TheSuperbeast

The Walking Dead!

Do you think you feel that way because there was less zombie action in the last couple of episodes? It may be a show with zombies, but it is essentially about how people cope with an extreme situation.

Not really no, it's mostly the dialogue/writing. I mean the stuff with Jim worked really great, it probably would have worked a lot better if they saved that stuff for season 2.

Maybe it was too dull to cut through the chain before the zombies got in. I don't know.

One of the characters did say "I guess the saw was too dull to cut through the chain."

Not really no, it's mostly the dialogue/writing. I mean the stuff with Jim worked really great, it probably would have worked a lot better if they saved that stuff for season 2.

One of the characters did say "I guess the saw was too dull to cut through the chain."

Why would you cut the chain, when the other cuff was latched onto a rust covered, mild steel, bolt on a mounting bracket? The chain would be really hard to cut with a hacksaw, but a bolt under tension with threads to provide a guide would be really easy, and possible with a dull blade. In fact if you made it past the half way point, you could likely break the bolt from there.

The fact is that it is just a plot point to tell the story the writer wanted, regardless of the fact that there are several better options other than cutting off the hand. Most likely he cold have broken the cuffs just by continually twisting until there was enough tension to snap them.

I think it is particularly important, when doing genre story-telling, to try and keep away from mcguffins to have a much better chance of broad-market success. My understanding is the audience will forgive one big lie in a story. After that, you start to lose people.

Mike

All in all the first season was pretty good. Good acting, writing, direction etc. There's definitely room for improvement though. With the pilot the show started off strong but it had trouble finding its feet from there. With only 6 episodes the whole season felt compressed. It needed more room to breathe.

And they forget about Merle pretty quick don't they? :huh:

All in all the first season was pretty good. Good acting, writing, direction etc. There's definitely room for improvement though. With the pilot the show started off strong but it had trouble finding its feet from there. With only 6 episodes the whole season felt compressed. It needed more room to breathe. And they forget about Merle pretty quick don't they? :huh:

I'm guessing that both Merle and Jim will show up next season, in one form or another.

This is a surprise: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/26/walking-...+darabont+exits

Frank is stepping down. That really sucks. I hope he still plans on being involved. I know when he fired writers from season one it was because he had to pick up a lot of the slack. I can see where that could get tire-some. Tim, Tom, any news on your end?

p.s. Tim that one-sheet is amazing!

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, my excitement for the second season just went into the toilet.

I think Darabont is one of the best of the best, and I hope this means he has something mindblowing lined up for a feature film.

Very sad news. Hopefully he'll stick with the show in some capacity, as a writer or director.

Hey here's Bradstreet's season 2 poster. Good shit.

walkingdeadseason2poste.jpg

That is awesome! Tim sure delivered a masterpiece (as always). Bravo, Bradstreet! :D

This is a surprise: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/26/walking-...+darabont+exits

Frank is stepping down. That really sucks. I hope he still plans on being involved. I know when he fired writers from season one it was because he had to pick up a lot of the slack. I can see where that could get tire-some. Tim, Tom, any news on your end?

p.s. Tim that one-sheet is amazing!

I was very surprised about Darabont's exit. It's a real shame. It's hard to not associate Darabont w/ The Walking Dead, so I really hope he'll be involved somehow. It seems so early for him to leave, especially since it's really finding a massive fan base.

Thanks for the kind words ;)

As to Darabont's departure -

Surprised everyone.

We were with him all weekend.

Frank and I even talked about who should do the Walking Dead Season 4 poster (Wrightson is doing season 3 ;)

So it was very surprising to learn all this just 36 hours after the show ended.

Frank will still be connected with the show.

And the good news is that this season is WELL in hand.

I'm not sure which episode they are currently shooting but Frank told me himself that he'd likely direct on the back end of the season.

Though not entirely certain if that's in jeopardy now or not.

Frank isn't a guy who burns bridges. May just have been his own burnout or exhaustion.

I'm sure AMC and Frank STILL have an intact relationship unless we find out the whole thing is over creative differences or budget cuts.

Frank doesn't suffer fools, and if the show was in peril of being compromised, THAT'S where I can see him saying Sayonara.

Right now it's all just speculation until Frank is ready to speak about it.

Hopefully we'll see him tomorrow night at Tom's.

The writer's room this season was the big question mark.

Darabont hand picked VERY enthusiastic talent. He was not happy with the way season 1 wound down either.

Thus the firings.

Word from inside is that the new writer's room is kicking ass and taking names.

Also - Frank began season two as very much the creative force. If this season succeeds where last season tapered towards the end, it's because of all the hard work on Frank's part.

From locations to sets to series direction, the heavy lifting for Season 2 is already done, so there's not much to worry about there.

If you're wondering how the loss of Darabont as show-runner will impact TWD then really, that's a question for NEXT season.

The impact Frank has on the front end of a season is immeasurable. The table is set, so-to-speak ;)

So for now, worry not. TWD is fine.

If we can shed any additional human light on this outside of what you hear in the press, I'll post it here provided it's OK to talk about publicly.

- TB

The speculation is over.

Darabont was fired by the know-it-all execs at AMC and now they've cut the magic out of their show.

Read on - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walk...ed-fired-221449

Unfucking believable.

Short-sighted doesn't even begin to cover it.

In light of this, I'd say the show is DEFINITELY in major trouble.

Only time will tell if they land on their feet.

I'm torn, as many of the cast and crew must be.

I want to strangle the execs and almost hope the show tailspins out of control just to show them how they've mishandled this.

But then Nicotero, Hurd, and a large quantity of Darabont faithful are still a part of that show.

Makes me want to pull out all my remaining hair.

Fuck.

- tb

Frank brings in AMC's highest ratings, and this is the thanks he gets? What the fuck is wrong with executives?

