Sign in to follow this  
Tiara

The Book of Eli

Was just chatting back and forth with Gary Whitta, who wrote The Book Of Eli.

What a nice fella. He's thrilled we're raving about the film and I informed him that he had big support from our community.

Maybe I can find a jpeg of the comicon poster they did to promote the film.

I'll try to find and post soon.

- TB

Also, a link to my preferred Book Of Eli fan page at FB

Here's some Book Of Eli love from . . .

Chris Weston -

eli-poster-in-progress-04.jpg

Tommy Lee Edwards -

3729268001_f54f5b3e2e_o.jpg

And Chris Weston -

3727330788_7972afb228.jpg

And here's more loveliness . . . A better look at that excellent shot that Noeland shared with us earlier in the thread.

Fucking DYNAMITE!

book_of_eli_denzel_washington-1.jpg

God I'da killed to work on this ;)

- TB

Hate to keep stringing posts here but I just caught the Dragon Chiang reference from Noeland.

Yeah, definitely a Dragon Chiang Vibe, 'specially with the single man taking out the ring of badasses and the ruined overpass stuff.

Bands of highwaymen, the stuff in the woods, post apocalyptic future . . .

Damn we should have whipped that into shape and sold it years ago!

For any not in the know DC would replace Denzel in the shots, he's a Chinese dude, badass Bruce Lee mutherfucker.

'Cept instead of walking for 30 years, Chiang drives a semi truck retrofitted from a Russian Hind D Helicopter gunship.

Yeah, it's cool as piss ;)

Anyone recognize the chilling and delicious underscore from the trailer?

It's Awesome with a capital 'O'.

- TB

Pretty awesome pictures! I wouldn't mind a graphic novel prequel to the movie or something :)

On the first poster, Oldman kinda looks like Alan Rickman, who would have been a great villain as well :P

Wow - Thanks Tim for posting Weston's boards. Very cool stuff and the idea of an Unforgiven for Denzel is thrilling. He's come a long way since St. Elsewhere!

The pacing of the trailer is what keeps getting me - truly excellent. The whole thing kind of picks up where John Wyndham's Triffids left off.

I really like the implication that post-apocalyptic weaponry is a forced technological regression - back to swords, bows & arrows, etc. - gets my archaeological blood pumping. Any chance Denzel throws a glass tipped atlatl too? Prolly not, but a girl can hope, can't she?

Your very welcome kdedu -

One thing though, these are just promotional illustrations, not the storyboards.

All of that is under wraps. Chris could explain further.

He did some sublime work, stunning, each frame is an ILLUSTRATION, far from the norm of quick roughs representing the material.

The only way you can do it is to be given the time to put IN the time.

Chris was obviously passionate about the opportunity, the subject matter, and most importantly, THE STORY.

It shows.

Can't wait for people to see that stuff.

- TB

Chris' stuff is great, and that Edwards piece is fucking killer too. I'm on board for a comic series as well. I have not read the book, but it looks like it's ripe with ideas to branch out on rather than doing a straight forward adaptation.

As for the film, it's looking great. Denzel's Unforgiven, you got me very interested. Oldman as the villian, you sold me. Hope to see more of Chris' work on this in the future.

Guest AdminGuyX

You know, Mila Kunis is sneaking into the role of gun toting badass lately. First Max Payne, now this. She looks a bit like Moon Bloodgood in Terminator here. I'm digging the sunglasses. :)

Maybe Gary can stop by the boards when the time is right and say hello. That would be very cool.

Am I the only one getting a Fallout vibe from this?

And yes, that is a fucking good thing!

Opening day, and maybe the next after. Definetly.

Hello all - first time poster!

As Tim mentioned I'm the writer of The Book of Eli - Tim was kind enough to invite me to the board so here I am. Just wanted to say I'm thrilled that there's so much support here for the movie, which I'm extremely proud of. The intention was to create a post-apocalyptic movie that felt a little more raw (no pun intended) and authentic than some of those we've seen, and also one that had something to say. From what I've seen so far we're on the right track :)

I think one of the things that will really set this movie apart is the contribution of brilliant comic-book artists like Chris Weston and Tommy Lee Edwards. Chris actually was involved with this project almost from the very beginning, when I was writing the script on spec and I asked him if he'd do a sketch of the main character to help me visualize what he might look like. I was so impressed with what he came up with that after the script sold and the Hughes Bros came on board I passed his name onto them and they liked his work so much that they hired him to do more concept work and eventually to storyboard the entire movie!

