Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Dark Country Production Diary Feedback

Guest AdminGuyX

Geoff, just post up pictures of naked women while you're at it! :) For tech heads like me, that's like reading a penthouse forum letter!! HAHAHAHAHA. Thank you so much for jumping in and adding such a wealth of info. Man, I'm in awe, and wish I were there to see it all.

And for any camera, especially 3D, to shoot a feature film and to be that small, I'm so jealous! I love all manner of cameras, but I've never shot anything in 3D.

I cannot even wait to see this film, and guys, feel free to do a techincal documentary about the cameras. Honestly, I'd love it.

Didn't know about the Samsung TV. That's a pretty great idea.

And how cool would it be to see a member of this board who's not part of RAW in the film? VERY COOL. Good Luck. Break a fucking leg my man.

Everyone, THANK YOU!

There was this big fight going on directly in front of the hotel. It's a brawl that started after they closed the bar. A few guys were really going at it hard and it was messy. Crowe walks out the front door, stands there for a few moments taking in the bloodbath, then, to nobody in particular says "That is fucked up", turned around and went back inside. I'm not sure if that counts as a funny story to those of you reading it but the way this dude described it to me it was pretty priceless. Just deadpan, "That is fucked up", and exit. I know . . . It doesn't translate.

Lmao, TB. Yeah, it translates! I can totally see that. That is funny!

Anyway, back to the production diary. This is really fascinating stuff and it's a very interesting read. I look forward to more of your posts. It's so cool to hear all this technical stuff that goes into making a movie, especially for someone like me who isn't in the business and has never seen or heard this kind of stuff before. Keep it coming, man. I'm lovin' it.

And thanks too, to Geoff Boyle for that wonderful and insightful breakdown of the shootiong process and the cameras and such. Again, it sounds like RAW is on the cutting edge of film technology and this could very well be the next wave in filmmaking, and you guys are at the forefront of it. That is awesome. It's kind of like watching a baby being born. It's so exciting.

Like Noel, I am also a big camera buff, so all that technical stuff was really interesting for me to read. Hope to hear more from Boyle and maybe some of the other principles behind the scenes.

Keep it up, guys. This is freakin' awesome!

mediumfan

I think it's called being at the bleeding edge :-)

This is so much fun for me, I get to work with Dave's storyboards again, which are just so good it is really amazing. I almost feel that we've added a canyon chase just to be able to shoot something that hasn't been boarded! :-)

Tim's input as to the llok is invaluable andwe're really shaping something wonderful here.

I'll email Tim the grade for one of the early shots and he can add it.

We graded with a combination on Iridas SpeedGrade OnSet and Tiffen DFX.

Neither of these are expensive, about $200 each.

The great thing is that anything we do in SpeedGrade can be directly input in to the final look.

Geoff

glad you're having fun Geoff. All this praise! My head has swelled to gigantic proportions and I fear it may explode in a splashy scanners style. Canyon chase sounds interesting......go on....go 'board-less'.

Damn I wish I was there seeing it all come to fruition.

D.

Guest FADoss

Sounds like everything is going well. Let me know when you have time for a beer...or breathing even. :) It's those days that make me glad I'm an actor...

Though a sick part of me is leaning toward producing now. :blink:

Frederic

Streetie Pie!

Man, I didn't know that Bernie was doing concept work for this....I can only imagine the complete goodness. Really enjoying the production diary, nice work!

--Jeem!

Guest FADoss

You guys cast Chris Browning for this? He's great! I met him on callbacks for the role of Ron Spencer on Linewatch. There were only 5 of us, I think that got called back. Seemed like a GREAT guy and is working his butt off up there in ABQ.

Frederic

Yeah, Chris is awesome. We had planned on engaging a more recognizable actor for the role.

There are something like seven films shooting in Albuquerque currently so we were looking to recruit someone already in town. We thought about Ed Harris (but he was too busy directing), Val Kilmer (looking a little too chunky right now for our purposes), Stephen Dorf was mentioned . . . Hell, we even thought about going over to "The Spirit" set to talk Frank Miller into coming over and playing for a few days. We looked at a lot of things but in the end we went for Chris Browning, who really does works for this role. We sacrificed name recognition for casting physicality, and I think we made a great choice. Chris seems a real nice fella too, which is a huge bonus.

News on our double secret "other" actor soon!

