Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Dark Country DVD cover and poster design challenge

We've been discussing this topic in the Dark Country thread but it makes better sense to give it a dedicated thread of it's own.

If you've posted artwork along these lines PLEASE post that work here as well. Easier than going through umpteen DC thread pages to find stuff.

So here's the challenge: We're asking fans to create their own vision of a DVD cover or film poster for Dark Country.

There are not a ton of assets aside from what you can find on the DC thread and the production diary thread but also feel free to use your imaginations.

Doing photo shopped heads is only ONE way to tackle this. Graphic design and a smart brain can work around the issues of little reference.

But there is stuff out there to be had, just research it and look around and you'll find stuff.

We'll be publishing the results on the Official Dark Country web page once it's up and running in a few weeks and your work will be seen by fans of the film worldwide. Make sure you let me know how you'd like to be credited.

Again, please post any previously posted artwork into this dedicated thread.

I believe we still have a couple of weeks but ya better start burnin the midnight oil if you want to make the cutoff.

Let's see what you got. ;)

- TB and TJ

Serious Attempt:

darkcountrydvdprecopy.jpg

Mr. Sparkle Edition:

darkcountryjoke.jpg

The credit block IS fixed in the bigger file, I'm just too darned lazy to make another preview.

And like I said in the official thread, anyone who wants a nice, big ass photoshop file of the Raw logo, hit me with a PM with your e-mail. I can save you a few minutes of work.

Here are some posters I worked up for this.

The first is a teaser, the second two are experimental but I dig 'em.

I'm working on a few other posters commissioned by Tom and will post those when I can.

Note: These posters don't have accurate credits either.

Make sure your billing blocks credit Bob Lambert as editor along with John Lafferty and be sure to add Co-Produced by Karri O'Reilly to your stuff if you want to be accurate.

Unofficial Teaser

Darkcountryposter2f.jpg

Preminger style B

DarkCountryone_sheet2.jpg

Body Drag style C

DarkCountryone_sheet4.jpg

Also, here is the official Tom Jane endorsed logo for the title.

It's fairly big so it should be useful.

DClogo1R2.jpg

- TB

Also, keep in mind the size of your graphics.

The idea here is to show off all the cool fan art inspired by Dark Country but ALSO, you should consider the DVD covers your working on as alternative DVD sleeves.

In other words, when the DVD hits the market you can download the graphics we're all doing and replace the stuff the over the counter DVD comes with.

I think the work we're coming up with will be infinitely preferable ;)

So just remember make the dimensions compatible, re, front, back, spine.

Just pull one of your own DVDs out and do some simple measuring if you need to.

Cheers - TB

I gave it a shot with the jokey Polish poster inspired cover, maybe I'll try for a legit one. Though quality won't be great, considering all I have is a basic paint program to work with.

I gave it a shot with the jokey Polish poster inspired cover, maybe I'll try for a legit one. Though quality won't be great, considering all I have is a basic paint program to work with.

Have you tried GIMP? It's free, and a lot of artists I've talked to have sworn its pretty much like Photoshop.

SonoftheDark, you're doin' good! Try playing around with the lightness and darkness of the image layers, that way your dark parts of the layers will fade into each other. Here's an example:

EXAMPLE.jpg

Keep in mind that I was just working off your image, so if you do this on individual layers, it will look a heck of a lot better.

aww man I love this kind of stuff...but this one is well beyond my meager abilities. So good luck you guys. I look forward to viewing everyones work! Awesome stuff so far!!!!

aww man I love this kind of stuff...but this one is well beyond my meager abilities. So good luck you guys. I look forward to viewing everyones work! Awesome stuff so far!!!!

C'mon man! This isn't so much about abilities, more about having some fun supporting the movie (which seems like we're doing more than Sony...). Photoshopped heads, stick figures, even cool alternate logo designs would be bitchin'! Plus, we're getting our stuff on the official site. How cool would it be to tell your friends you made that poster after watching the trailer or lookin' at some stills?

Can't just rely on SonoftheDark, Mike V, and me to have all the fun!

Here's the finished dvd cover, complete with the official Dark Country logo.

darkcountrydvd.jpg

Tim, that logo fit pretty much perfectly.

And here's the Raw logo:

rawlogocopy.jpg

Anyone worth their salt in photoshop will get that to look good.

Posters huh...

