Sign in to follow this  
Tiara

The Book of Eli

Either way it's risky, original screenplay, and one thing that I don't see is the car/road mayhem of Max and Road Warrior which would at least somewhat guarantee a certain amount of 15-25 year old male ticket buyers. Christ, does Death Race ring a bell? Yeesh.

But no, it looks like it definitely isn't a car movie so we got a bunch of dudes wandering the wasteland on foot. Even with some savagely choreographed fight scenes it still seems like an uphill battle.

We are definitely not a wall-to-wall action movie but we have a handful of signature action sequences that I suspect will be heavily mined for the next trailer to try to pull in the popcorn audience. Aside from the hand-to-hand martial arts fights we have a couple of major gun battles, one of which is pretty spectacular and is shot in one unbroken take, Children of Men-style. It's amazing. And we do have some pretty bad-ass vehicles, most of which get destroyed in pretty cool fashion, but you're right that there's no real vehicle-oriented action a la Mad Max. (Technically there shouldn't really be any vehicles in operation at all as there's no way there would be any gasoline 30 years after the end of civilization since it rots pretty quickly and becomes useless; we took a bit of liberty there.)

But yeah, it was never meant to be a straight action movie and time after time we resisted the pressure to turn it into that. The pace of the film as written was intended to be very serene and languid in places, and that's something the Hughes Bros really embraced as they love the drawn-out style of those classic Sergio Leone westerns - if you watch the first 10 minutes of Once Upon a Time in the West you'll get a pretty good idea of what we went for here. I wrote the first 10 minutes of TBOE to be purposefully non-eventful, just a kind of silent travelog as you follow Eli on his travels through this empty world to really drive home the loneliness and desolation. That led to an inevitable fight with the studio, who felt the movie should be front-loaded with more action in the first few minutes. Fortunately we won that battle. It's amazing how little credit some people want to give audiences these days; do they really think people are going to walk out if something doesn't blow up in the first 10 minutes?

We are definitely not a wall-to-wall action movie but we have a handful of signature action sequences that I suspect will be heavily mined for the next trailer to try to pull in the popcorn audience. Aside from the hand-to-hand martial arts fights we have a couple of major gun battles, one of which is pretty spectacular and is shot in one unbroken take, Children of Men-style. It's amazing. And we do have some pretty bad-ass vehicles, most of which get destroyed in pretty cool fashion, but you're right that there's no real vehicle-oriented action a la Mad Max. (Technically there shouldn't really be any vehicles in operation at all as there's no way there would be any gasoline 30 years after the end of civilization since it rots pretty quickly and becomes useless; we took a bit of liberty there.)

"We are definitely not a wall-to-wall action movie." Well all I can say to that is THANK GOD! For obvious reasons.

And yeah, thankfully you DIDN'T play up the car mayhem. What real good does it do to retread (no pun intended) or reinvent something that has already been done before really fucking well? All it would do is draw inevitable and ridiculous comparisons. You gotta carve out your own territory.

And I think we can all forgive the 30 year cars still in operation thing. Alternative fuels, some low level manufacturing . . . I mean intelligence and invention wouldn't completely evaporate along with civilization. I'll bet there's lots of ways of preserving a rubber hose ;) No, we LOVE to suspend our disbelief as long as it's conceivable.

But yeah, it was never meant to be a straight action movie and time after time we resisted the pressure to turn it into that. The pace of the film as written was intended to be very serene and languid in places, and that's something the Hughes Bros really embraced as they love the drawn-out style of those classic Sergio Leone westerns - if you watch the first 10 minutes of Once Upon a Time in the West you'll get a pretty good idea of what we went for here. I wrote the first 10 minutes of TBOE to be purposefully non-eventful, just a kind of silent travelog as you follow Eli on his travels through this empty world to really drive home the loneliness and desolation. That led to an inevitable fight with the studio, who felt the movie should be front-loaded with more action in the first few minutes. Fortunately we won that battle. It's amazing how little credit some people want to give audiences these days; do they really think people are going to walk out if something doesn't blow up in the first 10 minutes?

I just want to personally hug and kiss each and every one of you ;)

"I wrote the first 10 minutes of TBOE to be purposefully non-eventful, just a kind of silent travelog as you follow Eli on his travels through this empty world to really drive home the loneliness and desolation."

But especially you Gary. Whatever you guys did to keep this film from being compromised , turned into a well known and tired fucking PRODUCT . . . Well I want a double shot of that. More powerful entities have buckled under that kind of studio pressure. Did you have some enlightened and creative man/woman on the inside pulling for you? And if you didn't, it just makes your journey even more a miracle.

