Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Dark Country Production Diary Feedback

Sorry I've close the topic of the "Production Diary".

It's necessary so I can keep it up like a little blog update.

If you'd like to comment on this subject feel free to do it here.

We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers - Tim

I just want to say thanks for taking the time to do this. It's an interesting read. I'm looking forward to looking through your perspective at the making of the film.

I'll add my thanks to that, TB. It is a very interesting read, and it's cool to see what goes on "behind the scenes", so to speak, of making a movie. Look forward to hearing more about the process. I'm also impressed to hear about TJ's work ethics, though I'm not surprised. I've long suspected that he was a very hard-working guy with a strong sense of ethics and such. It's good to hear that there are still people in Hollywood, who aren't willing to "settle" when they know it could be better.

Keep up the good work. Have fun and stay safe in the desert. Watch out for scorpions!

Mediumfan

sounds like the three-headed creative machine have a lot on their plate....but they shall devour! good luck to the whole team, I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress. Just follow the storyboards man its all there! (he he)

Say hi to Boyle for me.

D.

Guest AdminGuyX

I love this kind of stuff. I'm one of those people who listens to directors commentary, reads the blogs, and will watch behind the scenes documentaries as often as I watch the films themsevles. As I've said before, an artists process is very important to me, and this kind of thing documents the process.

And hey, congrats on the promotion Tim. No big surprise you're thriving. Hopefully you'll get to add a commentary and your many photos to the DVD release. I'd love to see a BTS that shows what the diary entries talk about on the DVD too.

Oh, by the way, very much looking forward to hearing more about Geoff's work on the project too. I've seen a lot of his work, and I agree he's amazing.

Nice texture in the motel exterior photo.

Sorry about having a pool full of black crud, but I'm glad to hear your family is okay and didn't have to evacuate. You should all relocate to middle Tennessee. There's a lot more to Nashville than country music. No threat of tsunami. If an earthquake hits the New Madrid faultline, we won't fall into the ocean. We don't have a fire season every year, even though we did have a drought this year. It's been raining the last few days. And some folks even film them there motion pictures around these parts. Ask Reese Witherspoon. She grew up around here. Added bonus - you can get a lot more house for the money. There's a reason Nissan moved their headquarters here from California.

Anyway, thanks for the update. Sounds frustrating and fascinating at the same time. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you've taken pictures of locations that you're going to reproduce on a set someplace else. (The motel, I guess.) When you do that, do you take measurements to make sure you have the scale right?

Thanks for letting us know what's up Street, you're a dependable character. And look, even though some material things are very important to us, they're still just material things. Its the KUNG FU mentality. You can always rebuild - or in this case clean the pool. TJ's lookin pretty satisfied in that pic, but where are the pics of Tim Bradstreet's satisfaction??? Don't forget to turn that camera on yourself once in a while. Best of luck to your crew,

-TL

Thanks for the update, TB. It sounds like you guys are deep into it, and really have a handle on it. All this is just making me that much more excited to see the movie. When's the expected release date? I know it'll be a while, but I'm just curious how long it takes from pre-production to release.

Glad to hear that your family and all are safe. I hope everyone else in the RAW world fared as well or better. How are Thomas and Steve's families? Hope they are all safe and well too. Take care and God bless.

Mediumfan

yeah, gotta offer my sympathies as well. sorry to hear your pool got fucked up but good that the family didn't have to evacuate. How is Tom's place back in LA?

Tim you are a gentleman. thank you very much for the kind words in the DC diary and shining that spotlight, most appreciated. As I said before, I'm pleased the storyboards and art are proving to be useful and that I've had such a significant hand in proceedings. All the best for shooting.

D.

TB, it is so fascinating reading about all the "inside" stuff that goes into making a movie. Thanks for letting us have a peek behind the scenes. The storyboards sound interesting. I've heard of them but I'm not exactly sure how that works. Is that a template for how the movie will look? Is each shot drawn out beforehand? Or is it done scene by scene? How detailed are the storyboards? And what Tom did with the color coding sounds cool. It almost sounds like this thing could be made into a comic book or graphic novel. Is that something that you guys have in mind down the road? And when this movie goes to dvd, will the storyboards be included? I know that's a loooooong way off, but I'm just curious if that's something you guys have started thinking about already.

Sounds like you guys really have a handle on what you're doing. I'm sure you'll do fine without Tom there looking over your shoulder every minute.

Mediumfan

Guest AdminGuyX

Mediumfan, if you don't mind me jumping on and giving my two cents on the subject (and if no one else minds at that)

The details involved with storyboards (I've done them for a few films) depends entirely on the artist, the director, and the DP, and how much they need/want and also how the artist interprets the shot list and script. In my experience every director focuses on certain moments they want to visualize and discuss, but it's not every single solitary shot, it's not like a comic book in that way. But in others, it's very much like a comic book.

