irish46

WESTERN MOVIES

Hey, thanks for the info on a sequel to DANCES, I had heard mention of it sometime ago and then just lost track of it. Like I say, I'll see it if Costner is in it. The guy is like the Gary Cooper of our day.

Some of my favorite Costner roles are when he plays a character who isn't such a nice guy, Like in

A PERFECT WORLD, 3000 MILES TO GRACELAND and even in FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME he was a real turd at the start!

I missed MR. BROOKS at the theatre so I'm waiting for it to hit video.

Guest FADoss
Hey, thanks for the info on a sequel to DANCES, I had heard mention of it sometime ago and then just lost track of it. Like I say, I'll see it if Costner is in it. The guy is like the Gary Cooper of our day.

Some of my favorite Costner roles are when he plays a character who isn't such a nice guy, Like in

A PERFECT WORLD, 3000 MILES TO GRACELAND and even in FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME he was a real turd at the start!

I missed MR. BROOKS at the theatre so I'm waiting for it to hit video.

Mr Brooks hit video a week or two ago. Check the video store...

Best Costner role:

Thomas Murphy

murphylf3.jpg

The guy picks a fuckin fight with Courteney Cox, punches a 10 year old kid in the face and kills Jon Lovitz with a bow and arrow.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, I enjoyed the hell out of watching Costner in 3000 MTG. He was running circles around everyone else in the film. When he's facing down the cops and says "You don't want none a' me" it really drove home for me that this was Costner having a party with an acting role, like he hadn't done in a long time. I just wished he'd killed Kevin Pollack. I hate that guy! :)

Still, one of my favorite death scenes. When he opens up with the squad rifle, I was like a pig in shit.

Mr Brooks hit video a week or two ago. Check the video store...

Cool, thanks man!

The duel with the sheriff did it for me. "Fuckin cowboy". Oh, and I liked watching Christian Slater get plugged. That guy's entire purpose in cinema is to get publicly fucked up by Kevin Costner. The arrow to the hand was still more impressive. I expected Costner to suddenly pop-up in True Romance and smash a beer bottle into Slater's face. I didn't know he was gonna be such an evil fuck in 3KMTG. The trailers made the movie look like Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man.

-TL

The duel with the sheriff did it for me. "Fuckin cowboy". Oh, and I liked watching Christian Slater get plugged. That guy's entire purpose in cinema is to get publicly fucked up by Kevin Costner. The arrow to the hand was still more impressive. I expected Costner to suddenly pop-up in True Romance and smash a beer bottle into Slater's face. I didn't know he was gonna be such an evil fuck in 3KMTG. The trailers made the movie look like Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man.

-TL

Ha,Ha,Ha, I agree, I thought the same thing about the movie. I thought the same exact thing....fuck..that scares me,,,maybe I need my head examined? JOKING!!

But yeah, I was really blown away when I seen this movie at the theater, it was not what I was expecting.

They oughtta make a prequel showing how Mike and Murph got thrown in the joint. I like the idea of Elvis' 2 ilegitimate sons growing up to be outlaws and finding each other in prison. Good fuckin writing.

-TL

Guest FADoss

I hated 3000 Miles to Graceland...was so stoked to see it too.

I much preferred him in "A Perfect World" or even "The Postman".

I think out of all the modern westerns, Road House is the most memorable. The premise for the film is pure 1800s Arkansas and the characters are all there to serve a purpose. Very few westerns have useless supporting actors. Dalton woulda been toxic back in 1880. Wade Garrett on the other hand woulda fit right in.

wadegarrettke5.jpg

Tiny "Mountain" Ron: "Do you wanna fight dickless?"

Wade: "Well I sure ain't gonna show you my dick."

The funniest thing about this movie is that throughout the entire film, people keep makin fun of Sam Elliot's age.

Tilghman: "I need somebody to help me clean the place up. I need the best."

Dalton: "Wade Garrett's the best."

Tilghman: "Wade Garrett's gettin old."

Wade: "How's it goin Miho?"

Morgan: "Mind your own business, DAD."

I think had Wade not been killed in the third act, at some point in the movie someone woulda offered him a fucking wheelchair. They thought he was a hundred years old or something.

-TL

When I read through this topic, I keep thinking about a couple of old westerns I saw on TV years ago. Shane with Alan Ladd and Rawhide with Tyrone Power and Susan Hayward. I could drop everything and watch those if they show up on TV, but I don't see them much anymore. Another, not quite so old. western I liked was Will Penny with Charlton Heston. Donald Pleasence and Bruce Dern are the bad guys in that one.

Going slightly off topic, another good, older Charlton Heston flick is The War Lord. If you're into medievel type stuff, you've got to see that one.

Well it is not a WESTERN in the true meaning of the word...but by god and John Wayne it is in it's spirit and soul!