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Reading your production diary gets me jonesing to go out and start shooting something right NOW. I haven't shot anything dramatic in way, way too long. But soon enough!

I'm enjoying the diary immensely Tim, and would really like to say thank you for taking so much time out of what is already a jammed packed schedule to keep all of us in the loop. It's an out of the ordinary thing you're doing here, and I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say THANK YOU!

I send Harry Knowles the damn link already, he isn't too far from you guys! I'd love to see a set report over on AICN!! I'll keep badgering him about it.

How cool is that 61 dodge? Man, I got a big dumb smile just seeing those shots. Really cool.

Here is to hoping the reds start to get their act in gear!! ;)

Making a film is always pure problem solving, because once the train has left the station you can't go back, so you really need to make sure you have a lot of creative "problem solvers" on the crew. You gotta' be ready, at a moments notice, to figure out 25 problems at once, pull the trigger on them, and move on as soon as they are put to bed.

As prepared as you might be, there is always going to be an unforeseen element. Which, honestly, is why I love doing it so much. It gets the blood pumping man, it keeps the mind sharp. It's the most satisfyingly exhausting thing in the the world. :) I know, I know, grammar and all that.

Keep on truckin'. Can't wait to see you ply the new skills your learning on your own film one day!

Noeland-------------

Guest FADoss

By the way, I'll be up in Albuquerque tomorrow for an auditions workshop. Would love to come play with you guys.

Drop me a line.

Frederic

Man, I got exhausted just reading all that you've been doing the last few days. It sounds like y'all are running on adrenaline and grit! Take care of yourselves.

Wow, the last couple of days sounds exhausting. I get tired just reading about it. Hope all is going well, and you get all the bugs worked out soon.

Take care out there in the desert. Watch out for those Death Spiders. :lol:

By the way, I love the soda machine in jokes. Those are TOO funny.

When does "The Mist" premiere in NY, TB? I'm anxiously awaiting more news on that front, as well as the national release. I can hardly wait.

Mediumfan

Keep the updates comin'. This is almost as much fun as being there, I bet.

Lookin' gooooooood! Great to keep up with events via this blog......feel like I'm there. Love all your photos Tim and a big shout out to Ray for his 3D posts and 3D photos - really nice. Just think of all the special features on the dvd!

I'm thirsty, off to buy some Raw Cola.

Ray #D Zone wrote, "To prepare for 3D filming Tom and I spent two weeks hand-coloring the storyboards of the film creating a "Color Depth Graph" for every shot. Elements that were colored Red and Orange come off the screen into audience space with Yellow at screen plane and Green, Blue and Purple going back, successively, into deep space behind the screen. This 3D Bible put Director of Photography Geoff Boyle, Camera Operator Howard Smith, and 3D Technician Max Penner on the same page for screen composition in depth."

Sounds like a "rainbow bible." :) I'd love to see a pic of one of those storyboards. I hope that's in the DVD extras.

We wrap mid December. Film will be released anywhere from June to October '08.

First word was we'd open beginning of summer but I've also heard early fall.

Keep your eyes peeled for a new podcast end of the week with special guest Ray 3D Zone!

- TB

crashed car in last post looks very cool. Nice moody, ominous lighting on that one.

Nice tagline on the B poster.....where'd you get that from Timmy?!

I can hear the soundtrack already.....I'm getting early Misfits ('Last Caress'?).....Cramps....Jon Spencer Blues Explosion......good old twisted blues and eerie rock 'n' roll to fit the timeless 50's/60's vibe. All mixed in to a disturbing Krzysztof Penderecki type score

Holy Smokes... I know I've been absent a bit. But hot damn, boys. I love the Production Diary. Keep the updates coming, Tim. Love everything I've seen and heard so far. I know those cold nights are a bit rough, but from what I'm seeing. the runny noses are probably worth it. And whiskey is your friend.

Saw the casting news first over at bloody-disgusting.com

I knew big Ron was gonna be thrown into the mix. Nicely done.

And Lauren German, good night! Didnt care for Hostel II, but that was noteably due top the film itself, and not the actors/actresses.

The RAW cola design, nice!

Liek I said, keep the updates coming. Love seeing the film build like this, from start to finish. I'm really hoping this project elevates you guys to level you deserve to be in.

And who I gotta bribe to get a RAW shirt around here?