Sign in to follow this  
Tiara

The Book of Eli

Ray Stevenson, who opens Dec. 5 in the title role of Punisher: War Zone, has joined Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman and Mila Kunis in Book of Eli, the Alcon-financed supernatural drama that Warner Brothers will distribute, Variety reported.

Allen and Albert Hughes will direct the movie, which begins shooting in February.

Stevenson will play an enforcer dispatched to kill Eli (Washington) as he fights his way across the American wasteland, protecting a sacred book that may hold the key to saving humanity.

Stevenson took over the Frank Castle/Punisher role in the Marvel Comics adaptation after starring in the HBO drama Rome. He most recently completed the Paul Weitz-directed Cirque du Freak for Universal.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799666...ery=book+of+eli

Ray Stevenson, who just signed on to co-star in the post-apocalyptic film The Book of Eli, told SCI FI Wire that his character is partnered with Gary Oldman's in pursuit of Eli (Denzel Washington). Stevenson could not name his character yet as the moniker could change by the time he films.

"[Eli]'s on the wrong side of town, the wrong side of the law, but we're going to have some fun there," Stevenson said in an interview in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Dec. 2, where he was promoting Punisher: War Zone. "Now that they've committed, we're going to go to work and see what we can do."

Describing the apocalyptic vision of the film as surreal, Stevenson gave an example of a proposed visual cue. "At one point you think it's snowing, but it's actually ash is still falling," he said. "It's like is this the birth of what will be the next new society or is this the end, the tail end, the straggling end that's just going to die out of the old one? It's a pivotal time."

Continue reading:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?c...=3&id=62514

Jennifer Beals will join the cast of The Book of Eli, the Denzel Washington sci-fi action thriller from Warner Brothers and Alcon Entertainment, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Albert and Allen Hughes are directing.

The script, by Gary Whitta with a rewrite by Anthony Peckham, centers on a lone hero named Eli (Washington) who must fight his way across the wasteland of a near-future America to protect a sacred book that might hold the key to saving humanity. Gary Oldman and Mila Kunis are also in the cast.

Beals is playing Oldman's sexual prize and Kunis' mother, a blind woman doing anything she can to protect her child.

Principal photography begins in February in New Mexico.

Eli reunites Beals (Showtime's The L Word) with Washington, with whom she starred in 1995's Devil in a Blue Dress.

Source: http://scifiwire.com/2009/01/jennifer-beal...book-of-eli.php

Evan Jones (October Road) has landed a role in Warner Bros.' futuristic Western The Book of Eli, to be directed by Albert and Allen Hughes (From Hell).

In "Eli," Jones will play the leader of a quartet of bikers who tussle with Eli (Denzel Washington).

Gary Oldman, Jennifer Beals and Mila Kunis also star in the Joel Silver-produced film, targeted for a January 15, 2010 release.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52958

thebookofeli.jpg

Finally Denzel Washington is a badass again! This first look at the Hughes Brothers post-apocalyptic THE BOOK OF ELI shows Denzel as a lone man who battles his way across a devastated America in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secrets to saving humankind. Gary Oldman will be his foil, and Mila Kunis, Jennifer Beals and Ray Stevenson have roles as well. Denzel's been in some softies as of late, so hopefully this will be a return to his training days. He's definitely not reaching into his pocket for a banana! Extra Tidbit: THE BOOK OF ELI hits theaters on January 15th 2010.

Source: http://joblo.com/look-at-eli

This looks to be really awesome.

Love the genre and I have a lot of friends working on this one.

Ray of course, my pal Chris Browning who rocked it as "The Stranger" in Dark Country, Greg Nicotero of KNB EFX, who is on location as we speak providing awesome make-up FX, and Jeff Wolfe, Ray's stunt double. Also, old acquaintance David Valdes (Pale Rider, The Green Mile) is Exec Producing.

Following this one closely.

- TB

Yeah this'll be an interesting one. I'm sure it'll do well both financially and critically.

We've been neglecting all the recent casting news for The Book of Eli, primarily because we already know who the important actors are and thus don't really need to write up every little announcement for the supporting cast. However, this is one that is worth mentioning, in addition to recapping all the other recent additions. Anti (via The Playlist) is reporting that musician Tom Waits has a small role as the "Engineer" in The Book of Eli. We already know that Denzel Washington is on-board as the lead and is joined by Gary Oldman and Mila Kunis, but there's a handful of other great actors that I haven't mentioned yet either.

Also appearing in The Book of Eli are Ray Stevenson, Michael Gambon, Jennifer Beals, and Frances de la Tour. The film is post-apocalyptic western, in which a lone man (Washington) fights his way across America in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secrets to saving humankind. Directors Albert and Allen Hughes (Dead Presidents, From Hell) are currently filming in New Mexico for release in January of 2010. As for Waits, he's appeared in quite a few films before, including Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mystery Men, Domino, and Wristcutters: A Love Story most recently.

