Sign in to follow this  
brianmcquery

DISTRICT 9

I saw DISTRICT 9 last night courtesy of AICN.

First of all, don't read anything about this flick before seeing it. I avoided as much as I could because I heard really good things and didn't want to spoil it. It's best if you go in cold and just let the picture unfold.

Second of all, don't expect a mind blowing masterpiece. There's too much hype out there already. It is not the best picture of the year, but it is well worth seeing.

I don't want to get into any specifics. This is a good, solid sci fi picture, that is not based on any other media, nor is it a remake or a sequel, making it pretty unique in the marketplace. The effects are absolutely seamless. They're amazing. And when you realize that this picture was made for $30 million and has better effects than G.I. JOE or WOLVERINE, it's a remarkable achievement. A lesson to Hollywood on how to make an event picture at a reasonable price.

Once it's out and people have had a chance to see it, I'll post my thoughts on the film.

Also, here's the short

that inspired District 9, it's what basically got him the Halo job. It's pretty interesting.

This is one of the few movies I'm still looking forward to this year. The others that came before were very disappointing *cough*wolverine, terminator, Transformers *cough*. Is there really going to be a Halo movie?

There was, and Peter Jackson picked Blomkamp to direct it, but everything got put on hold.

I really liked it, and really what the fuck? This movie is able to have completely CG characters that are pretty photo real and have these great expressive eyes for $30 million, and Wolverine couldn't even get fucking decent looking claws with triple the budget.

I really liked it, and really what the fuck? This movie is able to have completely CG characters that are pretty photo real and have these great expressive eyes for $30 million, and Wolverine couldn't even get fucking decent looking claws with triple the budget.

Didn't need the high speed blurring CG of Transformers either.... Crisp and well done.

I'm still shocked that there wasn't any animatronics at all for the prawns.

My two favorite movies this year so far have been this and Moon, and oddly enough both are science fiction. Also that last shot at the end was at the same time, beautiful and heartbreaking.

I love that they had the balls to just cast a bunch of unknowns (and not the typical Beveryly Hills 90210 looking 'unknowns' either) and locals instead of shipping in a bunch of americans with bad south african accents (no offence to my american cousins, but very few american actors can do a foreign accent well... notable exceptions include TJ, his was great in Stander).

I was extremely moved by this movie. It has so many strong scenes. I felt there were lots of metaphors on how we're treating fellow human beings etc. I'm actually a bit ashamed over the $100mill + Hollywood blockbusters out there, because this one just slays all others... I loved Iron Man, but this one really made that one look like shit... And the actors also made shame to alot of the big paycheck hollywood ones! The main actor definitely deserves an oscar nod.

It raised the level of movies imo... Terminator 2, Aliens, District 9.

sci-fi/drama/romance is a great combination for me apparently!

Excellent film with a very natural set up for a sequel - and a sequel I'm really looking forward to as opposed to my usual reaction of "They made a sequal to that??"

The action flowed naturally out of the story, things that were set up early on in the film paid off later, the characters seemed real and, again, character arcs were set up early and paid off later. I thought it was particularly clever the way they mixed CGI and prosthetics and used real South African news footage in some of the scenes.

Definitely one I've been recommending to people.

Edit to say: One of the things I liked most about the film was that it dropped the viewer right in the middle of a complicated and complete world and let them piece things for themselves rather than filling the screen with needless exposition and repetition the way a lot of films do.