Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Dark Country Production Diary Feedback

[Off topic] Street I gotta know (from your own words) why you're leaving Frank Castle. In the above post I elaborated more on my feelings towards this tragic development.

Lookin forward to TJ's Hitchcock movie.

-TL

I'm with you Noeland -

It'll be back to the family trenches for a spell, though much needed.

It truly is a rush but I'm ready for a nice dose of normalcy for a stretch :)

A lot has gone on while I've been away and there will be a lot to do when I get back.

Just trading fires.

TL - Let me pick up the Punisher thing in a new thread which I'm starting over in the TB section.

Meet me there eh?

- tb

Congratulations on completing the filming part of the process. While it sounds like it was a ballbuster at times, it also sounded like it was hella lotta fun. Good luck with the post production (is that what you call it?) and I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product. Keep us filled in on the progress.

Again, congratulations.

Mediumfan

Thanks Mediumfan -

We are indeed moving on to post production.

The film will be edited by Bob Lambert with Tom Jane.

Bob is a classic old school editor of the first degree.

He's worked on "Sorcerer", "The Driver", "The Border", "Three Kings", and "House Of 1000 Corpses" among many others.

There is a lot of digital post production as well since 40% of our film was shot against green screen. We're plating in all kinds of cool stuff. Boyle has to grade key scenes for the guys at Paradise to match and we have a bitch nasty digital FX sequence that still has to be created. There is a TON to do. And we hope to announce our composer soon as well.

In the meantime I'm back to Bad Planet and maybe going abroad to production design another feature.

We'll see what happens. We're also gearing up things to get an early start on "Amateur Kind".

No rest for the wicked.

Incidentally, when Patricia was here for a few days I sent along your regards to her ;)

- TB

congratulations on wrapping and best of luck with post. Bob Lambert seems like the perfect editor for the project and has some top notch credits

Guest FADoss

Congrats on the wrap! Just got back to New Mexico yesterday. Wish I could have been a part of it.

Incidentally, when Patricia was here for a few days I sent along your regards to her

Thanks, TB. You're awesome. Lots of luck with the post-production and with your next feature. Who knows? You may have found a new career in this,lol. :lol:

Incidentally, what type of score are you looking to have for this film? Something dark and moody, like a Hitchcock film? Or maybe something eerie like The Twilight Zone? :D Just kidding.

But seriously, do you have any ideas who you want to do the score yet?

Mediumfan

Guest AdminGuyX
And not for an Academy Award to be sure.

Tim, you're being modest. I saw your death scene in Hart Fisher's "Garbage Man"!

;)

Thanks again for the crazy updates. Man, you're gonna sleep for 3 days when you get home! Every minute of it earned too.

After you do all the stuff you need to do after you get home anyway.

Thanks for all the supportful words.

It was a rough one to be sure. 3 Mill and a 25 day shooting schedule, coupled with being the 8th film in production in NM at the time left us fairly thin on our local talent. And that's not trying to sell anyone short, we simply lacked experience on a certain level. Luckily we had a solid core. Boyle, Howard Smith, Patrick Aiello, Paradise FX, Ray Zone, and the strength of Dave's Storyboards held us together. The first couple weeks were pretty brutal, heck, the whole thing was brutal. But somehow, during the storm folks started to find a rhythm. This film is VERY ambitious at the budget we have and in spite of it all we captured some AMAZING imagery. Tom did an incredible job of getting what he needed and at the same time was very focused on his performance. The only way you do that is knowing the material backwards and forwards. He did a great job with Lauren, and I gotta say it out loud . . . The camera LOVES that girl. She is luminescent.

Perlman was . . . Well, Ron Fucking Perlman . . . What can I say? He's a force of nature.

At the end of the day, Tom is going to have a finished film on his hands that is way bigger in scope, and 100 times more special than 98% of the films that are born out of a similar budget corridor.

3 weeks in, we cut together a sizzle reel (much like a movie trailer), slapped some of our temp music on it and showed it to the cast and crew.

That was a great moment. Our troupe finally got to see with their own eyes how special this thing is. Understand too that this was ungraded, raw footage, in 2-D we were looking at. HUGE applause. It really brought the whole unit together. It was at that moment that everyone realized that their hard work was blossoming into something a cut above. Everyone got on the same page after that. It was pretty cool to watch the whole crew swell with a bit of pride. The rest of the night's shooting went VERY well ;)

To address the music question -

I can't say who it is yet that we've been negotiating with. He has to see some of the rough cut before he can make a decision so it's way too early to announce anything. All I can say is that the guy we've been speaking to since preproduction is an A list composer. I'm a big fan. If we get him it will be a huge victory for us. We can't pay what he's used to so we're trying to sweeten that in other ways. One of the things we have going for us is that he's interested in doing something that is a bit of a 180 from what he's been doing, and we're definitely giving him an opportunity to do that.