Tim isn't exaggerating when he says that Chris's storyboards are spectacular; they go far beyond the level of rough sketch detail you typically see in storyboards - he practically illustrated the entire movie as a graphic novel! There's so much art from this movie that's just too good to go unseen so I really hope we get the opportunity to do some kind of book showcasing it. In the meantime, Chris recently posted a couple of sample storyboard panels on his blog, and you can see how literally they've informed the final look of the film:

Page%20to%20screen%2002.jpg

Page%20to%20screen%2001.jpg

Thanks again for all the kind words about the movie so far; I'll try to pop in regularly with updates. In the meantime here's a new photo from the movie that I don't believe has been widely seen:

3731086598_6b8d81b917_b.jpg

And here's me with Tommy Lee and Chris at Comic-Con celebrating the trailer's debut earlier that day!

3754095048_dc8f9033dc_b.jpg

Aww, ya gotta get us a frame cap of Chris Browning with those goggles!!

Absolutely gorgeous Gary.

Love the new shot.

I almost want to explain the "dude" with the gasmask but I don't think anyone has figured it out yet.

Hate to blow a gag.

Maybe I just did . . .

Thanks so much for all the insight.

Pics are delish!

WELCOME!!!

- TB

PS - HA! Nice move with the avatar! I threw a temp at ya in case you didn't want to take the time but yours is definitely better!

You're too good to us ;)

Shame to obliterate Chris' good looks but you do what you have to do for the part ;)

Chris is a marvelous actor. Glad you guys snagged him from the local NM bunch.

He's got game.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Damn.

:)

Welcome to RAW Gary. I have a feeling you'll fit right in around here. I'm SO happy a film like this has gotten made and has some of the world best talent behind it.

Wow. I go away to catch a couple of hours sleep and look what happens!

I'm waiting to find out just how much of my concept and storyboard art I can show off to you. The moment I get any kind of "all-clear" you'll all be the first to know.

Believe me, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

Thanks to Gary and Tim for the kind words.

Welcome Gary and thanks for the new picture!

I can't wait for more concept art Chris :)

I searched around the web but I didn't find anything about the score or the composer yet...

Welcome Gary and thanks for the new picture!

I can't wait for more concept art Chris :)

I searched around the web but I didn't find anything about the score or the composer yet...

Yeah I'm actually not sure who is doing the music for the film. I love the soundscape in the trailer though, especially that deep vocal chanting... sounds really ominous and bad-ass.

James Newton Howard would be spectacular if they are going for an A list composer.

The film looks like it deserves an A list score. His score for Waterworld is maybe the best thing about the movie, and his more recent score for I Am Legend is powerful, poignant, lush, and emotional, the complete dramatic package with enough action, bombast cues to keep the kids interested ;)

This type of material would seem to bring out the best in a lot of guys. Lots of visuals to get the juices flowing.

Tone is so important, the music in the trailer captures that wonderfully.

John Debney would be a fantastic choice as well. His Passion Of The Christ score is on constant rotation here.

I just hope they keep the mood and tone of what is established in the trailer.

Can't wait to see who gets the gig.

- tb

Guest AdminGuyX

I really like what they did with sound in the trailer too. It's very haunting and effective. Is the small bit of music used in the trailer from some other score then?

This type of material would seem to bring out the best in a lot of guys. Lots of visuals to get the juices flowing.

Certainly has me. I've been dragging my feet about a few creative endeavors lately, but after watching this trailer, and seeing Chris' work, it lit a fire.

Njc-------

I really like what they did with sound in the trailer too. It's very haunting and effective. Is the small bit of music used in the trailer from some other score then?

Njc-------

You know the drill Noe, it's either existing stuff remixed together or some underscore type stuff designed by musicians who do trailer gigs for a living - like the recent Star Trek trailer 3 featuring "Freedom Fighters" by Two Steps From Hell.

I'd love to find out where that Eli trailer music came from too.

I don't recognize it at all.

I hope it's available somewhere cause whatever it is I'd like to get my stinkin' mits on it ;)

- tb

You know the drill Noe, it's either existing stuff remixed together or some underscore type stuff designed by musicians who do trailer gigs for a living - like the recent Star Trek trailer 3 featuring "Freedom Fighters" by Two Steps From Hell.

I'd love to find out where that Eli trailer music came from too.

I don't recognize it at all.

I hope it's available somewhere cause whatever it is I'd like to get my stinkin' mits on it ;)

- tb

Same here... I'm gonna ask around and see what I can find out.

Guest AdminGuyX

Tim, I figured as much, but you never know 'til ya ask. :)

Gary, COOL. Hope you are able to share and it's not hush hush or anything.

Ye Root Admin: Yeah sorry 'bout that Noe, I knew YOU knew, but was more just edifying for the sake of anyone else.

1000 apologies ;)

If anyone has an IMDB account, they should post the question about the trailer music there. I'm sure someone knows. Also, looking at the cast, I found another reason to get excited: Tom Waits!