Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bradstreet

Bad Planet - The official thread

Starting an all inclusive Bad Planet thread now that the series has concluded.

Any Bad Planet discussion or questions can be yapped about here.

The older individual issue threads have been unpinned.

As of now we're talking to a vid game development company about adapting BP into a really kick-ass console/PC game.

They are building some models and we're tossing around ideas for style of gameplay, all that is down the road a bit.

Also, as announced in it's own thread, Tom and I will be releasing a super-fucking-mondo-cool OVERSIZED hardcover Black and White Trade edition of Bad Planet set for a July/SDCC release. This trade obviously collects issue's 1-6 as well as including a cover gallery where naturally you can drool all over the original black and white line art created by Bernie Wrightson, Mark Schultz, Dave Stevens, Lewis LaRosa, Jim Daly, and myself. Kaluta's cover was painted so that's going in the gallery as a greyscale reproduction. Same greyscaling will be employed on the Dave Kendall painted Convict origin pages from issue #5. There will be no 3D in this edition.

So yeah, black and white oversized hardcover limited to 1000 copies. You get to see all the work that Jim, Lewis, and I put into this puppy with no color to stand in it's way. We love what Grant did with the colors but we decided even before issue #1 was released that we'd release a black and white version when the book went to trade. The book is 9.25" X 12.25", the same size as my artbook Archetype and also the awesome EC Comics collected hardcover editions. Nice and big so the art can breathe in a larger format.

Tom and I are publishing this ourselves, free from Image, so this is a 100% RAW Studios release.

Introduction by Thomas Jane, afterword by TB, with TJ, and Niles.

The Bad Planet art contest winners will not be included in this edition. We're saving that for the color trade paperback which will have a much higher print run and wider availability.

Also really excited about the cover which I explain in more detail in the BP black and white trade thread.

- TB

Can't wait to get my paws on this one. 1000 eh...sounds pricey? But well worth it i'm sure!

Tim, so help me DOG, if I miss out on this I'm gonna go bananas! Please tell me it's gonna be available for order online (maybe signed...)!

Tim, so help me DOG, if I miss out on this I'm gonna go bananas! Please tell me it's gonna be available for order online (maybe signed...)!

Amen to that! I hope there will be some left over after SDCC for RAW members, please?!!!

Btw, any idea when the next series of BP will be in the works? Is that still down the road a ways?

Awesome Fangoria review of limited edition Bad Planet hard cover!

"With these guys being creative on their own, it’s no shock that readers were given top-notch reading and amazing visuals to stare at. When the film world and comic book world go hand in hand like Raw Studios, fans of both worlds are rewarded big time."

http://www.fangoria.com/fangoria-lifestyle...bad-planet.html

Jen

Just wondering, did you get the title from Snog?

http://mixmenow.net/Free_Tracks/uid4163366...roles-download/

Not as far as I know, Tom always had the title from the first moment I heard him act out the story in his brain.

Whether or not TJ snagged the monicker from Snog or not remains to be seen ;)

- TB

I bought issue one of the comic in Dublin yesterday. I came across it by accident but when I saw it I had to snatch it up. It’s a cool introduction to the story and the world but I always prefer to read volumes so I can get the whole story. It’s just getting to the juicy stuff at the end of issue one with the crash landing and the creatures getting free when it ends :( . I’ll have to keep an eye out for the other issues next time I’m down there, or if I'm lucky I'll spot Volume 1.

Okay, I have to ask something and it's probably going to sound stupid, but it's driving me crazy. This may have been mentioned before, so forgive me if I missed it. I was re-reading my copy of Bad Planet, and I noticed something interesting about the car that the Convict uses in this. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or if there is any significance to it at all, but I was wondering about the numbers on the license plate of the car.

cover3Large.jpg

It looks like it could be a Bible reference, specifically the book, chapter, and verse. I was wondering if it is perhaps a reference to the Book of Revelations, chapter 9, verses 1 thru 11? Because if it isn't, then it is a HUGE coincidence, because those verses are eerily similar to the story in this book.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...amp;version=KJV

Okay, I have to ask something and it's probably going to sound stupid, but it's driving me crazy. This may have been mentioned before, so forgive me if I missed it. I was re-reading my copy of Bad Planet, and I noticed something interesting about the car that the Convict uses in this. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or if there is any significance to it at all, but I was wondering about the numbers on the license plate of the car.

cover3Large.jpg

It looks like it could be a Bible reference, specifically the book, chapter, and verse. I was wondering if it is perhaps a reference to the Book of Revelations, chapter 9, verses 1 thru 11? Because if it isn't, then it is a HUGE coincidence, because those verses are eerily similar to the story in this book.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...amp;version=KJV

AHA. someone out there has a good eye! ;)

I bought issue one of the comic in Dublin yesterday. I came across it by accident but when I saw it I had to snatch it up. It’s a cool introduction to the story and the world but I always prefer to read volumes so I can get the whole story. It’s just getting to the juicy stuff at the end of issue one with the crash landing and the creatures getting free when it ends :( . I’ll have to keep an eye out for the other issues next time I’m down there, or if I'm lucky I'll spot Volume 1.

why dontcha just order your very own copy from the store here, RAW DEAL?

pick up a copy and tell us all what ya think!

:P

QUOTE (Thomas Jane @ Feb 16 2011, 01:55 AM)

why dontcha just order your very own copy from the store here, RAW DEAL?

pick up a copy and tell us all what ya think!

tongue.gif

That sounds like a good solution to the problem alright :). I never could find another copy of it down here.

Hello y'all!

I am still under shock due to the FedCon cancellation, but tonight I came home and oooohhh... there's post for me 😳 feels like Xmas, hence the candles.

My 6 issues of Bad Planet got delivered! Yipi!

This wonderful arrival was treated with all the due respect. I am looking forward to discovering the books during the next days!

Now thanks to Bad Planet my mood has raised to a level where I'm not grumpy anymore and will change my profile pic back to normal 😀

See ya'

PSX_20190510_231434 (1).jpg

11 hours ago, Enaira said:

Hello y'all!

I am still under shock due to the FedCon cancellation, but tonight I came home and oooohhh... there's post for me 😳 feels like Xmas, hence the candles.

My 6 issues of Bad Planet got delivered! Yipi!

This wonderful arrival was treated with all the due respect. I am looking forward to discovering the books during the next days!

Now thanks to Bad Planet my mood has raised to a level where I'm not grumpy anymore and will change my profile pic back to normal 😀

See ya'

PSX_20190510_231434.jpg

Awesome.

Wow.

That was really "nice"!

I didn't expect so much humor in Bad Planet. Second degree all the time, with references. Great drawings, unexpected twists.

I was reading the 3rd issue during lunch break in my office. Discovered the 3D glasses in the book and just sat there reading and giggling, smiling to myself. It was great! 3D is pure fun and changes everything.

A bubble of fresh air. 

A neuronal draught when you most need it.

Thank you Thomas & team...

Ok I will make a daring comparison. In some strange way, Bad Planet reminded me of "Dog Man" by Dav Pilkey. Obviously not due to the drawings. But the whole humor, second degree, linguistic jokes. The first glimpse brings the thought of a very simple plot and script. But once you're hooked you notice how much work it is to reach that B movie feeling/childish feeling (for Dog Man).

Genius!