Sony has released some awfully blurry screenshots here, some of which we've had for months. Sigh. Might be useful somehow, but lets see if we can do something with any of these.

Great stuff SoD -

I like that you took a different approach to the color pallet.

And used some shots we haven't seen used yet.

Allcock just designed a few too and he mentioned "Most of it hand drawn baby! I aint got all the nice stills you got tim." Nice grammar ;) ;P

So he's making shit up that fits the program. Hopefully he'll post some smaller versions of his designs here so you can see what he's been up too.

If you have a shortage of ref then start thinking outside of the box!

Here is a link to my DVD cover attempts which I posted in the Dark Country thread - BStreet DC DVD covers

Also, if you missed it - some follow up on specs and dimensions discussed in this post also on the DC thread.

- TB

Fuck...Tim, I'd buy that DVD just for the damned cover, I wouldn't even look to see what the movie was about. The cover totally sells me. It just screams "Hey! This movie is about all the shit you love...BUY ME FUCKER!"...it does, really.

Re-posting my DVD covers here, also Allcock's two DVD sleeves.

Be sure to check over on the Dark Country thread for a bigger look at the final Style "A" and "B" Dark Country poster designs.

Mine -

DarkCountryDVDsml.jpg

DarkCountryCriterionsml.jpg

Allcock's -

customdvdcover_DA_01sml.jpg

customdvdcover_criterion_DA_02sml.jpg

- TB

Tim, Allcock, I fuckn' love your Criterion sleeves! I'm going to have to jump in that boat too.

We're gonna need an awful lot of empty cases to hold these sleeves.

Amazing covers!

I got another one ;)

darkcountryposter05.jpg

I'd say it was cool, if you didn't rip it off from The Burrowers poster.

Fucking exhausted, but I got this done all in one long ass shot:

darkcountrycriterion.jpg

Still have to print it out and check, but the "C" in Country should wrap to the middle of the case nicely. Tim, I'll send you an e-mail with the large files tomorrow. For now, sleep.

So here are my two;

First one being the crappy Polish poster inspired one.

darkcountry.png

And this I'm not too thrilled about, but hey fuck it. I don't know why I decided Jane should look like Zartan, I really don't. Lauren German came out looking pretty bad.

41429776.png

Mike, nicely done, though the blue one is hard to read for my eyes, thanks!

Fucking exhausted, but I got this done all in one long ass shot:

darkcountrycriterion.jpg

Still have to print it out and check, but the "C" in Country should wrap to the middle of the case nicely. Tim, I'll send you an e-mail with the large files tomorrow. For now, sleep.

Nice work Shawn.

Love your front cover, that's thinking like a Criterion designer!

666, ya just couldn't resist could ya ;)

As for the back, I'd love to see you guys create your own spin on this stuff.

Look at some other Criterion sleeves, every one is a little bit different but they practically ALL rock balls.

Move the shit around, mix it up, take the idea and run with it.

I even thought to put little skulls for the bullet points on the special feature listings, but then I decided the X's were too cool.

It could be little moths, it could be little fat circles . . . .

Point is, it's be great if every design was different from the ground up.

Still, slick and dynamite.

Great work everyone!!

- TB

Fixed it, I meant for the writing to be in white. I try to see if I could do anything with Lauren German's face, and without any heavy shadows to work with it, wasn't any getting better.

14627766.png

Nice work Shawn.

Love your front cover, that's thinking like a Criterion designer!

666, ya just couldn't resist could ya ;)

As for the back, I'd love to see you guys create your own spin on this stuff.

Look at some other Criterion sleeves, every one is a little bit different but they practically ALL rock balls.

Move the shit around, mix it up, take the idea and run with it.

I even thought to put little skulls for the bullet points on the special feature listings, but then I decided the X's were too cool.

It could be little moths, it could be little fat circles . . . .

Point is, it's be great if every design was different from the ground up.

Still, slick and dynamite.

Great work everyone!!

- TB

You know, I had to redesign the thing from the ground up, that's why my fonts don't exactly match and some of the logos on the bottom are different. Hell, I even made my own Criterion symbol! I also went the ironic route. A movie called DARK COUNTRY with a nearly all white cover. And yeah, once I was looking closer I saw the 666, couldn't resist :lol:

I'll take another look at the back today, when I get some free time. Might be something as simple as different special features. Oh yeah, I think "possibilities" was misspelled in the originals. I would never have noticed if I didn't end up rewriting all the text.