Sign in to follow this  
Tiara

'I, Frankenstein' comic headed to big screen

Director Patrick Tatopoulos, "Underworld" co-creator Kevin Grevioux and Death Ray Films are teaming up to bring the comic book "I, Frankenstein" to the big screen.

"I, Frankenstein" is an upcoming Darkstorm Comic written by Grevioux that brings together classic monster characters, including Frankenstein's Monster, the Invisible Man, Dracula and the Hunchback of Notre Dame, in a contemporary film noir setting.

The Monster, for example, has evolved, learned how to control his anger and now acts as a private investigator. Dracula, meanwhile, is a kingpin of crime, and the Invisible Man is a secret operative.

Grevioux will pen the adaptation and act as a producer. Tatopoulos, a longtime creature designer for such films as "I Am Legend" and "Godzilla" who made his directorial debut with "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans," will helm.

Robert Sanchez and Chris Patton will produce via Death Ray. Ryan Turek of horror Web site ShockTilYouDrop.com is co-developing for Death Ray.

The company has an independent financing fund for its slate, which also includes the horror comedy "War Monkeys," in preproduction, and "El Zombo," an adaptation of a Dark Horse comic.

"It's a Raymond Chandler-esque monster mash where the rogues don't pack pistols, they've got claws and fangs," Turek said.

Death Ray hopes to launch a franchise with the property.

Tatopoulos is repped by ICM and Grevioux by WMA.

The Hollywood Reporter

Lakeshore Entertainment's chairman and CEO Tom Rosenberg announced today that Lakeshore will re-team with writer/actor Kevin Grevioux and director/award-winning special effects designer Patrick Tatopoulos of the "Underworld" franchise on I, Frankenstein. Production is scheduled to begin in July of 2010.

"Patrick Tatopoulos made his directorial debut with us on "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans" and Tom and I were so pleased that we have been looking for another opportunity to work with Patrick," said Gary Lucchesi, President of Lakeshore. "When Kevin Grevioux and Robert Sanchez presented us with 'I, Frankenstein' we knew immediately that this was a great and original franchise that could best utilize Patrick's extraordinary talent and vision."

An original screenplay by Kevin Grevioux, I, Frankenstein, based on Grevioux's upcoming Darkstorm Studios graphic novel of the same name, will be produced by Lakeshore's Tom Rosenberg, Gary Lucchesi and Richard Wright. Patrick Tatopoulos is attached to direct with Kevin Grevioux and Robert Sanchez attached as executive producers.

Tatopoulos commented: "It is a privilege to be given the chance to direct this highly visual piece. Kevin Grevioux has created something truly special with 'I, Frankenstein' and I couldn't dream of a better team than my friends at Lakeshore to make this project happen."

"The re-imagining of the Frankenstein mythos and the diverse creatures of legend is a dream project for me," said Grevioux. "I'm blessed and thankful that both Tom and Gary really sparked to the material and recognized this property's potential as not only a film, but a launch pad for various multi-media platforms. And a chance to work with such a visionary titan as Patrick again makes this experience even more amazing."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62914

Could be interesting. Grevioux is a pretty good writer and Tatopoulos made a very solid debut as director with "Rise of the Lycans". I hope they will use the potential and won't turn it into another Van Helsing.