And how many times has something like this come flying out of my mouth?

"It's amazing how little credit some people want to give audiences these days; do they really think people are going to walk out if something doesn't blow up in the first 10 minutes?"

The studio felt the movie should be front-loaded with more action in the first few minutes? S H O C K I N G ! ! ! !

I'm not kidding man, you guys are my new heroes.

We preach this very same gospel here on the forum (down to the Leone love), but you guys actually went out and DID IT.

Which is why I'm screaming out to all who can hear . . . Support this film!!!

The more I learn the deeper I am smitten over this refreshing tale.

Glory Hallelujah.

- TB

That's great to hear!

Sounds like a cool opening, even though there is no real action, it VISUALLY introduces the desolated setting and the lonely main character. It's not like it's just infodump through narration or dialogue, right?

I love it when there is no dialogue in a sequence. Let the images speak, it's a visual medium after all. It's something that I like about The Road Warrior too - after the opening narration there is almost no dialogue, just the music and the action for a couple of minutes...

Guest AdminGuyX
we have a handful of signature action sequences that I suspect will be heavily mined for the next trailer to try to pull in the popcorn audience. Aside from the hand-to-hand martial arts fights we have a couple of major gun battles, one of which is pretty spectacular and is shot in one unbroken take, Children of Men-style.

I really dig it when an action scene can be pulled off with no edits, or with few edits. Over edited fight scenes and gun battles make me cringe, and tend to suck me right out of the movie. I know that's a pretty common feeling among the RAW crowd. :)

Denzel is one of those actors who does dramatic action SO WELL. He just has that authority on screen, even going back to Richochet, and as recently as Man on Fire. The simple shot of him backing into a shadow is so damn effective because of his innate understanding of cinematic body language.

But yeah, it was never meant to be a straight action movie and time after time we resisted the pressure to turn it into that.

I too would like to salute you for this. And to thank you. THANK YOU!

:)

I wrote the first 10 minutes of TBOE to be purposefully non-eventful, just a kind of silent travelog as you follow Eli on his travels through this empty world to really drive home the loneliness and desolation.

Which is going to let the audience settle into this world, and from Eli's POV without even knowing it. While some of my favorite films open on action, the films I cherish and savor tend not to start on action, but character. They let the audience "feel" the world they are presenting and connect with the characters first. Then when the shit hits the fan, you're invested emotionally.

Man, I want to see this today!!! :)

Guest AdminGuyX

OK, I can't watch anymore trailers!

I already want to see this movie, real bad, and I don't want anything else given away!!! :)

I'm really digging Oldman's voice. That guy knocks it out of the park every time, doesn't he?

January 15th feels FAR AWAY!! ;)

OK, I can't watch anymore trailers!

I already want to see this movie, real bad, and I don't want anything else given away!!! :)

I'm really digging Oldman's voice. That guy knocks it out of the park every time, doesn't he?

January 15th feels FAR AWAY!! ;)

111 days!

Here's a YouTube HD link for anyone having trouble with Yahoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGAHcF1WfgY

Man, this looks incredible! I can't say anything better than what Noeland said, that just sums up my feelings.

Fuck, I needed a new movie to get excited for... Thank you for that!

This is gonna be sucha great film.

Great visuals, love finally hearing Gary, nice, nice, nice.

I despise the music.

The metal edge is clearly targeting the 15-25 year old male. And hey, I love metal, just didn't like the stuff I heard.

But it wasn't just that, it was the end crescendo build, over-dramatic like Morricone's score for Mission To Mars, yes, even the maestro sucks the pipe once in a dozen moons.

Jeez I hate to have to be critical but really it's neither here nor there since I gotta assume it's complete temp track trailer tomfoolery.

Gary, has a composer been announced?

I haven't seen an update on IMDB.

Can't wait to see who's doing the music. Crossing my fingers for James Newton Howard.

- TB

Gary, has a composer been announced?

I haven't seen an update on IMDB.

Can't wait to see who's doing the music. Crossing my fingers for James Newton Howard.

- TB

Hey Tim, I found this article announcing that a fellow by the name of Atticus Ross will be doing the score. He doesn't have a great deal of credentials behind him, but you gotta start somewhere.

Tim the music in the new trailer was stock music from a company that provides pre-canned music for trailers. I haven't heard the actual score yet but I'm told it's great and I would expect a more ambient, quiet-earth vibe.

