Sign in to follow this  
mediumfan

3-D Biz is booming!

Just wanted to post this for all you 3-D fanatics out there. I posted an article yesterday in the Dark Country thread about new technology in the 3-D industry and the current trend and resurgence of

3-D in Hollywood. Seems it isn't just confined to Hollywood. Even talk shows are getting into the act now. USA Today is reporting that Live with Regis & Kelly will do a Halloween show totally in 3-D. Should be interesting, if you can stand to listen to their banter. Here's the article.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/entertainment/20...-and-kelly.html

Mediumfan

This is freakin' awesome. It's like everywhere I turn, someone is talking about doing 3-D in some way. And now, one of my favorites, that masterful storyteller and television genius, Glenn Gordon Caron, is at it again. His 3-D episode in season 2 of Medium was incredible, and now he wants to do another one, this time a WHOLE episode. THAT would be so absolutely fan-damn-tastic. Here's the article.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...e599d69d65616c8

I LOVE this guy! Hey, Thomas, you know what to do. You gotta help him get this done, man. I'm dying to see another episode of Medium in 3-D.

Mediumfan

Found this interesting article in Variety. It's so cool how all of a sudden everybody's talking about this. Or have I been on Mars or something?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797387...=1&nid=2562

Also found this one about Frank Darabont being honored at the ShowEast festival. Goodonya, Frank

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797387...=1&nid=2562

There's also an article about the events at the ShowEast festival in Orlando, and there are a couple of events spotlighting the current trend toward digital technology, and the resurgence of 3-D technology in Hollywood. Check it out.

Mediumfan

More interesting news about the upsurge in 3-D technology in Hollywood. This is good for the 3-D business, but unfortunately it won't be in time for Dark Country.

Click here to read more.

Mediumfan

Thanks for sharing that, Jen. I started this thread because I noticed that after I started reading about Dark Country here, then I started seeing more and more stuff about 3-D everywhere, and it looks like 3-D is getting ready to make a comeback in a big way. It's exciting, especially what Thomas and Co. are doing, because theirs is so cutting edge. Can't wait to hear more about this.

mediumfan

It's exciting, especially what Thomas and Co. are doing, because theirs is so cutting edge. Can't wait to hear more about this.

mediumfan

Me neither Mediumfan! :)

Here is another article I found online, this one specifically about Dark Country; here's the link with a short excerpt:

"Thomas Jane's first directoral debut "The Dark Country" which is being filmed in 3D and slated for release in 2008 has filmed their behind-the-scenes (BTS) action and interviews ALSO IN 3D. The movie's DVD will feature segments from between takes and what happens behind the camera using a two camera system in 3D. This is the first time ever that a production will have DVD features available in 3D..."

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2007/12/excl...ing-behind.html

Jen

I love the idea of more 3D movies (as long as they're not gimmick-y and take you out of the illusion) but sadly for me, my local cinema's don't seem to want to support/promote 3D. Neither Beowulf nor Journey to the Centre of the Earth were released in 3D in my city (although strangely Monster House was, and it was good fun) so it doesn't give me much hope of coming across The Dark Country in 3D sadly.

Just one question for Tim or Tom - Do you think there is any chance The Dark Country will be released in 3D on DVD/Blu-Ray? You'd think with Blu-Ray they could easily get both versions of the movie on the disk like I hear they are going to do with The Mist - can't wait to see that in Black and White - still not out on DVD in Europre (WHY!!! Why did we have to wait until July 2008 before it was released here!!!)

Looks like the 3-D biz is really starting to get its legs under it, and is gearing up for a big takeoff. Nikki Finke over at DeadlineHollywoodDaily posted this article a few days ago about a project at USC working on developing 3-D technology for the home. So it looks like in addition to more theaters making the switch to digital in preparation for a rush of 3-D releases, that there's movement afoot on the homefront too.

Looks exciting. I hope that this technology moves along pretty quickly so that when movies like Dark Country come out on dvd it'll be more readily accessible and make for easier viewing at home.

But I'm still hoping to see it in the theater to get the full 3-D effect.

Looks exciting. I hope that this technology moves along pretty quickly so that when movies like Dark Country come out on dvd it'll be more readily accessible and make for easier viewing at home.

But I'm still hoping to see it in the theater to get the full 3-D effect.

Me, too! B)

thanks for the information and link :lol: . many many thanks. :rolleyes: At this year's show, several displayed and discussed advances in three-dimensional, high-definition (HD) TV in the home, led by Panasonic, which says it is trying to have the framework of an industry-wide standard completed this year.

LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Television makers are scrambling this year to lay the groundwork for 3-D TV, hoping viewers will be able to reach out and touch their movies as soon as 2010, when the global economy may begin to recover.

Now that flat-panel TVs -- once the belles of the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas -- have become de-rigueur in many homes around the globe, the world's top TV manufacturers are searching for the next big idea to spark consumer demand.

At this year's show, several displayed and discussed advances in three-dimensional, high-definition (HD) TV in the home, led by Panasonic, which says it is trying to have the framework of an industry-wide standard completed this year.