Generally "coverage" is not storyboarded. Sometimes they previz the action sequences instead of storyboarding them. Previz is actually pretty cool too. But storyboards can get films greenlit that otherwise would not have, as it really helps producers and studios "visualize" what to expect from a film.

Pick up a copy of "The Art of The Matrix" for an example of how to do storyboards the right way. It's a great book otherwise too. And this website might also help you understand storyboards a bit more.

http://www.storyboardsinc.com/

David, it was great to peruse the work on your website! I love it. The Mutant Chronicles stuff looks so cool I can't even friggin' stand it! No one has done a balls out sci-fi military film in so long! You've been invovled with some kick ass projects and you can go ahead and consider me officially jealous! ;)

Thanks for the feedback, noeland. That's interesting. I've seen that book that you mentioned on Amazon, but I wasn't sure what it was about. Maybe I'll look into it. The whole process sounds really fascinating to me, mostly because I'm not in that industry, so it's all new to me, and it's very interesting.

Mediumfan

Noel, thanks for the kind words and glad you like my work. It has been fantastic working on Mutant Chronicles and Dark Country...2 great projects and great people involved. I count myself very lucky.

....I'm sure if you guys ask nicely, Tim might post some production art in the near future. Personally it would be great to see the storyboards on the dvd or hey, maybe RAW could publish 'the bible' as part of a 'making of' book!!!!

....I'm sure if you guys ask nicely, Tim might post some production art in the near future. Personally it would be great to see the storyboards on the dvd or hey, maybe RAW could publish 'the bible' as part of a 'making of' book!!!!

That sounds like a great idea! How about it, Tim? Any chance of seeing some of your production art in the future? That would be so cool.

Mediumfan

I have a question that would be more for the DP, I guess. Dark Country is going to be 3D in theaters, but will have to be 2D on DVD, right? Are two sets of cameras going to be rolling for each shot? Or do I have this all wrong?

Guest AdminGuyX

Back in the day, you couldn't watch 3-D without those wonderful glasses, but I'm not sure that's the case any longer. And I think since they're shooting digital, it may be a simple matter of reformatting the digital output for "normal" viewing.

James Cameron was developing some new technology for his next film that was supposed to be digital 3-D, so I wonder guys, is this the same technology?

I'd love to know for sure too! Great question KS. :)

Guest FADoss

Hey Tim,

I heard through the grapevine that filming was to start this Saturday...seems awfully soon looking at the production blog. Maybe I missed something.

Is this accurate?

Frederic

Shooting does indeed begin Saturday.

We've been on a two day tech scout which concluded today with all our cameramen, grips, etc . . .

All pertinent crew. All our locations are airtight. We're still making adjustments to the schedule, most of which will be resolved sooner than later. Lauren flew in today so the party's about to start. We haven't cast everything yet but that won't hinder us from the first 3-4 days of filming. In the scheme of things we're in real good shape. Moves are in place to put us over the top with our cast and we're all getting antsy to begin. Keep your fingers crossed Fred, our Line producer has your info and as far as I know, no moves have been made yet on anyone but the 4 main characters.

Stay tuned to the production diary as we will have a guest speaker VERY soon.

- TB

Hi Guys,

OK, some basic technical deatiul, I'll add to it later :-)

In the past, and in fact right now in every case except Dark Country, 3D cameras have been huge beasts, the dinosaur that Tim referrred top earlier is n fact an old rig that we've put modern cameras in. It's the same rig that was used on T2 3D edition!

We've removed the film cameras and added a couple of Red's. This is very much our second unit camera.

Our main camera's are ones that have been built from scratch and have never been used for 3D before.

Whem we shot the 2nd Unit and Miniatures of Mutants we had a prototype camera to play with, and by prototype I really mean that! software upgrades every day, often twice a day, mechanical tjhings very rough. It was great fun to play with and it was TINY! Silicon Imaging had taken the sensible approach of separating the image forming bit from the image processing bit.

You then get a tiny camera head, about the size of 2 packets of Marlborough.

We did great thinbgs with it but I ghad the idea in the back of my head that this could revolutionise 3D, I sadi so at the time in a number of articles and on-line posts.

Fast forward 12 months and Paradise FX are building a 3D camera based on the SI Mini.

The camera has full interocular adjustability and is just so small I could cry.

The first version was delivered on Saturday from the machine shop and is still being finished by Paradise.

A second even smaller rig has been built by Howard and we will use this one for the really agressive camera work.

This is a fixed parallel design so the minimum distance from an object that it an be used is about 5'

In theatres you'll need polarised spaecs to watch the film, exactly the sane system that Cameron is usung.

As for DVD I think that there will be 2 versions, 2D which will be right eye only and a 3D Anaglyph that you can watch with Red & Cyan specs.

Of course if you're in the market for a new TV then Samsung have a 56" set that works in 3D with mechanical shettered specs, it is truly amazing.

More later, I've got to go and wrestle Condors & Gators, apparently I'veasked for too many :-)

Geoff