Sign in to follow this  
Tiara

Photos Survey Thomas Jane's Dark Country

After yesterday's update from actor Ron Perlman regarding Thomas Jane's upcoming thriller Dark Country, our pals at Quiet Earth have alerted us to nine photos they've scored from the film.

No photos of Perlman, but there is Jane, who's pulling double duties as actor and director, and Lauren German sporting blond hair, as opposed to the dark locks she had in Hostel: Part II. You'll find two stills below; look for the rest here.

Source: http://shocktilyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=10079

darkcountry-photo1.jpg

darkcountry-photo2.jpg

During the shooting of Mutant Chronicles, Ron Perlman and Thomas Jane became such good pals they decided to reunite for Dark Country, Jane's directorial debut that was shot in 3-D.

"It's very film noir," Perlman tells ShockTillYouDrop.com during a recent phone interview. "It's got a bit of a Stephen King tonality to it. It's a guy driving across the desert by night and it's a spin-out story. There are things that are happening that go way beyond the pale. I play a sheriff and I find this guy by the side of the road and he's completely disheveled and hysterical. He's lost his wife. These forces are coming down on him and I'm trying to restore some order and figure out what's real and what's not real."

Perlman says his role is a complete contrast to Collie Entragian, the murderous man of the law in Desperation.

Jane also stars in Dark Country with Hostel: Part II's Lauren German. The film is currently awaiting release through Sony.

Source: http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=10070

Wow. The last two pics really made my mouth drop open. It's been a long time coming, I can't wait to see this on the big screen.

Yep, those definitely look like graded screen caps from Geoff Boyle. They look identical to the tests I saw him playing with while we were shooting.

But could also very likely be completed shots from the film. Tom could shine better light on this. I heard from Sony marketing today asking about promotional imagery too, so it looks like things may be ramping up for Dark Country!

Tom is over the moon about it. He says like it or not, he got to do this film the way he saw it in his head and he is tickled with the results.

It's a Noir-Horror Art Film, but don't be fooled by that last bit. Dark Country should be quite a Hellride, and I can vouch for some excellent performances.

Perlman's presence is a calming force in a world turned upside down. Maybe the only lifeline to reality. Good shit.

- TB

Nothing beats seeing your vision come to life without meddling. I can't wait to see this one! Between this and "Give Em Hell Malone", it sounds like Tom is doing some of the best films running.

I'm glad to hear that Tom had the chance to do the film he wanted and that it turned out the way he wanted. A very rare thing, esspecially these days.

During the whole ramp-up for Warzone there were lots of fans questioning Jane's sanity. Why isn't he doing GI Joe? Why didn't he do Watchmen? Why isn't Thomas Jane doing big budget pictures? Sounded like these eclectic choices were the decisions of a madman.

Well look at Warzone, and not for nothing but THIS GI Joe is simply not Jane's cup of tea (for obvious reasons). And Watchmen? He talked to Zack and he was on the short list for Comedian but he got a chance to direct and he took it. He could have taken the easy road and forsaken shooting DC low budget and in hard conditions, he could have worked his mojo with Zack and gone with an almost guaranteed hit but he put his money where his mouth is.

He's got HUNG coming up with Academy Award winning Screenwriter/Director Alexander Payne (Sideways). He's got Give 'Em Hell Malone, a badass hard-boiled actioner that very well could turn out to be Russell Mulcahy's return to form. And oh yeah, that Noir-Horror Art Film we've been talking about, the first genuine Noir film ever to be shot in 3D.

One word. Vindication.

;)

- TB

Well look at Warzone, and not for nothing but THIS GI Joe is simply not Jane's cup of tea (for obvious reasons). And Watchmen? He talked to Zack and he was on the short list for Comedian but he got a chance to direct and he took it. He could have taken the easy road and forsaken shooting DC low budget and in hard conditions, he could have worked his mojo with Zack and gone with an almost guaranteed hit but he put his money where his mouth is.

As cool as it would have been to have Jane be in Watchman, Morgan totally owned the role, to the point that I can't really see Jane as The Comedian.

Morgan was great, he was awesome, but I still found myself picturing Tom in the get-up and in The Comedian's skin as I viewed the film.

I think he'd have owned it just as Morgan did. Still, I'm sure it's hard to see anyone else in the role now.

For my money, the real guy to own that film was Jackie Earle Haley. Been a fan since he was a kid (Hell, since I was a kid).

His comeback in Little Children was impressive but Jackie as Rorschach was outta-hand my favorite thing about the movie.

JDM though, he kinda cracks me up. He's like Robert Downey Jr. and Javier Bardem smashed together into one dude ;)

Sorry, back on topic . . .

- tb

Another thing about Morgan, he always tends to play characters that get killed.

It's a Noir-Horror Art Film,

YES!! I want this to be a permanent category on Netflix!

I pray TJ can keep the marketers under control and not let them lose this concept. While we get it here at RAW, as Tim noted with the Malone poster, some suits get nervous around "Noir", much less "Art" combined with "Horror".

Talking about TJ sticking to his guns reminds me of a quote I posted a long time ago and am compelled to post again:

There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening

that is translated through you into action,

and because there is only one of you in all time,

this expression is unique

If you block it,

it will never exist through any other medium

and be lost.

The world will not have it.

It is not your business to determine how good it is;

nor how valuable it is;

nor how it compares with other expressions.

It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly,

to keep the channel open...

No artist is pleased.

There is no satisfaction whatever at any time.

There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction;

a blessed unrest that keeps us marching

and makes us more alive than the others.

Martha Graham to Agnes De Mille

Love that quote, kdedu. Very inspirational, and very appropriate to Thomas' vision for this movie and his drive to see the film made the way he saw it in his mind. :P

Yep, those definitely look like graded screen caps from Geoff Boyle. They look identical to the tests I saw him playing with while we were shooting.

But could also very likely be completed shots from the film. Tom could shine better light on this. I heard from Sony marketing today asking about promotional imagery too, so it looks like things may be ramping up for Dark Country!

Tom is over the moon about it. He says like it or not, he got to do this film the way he saw it in his head and he is tickled with the results.

It's a Noir-Horror Art Film, but don't be fooled by that last bit. Dark Country should be quite a Hellride, and I can vouch for some excellent performances.

Perlman's presence is a calming force in a world turned upside down. Maybe the only lifeline to reality. Good shit.

- TB

He did a excellent job of directing and acting in this film. Hopefully we will see him doing more directing down the rode cuz he definately has the knack for it.