irish46

WESTERN MOVIES

I just couldn't hold out any longer and I had to start a WESTERN MOVIE thread.

Damn but I love westerns. I'll start with this movie,

HEAVEN'S GATE, directed by Micheal Cimino, staring Kris Kristofferson and Christopher Walken.

It's been totally trashed by the critics, but was nominated for 5 academy awards. And it won one of them, art direction, I think?

It's been credited with bringing down the studio that financed it, destroying Cimino's career and ending the golden age of hollwood when a director could call all the shots. Man that's a lot to heap on a flick that cost 36 million or so. Of course in 1980 that was a lot of cash. I thought I'd bring this one up because most people love it or hate. Me...?

I hate it. Parts of it don't make any sense at all. and the damn thing was originally 3 1/2 hours long. I'd say it's the original bleak western, and I honestly don't care for Kris Kristofferson as an actor. Also this thing was hyped like you wouldn't believe. Cimino was coming off THE DEER HUNTER (amazing movie!) and everybody was eager to see his new one. I went to see it when it was released and I couldn't sit through it, I thought it was dreadful. So a couple of years ago I rented it and tried again, this time I tried the 149 minute re-issue, I'm not sure if that made it worse or not? for me there were far to many cons and not enough pros. Stinko.

A little exchange of words somewhere in the west...

The three men hold on tight to their pistols as the train comes to a stop at the station. No-one appears to have gotten off. The men begin to walk away, but suddenly hear a tune that appears to be written in hell. Comin from the tracks. They turn around to discover the man behind the music. He continues to play as they eye him down.

Harmonica: "Where's Frank?"

Snaky: "Frank sent us."

The lone gunman notices the three horses tied to the station pen behind the men.

Harmonica: "Did you bring a horse for me?"

Snaky: "Well, looks like we're...Looks like we're shy one horse."

Harmonica shakes his head as the men laugh.

Harmonica: "You brought two too many."

Seconds later he blows them away.

charlesbronsonisharmonimk2.jpg

I can't think of a western better than Once Upon A Time In The West. Charles Bronson lives FOREVER in this epic.

-TL

Now I'm glad Kristofferson couldn't do Dark Country.

To the everlasting chagrin of my wife who's family worships him like a God.

She grew up with "Jesus Was A Capricorn" forever gracing the turntable.

I would have loved to have had Kris. I think where his songwriting is concerned he's one of the great American poets.

I saw him in Austin a few years ago and he comes out on stage in a driving rain wearing a T-shirt with the sleeves ripped off that reads "Free Peltier".

He's just fucking cool.

Don't always love is choices as an actor, but I got no real beef. I dig 'im

Now how's this for being vague?

Since KK is out of Dark Country, the studio is now actively courting a guy I suggested for the role.

He's got legit indie film cred already and as serendipity would have it, is also a singer of the country persuasion.

He's not signed yet so this may not happen.

But see if you can guess who I'm referring to.

Sorry for getting off topic on this so soon IRISH!

I'll attempt to manage this not getting out of control. And if it does I will move it.

- TB

PS - I love that you started this thread with your least favorite western!

Guest AdminGuyX

Alright, I'm guessing Dwight Yoakam. I'm probably wrong, but I'll blame the vein if I am, har har. :)

Oh, and on the western movie front, I just watched High Plains Drifter - AGAIN - and then Pale Rider. I still think that's supposed to be the same character. Maybe Clint just wanted to wear the same costume, I dunno. ;)

Basically all of Clint's movies are really badass westerns. They're all cool as hell in my book.

One that I like that most don't consider a western is the homage to Fistful of Dollars, Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis. That is one hellova movie. Great shootouts.

3:10 To Yuma, the original and remake are both cool in my book.

-JO

Guest FADoss

Wow! I've been on a western kick as of late. I've posted this a few other places, but here seems appropriate as well.