Their selling point: bringing the in-your-face, out-of-the-screen immediacy of 3-D pioneering movies such as "Jaws 3D" directly into the living room.

Continue reading: http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainme...E5090R720090110

Article about 3D at SDCC 2009:

"For the first time, the giant annual convention for fans of comics, movies, superheroes, science fiction and video games that has become a major event on Hollywood’s calendar — now in its 40th year — devoted almost an entire day to presenting films in 3-D..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/24/business...mu&emc=mua2

Jen

Would anyone buy a 3-D TV?

To me, it depends on how the tv looks when I'm not watching a 3D movie. Well, that and the price, which I'm sure will be steep right out of the gate.

Would anyone buy a 3-D TV?

I'm would! I did just buy a new one (our old one is older than me!) but I'd be more than willing to get one down the line.

Obviously they are going to be expensive as hell the first few years, but as soon as they drop, I'll be getting one.

Panasonics website has a lot of info on the t.v.'s. It's pretty interesting. I know they talked about the remifications of having buyers paying for a t.v. and a player. Last I heard they were trying to fix that so it does not get too costly. Guess we'll find out by the end of the year.

Well I have a question...

I have cable thru Comcast and if you go on Demand they have I believe it was UP in 3D. Now why would they sell a movie on Demand in 3D if no one has a 3D TV? They announce you can pick up 3D glasses at your local Target or Comcast store. Would it work? Also, when they had that tribute to Michael Jackson, it was supposedly in 3D. I don't have the glasses so I couldn't tell ya if it worked...but what's up with that?

-Aly

The type of 3D for those are the same as the 3D films you pick up in stores. They're not even close to what you got from Avatar, and it's probably not worth the time to pick up the glasses for. I bought Coraline in 3D and was pretty dissapointed. I had hoped the 3D tech for home video had improved, but not so much.

This is not what the 3D t.v.'s are aiming for, and that's why 3D films have had such a hard time to get made. The t.v.'s are going for more of an Avatar experience. I really hope they pull it off, and from the sounds of it, they are getting closer.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

The type of 3D for those are the same as the 3D films you pick up in stores. They're not even close to what you got from Avatar, and it's probably not worth the time to pick up the glasses for. I bought Coraline in 3D and was pretty dissapointed. I had hoped the 3D tech for home video had improved, but not so much.

This is not what the 3D t.v.'s are aiming for, and that's why 3D films have had such a hard time to get made. The t.v.'s are going for more of an Avatar experience. I really hope they pull it off, and from the sounds of it, they are getting closer.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

I was almost on the brink of buying the shit and finding out for myself. You just saved me some loot! Thanks JWeber! You da man! ;)

Also, when they had that tribute to Michael Jackson, it was supposedly in 3D. I don't have the glasses so I couldn't tell ya if it worked...but what's up with that?

-Aly

I saw the tribute to Michael Jackson with the glasses. It was pretty cool. I wasn't sitting that close to the TV, so the stuff didn't come directly at me. It did come out of the TV. It was cool, but if that's the way the 3D TV is going to be, it's not going to be worth the price.

I would buy a 3D TV, but not as soon as they hit the shelves. The price would be scary, but I would also want to wait until all of the kinks would be worked out. And the fact that you would have to buy the glasses separately is dumb. Let's say you buy the TV for $2000 (I'm talking a big screen, so I'm exaggerating a bit), they're still going to make you cough up a few more dollars to actually use it. I think the TVs are only going to come with one pair. If you want a nice premium pair, I believe it's around $50. And that's each!

Picture this. You have a 3D TV, and it works brilliantly. It's a perfect picture, and it does what you want. Would you still go see the 3D version of the film in theaters? Or would you go see the regular, cheaper one and wait for the 3D DVD, which will probably cost you at least $30 (I think those prices of Blu-Ray will go up, too.) What would you do?

I saw the tribute to Michael Jackson with the glasses. It was pretty cool. I wasn't sitting that close to the TV, so the stuff didn't come directly at me. It did come out of the TV. It was cool, but if that's the way the 3D TV is going to be, it's not going to be worth the price.

I would buy a 3D TV, but not as soon as they hit the shelves. The price would be scary, but I would also want to wait until all of the kinks would be worked out. And the fact that you would have to buy the glasses separately is dumb. Let's say you buy the TV for $2000 (I'm talking a big screen, so I'm exaggerating a bit), they're still going to make you cough up a few more dollars to actually use it. I think the TVs are only going to come with one pair. If you want a nice premium pair, I believe it's around $50. And that's each!

Picture this. You have a 3D TV, and it works brilliantly. It's a perfect picture, and it does what you want. Would you still go see the 3D version of the film in theaters? Or would you go see the regular, cheaper one and wait for the 3D DVD, which will probably cost you at least $30 (I think those prices of Blu-Ray will go up, too.) What would you do?

If I spent all that money on the 3D TV and the glasses...better believe I'm gonna use it all the time...I'd forget about the theater. LOL