Source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/03/12/tom...he-book-of-eli/

Guest AdminGuyX

SO, I was kind of excited about this until I read this quote describing the following shot:

denzell-bookofeli21.jpg

In a post-apocalyptic world, a lone hero (Washington) guards the Book of Eli, which provides knowledge that could redeem society. The despot of a small, makeshift town (Oldman) plans to take possession of the book. [Wiki]

In this frame, says co-director Allen Hughes, Elie comes upon a fork in the road. “Eli’s iPod has run out of juice and to the right is the road that leads into Carnagie’s (Gary Oldman) town. Eli makes the decision to go into town, power up his iPod and refill his canteen.”

Well as long as he has his fucking ipod.

:huh:

Well as long as he has his fucking ipod.

:huh:

And it's his desire to power up the iPod that leads him to make the wrong decision. See, boys and girls, iPods are EVIL.

So, I guess the great Book of Eli is just the last iPod instruction manual in this post-apocalyptic world...

Yup! That's it! That's the secret to saving the world! It's all in the iPOd manual!!

I saw an article about this in today's issue of USA Today, and until now, I hadn't even heard of this movie. Interesting.

This is one of the films promoted at Comicon I'm real excited about.

It looks amazing, and who isn't ready for a damn good post apocalyptic film right now?

Denzel? Credibility.

I'm liking everything I've seen.

The trailer just recently hit the airwaves, check it out if you haven't already - Book Of Eli trailer

The Hughes Bros take the reigns and it looks to be monster fucking cool.

I've seen some other goodies I cannot talk about now but hope to in the coming months.

I can't hardly wait to see this.

thebookofeli.jpg

- TB

Hey, Tim. I think I can now go public with my involvement on the film.

As you know, I did concept art and storyboards on this incredible movie.

And, folks, let me tell you: this film delivers in ways that Terminator: Salvation should have. Action, atmosphere and character.

This will be Denzel's "Unforgiven". I promise you.

And just wait 'til you see what Gary Oldman does with the villain role! As one producer on the film said after watching Oldman at work: "We've got our Joker!".

I usually don't go to the movies unless there's a Harrison Ford, comic, or comedy film being released.... this however makes me actually want to get up and go see it. It'll be a damn good movie I just know it.

Chris - Kind of funny how one of your producers makes a Joker comment about one of the men bringing him down. Oldman can do anything though!

And just wait 'til you see what Gary Oldman does with the villain role! As one producer on the film said after watching Oldman at work: "We've got our Joker!".

I'm so glad Oldman is still acting. There was a rumor that he'd hung up the towel going round. I love when he plays the villain...

Guest AdminGuyX

I love the shot of Denzel backing up into the shadows with the knife out.

LOVED that trailer. Obviously at some point he takes the shotgun with the taped handle away from the lady with the mirror glasses, or she does from him.

Chris, damn fine job. Hope you can share some of that work with us after the film is released!! I'd love to see it.

Njc-----------

EDIT: Just surfed on over to your site Chris, and found some cool stuff on the "what's new" blog. Great shots!! I want to see more!

http://www.chrisweston.co.uk/

Go check it out folks!

God do I love post-apoc stuff when it's done right.

And I'm with you Nole. That backing up with the knife shadow shot is so perfect it could have been inked by Tim (wait did that sound kiss-ass-ish?).

Besides The Road this could be a very good post-apocalyptic offering!

The look reminds me a bit of I Am Legend. Denzel seems like a seasoned Blade walking The Cursed Earth. I like it!

Guest AdminGuyX

I've watched the trailer like 40 times today. I'm really digging it.

Who's doing the score?

Yeah, about time someone took great genre material seriously again.

Too often we see it wrapped up in no risk formulaic packaging . . . Cast the hot young (no track record except a box office hit) questionably talented faces and then add a fat dose of safe formula whitewash. It's the same product time after time, it just wears a different face. ENOUGH ALREADY! People have themselves thinking this shit is actually good because there is so little being produced that raises the bar. Denzel's Unforgiven? By the blistered balls of Hades man! THAT should be the tagline ;)

Anyway, Guys, I was lucky enough to see Weston's storyboards at SDCC and I gotta tell you, the first glimpse had me wanting to publish them immediately in a book of it's own. They are AMAZING. Chris deserves a LOT of credit for the way this film unfolds and looks, everything, the tiniest details are all there in his massively detailed boards. In the woods, arrow flies, just as you see it on film it's right there in Chris' boards.

Chris, there is no way they paid you enough. Filmmakers dream of finding a collaborator like you.

Heres to your continued success along those lines. Mark yourself down for a gig on Red Sky Diary when I get it up and moving.

Please bless us with some board samples when the light is clear to show.

Anyone get a line on the film's composer let us know.

The Book Of Eli . . . It's about time.

- TB

By the blistered balls of Hades man! THAT should be the tagline ;)

Maybe so. But I'd love to know which movie "By Blistered balls of Hades" could be a tagline for.

If The Devil's Commandos was being helmed by Ben Stiller, then "By The Blistered Balls Of Hades . . . " would be perfect ;)

- tb