First of all, there is a lack of manly men in Hollywood. Not to be overly flattering to a certain person involved in this board, but I heard from someone who worked on the set of Punisher that all Tom did between takes was do push-ups and smoke cigarettes. I think Tom has that Steve McQueen (STANDER) type air about him that will only with age.

However, the John Waynes, Clint Eastwoods, Charles Bronsons and James Coburns of yesterday have all but disappeared. Replaced primarily with actors doing a lot of fringe work like Tom Sizemore and Michael Madsen. Rose Mcgowan hit the nail on the head in an interview with Maxim about this very subject.

On the subject of Westerns, Clint Eastwood calls them one of the only true American art forms along with blues and jazz(not sure what he thinks of comics). I tend to agree. We need more Westerns.

As far as my favorites, I'd have to say "Rio Bravo" is the best ever. Great characters...editing in 59 that would fly in modern theaters...good story. Plus Dean Martin is fabulous!

Other of note...I'm sorry, "Young Guns" never shows up on any of these top western lists and I LOVE that flick. "The Magnificent Seven" is amazing with Yule Brenner, James Coburn, Charles Bronson and the great Steve McQueen. Though Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" was also fantastic so I wasn't surprised.

I just bought "Once Upon a Time in the West". Looking to give it a try soon. Very busy of late.

Thank God "3:10" and the new Pitt film are giving more attention to this American Art.

Frederic Doss

Once Upon a Time in the West is at the top for me. This movie says so much with out saying too much on screen. You don't see that today. Plus, Bronson, pure badass. Closly following is A Fistful of Dollars, The Propostion, and Django.

Dwight is a great guess. Speaking of, I had Billy Bob on my mind. He has indy cred, though it seems like he needs dive back in and grab hold of it again. Those two where great in Sling Blade.

Guest AdminGuyX

An adaptation of Blueberry (Jean "Mœbius" Giraud's comic book) was made that I saw about half an hour of it on cable. It's called "Renegade" here in the states, and was directed by the guy who did Dobermann. There is 1 shot in the part I saw where Vincent Cassel looks exactly like Eastwood in Josey Whales. I mean, its eerie wierd how much he looked like him.

Anybody here see the flick?

An adaptation of Blueberry (Jean "Mœbius" Giraud's comic book) was made that I saw about half an hour of it on cable. It's called "Renegade" here in the states, and was directed by the guy who did Dobermann. There is 1 shot in the part I saw where Vincent Cassel looks exactly like Eastwood in Josey Whales. I mean, its eerie wierd how much he looked like him.

Hell yeah, the one with Vincent Cassel, Michael Madsen and Juliette Lewis. I saw it some time back. Got it for my Father and he loved it. But I agree with you on the Josey Wales thing which I might add is one of my all time favorite movies.

-JO

JO, ya got my full attention when you mentioned Last Man Standing - written and directed by Walter "The Driver" Hill. Just don't forget, Last Man was a modern (1920s) take on Sergio Leone's A Fistful Of Dollars yes. But, Fistful of Dollars was a modern (1870s) take on Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo starring Toshiro Mifune.

-TL

JO, ya got my full attention when you mentioned Last Man Standing - written and directed by Walter "The Driver" Hill. Just don't forget, Last Man was a modern (1920s) take on Sergio Leone's A Fistful Of Dollars yes. But, Fistful of Dollars was a modern (1870s) take on Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo starring Toshiro Mifune.

-TL

Yep, it sure was. In my opinion they all kick ass.

-JO

Open Range, simply for the fact that when Kevin Costner walks up to this asshole he says,

"You the man who shot our friend?"

"Yeah"

Then BOOM, Costner pulls out his colt and pops him in the fuckin' face. Now that's badass.

-JO

Guest AdminGuyX

Another great moment in Open Range is when Costner moves through the shadows to save Annette Bening. The moment before he shoots that guy is so tense, and perfectly executed.

