irish46

WESTERN MOVIES

The weird thing about that is the fact that Miike has everyone speaking English (well broken English). He should have just had it dubbed, that would make it a bit more authentic, like how Nero was dubbed in Django.

Well it is a Miike movie, I was pretty much expecting to see it on DVD.

I'm still surpirised that it's getting theatrical too. I remember seeing stills from this at least a year ago, but I want to say two.

Guest FADoss

Well an appearance by QT will sell tickets....even if just to geeks like me...so that MAY explain a theatrical release, though limited.

Guest AdminGuyX

Both Junior Bonner and My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys are showing on encore this month, and while I always knew the films were close, I never realized how close until yesterday.

I'd have to say that MHHABC has to have been concieved as a remake of Junior Bonner, and somewhere along the line they decided to change some names and some situations in there, add a love interest and such. With the director of Cool Hand Luke directing this one, I guess I was expecting a better film. I hadn't seen it since it came out, so I'd forgotten most of it.

Junior Bonner is a superior film in every way, obviously. Cowboys though, nearly looks like a TV movie to my eye these days.

Been a while since I've been over here. So I bring some really good news...

appaloosaposter1.jpg

If it is half as good as the book it will be amazing...just look at the cast!

Viggo, Harris, Irons and Zellweger...

Trailer...

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/appaloosa/trailer

Opens this fall so you still have time to go and buy the book! The book is a great read, Short, but great.

appoloosabook.jpg

appaloosaposter1.jpg

Trailer...

Opens this fall so you still have time to go and buy the book! The book is a great read, Short, but great.

appoloosabook.jpg

We tried to get Ed Harris to be in Dark Country. He was in town (Albuquerque) filming Appaloosa and we hoped there was a chance we could get him for a few days.

The problem was, he was directing too! That made it impossible. DAMN the luck.

However, our loss is also our gain. I can't wait to see Ed's second film as a director. Fuck yes.

- TB

I'm wondering if anyone on here has seen Dead Man's Bounty or as it's known elsewhere Summer Love? It's suppose to be Poland's first western film, and it's also known as the movie that Val Kilmer plays a dead body.

dmbrq9.png

We tried to get Ed Harris to be in Dark Country. He was in town (Albuquerque) filming Appaloosa and we hoped there was a chance we could get him for a few days.

The problem was, he was directing too! That made it impossible. DAMN the luck.

However, our loss is also our gain. I can't wait to see Ed's second film as a director. Fuck yes.

- TB

Dean Semler shot Appaloosa so expect some amazing visuals. I was in talks with Semler's agent a few months back and he said that (factoring his personal bias to his client) that Dean's work was once again outstanding.

Harris' direction will be great - he is a huge western fan so expect a sincerity in his perspective.

Nice to see the western genre getting some credibility again.

Andrew

I'm wondering if anyone on here has seen Dead Man's Bounty or as it's known elsewhere Summer Love? It's suppose to be Poland's first western film, and it's also known as the movie that Val Kilmer plays a dead body.

We watched this flick this evening. Would have been easier to follow if the editting had flowed a little better. Some cool images, but also a lot of stupid stuff. We laughed when a guy said, "We'll head him off at the pass." Western cliche alert. I wonder how much Kilmer was paid for laying around on the ground?

k-skye

appaloosaposter1.jpg

Trailer...

appoloosabook.jpg

This looks AMAZING!! I'm really excited about this. I love Ed Harris, and westerns, so I'm sure this will be fantastic. Can't wait to see it.

Here are a few more images from the movie. The images suggest that Harris has been very true to the book.

appaloosapic10.jpg

appaloosapic8.jpg

appaloosapic17.jpg

appaloosapic13.jpg

2231885791_8216d5abe1.jpg

2232666644_ba3c25690f.jpg

appaloosa-movie-image-6.jpg

appaloosa-movie-image-2.jpg

appaloosa-movie-11.jpg

Parker's continuation of this story was released in June. RESOLUTION, is available in hardcover only right now, but it is damned fine reading.

The announcement in today's Variety that Johnny Depp would be playing Tonto in a movie version of The Lone Ranger seemingly came out of nowhere, especially given that there wasn't even a Lone Ranger attached. But now Ain't It Cool has it from one of their many trusted sources that none other than George Clooney is interested in the role.

Apparently undeterred by the fact that everyone hated him the last time he played a masked crime fighter, "George Clooney has shown a lot of interest in the role of the Lone Ranger, and the studio's been talking to him about it." He'll be replacing Nic Cage, who had been interested in the part, and who would have taken this already questionable idea into outright disaster territory.

Full article:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new.php?id=10325

Guest FADoss

I think Clooney has developed a LOT as an actor since Batman...and I also think that his failures there were similair to Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman's HORRIBLE performances in the Star Wars films. Direction plays a key part in performance!

Fred

god...this sounds awful...Clooney and Depp are bad choices for this movie, comedy or not, they will suck at this...what the hell is Depp doing? Doesn't Tim Burton have a movie for him to do somewhere? I hate it when Hollywood sticks a non-native american in a native american role. It sucked 40 years ago when they did it (Anybody remember Jeff Chandler as Geronimo?) and it sucks worse today when they do it.

