Sign in to follow this  
linworkman

John Ostrander charity medical auction at Chicago Comic-Con

Not really RAW news, but important news regarding one of my favorite comic creators-

John Ostrander charity medical auction at Chicago Comic-Con

I just saw this link on the Comic Geek Speak boards and wanted to share-

http://www.comix4sight.com/

There will be a charity auction the evening of Saturday August 8th at the Chicago Comic-Con to help cover John Ostrander's recent eye surgeries. I sent the link around to the media and comic contacts I had, and posted it on a few more boards. I'm contacting them to see how to donate some art for the auction.

John’s asked that if funds are raised above his surgery needs, that any excess money is to be donated to The Hero Initiative to help them continue to help comic creators in their times of need.

If I find out any other news I'll let you know.

My friends and I have been very lucky to hang out with "Uncle John" here in Memphis and most recently in Metropolis. If you ever get a chance to take part in one of his writing seminars- do it!

He's a great guy, a terrific writer, and a heck of a friend.

Lin

IMG_9344.jpg

IMG_9217.jpg

IMG_9339.jpg

FYI for those (like me) who can't attend the Chicago con. If you follow the link at the bottom of the page there is a button to donate.

Starting with but certainly not ending with John's work on GRIMJACK, I have been a fan forever. One of my favorite lines in Grimjack comes at the end of a story in which the hunted guy has the drop on Grimjack but kindly let's him go. Grimjack in return shots and kills him. When asked why he says, "There's just some shit I don't have to put up with" I LOVED THAT FREAK'N LINE!!!! It floored me, had me going for days.

So this gives me a chance to say thank you to him for all the years of enjoyment his work has given me. And I'm so sorry to hear of his trouble, cause Mr. Ostrander, there is some shit you just should not have to put up with.

Thanks for all the great stories over the years and I'm really looking forward to the new GRIMJACK due out soon.

Guest AdminGuyX

I had no idea he was struggling like this. I won't be able to attend the Chicago show either, so I'll have to make a paypal donation too. Thanks for the info, and the link, and here is to hoping John overcomes this, and doesn't lose his sight.

He's one of the reasons I love comics as much as I do. Grimjack was, and always will be, one of my absolute favorite comics.

So far it looks like between the auction and donations they've raised over $30,000- and there's still more art that will go to an on-line auction!

Some friends of mine were up in Jersey this week and had dinner with John and Mary. They're supposed to be back in town today so I'll be sure to ask how John is doing. He seemed good when I saw him in Metropolis back in June, so hopefully the surgeries did their job. John's a great writer, and an even greater human being. Just a super guy and a blast to hang out with. If you get a chance to go up to him and say hi at a con do it.

Lin

So far it looks like between the auction and donations they've raised over $30,000- and there's still more art that will go to an on-line auction!

If you get any info on the online auction, please post it here. Thanks.

That's great news man. Thanks for sharing it. Much appreciated.