Another great moment in Open Range is when Costner moves through the shadows to save Annette Bening. The moment before he shoots that guy is so tense, and perfectly executed.

Man, that scene is so crucial and on edge. I loved every second of it.

-JO

My guess is John Mellencamp. I don't know why.

Loved Open Range.

Particularly liked Chief Dan George in the Outlaw Josey Wales. "We endeavoured to persevere. Then we declared war."

An old favorite is My Name is Nobody.

Robbie Benson????..hehehehe!

I really love the Sergio Leone trilogy with Clint Eastwood. (The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More)

Also;

The Outlaw Josey Wales ( "I'm scared, Josey" -"You shoulda stayed home, boy.")

Rio Bravo

The Cowboys

Angel & the Badman

Rio Lobo

El Dorado

The Train Robbers

The Great Train Robbery

Sons of Katie Elder

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

High Noon

High Plains Drifter

Hang 'Em High

Big Jake

Three Godfathers

McClintock

My Name is Nobody

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Two Mules for Sister Sara

Unforgiven

Tombstone

Also love the Trinity trilogy with Terrence Hill (My Name is Trinity, They Call Me Trinity, & Trinity is Still My Name)

mediumfan

Guest FADoss
Open Range, simply for the fact that when Kevin Costner walks up to this asshole he says,

"You the man who shot our friend?"

"Yeah"

Then BOOM, Costner pulls out his colt and pops him in the fuckin' face. Now that's badass.

-JO

I love this part:

Sue Barlow: You're a disgrace, Marshal Poole. You always have been.

Sheriff Poole: I know it. That's just the way it is.

What a retort...and he says the line flawlessly.

I was privy to a conversation with Kevin on the set of "Swing Vote" (I did a football scene with him as 1 of 6 secret service agents...cool). He apologized for his fanning the revolver in the film and firing about 10 rounds from a 6 shooter.

He also said something about making a sequel to "Open Range" or AT LEAST a new Western...Here's Hoping.

Frederic

Guest FADoss

I really tried to watch "Renegade" but hated it...

I kept seeing Cassel in the role of Gambit in that film...and for more than just the accent. X-4? :)

Mistah Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself

Gotta go top pick - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Got a chance to see it on the big screen a few years back.

Seen it dozens of times previously and it was like I was watching it for the first time.

In a way, I was.

Jerry Fielding's score is the perfect compliment.

John Vernon should have done more westerns.

See if you can tell who's pic that is hanging on the wall of my bar -

tim.studio26505.jpg

- tb

Alright, now ya got me started with Josey Wales. The BEST revenger western, where you know what made the anti-hero (in Once Upon a Time in the West you don't find out 'til the end).

dangeorgeji8.jpg

Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood) sneaks up on Lone Watie (Chief Dan George) and puts a gun to his head...

Josey: "Howdy."

Watie: "Howdy."

Josey: "Name's Josey Wales."

Watie: "I've heard of that name. Some said you'd be headed this way...and they said a man could get rich on reward money if he could kill you."

Josey: "Seems like you was lookin' to gain some money here..."

Watie: "Actually I was lookin' to gain an edge. I thought you might be someone who would sneak up behind me with a gun."

Josey: "Now where'd you ever get an idea like that? Besides it ain't supposed to be easy to sneak up behind an Indian."

Watie: "I'm an Indian alright. But here in the Nation they call us the 'Civilized tribe'. They call us civilized because we're easy to sneak up on.

White men have been sneaking up on us for years.

Josey: "Cherokee huh?"

Watie: "Yeah. They sneaked up on us and they told us we wouldn't be happy here. They said we would be happier in the nations. So they took away our land and sent us here.

I have a fine woman and two sons - but they all died on the trail of tears and now the white man is sneaking up on me again."

Watie notices Josie isn't pointing the gun at him anymore.

Josey: "It seems like we can't trust the white man."

This is a REAL western - and it was made in 1976. Take that! people that thought the western died with John Wayne.

-TL