TheSuperbeast

The Walking Dead!

Source: Variety August 12, 2009

AMC is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Frank Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," written by Robert Kirkman.

Variety says that Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are also on board to executive produce.

The story is set among a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live.

AMC Senior Vice President of Programming Joel Stillerman said the series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels. "This is not about zombies popping out of closets. This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

Hoooooooooooooly crap, best news I've read all day! Whoever put this together deserves a Snickers bar and a liter o' cola. So, TJ and Darabont collaboration, anyone?

If we're talking a mini-series than I could totally see Jane as Rick Grimes, but as far as an on-going series I don't think he would able to do both this and Hung.

Also, if they shoot it in black and white, not only would it be cool, but they could get away with a lot more blood that way.

This was CLOSE to happening at HBO but it looks like they didn't want to become "The Horror Channel".

Hooray for AMC!

And Hooray for Frank. Yer about to see what the man can REALLY do in his favorite genre.

Now I'm going to write Gale to see if I can work on the show ;)

Wow, how cool.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Anything Darabont does is worth my time. I'm there. It could be a show about poodles riding unicycles and I AM THERE!

Darabont adapting Walking Dead, well I would slide through broken glass and hot sauce to watch THAT.

Really glad I don't have to.

:)

Best zombie stuff EVER. I have all the trades over on my bookshelf. HUGE fan!!! I'd kill to work on this one!!!

I seriously don't think they could have come up with anyone better than Darabont. He is just so perfect for this project. He is going to do some great work here. This is awesome news man. It would be twice as awesome to see TB attached to it! Go get em Tim! Put in a good word for Mr. Jane while you are at it. How fucking good would he be as Grimes? Again, I think he is perfect for the project.

I haven't read the comic yet, but I only heard good things about it and with Frank Darabont writing/directing I'm definitely interested! I wonder if it will be an on-going series or a mini-series. Anyway, it would be cool if you could work on it, Tim :)

I haven't read the comic yet, but I only heard good things about it and with Frank Darabont writing/directing I'm definitely interested! I wonder if it will be an on-going series or a mini-series. Anyway, it would be cool if you could work on it, Tim :)

Hopefully the movie will only cover the books in the first Trade-paper. I couldn't get past the 10 page mark of the second...

Tim, you gotta ask Darabont he plans on doing the show in black and white.

Tim, you gotta ask Darabont he plans on doing the show in black and white.

I'll definitely ask him Mike, but it seems such an impossibility.

We have a Darabontism, not a catch phrase or anything like that, just a reference point when some of us in the action can't get a project going that we REALLY believe in. If it simply ain't gonna happen we console ourselves in the fact that Franky D couldn't get the studio to do his ending of The Mist for 30 million so he had to settle for 15 and carte blanch. One of the producers actually said this to Frank (and I'm paraphrasing) "I'll write you a check for 30 million dollars right fucking now. All you gotta do is change the ending." We all know how that ended. But the point I'm trying to make is more clear in this instance -

Frank couldn't get Fahrenheit 451 off the blocks even WITH Tom Hanks. So the creedo is, Even Frank D gets said NO to. And that's how we can live with life's little disappointments ;)

Now I mentioned HBO above. This project was there first and HBO said no to Frank.

Thankfully there is a happy ending. AMC said YES.

I sat next to Gale and Bob Kirkman at dinner this year at FD's annual SDCC gathering and I definitely smelled something interesting going on (and it wasn't the Pepper Fillet), the way they were yapping seemed like something was in the works but I never pressed anyone.

I was too busy laughing myself silly cause Kirkman spilled water all over his crotch, BADLY, I mean it looked like he emptied his entire bladder into his Levis.

He would NOT get up. He stayed rooted to his seat for over 2 hours until most of the incriminating wetness had dried.

I'm still chuckling.

Black and white would be SO cool, the whole shades of grey thing as the project itself lives by.

I just don't hold out much hope that AMC would take the risk. And we all know the stigma attached to anything black and white where audiences are concerned. Too few of us that would embrace the concept. But hey, ya never know . . .

- TB

I'll definitely ask him Mike, but it seems such an impossibility.