I just got my brand new digitally remastered copy or OUTLAND!!!! yippee, joy, joy!

and man was it a pleasure to watch!!! I love this movie!

but I do have to admit that the dvd extras are a load of crap, almost nothing at all.

Awww, but it is worth it to hear Sean Connery say "Fuck it" and then deck the bad guy!

My favorite western is The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I love the characters, the greed, the music, and the end rules.

I love Sergio Leone movies.

I love Val Kilmer in Tombstone as Holliday.

Let's see... Conagher (Sam Elliot), Red Headed Stranger (Willie Nelson), Open Range, the new 3:10 to Yuma...

I also love the old Akira Kurosawa Samurai films, which really set the tone of Leone's films. I whole heartedly recommend Yojimbo and Seven Samurai. They're really westerns with swords.

Guest FADoss

Yeah and Seven Samurai translated perfectly to The Magnificent Seven (what a remake SHOULD be). Although I found Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress" bored me to tears, despite it being one of Lucas's primary inspirations for "Star Wars". Some of his other stuff didn't set well with me either, but Seven Samurai was classic!!!

I was looking to buy a copy of ONE EYED JACKS with Marlon Brando but there are so many different dvd versions that I don't know which one is the best buy and has the greatest quality.

Anyone know?

JO

Comes A Horseman (1978)

Director: Alan J. Pakula

Writer: Dennis Lynton Clark

Music: Michael Small

Cinematography: Gordon Willis

James Caan ... Frank 'Buck' Athearn

Jane Fonda ... Ella Connors

Jason Robards ... Jacob 'J.W.' Ewing

George Grizzard ... Neil Atkinson

Richard Farnsworth ... Dodger (nominated for supporting actor oscar)

Takes place near end of WWII. Jane Fonda stars as Ella Connors, a single woman who's getting pressured to sell her failing cattle farm to her corrupt ex suitor, Jacob Ewing (Jason Robards). She asks for help from her neighbor, Frank Athearn (James Caan). As Ella and Frank fight back through stampedes, jealousy, betrayal, and sabotage...they eventually find love.

I saw this flick when it first came out in theaters, apparently thirty years ago, and liked it then. I found it on netflix and watched it again last night, and I still like it. Technically, it's a western since there are cattle and horses and people getting shot. But it's the character development that I really like in this movie. The changing relationship between Frank and Ella over time and how that is depicted in the film. The little bit of humor is understated and natural. I don't think James Caan was necessarily the best person to cast in this role, but he was a hot property at the time, so I can understand why - and he does okay. Jane Fonda is well suited for the role of Ella. If your viewing requirements are nekkid women and spurting blood, you won't like this flick. But it is a thoughtful piece IMO.

kwiat-skye

This may have been mentioned already but I'm too lazy to go back and look.

tombstone_mustaches.jpg

One of my favorite westerns. Val Kilmer is the shit as Doc Holliday and Kurt Russel is a badass as Wyatt Earp. You can't go wrong with this film.

-Raffi

This may have been mentioned already but I'm too lazy to go back and look.

tombstone_mustaches.jpg

One of my favorite westerns. Val Kilmer is the shit as Doc Holliday and Kurt Russel is a badass as Wyatt Earp. You can't go wrong with this film.

-Raffi

Kilmer out and out stole that movie from everybody. He was amazing. It was a far better western compared to Costner's take on the same subject, which was undeniably stolen by Quaid as Doc Holiday and a very enjoyable historical spin. But Tombstone was way more fun to watch.

Great add Raffi, I don't think it had been mentioned yet by the way.

Thanks Irish

You know Wyatt Earp wasn't a bad film either. I think it's a good biography on the title character. Tombstone is primarily based on the gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

-Raf

You know Wyatt Earp wasn't a bad film either. I think it's a good biography on the title character. Tombstone is primarily based on the gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

-Raf

Kasdan does a great job at writing and directing the epic character. That was his intention from the outset. He gives a grander scope to the saga.

Tombstone was originally supposed to be more epic - Godfather like. However the writer/director Kevin Jarre got fired and Kurt Russell actually picked up the helm with a proxy ghost director Costomos (Stallone had used him to similar effect on Rambo II). That is in part why Russell plays Earp as a non-arcing style character, shifting focus to the others.

Andrew

Guest AdminGuyX

A fellow from one of the prop boards I frequent posted this link, and I figured some of you guys might enjoy this interview with one of the guys who makes holsters for films like 3:10 to Yuma and Tombstone.

http://playingforblood.com/blog/2008/04/28...ie-prince-rigs/

Lots of good information on the playing for blood site in general too, worth surfing around a bit.

And if you're interested to see some cool props from 3:10 to Yuma, here is the board/thread it came from

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=46775

Njc-------------