I will say this . . . We very much want a Bernard Herrmann vibe. In fact, our key temp opening title track is Herrmann's "Cape Fear". We also want a very eerie underscore vibe to a good deal of the film and the stuff we're inspired by is in the

Krzysztof Penderecki vein. Stuff that simply makes you feel unnerved. Sound textures will be very important in the context of this film. We're confident that we'll attract a major talent to the film once we get the thing cut together. Dark Country should get a lot more attention then a film in this budget range might normally demand. If for no other reason that it will be the first live action 3-D digital feature. But it's so much more than that.

You'll see ;)

- TB

We very much want a Bernard Herrmann vibe. In fact, our key temp opening title track is Herrmann's "Cape Fear

Oh, my God, TB, you just sold me on the whole dang thing! I LOVE Bernard Hermann, and that just made the picture come alive in my head. That is gonna be so awesome when that comes together. Now I'm even more excited to see the finished product. If I wasn't hooked before, then I really am now.

Hope things work out and you get the composer you want. Good luck with that.

Mediumfan

The script kinda worked both ways.

Tab could probably answer this question much more accurately than I.

But, as I understand it, Tab wrote a short story based somewhat on a car trip he took cross country, southwest to northwest kind of thing, through the lonely highways and back country. He then turned that story into a screenplay which at some point he'd shown to Jane. Once Jane got involved the story then evolved into what it has now become. The script was not really dicked with once we got into production. We had a solid thing in the can before the film shot, that is what sold the studio, along with the Storyboards that Dave did which Tom paid for out of his own pocket. He worked VERY hard to get this project off the ground, the boards, the additional drafts, working with Zone for over two weeks to work out the 3-D, working with Paradise and soliciting their involvement, bringing in Geoff Boyle - who incidentally flew from England to meet with Sony on his own dime. There was a massive amount of work involved before we ever got a green light.

And he poured the same dedication into this thing once we went into production.

All of that effort was a byproduct of the strength of Tab's script.

- tb

Not only does all the great stuff you have shown us and told us make me think that this is going to be somthing special, but just amount of faith put into this project by all. Tom really took some big risks before getting the go-ahead. Can't wait until the opener!

Guest AdminGuyX

I gotta say, it's heartening when I hear stuff like:

We had a solid thing in the can before the film shot, that is what sold the studio, along with the Storyboards that Dave did which Tom paid for out of his own pocket.

Because it elevates the process from being business, to being art. I know that probably sound pretentious, but it makes me like Tom Jane that much more. Very cool.

And I'm already developing a stalkerish love of all things Geoff Boyle. I watched him over on the mutant chronicles website talking about Zeiss lenses and I geeked out like a 4 year old girl at a doll convention. I may have even screamed. ;) The man is obviously an effortless master of his trade who makes everything complicated look super easy. I just want to follow him around and learn!

Knowing that he gives a shit enough to fly himself to the states for a single meeting, and knowing how most wouldn't have done that, man, I might have to start a fucking fan club already!!!

Anyone else up for joining the Geoff Boyle fan club????

Just a quick note in case folks are wondering what happened to the Production Diary thread.

We've been asked to remove it by our bosses until they have had a chance to approve some of the content.

I was under the impression that I had not crossed any lines but it is after all a lot of information, and people have to make sure we're not giving out too much. I have absolutely no problem with that as it IS their property.

So bear with a for a day or two while we sort this out. We're hoping that our grass roots promotion will be allowed as we think it's important for our fans a friends to see what it is we're doing. We're all very proud of Dark Country and we simply want to spread the word and get people to go out and see it at the theater in 3D when it is released.

And thank you all for the overwhelming positive feedback.

- Tim Bradstreet

Guest AdminGuyX

Hope they give you guys the green light. That production diary rocks man. I guess I can understand why the bosses might want to review it, but here is to hoping they don't censor it!

After a few talks with the powers that be, my understanding is that we have no problem and should be allowed to re-post the Production Diary within the week. I'm just waiting on an official letter from Sony so Tom and I are legally protected.

I've got everything saved and all I gotta do is copy and paste it all back in.

We should be rolling again soon.

- TB