Regardless of who would star in it, I think the Lone Ranger should stay retired. In comedy westerns as well as serious westerns...yeesh, the thought upsets my gallbladder....

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, if it's blazing saddles funny, I'll be interested to see it. But I'm expecting Wild, Wild, West shenanigans in more of a Maverick style film. The one with Gibson.

I've never ever been a fan of the lone ranger. I can't get past the baby blue outfit, and even when I was a kid I knew there was something hinky about Tanto and the Ranger.

I say take the budget for this movie, fire Depp, hire Walter Hill and Tom Jane, and have Todd farmer write it, and you've got your Jonah Hex film RIGHT THERE.

:)

Um, isn't Clooney just a tad old to play The Lone Ranger?

Unless an older character makes sense.

If it's assumed that we know all about his trials and tribulations as a crime fighting hero of the west and this is a tale that takes place later in the canon then perhaps that's cool. But somehow I doubt that's the game plan. Also, isn't Depp part Cherokee? So he would at least have some Native American blood inside his veins.

Yes, the idea of a Lone Ranger film sounds silly. In an age where the Western genre is fighting for box office life why make a big budget western with a lead who is too old for the part and has never entered into the western arena before? Is anyone clamoring to see George Clooney in a western? Not many I fear.

The only way to make it financially viable for Disney IS to go Wild Wild West (film) with the material in order to make it more accessible to the general movie going audience.

I can already see them hiring Gore Verbinski to direct and going Pirates of the Caribbean with the tone.

Over the top Hollywood entertainment vehicle. No thanks, we don't want or need a western like that.

Uhg.

- TB

PS - But let me say this too - IF they do this the right way, I'd pay to see it.

Something I do want to rant about is Universal continuing to let Lonely Are The Brave rot on the vine.

Below is a straight up account, but there is good news for folks with region free players -

Courtesy of Joe Doherty from the Amazon reviews

(I have edited this statement)

LONELY ARE THE BRAVE is one of the most eagerly requested movies by collectors! Yet Universal's point blank refusal to issue it is nothing short of doctrinaire and smacks of enormous contempt for the DVD buying public. On these pages for the past five years or more collectors have been hollering for this movie to be released. It would make one wonder if the powers that be ever go into Amazon.Com and read these wish lists at all?

However, in the case of "Lonely Are The Brave" all is not lost as it has just been released in Spain on Region 2 and I have to say what a marvellous issue it is. It is presented in a crisp and well defined 2.35 widescreen format in two languages - English and of course Spanish.

Kirk Douglas is terrific in the story we all know and love of the free spirited latter day cowboy who resents the convention and restrictions of modern times. All he wants to be is an individual and refuses to be labelled or fenced in (the wire cutters he carries in his saddlebag gets plenty of use). On the run from the law because of a misdemeanour he takes to the hills with his faithful horse in an attempt to escape into Mexico. It is one of Douglas's more likable roles! Being alone for a good portion of the film he dominates the screen. It is an admirable and engaging performance plus his expert handling of the horse is quite remarkable. Giving excellent support is Walter Matthau as the compassionate sheriff in pursuit who secretly hopes the cowboy makes it over that mountain, John Schillart as his conscientious deputy and in only his second movie role George Kennedy as a vicious guard.

Sharply photographed in black & white Panavision by Phil Lathrop the film, based on the novel "The Brave Cowboy" by Edward Abbey is splendidly written by Dalton Trumbo. David Miller - a director who never really distinguished himself except maybe with "Sudden Fear" in 1953 - surprisingly did a nice job in the director's chair and composer Jerry Goldsmith provides a wistful score in one of his outstanding early efforts.

A terrific issue of a great movie that every collector will want to own albeit only on Region 2. Those with multi region players will have no worries!

Those who don't will have some thinking to do.

Viva Espana!

There is this quick bit about the DVD too - From Brian D -

"If anyone in the USA/Canada is wondering, this Spanish Region 2 PAL release of Lonely Are the Brave is nicely done. True widescreen (not letterboxed) and removable subtitles. It's a good substitute until the studio powers that be get around to releasing a Region 1 version of this great, sadly underrated American classic."

Only two available but you can find them here at Amazon.

If you think you've seen everything that's worth seeing, but you haven't yet seen Lonely Are The Brave, you are in for a treat.

LonelyRtheBrave.jpg

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

There are VHS copies of it floating around too. For those of us who decided to keep their VHS players.

There are VHS copies of it floating around too. For those of us who decided to keep their VHS players.

I've got mine, it jammed once and now has a scotch tape spot in it. I think I'll have to dig it out and rewatch it tonight.

See, I just can't do videotape.

Not unless there is a widescreen version available on VHS.

Seeing a pan and scan version holds little interest for me.

I need to see the whole picture, especially in the case of a film of this nature, lots of outdoor cinematography.

And nothing is cooler than seeing a gorgeous, sharp, black and white print of a film you love in it's correct aspect ratio.

It's like food of the Gods ;)

- TB

PS, Irish, I'd have paid money to see your face when you realized your tape had snapped.

My VCR used to eat them alive. I have quite a few older tapes with the obligatory scotch tape splice ;)