood stains when the cops dig her up? Not if Bloodyface only grabbed her arms and hands; he could’ve easily cleaned her up, just as when they had cleaned each other up when they first arrived at the rest stop. I hate that Gina’s outfit changes when the cops pull her up. Maybe it’s a representation that she’s not always wearing the same outfit each time. And Dick is starting to remember the other times. Why else would Bloodyface kill Dick/himself? He's trying to stop the loop.

Dick‘s Watch- He wouldn’t have had these problems if he had never got it engraved. It’s found near Gina, but why? If Bloodyface never did die, he could’ve escaped the grave, found the watch, put it on himself, and have it fall off when he had to bury Gina. That hole that Dick and Gina dug wasn’t deep at all. It wouldn’t keep someone who was buried alive trapped forever.

The Car- It's one of the coolest vehicles I've ever seen. I don't know if it's some sort of time-traveling machine. But, notice when it speeds up, there's heat lightning, and it goes to a different time. That's all I'm saying. I think the car's very important to the loop. Maybe the Stranger sold it to Gina. If that's the case, I bet he's been selling all of the women their cars. Who knows?

The Sheriff- I think he’s in the loop. Unlike Bloodyface, he doesn’t know that there’s a cycle. The Sheriff has unknowingly played a key player in the game every time. He’s the person who’s responsible for delivering Dick to the grave site. He’s the Stranger’s puppet.

Missing Husbands-The cops can't find the husbands, because the men are in Dick's situation. They're all in their own loops.

I know that Dark Country may not have turned out exactly like Tom Jane had planned, but I love it. A person’s toughest critic is himself. ;)

Dark Country sets a high standard for what an excellent, interesting movie should be in every aspect. Dick and Gina may have taken a wrong turn in the movie, but not seeing Dark Country would be even more wrong to anyone who's a fan of films. Dark Country is a journey the mind needs to take.

-Good review Indie...I like your prespective on the whole thing...interesting...

-Good review Indie...I like your prespective on the whole thing...interesting...

Thanks. I tried to solve the Dark Country mystery the best I could. Hopefully, I'm close. B)

Yes, thank you indie for that in-depth analysis from your perspective! :D That was really great and refreshing to read and makes me want to see the film asap again to catch more stuff that I missed the 1st, and 2nd, times around...

Jen

Yes, thank you indie for that in-depth analysis from your perspective! :D That was really great and refreshing to read and makes me want to see the film asap again to catch more stuff that I missed the 1st, and 2nd, times around...

Jen

You're welcome, Jen.

Dark Country is one of those movies that I'll never get tired of watching. You really do take a little more from it each time you watch it.

I just found this great synopsis and review of Dark Country; definitely detailed in the plot convolutions, but it's amazing that the writer has such a firm grasp on the storyline and can explain it so well. Here's the link:

http://www.mondo-video.com/thomas-jane-thrill-ride

Jen

Wow! That was a great review. The best one I've read yet. The guy was obviously paying attention! :D But he barely skimmed the surface of all the mysteries of the film. I gotta watch this again. I haven't seen it in a while.

I celebrated Halloween the best way I know how--by watching Dark Country. I'll never get tired of seeing it. Plus, I always catch something new every single time.

Question for anyone to answer: When exactly does Dick lose his watch?

I celebrated Halloween the best way I know how--by watching Dark Country. I'll never get tired of seeing it. Plus, I always catch something new every single time.

Question for anyone to answer: When exactly does Dick lose his watch?

Sometime during the burial. We never saw the watch fall off, but I believe as soon as he's in the car it's gone.

Something I thought about the last time I watched it but forgot to point out:

It's fun (and fits the cyclical theme as much as the duplicity theme) that the movie is bookended by Dick looking at himself in a mirror at the beginning and ending in two completely different ways.

Sometime during the burial. We never saw the watch fall off, but I believe as soon as he's in the car it's gone.

Something I thought about the last time I watched it but forgot to point out:

It's fun (and fits the cyclical theme as much as the duplicity theme) that the movie is bookended by Dick looking at himself in a mirror at the beginning and ending in two completely different ways.

I watched Dick's wrist during that burial sequence this past time. It looks like Dick loses the watch, then gets it back, and finally loses it again. :blink:

Notice while Dick is drinking water, the watch isn't on his wrist. He rejoins Gina to help finish burying Bloodyface. The headlights go out, so Dick goes back to the car, and he has the watch. (What?) Gina pops up in car, then they drive off.

That watch is really a problem for more than one reason.

I really love both mirror shots, but the first is my favorite because it has the narration over it.

Dark Country's on On Demand for Verizon FiOs and its kept it's value up - it's around $16 to watch (maybe buy? maybe rent? I don't know the particulars). I hope that moolah isn't all going to Verizon!

Jen

I watched Dick's wrist during that burial sequence this past time. It looks like Dick loses the watch, then gets it back, and finally loses it again. :blink:

Notice while Dick is drinking water, the watch isn't on his wrist. He rejoins Gina to help finish burying Bloodyface. The headlights go out, so Dick goes back to the car, and he has the watch. (What?) Gina pops up in car, then they drive off.

That watch is really a problem for more than one reason.

I really love both mirror shots, but the first is my favorite because it has the narration over it.

damn - does he have the watch on when he's drinking the water, after the burial? that a total flub if he does... he's supposed to have lost it during the burial! can't believe i didn't catch that though..