Love the new trailer but I have to agree w/ TB 'bout the music. Very distracting, like a bad laugh track. Putting dramatic music on top of dramatic footage has the effect of a wet blanket - like giving speed to an ADD kid, he slows down but he's not as interesting anymore.

man i just read the script for this - didn't know it was set up and filming already - i'm looking for a writer to adapt LAND THAT TIME FORGOT - and i read the Gary Whitta script. WHAT A KNOCKOUT! this story is gonna blow your socks off, people. i HOPE it's being done well, cause the script is a GEM. i'm SO DAMN ENVIOUS OF DENZEL!! wish this had come accross my desk before his. but oh well dem's da breaks. we did have the same agent for quite a while. and denzel is, well denzel. and i'm... well i've got the last name of a girl. NO MATTER

THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT is by EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS and it also kicks ass. maybe this Whitta character wants to meet me on it? we'll see. you ELI fans are in for a real treat. seriously hope they don't fuck this one up.

man i just read the script for this - didn't know it was set up and filming already - i'm looking for a writer to adapt LAND THAT TIME FORGOT - and i read the Gary Whitta script. WHAT A KNOCKOUT! this story is gonna blow your socks off, people. i HOPE it's being done well, cause the script is a GEM. i'm SO DAMN ENVIOUS OF DENZEL!! wish this had come accross my desk before his. but oh well dem's da breaks. we did have the same agent for quite a while. and denzel is, well denzel. and i'm... well i've got the last name of a girl. NO MATTER

THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT is by EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS and it also kicks ass. maybe this Whitta character wants to meet me on it? we'll see. you ELI fans are in for a real treat. seriously hope they don't fuck this one up.

Hey, Tom - big fan! Thanks so much for the kind words about the Eli script - that means a lot. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

I just saw a near-final cut of the film earlier this week and was absolutely blown away. The Hughes Bros have done an incredible job and Denzel absolutely brought his A-game, his performance is just astonishing. I don't think anyone here on the board who has been anticipating it will be disappointed... :D

Oh and for those who were interested in the music... you are going to love it. It's nothing like that generic action guitar-riff stuff in the second trailer. It's subtle and haunting and beautiful and takes the movie to a whole other level.

Oddly enough C. Thomas Howell is directing an adaptation of it for The Asylum (for those that don't know, The Asylum is notorious for making cheap knock-offs of big Hollywood films). Here's hoping a good adaptation can get off the ground, if not soon maybe if John Carter of Mars is popular.

Don't fucking tease us Gary!!!! ;)

Do you know who the composer is?

And thanks for confirming that the music will fit/compliment the poetry and earnestness of the visuals.

Congratulations.

Now who is it?!

;)

- TB

Don't fucking tease us Gary!!!! ;)

Do you know who the composer is?

And thanks for confirming that the music will fit/compliment the poetry and earnestness of the visuals.

Congratulations.

Now who is it?!

;)

- TB

Atticus Ross

My bad, missed that earlier post.

Please forgive my overgeek, and thanks for the clarification.

- tb

Just got back from the studio where Atticus Ross was kind enough to invite me to watch him finishing up the final mix for his music score. They recorded with a 60-piece orchestra at Abbey Road a couple of weeks ago and are now just tweaking the dials to get the mix where they want it. In order to gain some musical credibility and common ground with Atticus I explained to him that it's a small world since I have recently also been spending a lot of time at Abbey Road in Beatles Rock Band but this didn't seem to impress him so I just sat quietly in the corner while he and his engineers worked on the mix and they played some of the music for me.

Let me just say the score to this movie is absolutely amazing; the best word I can find to describe it is "haunting". It so perfectly fits the movie's tone and mood and really takes the atmosphere and emotional life of the film to another level. I'm not too proud to admit that I got a little choked up while listening to the soaring, epic piece that plays over the film's finale, it really got to me. I can't wait for you all to hear what Atticus has done here, it's really something special.

Atticus shot some great video of the Abbey Road session so maybe closer to the release of the film he'll let me share that here. In the meantime here's a bad iPhone pic (Atticus is the non-fat one):

4030670911_957832907e.jpg

I am so jacked.

I'm not familiar with Atticus but the fact that he's off my radar (for now) doesn't concern me at all.

No need for big names here, just great music that compliments the film.

After reading what Gary just said I'm going out of my mind anticipating this score.

Bravo to Atticus and I couldn't be more happily jealous of Gary for his 'fly on the wall' experience.

60 piece is gonna sound big where it has to. This is GREAT news.

Thanks for updating us Gary!

- Tim

Final touches are being put on the movie now. Here's a little glimpse of the sound mixing sessions currently underway at Universal Studios' Hitchcock Theater...

4048110689_33f30452d2_o.jpg

4048855576_b3c6dc9661_o.jpg

4048111141_0c5e16427c_o.jpg