TWD has a lot of talent going for it, but Frank brought the vision it needed to get to the screen and look as good as it did. I'm a little less excited about the show now.

Odds are pretty good this season will have a large amount of suckage. Cause lets face it this was great because of Frank Darabont. It will now be come standard zombie fare. They had a chance to make something awesome and decided to settle for average...blows. I done watching it.

Odds are pretty good this season will have a large amount of suckage. Cause lets face it this was great because of Frank Darabont. It will now be come standard zombie fare. They had a chance to make something awesome and decided to settle for average...blows. I done watching it.

I don't know, other than the Pilot that Darabont directed, the series kinda headed into the average territory, and that was with Darabont on the show. The only way were going to find out how much the show suffered is if the first few episodes are great and the back half are shit.

Don't get me wrong Darabont getting fired is bullshit. In my view AMC was poised to become the new HBO in regards original programs, but lately there's been word about them jerking around Matthew Weiner regarding Mad Men, Breaking Bad apparently jumping to another network next season, The Killing getting a second season, and now Darabont being unceremoniously shit canned. In short the network seems to be run by a bunch of cunts these days.

Mike, you make a good point, but part of the reason tension started between Frank and AMC was because of some of the writers on the show not pulling their weight. Frank had to step in last mintue and try to salvage things. Even Frank has said he was not happy with the last few episodes.

Not just The Walking Dead, but it looks like all the other big shows are taking hits from the Suits. That's too bad, because behind HBO's original series, I was putting AMC right at the top. There's far too much reality bullshit out there and it's getting hard to just get them on air. This sucks even more because in the last (almost) decade, original television series have ramped up their game. So much so, that film people are shying away from the big screen for television. That says a lot. You get a station like AMC pulling up to the table, giving us amazing, compelling shows and now that they have sucess and recognition, they are acting like a child with a shinny new ball. Everyone plays their way, or they're taking the ball and going home.

In the artical Tim posted, it sounds like they're threatning everyone if they talk about Frank's departure. That's too bad. I also wonder what will happen to Kirkman? Frank got him involved with the show, and let him in on the episode writing. I hope they are at least smart enough to keep him involved. Time will tell.

I love this quote -

Darabont -- like many showrunners, not known for a small ego or manageable temperament --

What?! Is this actually suggesting that Darabont is an egomaniac with a hot temper?

I know this is the article writer's words but I can't help but feel a bit chagrined and offended.

THAT, my friends, is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Darabont STANDS UP to short-sighted bean-sucking dolts who try and fuck with his show, his cast, and his crew.

He's fiercely loyal and QUALITY comes first. But I guess to greedy executives that amounts to having a bull you can't tame.

Well fuck them. When the ratings nosedive they can start looking for new jobs themselves.

As for the rest of the so-called reasoning on the Network's part . . .

I say BOLLOCKS.

If they were running first in a marathon they just cut off their own legs.

Frank will land feet-first and he'll continue to command the respect he so rightly deserves.

AMC has lost absolute face here.

This whole thing is just an incredible goddamn shame.

It seems about as intelligent as firing Peter Jackson because he went over-budget on Fellowship of the Ring and so the studio hired a journeyman to finish up on that little trilogy thing.

Oh yeah, real smart.

- tb

Through watching his interviews and seeing pictures of him, he never struck me as a hot headed man with an ego. I'll definitely take your word for it Tim. You surround yourself with good people and you're one of the best so I don't see your buddies being dicks. The film industry and especially story telling article writers can really try and fuck filmmakers, actors, etc. over or give them a bad name. This writer seems to be one of them. We need some more Mark Walters-like article writers and reviewers out there I tell ya.

-Raf

Through watching his interviews and seeing pictures of him, he never struck me as a hot headed man with an ego. I'll definitely take your word for it Tim. You surround yourself with good people and you're one of the best so I don't see your buddies being dicks. The film industry and especially story telling article writers can really try and fuck filmmakers, actors, etc. over or give them a bad name. This writer seems to be one of them. We need some more Mark Walters-like article writers and reviewers out there I tell ya.

-Raf

Well the writer seemed fairly sympathetic to Frank as a whole, I just know for a fact that he was off the mark with that comment.

Ask anyone Frank's worked with if they think he could be described as an egomaniac, or hot-tempered, or even egocentric.

The answer you'd get 99.9% of the time would be, "What? Are you talking about Frank Darabont? You must be joking."

And I'm not just talking about actors or cinematographers, I'm talking from the top of the heap down to the electricians and PA's.

I mentioned before, Frank doesn't suffer fools. So if you are a person who goes through the motions but doesn't really work, then there's no room for you on a Darabont set.

If Frank has any kind of reputation for being difficult it'd be with the execs who make decisions based on no more insight than a pocketbook.

That's frustrating, but Frank knows how to play the game. He's been around a long time.

A creator like Frank, fighting for the things he believes are in a show's best interest?

I'll take that kind of dedication, passion, and the reach for excellence that goes with it, ANY DAY.

I mean they've canned Frank for what amounts to what I just described (ridiculous), along with fact that ANOTHER guy dropped the ball directing an episode that Frank was in the process of attempting to FIX.

This guy had worked on the show previously and apparently done a good enough job for AMC to hire him back for another.

Not sure how you can blame Frank for that, especially when he was working day and night himself to correct the situation.

What a bunch of bunk.

Plain and simple greedy short-sightedness. That's the call, and I'm not the only one makin' it.

It's all done now and I KNOW the cast and crew are not happy. They fairly love the man and the fire he brings.

They are keeping their mouths shut cause that's what they've been told to do.

Instead of working for someone they are delighted to please they are now forced to work for the shadowy man in the expensive suit.

Such a shame.

- TB