We have a Darabontism, not a catch phrase or anything like that, just a reference point when some of us in the action can't get a project going that we REALLY believe in. If it simply ain't gonna happen we console ourselves in the fact that Franky D couldn't get the studio to do his ending of The Mist for 30 million so he had to settle for 15 and carte blanch. One of the producers actually said this to Frank (and I'm paraphrasing) "I'll write you a check for 30 million dollars right fucking now. All you gotta do is change the ending." We all know how that ended. But the point I'm trying to make is more clear in this instance -

Frank couldn't get Fahrenheit 451 off the blocks even WITH Tom Hanks. So the creedo is, Even Frank D gets said NO to. And that's how we can live with life's little disappointments ;)

Now I mentioned HBO above. This project was there first and HBO said no to Frank.

Thankfully there is a happy ending. AMC said YES.

I sat next to Gale and Bob Kirkman at dinner this year at FD's annual SDCC gathering and I definitely smelled something interesting going on (and it wasn't the Pepper Fillet), the way they were yapping seemed like something was in the works but I never pressed anyone.

I was too busy laughing myself silly cause Kirkman spilled water all over his crotch, BADLY, I mean it looked like he emptied his entire bladder into his Levis.

He would NOT get up. He stayed rooted to his seat for over 2 hours until most of the incriminating wetness had dried.

I'm still chuckling.

Black and white would be SO cool, the whole shades of grey thing as the project itself lives by.

I just don't hold out much hope that AMC would take the risk. And we all know the stigma attached to anything black and white where audiences are concerned. Too few of us that would embrace the concept. But hey, ya never know . . .

- TB

I really think AMC is becoming the new HBO, so Darabont being on the same network as Mad Men and Breaking Bad is great (also do you know if Hensleigh is still doing the Red Mars series for them?)

As for the black and white, for some reason I think AMC would be up for it I don't know why, I just do.

Hopefully the movie will only cover the books in the first Trade-paper. I couldn't get past the 10 page mark of the second...

I own all 9 issues of the trade right now and it ranks right up there with

"WWZ" and "Night of the Living Dead" as the best z material EVER.

Fred

The first 3 or 4 TPB are really good reads, but after that I don't know....

The first 3 or 4 TPB are really good reads, but after that I don't know....

8 was so disturbing I could barely stomach it.

It would be a crime if TJ didn't get to play Rick Grimes. That's exactly who I pictured as the character as I read the first trader paperback. I have high hopes for this one, Mr. Darabont is one of my all time favorite directors, and I can't imagine this will disappoint. And yes, I do agree with statements made before, the series is very graphic and disturbing at times, but a fantastic read for anyone who's a fan of the genre. I actually just finished the 7th, and I've got the 8th and 9th ones in transit. I picked up the 10th at my local Hastings!

You gotta be realistic though, I don't think Jane would be able to handle doing 2 TV shows on top of acting in/directing movies. The most I would expect would be a guest spot down the line if the show is a hit.

This is awesome news. It can't be on soon enough for me.

I was at dinner last night with Tom, Frank, Greg Nicotero, and Frank's production designer Greg Melton (The Majestic, The Mist), among others.

It's getting close, as they were talking about preproduction schedules in the very near future, like February. So it's coming up fast.

I bent Greg Melton's ear for good while, what a nice guy (and talented). I'm hoping to get even the tiniest of jobs on this to gain some experience.

Greg was all cool with me at the very least hanging out like a fly on the wall so I could absorb. Be nice to see a real pro do his thing.

I'm pretty positive that Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger are doing all of the practical make-up FX too. Those guys are amazing.

Frank said they are sticking real close to the comic so I know fans will be digging this.

No way Jane can be involved in this (unless by some miracle) since there would be a huge scheduling conflict between this and HUNG.

Smaller part? Guest star? Hmmmm, ya never know ;)

- TB

Since Hung shoots during the spring/summer, the only way for him to be Rick is if they shot it during the fall/winter. But then that wouldn't really give him anytime to do films. A guest spot down the road seems about right or he could be Shane, either way it kinda sucks he would have made a perfect Rick Grimes. The only other person I can really see in the role would be Peter Krause, but I think he's got a new TV show in the pipeline.

Also, that's great if KNB are gonna be doing the effects on it, and you know thinking about, it being on AMC shouldn't really be that big of a problem violence wise - take Supernatural*, that show is able to go pretty far considering it's on The CW. So if Supernatural can have people being knifed in the head/neck among other acts of violence on network TV, I can't wait to see what sort of gags Nicotero and Berger will come up with.

*Just an aside, Supernatural is a really fucking solid genre show that more people should be watching.

This is awesome news. I read the first volume of the graphic novel a little while ago and I knew it would work great as a TV show. And Frank Darabont couldn't be a better fit for it.

*Just an aside, Supernatural is a really fucking solid genre show that more people should be watching.

Hell yes!