Sign in to follow this  
ReCoil

Ryan Reynolds soon to be the Green Lantern

Warners and Campbell chose Reynolds, who vied for the superhero role along with “The Hangover” star Bradley Cooper and Jared Leto. The momentum built for Reynolds in the last week, as he was the only actor whose option was extended.

Greg Berlanti wrote the script with Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green. Donald DeLine will produce with Berlanti. Reynolds’ reps at UTA are working out his deal

Variety Reports

Hope this doesn't get in the way of Deadpool.

I think this is a dumb move. He should stick to Deadpool and leave it at that. Plus he wanted to play the Flash on the DC side of things.

Thing about me is, when it comes to the film, I don't support an actor playing a character from Marvel and then playing a character from DC. As stupid as this sounds I always think "No they can't do that, what if they have a crossover?".... Granted I HIGHLY doubt a crossover movie will ever happen but that's just how I think of it. Is that too childish? I don't give a shit ;)

Love Martin Campbell, have for a long, long time, since Edge Of Darkness.

I like Ryan Reynolds, how can you not?

I like Green Lantern, especially the old Neal Adams issues ;)

And somehow I'm not interested by the announcement of this movie in the least.

I'll wait til it comes out and check the word of mouth before deciding to skip it though.

It may just be pretty cool, really depends on the story and the tone of the film.

If it's just more formula popcorn then I could care less. We'll see.

Martin Campbell may be the deciding factor.

- tb

I'm fine with Reynolds in the role, though I can't deny that I think it would have been interesting if Timberlake got the part.

Martin Campbell. Green Lantern. I'm interested. Not dying to see it. Add Ryan Reynolds to the mix and it's gonna have to be amazing to get me there.

Why does he keep getting cast in movies? At best, he's mediocre.

Anyone see his serious performance in THE AMITYVILLE HORROR? Yeah, it's not good.

Has he opened a movie since VAN WILDER 7 years ago?

Martin Campbell seems to have good taste. My guess is that Ryan was shoved down his throat.

Apparently it was between Reynolds, Timberlake and Bradley Cooper.

Reynolds doesn't seem like a tremendously gifted actor, but he is fairly enjoyable to watch, more of an entertainer, at least at this stage of his career.

If he was interested in serious acting roles he wouldn't be taking Green Lantern.

He doesn't seem like he takes himself too seriously which is why I appreciate him to a degree.

He's like the guy who would be a great friend, life of the party, but he's no Gary Oldman.

He could say no to this type of stuff and go after Mark Ruffalo roles (though I'm not crazy about Ruffalo per-say - just an example), or something in that neighborhood but he seems content to be who he is, which isn't very far at all from the characters he plays, at least from my perspective.

Amityville may have been a seriously toned movie but it's Amityville for fucksake, that's still B grade horror so not like it's a showcase.

If Kubrick directed we'd be talking a different story but I doubt he'd have cast Reynolds either ;)

- tb

This,to me, is also a bit awkward with him being the whole Deadpool thing and switching from Marvel to DC. I don't really know what to think yet I mean, somehow, it could work eh?

Guest AdminGuyX

I don't have any real strong feelings about Reynold's one way or the other. I appreciate that he is a comic book fan, and is trying to be in every comic book movie ever. He's probably going to be the next superman, and will go all Tropic Thunder for the next Blade film and will BE Blade. ;)

The chicks like him, a lot according to my wife any way, and that's his appeal. Mind you, my wife met him in person, and despite his bright orange fake tan (which is wholly on display in Definitely, Maybe) she said he is charming, friendly and disarming.

I thought he was awkwardly out of place in Smokin' Aces, but the whole movie was sort of awkward and out of place.

Amen on Smoking Aces. Chris Pine was the gem in that one. I dig Reynolds. Like Noeland said, if anything else he seems like a genuine human being and fellow geek.

He's probably going to be the next superman, and will go all Tropic Thunder for the next Blade film and will BE Blade. ;)

Okay, now we're talking! :lol:

I suppose if Christian Bale can be both Batman and John Connor, then Ryan Reynolds can be Deadpool and The Green Lantern and all of the above. No harm, no foul, these days.

And, yup, the chicks do indeed dig him! ;)

I suppose if Christian Bale can be both Batman and John Connor, then Ryan Reynolds can be Deadpool and The Green Lantern and all of the above.

Not sure how Christian Bale relates...unless Bale were to also play Bucky in the new Captain America movie...except that after Bale signed on they would make sure to rewrite the script so that Bucky would be the main character. :)

Not sure how Christian Bale relates...

Agreed.... John Connor is not a comic book character. If the Terminator were a popular Marvel series then it can relate. It is not though.

I have no doubt that Reynolds will be a good Green Lantern, it's just that I don't want to see him in that role. He should only be Deadpool in my opinion. I never looked and him and thought "yeah he'd be a great Green Lantern"

-Raf-

Agreed.... John Connor is not a comic book character. If the Terminator were a popular Marvel series then it can relate. It is not though.

Fred & Raff, it relates to me because I am thinking of fictional iconic characters not just comic book characters ... which I knew y'all would bust me on! ;)

Fred & Raff, it relates to me because I am thinking of fictional iconic characters not just comic book characters ... which I knew y'all would bust me on! ;)

I'm with you there, Jayesse. I think it's the difference between folks who are really into comics and those who are not so much. I wasn't thrilled about Bale as John Connor because that is an iconis character to me. He was already Batman.

As for Reynolds, he's only come on my radar recently. He's okay, but doesn't do much for me one way or the other.

I'm with you there, Jayesse. I think it's the difference between folks who are really into comics and those who are not so much. I wasn't thrilled about Bale as John Connor because that is an iconis character to me. He was already Batman.

As for Reynolds, he's only come on my radar recently. He's okay, but doesn't do much for me one way or the other.

Thanks, k - yeah, I'm just really into film and characters, and the actors' process / role selection ... I do get a kick out of Ryan Reynolds, though - loved him in Blade: Trinity, but haven't seen Wolverine yet. I do think it helps if the actors / writers / producers / director are comic book aficionados (or at least sincerely aware) when bringing comic characters to life - something about love and / or respect for the source material (unlike one director who shall remained unnamed in another thread ;) ).

I didn't care for him because he made the character totally unlikable. Connor was an egotistical megalomaniac with no concern for anything but his own survival.

But, I see what you're saying about the icon thing. I don't think Reynolds will have the same problem.

Well, Ryan said he's going to do Deadpool and doesn't count out even more superheroes after Deadpool and Green Lantern. :D

I really really like Ryan Reynolds as a comedic actor. I think he's funny as hell and really knows how to pull it off. But him as Green Lantern? I really don't know how that's gonna work? I hope he pulls it off though becuz I'd hate to see his ass fail at it. Don't you hate when you see an awkward moment on the screen and you just feel embarrassed for that actor? LOL I don't want that to happen to Reynolds. He's too cute! :P